Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

Given the conversation on the Punisher's twisted morality, it's weird to see how the idea of the Punisher killing innocents has been handled throughout the years.
I'm thinking of the whole crew of that boat he blew up and/or fed to sharks during the first Barracuda arc. I can't imagine they were all in on the power company's scheme--didn't seem to matter to him at all, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

picosecond posted:

There's a great Punisher story that involves him going to France and sneaking onboard a private space station, because they were gonna use it for hoarding drugs somewhere outside the authorities' reach. You never see Punisher in space, so I'm surprised that didn't get more notice. Plus it shows him actually shoot up heroin to maintain his cover as a drug user, which I don't think ever happened anywhere else.
Was it this one?

One of the best Punisher covers period, only hampered by the fact that bad guys aren't getting broiled alive in shuttle exhaust.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Also the issue is foil and holographic as gently caress.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

You forgot the best part of that moment, which is immediately before it where Saint yells "You killed me son!" and then we hear a scream and explosion from inside the office and Frank's reply is simply "Both of them."
That was the only good part. War Zone is easily the more entertaining film, high fives to Trollologist all around. I love Tom Jane and all, but give me more Ray Stevenson as Frank and more missile launchers fired at jerks. So, so many bad guys got shot the hell up in that movie, it was right out of MAX.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

If all you've gotten from MAX is "he kills a bunch of dudes!" I don't know what to say.
Nah, I also learned to never mess around with your boss's nympho daughter.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Donde Esta posted:

I've never so much as given Punisher a passing thought before this thread, but on your good word I checked out Ennis' Max run and now he's pretty much my favorite character. I can't believe I put it off for so long, but wow, amazing stuff. Anyone know what kind of research Ennis does for the technical aspects of his books? I figure some of the Irish stuff is from growing up around it, but the detail he'd go into for some of the military plotlines seemed more than just a passing exposure.
Ennis is a stone-cold war junkie.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to call Frank's actions "terrorism", since everyone knows that as long as you're being a decent human being and not breaking the law and being a gangster or something, you are totally safe from Frank's violent attention. Like, Frank is explicitly killing the "bad guys", so in theory that should make everyone else feel more safe, which is kind of the opposite of terrorism.
Assuming that as an average normal citizen, you inherently trust that this fellow New Yorker you only hear about on the news who has reportedly slaughtered hundreds (thousands?) of people will always and forever stick to this creed, and you totally trust that he 100% never makes a mistake and kills innocents, ever, even though there have been reports of his frequent use of high-end military weaponry including missles, rockets, grenades and other explosives.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 8, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Like when he's first starting out it would be pretty reasonable to be afraid of him going berserk and shooting up a children's hospital or something, but in the MAX universe he's apparently been doing his one-man war on crime for like 30 years and he's still consistently killing the bad guys while leaving civilians and law enforcement alone. Without any knowledge of what's actually going on in his psyche, I don't think I'd be that concerned.
I think that initial burst of violence would be pretty freaky. I'm thinking of that Arnold line from True Lies--"But they were all bad!" How long would it take for millions of people to realize and accept that?

"Reports are coming in that a large yacht has been blown up off the coast, and everyone on board, including the ship's crew and catering staff, has been subsequently ripped apart and eaten by sharks. But don't worry, we've been promised that none of the victims were pure of heart and deserved everything they got. Good enough for us! Now onto the weather..."

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 8, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Here's a hosed up question:

In Up is Down, Black is White, was Auntie Moe in fact Nicky's actual aunt?
I didn't see any reason why she wouldn't be. That was kind of the point, how messed up that was.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SaucyPants posted:

what are people saying about Punisher vs the Marvel Universe? I need some new Punisher while I wait for vol 6 of the hardcover.
It is Good Stuff. Definitely check it out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Punisher #1 by Rucka preview:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32740

The detectives from Seven??
That is literally Morgan Freeman's face on the second page.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedIcon posted:

Is MAX heavily continuity-driven or can it be read out of order? I'm fixing to get a fairly large sum of money so I'm thinking of getting Born, Welcome Back Frank (even though it's not MAX), Up is Down and Black is White, and The Slavers.

