Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sprecherscrow posted:

I feel like an important element in both Ennis and Aaron's work is the notion that after so many years it just stops being about his family. He continues on because it's the only way he knows how to live anymore. He is a broken, emotionally dead shell of man. When he succeeds in his mission and kills a few more criminals it ultimately provides himself with nothing. He is not a main to be sympathized with, but pitied. He is a man whom joy has fled. Sex is able to provide pleasure on a pure physical level to the extent that it is perhaps the one pleasure that he can still feel since his nerve centers in his brain and penis still function. The deeper emotional pleasures of actually loving someone or something, the actual joy we all manage to get out of human life, is unknowable to Frank. The Punisher is sometimes criticized for glorify vigilante action, but Ennis and Aaron avoid doing this by showing that it has no real positive effects. Sure the Punisher always "wins" in the context of each story, but the criminal element recuperates and Frank is back to square one with only another piece of his humanity discarded. The only destination for someone who would attempt the Punisher's path is the absolute nadir of human misery.

I took 'Born' a different way: I saw it as giving a real reason for the Punisher's rampage. In all honesty, the Punisher is not about avenging his family but settling into what he really, truly is. Every Punisher story, at its heart, uses the death of his family only as a justification. It's about the planning and the violence. As Ennis says, this isn't a problem because it's mindless violence. But as "Born" shows, this is what Frank really is. He likes the violence and the military offered him that opportunity to indulge even at the expense of a peaceful life. The life he wants is one where his life is constantly being threatened, where he's going up against bad guys that never stop forming despite his efforts, and that he can dominate people physically. It's no longer about stopping crime: that would mean the punishing would have no purpose. It's all about swimming in the misery and corruption for the sheer sake of it. Sure, occasionally Frank goes emo, but he's really the definition of a directionless person. As long as his lack of direction is punctuated by gunfire, he could give a poo poo. He's not solving any problems, the world's corruption is his personal playground to destroy. Frank isn't miserable: he's in his element. This is what he has chosen to live his life. He's certainly not miserable about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tato posted:

Na, I enjoyed War Zone as well, especially the weird story where Frank was put in some Matrix-like virtual reality where his family was alive. Punisher, Punisher War Journal, and Punisher War Zone all wrapped up with the "Countdown" crossover.

Frank was tricked into thinking he shot an innocent bystander and became catatonic. He was sent to prison and strapped in the electric chair, but SHIELD faked his death. Eventually he snapped out of it, grew a pony tail, became smitten with a mafia princess and joined the mob:

He joined SHIELD at some point and I think he killed Nick Fury. He may have died in the process. I don't really recall how The Punisher was killed before he was resurrected as a demon hunter.

Oh, I remember this. This was back in 1997-99 when Marvel was trying to fit everything into the Onslaught crossover and it was never, ever going to work. It was near the crappy Heroes Reborn crossover. I remember near the very end they were going to fit Punisher in alongside the X-Cutioner. I think Frank bought it by getting caught in a train explosion or something. Which would be a metaphor for shame.

The worst part of it is that it took the formerly gritty War Journal/Original Series/War Zone and turned it into a really cartoony style. Not to mention it was the first appearance of Punisher Jigsaw with the alternate colored costume so he could be considered a true villain. And his 'scarring' was minimalized so it was just weird and not disturbing/gross as it should have been.

Yeah, it was more awful than God Punisher. God Punisher was just weird and is still referenced in Ennis's earlier stories. But Ponytail SHIELD Punisher was just a bad idea.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's summed up in a line in Long Cold Dark, I'm paraphrasing, but it's something along the lines of "Back in Nam, they were my way home. When they were taken from me,they turned out to be my way home in the worst way" He was at home in War, his only gripe in Nam was that the war ended. He wanted a war that would never end. Frank Castle was a disguise he wore before Nam and after he came back, the Punisher's who he is, and was.

I loved Max, the Ennis run, it was only about the fourth comic I read, and it blew me away. I also loved that the medium's longevity allowed to really strike at the heart of what it is to be a fictional vigilante: a long, downbeat story where it never really ends.

I also really liked the Kitchen Irish arc, mostly for the shootout on the aircraft carrier, which better be in the next goddamn movie. It also contained the truest glimpse into the character ("he's been doing it for forty years, how do you think he feels?")

