Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I am just so glad they didn't back out at the last minute.

Frank finally got what he wanted and he even managed to make a difference :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I found it interesting that people were literally going "Who the gently caress are you?" when talking to Fury.

Admittedly, this is the first MAX title in the MAX-verse that I've read beginning to end. Guess it's time to track down those Ennis runs I finally should read.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I shouldn't have chosen this to be the first book I read this week. It's all downhill from here.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

picosecond posted:

Is the focus on Irish stuff a big turn-off for other readers? Ennis is an Irish guy who loves New York, a city that was an Irish stronghold for over a century - it would be weird if he didn't touch on questions of modern Irish identity (in the US and Ireland). Ennis does that all the time, after all - the backdrop of his Punisher stories usually touch on broader social questions. Barracuda touches on how corporate crime & street crime intersect, Mother Russia touches on how we still deal with the aftermath of the Cold War, etc.

Ennis has a litany of devices that he managed to avoid for the majority of his MAX run, but he injected most of them into the Kitchen Irish storyline: SAS guys popping up out of nowhere (i.e. The "Who Dares Wins" Hitman storyline), extreme facial disfigurement (i.e. Arseface, Fuckface, et. al.), the Troubles (too many times to mention), etc. It was every fixation rolled into one subpar story. If he hadn't done it a few issues earlier, I'm certain he would have thrown a castration in there.

He managed to address the War on Terror and human trafficking without throwing in a morbidly obese guy, for instance, but for Kitchen Irish, he just got lazy.

(I love most of Ennis's work, but you have to call a spade a spade.)

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Just read #22. Whoa. Had to pause for a minute because I was stunned at how effective it was. That was the closest thing to a happy ending we could've gotten.

Goodbye, Frank. I think you got what you wanted in the end. :smith:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So I am confused, I stopped reading Punisher for a bit during the Ennis run, than got caught up. My confusion is this, they stopped doing Punisher Max with Ennis, than started doing MAX again? Did they start with Punisher Max #1? Would someone be so kind as to hook me up with an image from the new Punisher line so I know what I am looking for when I go buy comics tomorrow? When I type in Punisher Max to google all I get is the Ennis one. Oh and the guy at the comics shop nearby is less than helpful trust me, he cares more about baseball cards.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 9, 2012

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Flaggy posted:

So I am confused, I stopped reading Punisher for a bit during the Ennis run, than got caught up. My confusion is this, they stopped doing Punisher Max with Ennis, than started doing MAX again? Did they start with Punisher Max #1? Would someone be so kind as to hook me up with an image from the new Punisher line so I know what I am looking for when I go buy comics tomorrow? When I type in Punisher Max to google all I get is the Ennis one.

Garth Ennis wrote 60 issues of the book called The Punisher under the Max imprint. Jason Aaron wrote a sequel series called PunisherMAX. People just refer to Ennis' run as Punisher Max even though that's not what the book is called.

There are 22 issues of PunisherMax, all written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Steve Dillon. There are currently 3 collections which collect up to issue 16. Yet to come there is (I think) an unannounced 4 volume which will collect the end of the series and there's been allusions that there will be an Omnibus of the entire run in the future.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 9, 2012

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Would it be worth waiting just for the omnibus? Or collecting the TPB's?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

With Amazon you can probably pull the whole run in trades for like $30, so the only reason to get the Omnibus is if you love the Punisher $70 worth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't forget about all the Post-Ennis issues, minis and one-shots that came before Aaron's run. Oh wait, do forget them, that's what everyone else did because they were forgettable as gently caress for the most part, but my point is that it's still the same continuity.

I did like that one issue where it's just this thug desperately trying to get away while Frank is some kinda Jason Vorhees stalker.

I'm pretty surprised they actually killed ol' Frank, but I suppose everyone who came before Aaron showed us that there's only so much you can do to follow up Ennis' run. It was a pretty awesome closing chapter, too bad it means I won't have an awesome Punisher book to read anymore. Rest in peace, you murderous psycho.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I did like that one issue where it's just this thug desperately trying to get away while Frank is some kinda Jason Vorhees stalker.

I thought the one with the idiots on the boat was amusing, and its Philly-based sequel was enjoyable. Everything else is crap; lame stories with terrible art, especially the White Dresses arc.

