Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Salt In The Wound posted:

Can I just say thanks for this thread? As someone who was looking to start following MMA but wasn't really sure where to begin, this has been of great help and interest.

Enjoying MMA doesn't take a huge investment because any two fighters who "go for it" will put on a good show. I've been watching for two years and I still see plenty of names I don't recognize at all (mostly in the Japanese promotions). It takes time to learn the different disciplines (wrestling, jiu jitsu, judo, the forgotten art karate) to truly appreciate the "battle" that goes on between fighters but you can enjoy any fights today without knowing much.

Speaking of disciplines RobBorer, not sure if you want to deal with the hassle of doing this but it might be cool to explain some of the major fighting disciplines/styles one will see in MMA. Nothing too thorough, but maybe pick the best fighter that represents their martial art and give some details about it.

Do a little section about "grinders" and show Jon Fitch then ask people to wait 15 minutes before continuing on to the next fighting style.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Giovanni Qobras posted:

Please use the reserved post for a section on Olympic hero, convicted felon, therapeutic testosterone tiny ball having, money laundering, aspiring politician, WCW powerplant graduate, Rowdy Roddy Piper protege and #1 pfp Chael Sonnen, Chael Sonnen

"UFC suspended" too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

so getting down to brass tacks, what thread tags do you guys need? I think UFC, StrikeForce, and Boxing tags are a given, but what else specifically?

Strikeforce tag is a bit much. The promotion is growing but it doesn't represent all B-League promotions. An overall MMA tag would be better.

MMA tag, Boxing tag, Kickboxing tag, Wrestling tag (?), then maybe a tag that has Brock Lesnar holding up a UFC belt. That should about do it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

lil tag i whipped up inspired by the fighting tag.

That is actually really good.

Here is a tag for grappling that I just made

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Wikipedia articles are good; also a brief blurb for each matchup explaining what it means (if anything) in the division or for each fighter's career. It doesn't have to be a huge exhaustive analysis, but something that gives newcomers some kind of context for the fights would be good.

Also just because kensei's doing the OP doesn't mean other people can't chime in as well. Once the thread gets posted, if there's a particular match you're really interested in, feel free to post in the thread giving more details about the background of the fight.

Anderson "The Spider" Silva versus Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort
The main event of UFC 126 for the UFC Middleweight Championship (185 lb division)

Anderson Silva (27-4, 12 fight win streak in the UFC) is considered the "pound-for-pound" best fighter in the world by most fans, MMA journalists, and the UFC's boss himself Dana White. He earned that recognition in part by stopping the former champion Rich Franklin's reign at middleweight and KOing or submitting anyone who has challenged him since. Silva has yet to be knocked out during his MMA career, despite taking some heavy strikes to the chin on occasion. He will be putting his undefeated UFC record, his chin, and the belt on the line when he fights Vitor Belfort.

Anderson Silva is coming off a legendary narrow victory over Chael Sonnen, who was a mere minute and a half away from becoming the new champion and ending Anderson's undefeated record in the UFC. This has brought about speculation that "The Spider"'s time at the top might soon be coming to an end. Fans (and haters) are eager to see if Silva "still has it" when he steps into the Octagon that night.

Vitor Belfort (19-8, 1 year lay off since his last fight) is a former UFC champion in his own right, but that was long ago in terms of how quickly the sport evolves. Vitor doesn't actually have any wins at middleweight in the UFC, but earned the contender's spot after a fast KO against former champion Rich Franklin in 2009 at a catch-weight bout of 195 lbs. He is making his debut in the division in a championship fight. That's pretty cool (if a little undeserved).

Belfort is bringing with him some of the fastest strikes in the middleweight division, where if you blink you might miss what happened. This will be a great challenge for Anderson Silva who has effortlessly dodged and countered his opponent's slower strikes in the past. But Belfort has shown to have a quesitonable heart or "give up" in fights that don't go his way, which won't fly with an Anderson Silva. That combined with the fact that he is coming off a shoulder injury that sidelined him for over a year and his chances don't look great.

Either way this should be a great match-up for UFC middleweight champion.

----------------------------------

Totally feel free to use someone elses write up or do your own thing. I just did my take on it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

A Pale Horse posted:

The other thing you should know about Anderson Silva is that he occasionally has The Most Terrible Fights. Anderson is a brilliant counter puncher, but if someone doesn't try to aggressively engage him he tends to dance, do capoeira moves and punch people in their knees instead of really attacking. This led to 2 title defenses that were called disgraceful by Dana White, a man who's shamelessness when it comes to UFC promotion normally knows no bounds. A lot of people hate him because of those 2 title defenses and want nothing more than to see him lose and go away.

He's the most successful fighter in UFC history going a perfect 12-0 since he joined the org in 2006, with 8 of those wins coming in title fights.