Can they do Kitchen Irish since that Black Irish Guy got iced in the movie version of War Zone? I hope so because that story was pretty great, right down to the Irish Bomber whose face is barely being held on. That said, we need more dynamic Punisher villains. A lot of good ones end up being killed off way too fast.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

I love how he has this massive Dirty Harry handgun that has a chain of bullets going to it. Because he just needs more than the normal six to go nuts. Such a shame the 2099 line went to poo poo about the same time Marvel did.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, you do. We may all know his origin and have seen it done over and over again, but the general public who doesn't know who or what a "Punisher" is should be given the origin. Also, what pisses me off most about War Zone is that the War Journal script that was the follow up to the Jane movie never got made. It had some of the same elements that later went into War Zone (the old Don's birthday party, Jigsaw being a combination of Jigsaw and Nicky Cavella, Pitsy and Ink, etc) but did them in a serious, brutal, much more true to the source material way. It also had the subplot of the Punisher copycats from Welcome Back, Frank, reduced down to just The Holy, which would have been loving awesome.

Jane deserved another go-around as the Punisher. The Punisher film with him in it was a tad too long (and a bit bizarre: his WHOLE family? Really??) but the action more than makes up for it. But I cannot hate Punisher War Zone. I simply can't. It's over the top, it's not as nasty as it could have been, and Jigsaw's revamped origin is a bit too neat (so his face is destroyed, but the rest of him isn't?), but it's still good cheesy fun. Plus Wayne Knight as Microchip was something that just needed to be done.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Microchip in a movie is not something that ever needed to be done, regardless of the actor.

The one scene I'll give credit to is the one with Jigsaw making his huge speech in front of the flag. If the rest of the movie had been that insane, it would have at least been entertaining in a Crank kind of way. As it is, it's just out of place though.

You don't think War Zone is over the top? The whole thing is insane. The rocket hitting the guy in mid-jump wasn't nuts? Nothing can be as insane as the Crank series, but certainly you don't think this movie was made to be completely serious.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

picosecond posted:

The coloring and inking on this is great, but look at that gaunt face, the linebacker shoulders and those ham hands -- it makes Castle look like a old dockworker. Which is maybe what he would look like in real life, but is never how I pictured him. Mike Zeck's Punisher is still definitive for me.

He reminds me of some old Russian badass, which is an interesting interpretation. Or if you squint, Niko Bellic thirty years down the line.

Asphalt Engine posted:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ue1e6b.jpg (Linked for huuuuge)

So here's my favorite Punisher anything. Always hits me in the gut whenever I read it. Comes from those "Punisher Armory" one or two page backups in "Punisher: War Journal" (I think) that were eventually collected.

It was the last page of Issue #2, if memory serves. The same one where it's revealed Microchip is a big Doctor Who fan. It's a really well done moment. Especially considering most of the Punisher War Journal stories were slipping from story arcs to one-shot revenge stories (circa PWJ #34 and onward). Come to think of it, that's when the original Punisher title was experimenting with the premise with that awesome 'Final Days' storyline.

Mister Roboto posted:

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a bit more of that in the next decade as all the war-based characters have to be updated for the new generation. Haven't they already retconned Tony Stark's war origin to be a more modern one?

I wonder if they'll ever move Frank to, say, an Iraqi or Arghan vet. I have no interest in getting political, but I could see them upgrade Frank to a PSTD shellshocked Vet from the "illegal" war or whatever you want to call it.

Given 'Heroes Reborn,' I think this will never happen. Marvel's love of making topical characters really did bite them in the rear end, but I can't see the Punisher being anything but the child of Vietnam and the cynicism of that time. Iraq and Afghanistan currently don't have the angst that Vietnam did or the conflicted emotions. I'm not going to get into comparing wars and the horrors of each as measurable quantities, but the Punisher comes from that early '70s cynicism that simply cannot be avoided. He's a child of the times, and changing him would be like changing the Fantastic Four to getting their powers via a radiation wave in a space station: you take away the space race fascination that prompts their experimentation and exploring and simply have four celebrities dealing with their powers. It would work, but it wouldn't be the FF at all. The same goes for Punisher.

RevBabyKiller posted:

The ones I'd most like to see MAX-ified are No Rules, Suicide Run, Psychoville, the first Rosalie Carbone arc, Fortress Miami (which was way better than the Krieghof one), and all of the Payback arcs.