I'm pretty pleased with how the whole thing ended. It was a fitting coda to the series; I especially liked how Fury torched the War Journals out of disgust, and the I'M SORRY was a sad little touch. It put the whole thing into perspective, I thought, and humanized Frank; for most of Ennis's series, he was a force of nature. The lackluster intermission between the Ennis and Aarons runs shows that Ennis had taken it to its logical conclusion, and it had nowhere else to go.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm trying to put together a list of all the times Frank Castle has bitten the dust. I'm not counting the massive "Earth blows up" scenarios, but comics that show or specifically allude to him dying. Here's what I have:

- What If Wolverine Was the Lord of the Vampires (1991)
- What If the Marvel Superheroes Lost Atlantis Attacks (1991)
- What If the Punisher Killed Daredevil (1991)
- What If Captain America Founded the Avengers (1991)
- What If Wolverine Was the Lord of the Vampires During Inferno (1992, the art is reused but it's significant enough)
- What If the Punisher Became an Agent of SHIELD (1994)
- What If the Punisher Killed Spider-Man (1994)
- Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe (1995)
- Marvel Ruins #1 (1995)
- Punisher: Purgatory #3 (1998)
- Paradise X #2 (2002)
- Punisher: The End (2004)
- Wha Huh? (2005)
- Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness #2 (2007)
- Bullet Points #5 (2007)
- Punisher Noir #1 (2009. Sort of counts, since it's Frank Sr. who dies and Frank Jr. becomes the Punisher)
- The List: Punisher (2009, leading to Frankencastle)
- Spectacular Spider-Girl #4 (2010)
- Punisher MAX #21 (2012)

Any instances I'm missing?

Gavok fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 11, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I knew that Frank was going to bite the dust in Punisher Max. I also knew they were starting a new storyline with the 616 series of Punisher. However, I have to say going from Max to the main story I'm pretty disappointed with it. I really hope it picks up soon, maybe when they stop this marine storyline it will go into a more interesting storyline.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

Lurdiak posted:

I think I've read this, but I want to make sure/re-read it. What was it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tetris Crowley posted:

I think I've read this, but I want to make sure/re-read it. What was it?

Apparently it's Annual #1, "The Hunted".

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
I stopped reading after Valley Forge as Ennis wasn't the main writer anymore, but now that the Max series has apparently come to an end I just wanted to know if the 3 releases after are worth getting? (Girls in White Dresses, Six Hours To Kill, Welcome to the Bayou)

Or should I just get the Kingpin one? (and did I miss any other max releases?)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Kraxxukalf posted:

I stopped reading after Valley Forge as Ennis wasn't the main writer anymore, but now that the Max series has apparently come to an end I just wanted to know if the 3 releases after are worth getting? (Girls in White Dresses, Six Hours To Kill, Welcome to the Bayou)

I haven't read Girls in White Dresses, though I hear nothing but bad things about it. Welcome to the Bayou is very different for a Punisher MAX story, but I enjoyed it. It's pretty much if Frank ended up as the protagonist in a slasher movie, like if he found himself opposed by the family from Texas Chainsaw Massacre but it's okay because he's Frank loving Castle and not some scared 20-something. Six Hours to Kill is pretty fun and I don't think it deserves being lumped in with the negativity all the non Ennis/Aaron stuff gets.

quote:

Or should I just get the Kingpin one? (and did I miss any other max releases?)

In terms of other MAX releases, there are some one-shots. Those you can most definitely skip. I had some serious buyers remorse on most of those.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gavok posted:

In terms of other MAX releases, there are some one-shots. Those you can most definitely skip. I had some serious buyers remorse on most of those.

I hope you didn't regret buying "Punisher MAX: Hot Rods of Death" by Charlie Huston, because that comic loving rules. It's The Punisher as Mad Max, and it's every bit as awesome as that sounds.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That one I missed. I mainly got ones that were about boring characters doing boring things while Frank appeared for two pages.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well if you want to see MAX Punisher cruising around the desert running over bikers in a bulletproof Charger with a skull painted on the hood, I highly recommend you seek it out.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
Alright, thanks a lot, guess I'll just stick to the Kingpin issue then and get the others some other time maybe.
Another question though, do the three other issues tie in with Ennis' story or did it just kinda end with Valley Forge?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kraxxukalf posted:

Alright, thanks a lot, guess I'll just stick to the Kingpin issue then and get the others some other time maybe.
Another question though, do the three other issues tie in with Ennis' story or did it just kinda end with Valley Forge?

Nothing until Aaron's run ties in with Ennis' run at all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I hope you didn't regret buying "Punisher MAX: Hot Rods of Death" by Charlie Huston, because that comic loving rules. It's The Punisher as Mad Max, and it's every bit as awesome as that sounds.
Agreed. It was eeeeeeasily the best one, and a drat riot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

Nothing until Aaron's run ties in with Ennis' run at all.

The Aaron run definitely follows though. One of the mob guys mentions Frank's exploits in the first issue.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Aaron's Punisher Christmas one-shot owns too.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

That one I missed. I mainly got ones that were about boring characters doing boring things while Frank appeared for two pages.

