Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If no one wants to do a post for boxing I'll write one up during work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Is Mayweather still a champion?

I don't know if he has a belt any more but belts don't matter in boxing as much. Mayweather is P4P the best though. :colbert:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The ring magazine belt is probably the only meaningful one.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Critical posted:

And they won't fight each other. Not that the fight would be any loving good, but the point stands.

Oh gently caress off that fight would be a technical masterpiece. A battle of jabs never to be seen again. I'd be so loving excited if Wlad and Vitali decided to fight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone want to contribute some must watch fights from 2005-present day? I just realized how little I follow modern day boxing and it made me sad.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Here's a post

Boxing is one of the oldest sports in the history of the world. I mean come on it's two men punching each other in the face who doesn't like to watch that? It has developed over the years into the sport we know today.

The Rules
In 1867 the Marquess of Queensberry made the rules that are still followed in boxing to this day.

1. To be a fair stand-up boxing match in a 24-foot ring, or as near that size as practicable.
  2. No wrestling or hugging (clinching) allowed.
  3. The rounds to be of three minutes duration, and one minute's time between rounds.
  4. If either man falls through weakness or otherwise, he must get up unassisted, 10 seconds to be allowed him to do so, the other man meanwhile to return to his corner, and when the fallen man is on his legs the round is to be resumed and continued until the three minutes have expired. If one man fails to come to the scratch in the 10 seconds allowed, it shall be in the power of the referee to give his award in favour of the other man.
  5. A man hanging on the ropes in a helpless state, with his toes off the ground, shall be considered down.
  6. No seconds or any other person to be allowed in the ring during the rounds.
  7. Should the contest be stopped by any unavoidable interference, the referee to name the time and place as soon as possible for finishing the contest; so that the match must be won and lost, unless the backers of both men agree to draw the stakes.
  8. The gloves to be fair-sized boxing gloves of the best quality and new.
  9. Should a glove burst, or come off, it must be replaced to the referee's satisfaction.
  10. A man on one knee is considered down and if struck is entitled to the stakes.
  11. That no shoes or boots with spikes or sprigs be allowed. [6]
  12. The contest in all other respects to be governed by revised London Prize Ring Rules.

Of course there have been slight modifications here and there but that's about the gist of a boxing match. Two men punching each other, with as little clinching as possible, until the end of all the rounds or a ko/tko happens.

The Punches
Jab- this is the beginning of everything in boxing. It is a simple straight punch with the forward hand.
Cross or Straight- This is a straight punch with the back hand
Hook- A punch with a circular motion.
Uppercut- A punch coming from bottom to top.

Those are the four basic punches and all you have to worry about for now.

The Stances
A boxers stance is very important to which of his punches will have more power and what type of punches it will be easier for him to get hit with. Generally stance isn't really a big decider unless a southpaw has a huge problem with straight rights.

Orthodox- This is the stance for almost every right-handed fighter. Left foot is forward right foot is in the back.

Southpaw- This is the stance for almost every left-handed fighter. Right foot forward left foot is in the back.

The Styles
Every boxer has their own style but they can be categorized into 5 archetypes.

Boxer/Out-fighter- This is imo the best style to watch. It's boxing at its purest. The out-fighter fights on the outside(duh) and utiliazes fast, long range punches to do his damage. Every boxer will have an excellent jab and will know how to work the ring.
Notable out-fighters: Ali, Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Boxer-puncher- Boxer punchers tend to be well rounded boxers being able to fight on the inside as well as the outside. They have similar technique to the out-fighter but are able to KO their opponents more often.
Notable boxer-punchers: Sugar Ray Robinson, Manny Pacquiao, Tommy Hearns

Brawler- Boxers with incredible punch strength and not much else. These guys take two punches to give one and that one punch is usually a doozy. Slow and predictable these guys will always have to win by KO.
Notable brawlers: George Foreman, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini

Swarmer/In-fighter- Pressure is the name of the game. Staying incredibly close to their opponents and throwing combinations on top of combinations these fighters will stick to you like white on rice. They use bobbing and weaving to get to the inside and when they get there boy are you in trouble.
Notable in-fighters: Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson

Counter Punchers- These fighters are defensive geniuses that rely on punching when their opponent misses. Capitalizing on your opponents mistakes is difficult though and these guys have to have the mental toughness to stare down punches waiting for their counters.
Notable counter punchers: Juan Manuel Marquez, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney

How these styles match up is what makes the world of boxing interesting and as the saying goes "styles make fights."

The Fighters
This is the rings pound for pound list and includes some of the best guys at various weights. I'm not going to include rankings for each weight class because there are too many and I'm lazy but I will link you to the ring rankings.

1. Manny Pacquiao
    Record: 52-3-2 (38 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #1 | Last Week: #1 | Weeks On List: 374
    Titles: WBO
  2. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    Record: 41-0-0 (25 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #2 | Last Week: #2 | Weeks On List: 72
  3. Sergio Martinez
    Record: 45-2-2 (24 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #3 | Last Week: #3 | Weeks On List: 39
    Titles: WBC, The Ring
  4. Juan Manuel Marquez
    Record: 52-5-1 (38 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #4 | Last Week: #4 | Weeks On List: 203
    Titles: WBA, WBO, The Ring
  5. Nonito Donaire
    Record: 23-1-0 (15 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #5 | Last Week: #5 | Weeks On List: 92
  6. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
    Record: 78-3-1 (42 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #6 | Last Week: #6 | Weeks On List: 40
    Titles: WBC, The Ring
  7. Fernando Montiel
    Record: 43-2-2 (33 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #7 | Last Week: #7 | Weeks On List: 29
  8. Wladimir Klitschko
    Record: 55-3-0 (49 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #8 | Last Week: #8 | Weeks On List: 25
    Titles: IBF, WBO, The Ring
  9. Timothy Bradley
    Record: 27-0-0 (11 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #9 | Last Week: #9 | Weeks On List: 20
  10. Juan Manuel Lopez
    Record: 29-0-0 (26 KOs)
    Ranking: This Week: #10 | Last Week: #10 | Weeks On List: 11

