Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how similar to the Max tone Remender's been in In The Blood. Frank's the least interesting character and barely shows up in most issues, but he's still pretty fascinating and seems to know he's losing it, but doesn't really care. My only worry is that the Maria reveal will be disappointing. Give us a good, cathartic explanation for her turning on Frank, not just 'evil magic/mind control/drugs/not really her'.

And Punisher Max #10 is coming out? The songs and stories spoke true? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Aaron addressed that point in a way in the recent Max relaunch. Frank started this because of his family, but it stopped being about that a long time ago. He does it because he's forgotten how to do anything else, take the Punisher away from him and what's left?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

Who wants to talk about the worst Punisher story of all time?

He's on a mission from God?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

This was the first Punisher story I remember reading, and it was badass. I need to buy this.

Weird thing? Paladin's probably the most heroic of these three.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The people saying it stopped being about his family are probably spot on.
Remender also touched upon this in Dark Reign The List: Punisher. When Daken cuts Frank into pieces, the Punisher monologues about his wife: "I can see Maria waving to me. It's a good lie.".

Eh, I was referring mainly to the MAX stuff there. I really liked The List, but I interpreted that line as Frank either not believing in an afterlife, or if he does, knowing he's not a good man. Basically, he's deluding himself for a moment that he's gonna get the happy ending, the warm, white light with Maria in a spring dress and the kids playing. We and he know that's not how the Punisher's story ends, but he lies to himself to make the inevitable easier.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Action Man posted:

I tell my friends that "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" is the story where The Punisher teams up with Morgan Freeman. I have a hard time believing that you could not see that character as Morgan Freeman.

"I heard you had trouble with that

motherless gently caress

the Punisher"

Ah, now I remember. Marvel do reference DC Comics sometimes. Recently, Spidey tried out a Christian Bale voice to scare criminals, and years ago, they referred to vibranium as Klaw's kryptonite.

Don't forget the 'gosh-darn Spider-Girl'.

Also, I'm now imagining Frank Castle in place of Dennis Hopper in True Romance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They 'have plans' for every property higher profile than D-Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

You can't tell so much in those panels, but in the first issue of Punisher 2099, he was totally Sylvester Stallone.

I think I figured out where Stallone's Judge Dredd went wrong...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Spider-Man dying is usually a good shorthand for "poo poo this world/reality/situation is hosed up" because he's either a high school kid or a guy in his mid 20s risking his life to save people who are total dicks to him. So killing Parker shows how far the Punisher has fallen.

Or how far Peter's fallen, if he's supposed to 'deserve' it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also in keeping with every version of Fury to take people with that kind of talent and direct them to a goal he can justify as 'for the greater good'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I heard Greg Rucka was going to be writing a new Punisher series that starts this month? Is it already out or did it get delays because I didn't see it on Marvel's site.

It's actually launching in August.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

In the same way that Lobo is DC's answer to Venom or Wolverine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait until we get to the story where Batroc repeatedly beats the poo poo out of Punisher.

Well, he should, though. There was a one-shot after the Death of Cap story where Batroc's fighting Bucky and he says to some scrub mercs that despite all the jokes about him losing to Captain America, he can at least put up a good fight, which is more than 99.9% of soldiers could do. He only sucks compared to the literal best soldiers alive who have been enhanced with super-drugs or bionics. Against regular dudes like Frank Castle, he should wipe the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Interesting. I'm wa watching the Dolph Lundgren opus Men-of-war and I believe that Garth Ennis got his portrayal of Barracuda from tiny lister's performance as an m60 wielding mercenary. I mean there is even a scene where he is burning down Hut's and threatening to massacre little children.

Should've based it on his performance in the seminal classic No Holds Barred.

• Locked thread