Butterfly was the worst.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What was the one by David Lapham (I think?) about the guy who keeps his own penis in a jar? Also, why does that exist?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Matt Cruea posted:

What was the one by David Lapham (I think?) about the guy who keeps his own penis in a jar? Also, why does that exist?

Is it me or is all Lapham writes about is something involving a dick?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Manwithastick posted:

Is it me or is all Lapham writes about is something involving a dick?

Not just you. Lapham seems to be a one trick pony who really enjoys genital mutilation. I really liked the guy back on Young Liars, until I realized after Sparta USA and Crossed that it was just more of the same. He just likes to make it gross and confusing to make their stories seem deeper than they really are, and that's a shame.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Saoshyant posted:

Not just you. Lapham seems to be a one trick pony who really enjoys genital mutilation. I really liked the guy back on Young Liars, until I realized after Sparta USA and Crossed that it was just more of the same. He just likes to make it gross and confusing to make their stories seem deeper than they really are, and that's a shame.

Read Stray Bullets and say that again. Seriously. It's a loving tour de force.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So that Punisher death list I talked about earlier? Here's the full write-up. Warning, that sumbitch is long.

From What If #25, here's one of his stranger deaths.

Punisher MAX needed more lizard transformations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Gavok posted:

So that Punisher death list I talked about earlier? Here's the full write-up. Warning, that sumbitch is long.

From What If #25, here's one of his stranger deaths.

Punisher MAX needed more lizard transformations.

Whenever I'm reminded of "Angel Punisher", I cringe. They retconned it so that Satan killed Frank's family, what else needs to be said?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

Whenever I'm reminded of "Angel Punisher", I cringe. They retconned it so that Satan killed Frank's family, what else needs to be said?

To be fair, Ennis also played around with that idea in Born. Well, either satan or the personification of death itself. It was the execution of Angel Punisher more than the concept that was awful really.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

To be fair, Ennis also played around with that idea in Born. Well, either satan or the personification of death itself. It was the execution of Angel Punisher more than the concept that was awful really.

Apologies if I'm restarting something that's been done to death on here, but I always saw it as the personification of WAR :black101: rather than death. Not that it really matters.

(I think Ennis may have said it was Death in an interview, but WAR :black101: always made more sense to me.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Clipperton posted:

Apologies if I'm restarting something that's been done to death on here, but I always saw it as the personification of WAR :black101: rather than death. Not that it really matters.

(I think Ennis may have said it was Death in an interview, but WAR :black101: always made more sense to me.)

Punisher ain't no warrior. There's nothing to what he does BUT death.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Punisher ain't no warrior.

The Punisher of Ennis's MAX run is, you've got both Micro and Nicky Cavella stating it outright in the first arc. Frank says it himself in THE END and probably elsewhere.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

No I mean he literally killed them, as in he pulled the trigger of the gun that killed them while in a human host.

Granted, the execution was lovely overall, but I don't know if Ennis could even make the whole idea work overall, especially with the ending of the first arc being "Frank has learned not to kill criminals and will use his heaven guns to disarm them only!"

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Gavok posted:

Cool. That What If where he joined Shield was one of the few comics I had as a kid and it was awesome. It was a weird as hell Christmas gift from my Grandma that also included another Punisher comic where he tried to beat the poo poo out a bear and then when he lost he threw himself off a cliff while basically saying "gently caress you bear" or something.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Huh. That story actually worked. I was so certain they'd wuss out at the last possible moment.

I think my personal favorite arcs are still Ennis writing pre-Max Punisher, which are more about the other characters around him. Best interpretation of Wolverine ever, for starters. And how do you lose a guy who can track you by scent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

No I mean he literally killed them, as in he pulled the trigger of the gun that killed them while in a human host.

Granted, the execution was lovely overall, but I don't know if Ennis could even make the whole idea work overall, especially with the ending of the first arc being "Frank has learned not to kill criminals and will use his heaven guns to disarm them only!"

I'm aware of what happened, I own pretty much every single Punisher comic ever printed with the exception of some mini's, appearances in other titles, and that short ongoing (volume 3?) where he joined the mafia for some reason. And yeah, the disarming/non lethal only stuff was the worst part of it, but I didn't find the demonic hand in his origin to be all that offensive as far as comic books go. I'm glad it's not really canon anymore (or at least never mentioned beyond a single line in the first issue of Welcome Back, Frank), but I think I seemed to hate those 4 issues less than most other people did. Now the second four issues, with the Wolverine team up, are some of the worst comics I've ever read.

• Locked thread