The Fights
Here are some fights that you can look up to get you started in watching boxing there's a seriously long history to this sport so I'm just going to cherry pick some of my favorite fights.
Jack Johnson vs James J. Jeffries
Jess Willard vs Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey vs Gene Tunney
Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling 1-2
Joe Louis vs Billy Conn
Jersey Joe Walcott vs Ezzard Charles 1-3
Jersey Joe Walcott vs Rocky Marciano
Rocky Marciano vs Archie Moore
Floyd Patterson vs Ingemar Johansson 1-3
Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston 1-2
Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1-3
Muhammad Ali vs George Foreman
Muhammad Ali Vs Earnie Shavers
Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran
Tommy Hearns vs Marvin Hagler
Tommy Hearns vs Sugar Ray Leonard 1
Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran 1-2
Hector Macho Camacho vs Edwin Rosario
Hector Macho Comacho vs Sugar Ray Leonard
Mike Tyson vs Trevor Berbick
Mike Tyson vs Donovan Razor Ruddock 1-2
Pernel Whitaker vs Oscar De La Hoya
Pernel Whitaker vs Julio Cesar Chavez
Oscar De La Hoya vs Felix Trinidad
Naseem Hamed vs Kevin Kelly
Naseem Hamed vs Marco Antonio Barrera
Macro Antonio Barrera vs Erik Morales 1-3
Erik Morales Vs Manny Pacquiao 1-2
Israel Vasquez vs Rafael Marquez 1-3
Micky Ward vs Arturo Gatti 1-3
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Emmanuel Augustus
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Diego Corales
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Jose Luis Castillo 1-2
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Zab Judah
Zab Judah vs Kostya Tszyu
Kostya Tszyu vs Diosbelys Hurtado
Kostya Tszyu vs Ricky Hatton
Ricky Hatton vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao
Miguel Cotto vs Manny Pacquiao
Miguel Cotto vs Paulie Malinaggi
Sergei Liakhovich vs Shannon Briggs
Sergei Liakhovich vs Lamon Brewster
Wladimir Klitschko vs Lamon Brewster 1-2

Alright this list could go on for days as I watch a lot of fights and there's tons of fighters I didn't even touch on. These are just some of the personal favorites of mine. Other people need to contribute so that there can be a variety and lower weight figths in here as I don't really watch under 130 guys.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Slaapaav posted:

for mma newbies learn this youtube url
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

the link stay purple but i still click it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RobBorer posted:

Added to the OP. It would be nice if someone could write a Current History part that explains the situation that boxing is in right now and a little history that told how it got that way. I know the gist of it, but I'd rather someone who follows the sport closely explain it.

It's really just greedy promoters and stupid alphabet soup orginizations. The way boxing works today is that if you're a champion you have to pay a fee to the orginization that you hold the belt for if you're going to defend it and so does your opponent. So that basically makes titles meaningless at this point because who honestly wants to pay 50k to fight some scrub that is up in the rankings and a mandatory fight for him. This is how the alaphabet soup titles all came to be. This is why the rankings for none of the titles matter either as they just want a guy that will pay them and they can force the champ to manditorily defend against. Those are the ranking issues. Then the managerial issues are that boxing is run by greedy assholes with bigger egos than the fighters. When you have two top guys that everyone wants to see fight (Floyd v Manny) and they are under different promotion banners it becomes a pissing match to see who can get who to concede to more. This is why a lot of fights don't get made. Then there is the protection factor where managers will keep their fighter fighting journeymen to pad their record so they can get a title shot. Leaving legitimate threats to the top without fights (Paul Williams was in this situation for a long time). These are the major problems with boxing as I see it.

What could remedy all this? An orginization like the UFC I think might work but then you'll end up with tons of others popping up and none of the top guys fighting again. The UFC situation won't work unless you are hyper dominant and that won't happen unless someone wants to invest billions. Maybe a TV deal like the ABC one and every friday night or whatever but people just won't watch. I think the onus is on boxers to stand out and make change like Floyd did when he refused to pay the fee to defend his belt. It's just a very difficult situation. I'd like to here is anyone else has any thoughts as to what could be done to fix boxing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RobBorer posted:

Start a new sport that is the exact same thing as boxing, but uses 4 ounce gloves, 3 rounds of 3 minutes, and uses MMA weight classes. Get on HBO, and use a tournament system with exclusive contracts. Sign young talent and build stars while establishing a new culture.

So basically UFC with none of that gay poo poo.

That would lead to the most hilarious fights ever and basically machine gun punching as there'd be no fatigue to worry about. I don't like the idea of lowering glove weights either as there would be lots of hand injuries.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Uh North South? Leading to hilarious subs and dick in the face.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's pretty awesome Bubba.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Someone make a gif of when Tyson slips 6 or 7 punches and then ko's a dude. I forgot what fight it's from. tia

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

No unfortunately that's not it fawker. It's a lot cleaner slipping the other guys fists never come near Tyson's face. From my recollection Tyson was to the right of the frame and he floors the guy with a left hook.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

niethan posted:

russian_waterpark_brawl.flv

I loving loved that video.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yes sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005