Without Steve Dillon

I would also ask for 'Final Days,' but considering what Ennis did in his run, it would be silly to go back to the suicidal, always-in-pain Punisher.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

RevBabyKiller posted:

That was a pretty good arc save for the terrible ending. Changing Frank's skin color to hide his identity is less bizarre than current 616 stuff (FrankenCastle especially) but still pretty far out there

I get the feeling it was conceived as a way to change the dynamic of the series (notice that this series came right after the infamous 'baby' cover of Punisher #52) and add some drama, but then got caught up in prepping the return of Luke Cage in his new comic series. Also, the 'Last Rites' arc in Daredevil that finally killed off the Kingpin for the better part of the '90s also helped take away 'Final Days' real thrust. You can tell halfway through that they ran out of ideas on how to deal with the Kingpin setting up Castle and Jigsaw getting his revenge and it just peters out at the finale. Then that whole story arc ends four issues loving later before going onto another one.

Then again, that's pretty much par for the course in the '90s for the Punisher: an interesting direction comes out of single story issues that make very little sense only to peter out and get assigned so it fits into the current flavor of the Marvel Universe.

Mister Roboto posted:

Ultimate Fantastic Four worked great at the start, moving from the Space Race to modern military experimentation.

They tried with Ultimate Punisher and corrupt police being the cause. That wasn't as good an origin, but it showed they're willing to experiment.

True, but it lacks something. With the Ultimate universe, everybody is pretty much a new character anyway. The UFF simply aren't the same ones. But with the Punisher the only writer to really make him work outside of Vietnam is Ennis and that was because he changed the character so much and made it stick. Plus he made it more of a darker comedy than other writers before him and it fired on all cylinders. Even then, Ennis still stuck to the '70s cynicism that the character cannot escape.

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't say that it's not as good an origin so much as they didn't explore it very much yet and let the concept of Ultimate Punisher sort of sit there for the most part.

IndecisiveMexican posted:

Ultimate Avengers vs. Ultimates pretty much made it clear that Ultimate Punisher is exactly like 616 Punisher which may or may not be a bad thing.

From that bit, the Punisher seems more of a sadist than an obsessive.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

He also has no qualms about killing corrupt cops like 616 and MAX Frank both do, as shown by him offing Ultimate Jean DeWolfe in USM a while back.

Ultimate Jean DeWolfe? gently caress, you're going to start my Ultimate hardcover addiction again. Goddamnit.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would 616 Frank not kill corrupt cops? Seems like an odd compromise for him to spare people who might be just as bad as his normal targets but in a uniform.

Ultimate Frank is an ex-cop himself, right? Not a soldier?

Gassire posted:

If he ever killed a cop, even a corrupt one, he'd forever be a cop-killer and lose what latitude the force gives him.

Plus it's a matter of personal ethics as well. It always changes from writer to writer, but it seems to be a big part of the Punisher mythos. Or enough to feature heavily into Punisher 2099's character where he nearly gets killed (and the intervention that saves his life starts the slow corrosive dissolve of his own sanity).

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

redbackground posted:

I love posting this cover:

I don't even know if this is what Sion is talking about, but hell, it's close enough.

My dream is to one day own the original art of this.

Goddamn, I had written off all of the Punisher stuff from the '80s as garbage. But I didn't know it was loving awesome garbage. I may have to check this out.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

When did Punisher and Wolverine fight the midgets? That was a good story with the highlight of seeing Wolverine run over with a steam roller

Not to mention the flashbacks with a midget being catapulted. That whole thing was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

That second one is from The Cell right? I really liked that special, but I was interested in what others thought, given how significant to Frank's whole story it is.

Yeah, that is definitely what I imagine a jaded, bitter and highly competent veteran of at least one especially lovely war turned vigilante-slash-serial-killer watching someone piss on his family's graves would look like.

I like how it shows the effects of living such a life. Dillon's representation was too fresh-faced, and that's a mistake a lot of Punisher artists made: they see the Punisher as some eternally youthful older man who has a blank face that reflects nothing of what he went through or goes through. But those up there...you see an old man that's been made older. Even if he's a hard motherfucker, you can see everything he's done in his face. The age doesn't take away from his power, it just shows he's ready for more, and that's downright scary.

• Locked thread