Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Years ago when I did some MMA stuff I was shocked by how Chute Box-y the gym was, i.e. I got knocked clean out my first time sparring...by a sixteen year old...I was 25. But, all the MMA coaches and pros loving dreaded the BJJ classes. They all said, roughly, "Man, they say they are scared to come over here and train. gently caress that! You'll get stuff broken and damaged for life quickly in BJJ!"

And that's why I never put on a gi and went to any BJJ only classes.

That sounds like a really horrible gym giving really horrible advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bell the Cat posted:

Not that I'm complaining because I'm a big Nick Diaz fan, but has this rule ever been enforced?

I think one (or both) of the Diaz's have been warned about it, but there's never been a point deduction or anything that I'm aware of.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Its also really easy to lose a good position if your north/south doesn't work out.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

The success rate on guillotines isn't any lower than any other submission, you just see them a lot because people stick their heads in the right place for them a lot.

Yeah, you definitely see a poo poo-ton of attempts, though the success rate is actually pretty low, ~14% vs an overall submission success rate of ~20%.

(according to fightonomics)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Is it for swelling or too cool down?
Cooling down.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

red19fire posted:

Maybe not purple, but whatever it is above white.
Blue, yeah that sounds way more workable.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Muttonchips posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered my question (especially if you did it without being mean or snarky about it)

mod sass

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

vainman posted:

Yeah, the guy in my av, Shamwow Shamhalaev. Before:

and after. He needed half a pound to make weight.

This is incredible, man I hope he won.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

LordPants posted:

What happened to the triangle from the bottom? Are people just clued in enough that they don't let that happen any more?

As pointed out they still happen and there's also less time spent in guard due to quicker stand-ups, but mainly they're just way less common now due to everyone being at least somewhat trained in BJJ (so yes to your second question).

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dangersim posted:

I don't think stand ups have gotten quicker I think people have just gotten much better at getting back to their feet

I agree they're way better at getting back to their feet. I thought stand-ups were quicker also but I'm probably just selectively remembering lovely stand-ups.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

Last year in Japanese women's wrestling organization World Wonder Stardom, YOSHIKO took on Act Yasukawa. Apparently they'd had some issues in the past and potentially YOSHIKO didn't want to drop the title to Act, but whatever the case, YOSHIKO instantly turns things into a shoot and starts punching the gently caress out of Act. Act, who already had some health issues, including limited sight in one eye, was left with a broken orbital, nose and cheekbone, ultimately forcing her retirement. YOSHIKO was indefinitely suspended and then released. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worked again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXq5clKi7o

Jesus christ, I thought it was over after the first time they dragged her lifeless body back to the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Memento posted:

There isn't a big enough asterisk on that study/sample group.

110 out of 111 brains deliberately donated to a CTE study because their owners/owners' families thought they had CTE had CTE.

That being said, it's probably somewhere on the order of 60-70% of NFL players that will end up with it.

Yeah, I mean it's still a big enough link to be significant since only one person self-misdiagnosed, but they way it's being click-baited as representative of the entire NFL is pretty disingenuous.