However, if it's a really continuity-heavy series instead of each arc being fairly stand-alone, I'll get In the Beginning and Kitchen Irish instead of UiDBiW and The Slavers. I'm already familiar with the character, and I've seen both movies and played the PS2 game, if that helps any.

I would really recommend reading it in order. The payoffs hit that much harder if you have the history to go with them (at least read In the Beginning first--it sets up a lot more than it might initially seem). Kitchen Irish is probably the weakest volume (but still worth reading!), and pretty standalone, so you could always go right to Mother Russia next (Mother Russia is easily my favorite--I get a rise just thinking about it) if you wanted. Born can be read anytime, but preferably before the last volume.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 26, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

At first I read it wrong and thought that picosecond just wondered about adding Aaron's twist about Frank's origin to 616, but looking at it again... yeah. MAX and 616 aren't going to be joint continuity. That defeats the purpose.
Especially when the next arc is supposed to be so...Elektra-fying! :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Anybody read Remender's FrankenCastle arc?

It is SO much better than it has any right to be.
The OSHC sits proudly next to Ennis' Max books on my shelves. It's a beautiful thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

...what the hell reason would The Punisher have to use twitter?
Okay bullets are coming out

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's issue 4 and nothing's happened yet to make me care, and I doubt I'll be picking up another issue.
Sadly, I agree. The only thing that sticks out is the Vulture fight. Everything with the cops and the bride just is Not Interesting. I'll just stick with Aaron's Max.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but if you're not, what issue does this happen in because it sounds unironically awesome.
I love posting this cover:

I don't even know if this is what Sion is talking about, but hell, it's close enough.

My dream is to one day own the original art of this.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 16, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Did we know that Ennis is coming back to Punisher Max? Cuz uh, he is!

"Ennis is currently wrapping his series The Boys at Dynamite, and is returning to Marvel's The Punisher with a new MAX series illustrated by Goran Parlov that has yet to be publicly scheduled."

So says Newsarama!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I hope you didn't regret buying "Punisher MAX: Hot Rods of Death" by Charlie Huston, because that comic loving rules. It's The Punisher as Mad Max, and it's every bit as awesome as that sounds.
Agreed. It was eeeeeeasily the best one, and a drat riot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Why isn't Space Punisher out right now? I need it bad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really liked Fury Max on the whole, but I was pretty disappointed that issue 6 ended on a TO BE CONTINUED instead of a true resolution. But on the other hand, more Fury Max! Wooooo!
I thought I read that it's going to be a 13 issue run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So the 13 issue figure is for "Vol. 2" which is the current title.
I know, that's why I said it. Why did you possibly think I was referring to a 10 year old miniseries?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 13, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Manwithastick posted:

I'm surprised very little is being said about the punisher warzone crossover
What is there to say?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Met posted:

are there announced plans for a Punisher solo title continuing?
It's only a matter of time before one pops up, but as of now, nothing's been announced.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tetris Crowley posted:

Recommended reading? I'm now very curious about this.
Hitman #34, JLA/Hitman

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I'm just going to assume all of his stuff is equally awesome
I love Fraction to death, but he can be pretty hit or miss. I didn't get the impression his Thor run was very good (maybe I'm wrong?), and his Iron Man stuff never interested me one bit (mostly due to the awful art throughout, but it just didn't seem like an interesting run). I did read the Mandarin Annual, and that was pretty awesome, honestly. Be sure to grab his Casanova series--it's Fraction, distilled pure.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm of a mixed mind about War Zone #5 - on one hand, I like that they're setting up a Lady Punisher arc that might not suck
Yeah, we're never going to see her again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've checked out a shitton of Punisher MAX books and just re-read all of Aaron's run. I never read all of Ennis' Max run so I'm going to see what I've got from the library. Is it usually pretty continuity friendly as in I can pick up any of the arcs and pretty much know what's going on?
Mostly? There are definitely threads that wind their way throughout the entire run, but overall, the arcs are pretty self-contained...ish.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is any of the Fury stuff any good? What's his MAX status nowadays, since he kind of went out and killed Vanessa Fisk?
The new Fury Max is excellent, and covers Fury in the 60s/70s. The earlier Fury MAX mini (with Darrick Robertson) is definitely something, what with all the intestines flying about everywhere. There has been no narrative follow-up in any way to the end of Aaron's PunisherMAX run yet...and I wouldn't really expect any.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