Yeah I had a whole section about "Why would anyone hate this man?" but then I felt it was getting a bit long. I like what you wrote though.

and thanks KidDynamite

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

With UFC being the only major game in town in some markets do they use some sort of certain method for releasing under performing fighters? Is there some sort of set number of losses that put a fighter into the red zone or something like that?

I assume at this point that they more or less have their pick of talent, right?

It varies from fighter to fighter. Keith Jardine was given 4 losses in a row before he was cut from the promotion, meanwhile there was recent controversy over the release of Gerald Harris who was cut after his first loss in the promotion (3-1 UFC record).

What it comes down to is their drawing power (if they have a "name"), how well they perform in a fight (if they put on exciting shows), and what their relationship with the bosses are. But if you put on a crap performance you can be sure Dana White will "set an example" with your release.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

God injured my friend so I can step over his hard work and get the title shot.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

His hard work of waiting nine months

He was building up the Rashad Evans brand during those nine months.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Pneub posted:

There's too many loving Silvas. Are any of the 10 of them related?

The only ones you need to know are

Anderson Silva, the black guy who is the only man to sucessfully out-troll Chael Sonnen.
Wanderlei Silva, the guy who looks like a LoTR creature but he has some pretty sweet highlight reel KOs.
Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, the only man to KO Fedor

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just read a bit of the most recent Strikeforce thread trying to get the swing of things and I see alot of people celebrating Fedor being dealt another loss - is there a reason that he seems pretty hated here?

I've seen a ton of things in the past (on other sites lists and videos and whatnot) saying he was more or less unbeatable until his first real loss. Have people turned against him now that he's lost two in a row or has he largely been seen as overrated by PSP regulars?
people like myself don't hate fedor himself, just his rabid fans and especially his awful management team M-1 Global (that he owns a huge stake of so gently caress fedor a little bit for that anyways).

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bubba Smith posted:

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, the only man to KO Fedor

also gently caress I was so close

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

could we enforce a no fighter bashing rule fatherdog. thx

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Malachamavet posted:

I met someone recently who saw Mark Coleman's penis personally.

like a doctor

or a prostitute

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that sounds awfully like a mma dream to me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Actually the name comes from surf rash, which is what they were originally used to prevent.

fatherdog for mod of the surfing subforum

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Thermos H Christ posted:

The bus driver is driving the bus 8 hours a day 5 days a week. UFC Fighters might spend 45 minutes a year fighting on TV. Medical and travel expenses associated with these fights are covered. If you count sponsorships and bonuses, UFC fighters who make it on TV/PPV probably earn more in 15 minutes than a bus driver does in a year. If they're successful it's going to be a LOT more.

I know the fighters spend a lot of time and money on training, but I seriously doubt many of them spend 8 hours a day at it. I bet a lot of them make as much as the bus driver just from their day jobs as engineers, head bouncers, MMA instructors, shady real estate agents, etc.

bus drivers dont get parkinson's from driving a bus

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Well drat everyone already covered everything else before I hit reply, but to further add: When fighters miss weight by more than a pound you are given two hours to drop the excess weight and step on the scales again. If you are still over the weight limit you are fined 20% of your purse and it either goes to the opponent or to the athletic commission.

So just because a fighter misses weight the first time it does not mean they are automatically fined.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Sue Denim posted:

I also find it some what telling that there isn't 'that brain damaged MMA guy' yet.

There is unfortunately. Gary Goodridge and the sruggle with traumatic brain injury

Thankfully most MMA fighters do not do what Gary did and fight long past his time. One of the reasons why I like UFC is they discourage fighters from competing when they see it's time for them to give it up.

red19fire posted:

Don't most athletic commissions hand out mandatory 30 day suspensions to all fighters on a card after an event?

I don't think it was talked about but some fighters don't listen to the advice of their doctors or follow suspensions (most of them). Some guys like Dan Hardy are literally back in the gym the day after they've suffered a KO loss, when they are supposed to wait a precautionary 30 days.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

MICHAEL BISPING

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I remember Anderson Silva being a class act back in Pride.

I encourage you to watch Demian Maia vs Anderson Silva at UFC 112. report back with your findings.

and welcome back to the wonderful world of mixed martial arts. Current champions to watch are Frankie Edgar, Gilbert Melendez, Dominick Cruz, and Dan "Bones" Hendowns.

if you have not followed the career of Fedor in the last few years, you are in for a very tasty treat.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

projecthalaxy posted:

I realize that Joe Rogan is required to say these things due to being a professional hype man, but on the UFC 135 preview, he called Jon Jones "The greatest pure talent in the history of the UFC". That seems a little suspect, at least at this point. I would hardly call myself a UFC expert but wouldn't someone like Anderson or GSP who ran over a weightclass for years hold that distinction, or even older guys like Liddell or Matt Hughes? Is Jon Jones already considered all-time great like those guys?