I dunno how you can call the last two issues dull, I've found them among the strongest issues of the series. Sure I would've liked more issues as things are rapidly leading to an eventual end but the sudden jump forward and the effect of age on all the characters has been way more interesting than just more murder. And this issue, especially the last page as Fury realizes the kind of monsters that have been created was as much as a gut to the punch as Ennis can do.
Also, that conversation between Shirley and Pug was one of the most devastating, "real" conversations in comics I've ever read. His tone for dialog is amazing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

picosecond posted:

Just finished reading the new Fury MAX and all I can say is, I wish he'd done a lot worse to Barracuda.
Me too, but what could Fury do that wouldn't gently caress with Cuda's later appearances in Punisher Max?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Plus the silver lining that the letters page announces that the duo are working an another unannounced project.
Fury Min, twelve issues of hugs and cupcakes. :unsmith:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Throb Robinson posted:

Is Space Punisher as Awesome as I hope it is? I saw it quickly while my wife was dragging me thru Hastings. Does it have a paperback I can pick up? I can't seem to find much on it.
It was pretty dumb, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I would definitely be up for a sequel.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The Punisher's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but it's certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots than the tortured avenger crying out for wife and son.

And besides, Electro looks really scary, right!?
5th Dimensional posting spotted.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lars Blitzer posted:

Just Google "Frank face" and you'll see it taken to extremes.
His Incredible Hulk will forever and always be The Worst Hulk.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

No way.

He wasn't suited to a Hulk book but he's not even the worst Hulk artist on Aaron's run. The Silvestri/A million other contributors is way worse.
I would like to see them, because Frank Face Hulk is quite possibly the least threatening, blandest, "off-model" Hulk there is. He's a green Kingpin. So little effort was put forth that Dillon may as well have drawn a titled sign hanging from a shop window saying "Gone Fishin".

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 6, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, the heroes all banded together and caught Frank. They throw him in jail. Probably maximum security, but he's not super powered, so I doubt he ends up in somewhere like the raft. He's been to jail before. We know how this ends. Either he escapes as soon as he can and gets right back to it, or he just starts killing all of the criminals you've put him into a confined space with because he doesn't give a gently caress.
Just curious, but have you read Punisher: The Cell?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That was the case until Rucka came and pissed in the pool during his dreadful run, which brought Frank up to being an Afghani war veteran. It's only a matter of time until a future writer undoes that, but so far it's not been addressed in the new book.
I completely missed that. Especially dumb since he was just red-potioned at the end of Frankencastle. Well, that run was stupid anyway.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 13, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I realise after you saying that that yeah, I've never actually read 616 Punisher, only the MAX stuff. I assume 616 Punisher is a different thing entirely and nowhere near as violent which god knows I could use that after binging MAX last week. Are there any good arcs I should look out for?
The only Punisher books I'm never getting rid of are the Ennis MAX run and the R. Remender FrankenCastle OSHC. Oh, and Punisher 2099. :black101:

Here's an old list of Sims', who knows his Punisher pretty well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 17, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but then the high school girl gets naked and has an elongated erotic scene with the vampire.
Story of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

You were a helluva derail, thread.

I'm a little rusty with alt-world Punishermans - is there one set in the future with him blowing poo poo up with a spaceship? This is important to me.
You mean Space Punisher? That is a thing that exists, yes.

There is also Punisher 2099, who in the last issue of the series, gains access to a giant gently caress-all space laser:

He never gets to use it though, as he's killed immediately afterwards.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2015

• Locked thread