The reason why Jon Jones gets the praise he does is because he is essentially undefeated, has never been in danger in any of his fights, and is a champion at 24 years old. He's also just a physical freak in his weight division.

GSP and Anderson Silva have accomplished far more than Jon Jones but Jones has the talent to surpass what they have done in their careers.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Xguard86 posted:

I dont know if you are a football fan, if you are not then this is not helpful and I am sorry.

Jones would be the #1 pick of pretty much any theoretical MMA draft class. Sometimes those number one picks turn into Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman, sometimes they turn into Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell. They are all still #1 picks, no matter how great/terrible they finally play.

...Sometimes, the last pick of the draft turns into Tom Brady, so "greatest pure talent" is really not an infallible measure of total success.

yeah but using that analogy we can see Jon Jones already won a super bowl (the UFC belt). Now it just remains to be seen how many records he sets.

There is no denying Jon Jones has the talent. It isn't a big question like college football players making the transition to the NFL. Jon Jones has already done something like 95% of UFC fighters will never do.

If you did your analogy back when Jon Jones was fighting on the regional circuit then I think it would hold up better.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Agent Tough Juice posted:

fatherdog saying a Jersey fighter is going to be good is like your mom telling you you're handsome

I still haven't seen an explanation given for Ricardo Romero last night.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mark Hunt winning two UFC matches in one year trumps that, i think

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

the "lucky" shot (aka the right circumstances) also factors in on knockouts/knockdowns from time to time. A guy could be charging in at full speed and just gets caught or he could be extremely gassed and an ordinary punch hurts him when he's off guard a bit. It makes it seem like the guy who wins has great knockout power but really the other guy just hosed up or is tired.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

It doesn't matter how careful you are in training, sometimes a Diego Sanchez is going to be practicing wrestling near you and it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

sometimes boxing judges lean over and ask Joe Rogan what just happened in the cage. Joe Rogan is too high to explain what happened.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I found and easier and freer way to catch up on the cards I've missed

please keep in mind once you actually start watching fights you are no longer allowed to make posts in the MMA threads. view fights at your own risk.

unless you're just catching up on old Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg banter during fighter walkouts, then by all means disregard this warning.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

combat sports related question: why was mobn banned and someone buy him a new account please. thank you

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Boregasm posted:

Gilbert Melendez (155) is probably the best non-UFC fighter out there. He hasn't faced many high quality opponents, but he would at least be a contender in the division. 155 is deep as hell so it's hard to say anything with certainty though. A few months ago you could say the same for Alvarez but he just got beat by a a relative unknown in Chandler. 155 rules in general so it's not necessarily a knock on him.

At heavyweight, Barnett and Cormier are about to face each other to determine the king of the non-UFC heavyweights...but the Strikeforce HW division is folding so expect to see them both fight in the UFC by the end of the year. They could both make waves in the UFC, but that's not saying much because heavyweight sucks rear end.

Lightheavyweight I guess it's a toss up between King Mo and Cavalcante. They could be contenders but they're both relatively new to the sport and haven't faced too many notables between each other with much success. They seem solid though.

185 has Hector Lombard but he hasn't fought anybody of note ever. An unproven commodity with an overblown record. My guess is he'd get blown out of the division in the UFC, but maybe I just don't like him after all the stories I've heard about him and his attitude in the gym. Outside of him you have Jacare who I assumed had a very solid skillset, but just got beat by Rockhold who I think is a pretty mediocre fighter. You also have Tim Kennedy, but I'm pretty sure he's Rockhold's twin brother.

At 170 I guess you could say Ben Askren is the best, but he's green as hell. He's still essentially a wrestler.

Excellent post. I like how you left out Gegard Mousasi, good choice.

But I would say Jay Hieron is a pretty decent WW too. He may not be able to hang with the top guys in the UFC but he could beat a Dan Hardy type dude, which goes far in UFC.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I think this is what you wanted

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

2) Possibly. But keep in mind his first two fights have been against Alex Caceres and Nam Phan. Arguably two of the worst featherweights UFC has. His next fight is against Steven Siler, another turd. But he's a cool kid so I wish for him the best of luck.

4) Nick

5) I believe Lesnar had his heart into his training, just not his heart into fighting. After the past two years with all of his medical problems, he likely decided that he doesn't need to risk it when he has a family to take care of. As of now he can earn about the same amount of money doing WWE that he did doing MMA, except he doesn't have to push himself nearly as hard.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

PPV events are not nearly as essential as UFC PPV's are.

They used to be back in the day. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose-colored glasses but I remember every PPV being a big deal during the attitude era.

The bigger point is wrestling has been around for a long time. MMA has at least another decade to go before it catches up to where WWE is now, possibly more when you consider that few people followed MMA in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

nick diaz vs takanori gomi bro

not nate, which happened many years later.