Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauntleroy
May 8, 2007

I am a song!

skoolmunkee posted:

Paint Tool SAI

Thanks, I gave it a crack and already I'm loving SAI over Photoshop.

Photoshop

PaintTool SAI

Crisper lines and better weight variation. Can't argue with those results! Once I tweak the settings I'll get exactly what i want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scurvard
Feb 19, 2007

Heck yeah, Paint Tool SAI is the coolest. I ink all of Luffinpuff and Eric with it.

People Who Know More About Photoshop Than I Do, is there any way to get a brush in Photoshop that looks as crisp as the one in SAI? Whenever I use the default "hard" brushes in PS, it has a sort of fuzzy blur to it like the example posted by Fauntleroy. I still prefer SAI's smoothing and all that, but it'd be nice for fixing mistakes once I start coloring in Photoshop.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Scurvard posted:

Heck yeah, Paint Tool SAI is the coolest. I ink all of Luffinpuff and Eric with it.

People Who Know More About Photoshop Than I Do, is there any way to get a brush in Photoshop that looks as crisp as the one in SAI? Whenever I use the default "hard" brushes in PS, it has a sort of fuzzy blur to it like the example posted by Fauntleroy. I still prefer SAI's smoothing and all that, but it'd be nice for fixing mistakes once I start coloring in Photoshop.

All of the default brushes in Photoshop will do that, all you have to do is get some custom brushes and try them out until you get the sort of lines you like.

It's sort of tedious to have to go through a ton of brushes before you find the one you want, but after it's smooth sailing.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
I enable Scattering, lower the scatter and then raise the count to get sharper lines.

The squiggle on the left is scattering disabled, the one in the middle is at a count of 2, and I think the one on the right is 6 or 8.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Does GIMP have similar options or resources for custom brushes?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
So normally a comic as mediocre as El Goonish Shive doesn't really get my bile flowing as much as certain others, but it did something today that kind of really has me going "what" and I just have to ask the shop thread for opinions:

Note the complete omission of nipples on the shirtless panel. Not especially noteworthy by itself, but in the 'commentary' the artist feels the need to justify this for some reason:

Dan Shive posted:

It's been commented on when I've done previous comics with shirtless males, but it's well-documented that I don't draw nipples on them. There are a few reasons for this, the most prominent being that they stand out a bit too much when I try to include them. They look fine if I'm sketching, but in ink, they're like beacons that draw the eye in like some sort of whirlpool. Really not what I'm going for, there.

The excuse I always give, however, is that since I don't ever show female nipples, I won't show male ones, either! It's a rationalization, certainly, but there is a twisted sort of sense to it.

I really don't get this, at all. How exactly are nipples even remotely this difficult to draw in an unobtrusive way? I mean maybe I'm just being a stickler on anatomy but it just seems incredibly silly to me to say something like "NIPPLES ARE HARD TO DRAW GUYZ" when something as simple as a thin-line, vaguely oval shape would probably suffice in this sort of style. Then again, I'm not an artist, so....I dunno, what do you guys think? Is there legitimate difficulty here or is this just some lazy aversion to drawing basic loving anatomy?

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 7, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Almost any excuse people come up with for not drawing nipples always sounds like a cover for "I can't draw them without it looking silly." I mean, really? "I don't draw female nipples, so I won't draw male ones"? How is that even equivalent at all? That doesn't make sense at all, not even "a twisted sort" of it.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless you are specifically omitting certain features because of style not drawing anatomical features is a lazy cop-out. And I don't mean "oh my art isn't bad it's my style", I mean "I have legitimate reasons to make these design choices". Speaking of omitted features, Mr. Shive needs to start giving people fingernails. Maybe I just have a strange obsession with hands, but backwards hands, missing fingernails, and even the 4-fingered cartoon hand really bug me.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I take more umbrage in the fact that the artist just decided to put Sakaki from Azumanga in his lovely comic.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
Wow this thread reminded me I've been sitting on Mangastudio for over a year. I really need to start learning it.

I've only heard good things about it, but I've been so lazy.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Kave posted:

Wow this thread reminded me I've been sitting on Mangastudio for over a year. I really need to start learning it.

I've only heard good things about it, but I've been so lazy.

I know I don't use SAI like I should. I ink my psd files in it and then toss them back into CS3 to color and everything. I didn't even know there was a vector inking option. There seem to be a lot of tutorials around for SAI though so I suppose that's a project I should take upon myself soon. I'm constantly annoyed that SAI doesn't seem to have a basic "draw a straight line" tool like photoshop does (U) but perhaps there is something there which will do it.

I recently bought a Bamboo Fun because my old Intuos 2 wouldn't work right on Vista. However the Bamboo doesn't have a surface protection layer. Any ideas for something I could rig up? Also the nib seems to wear down really fast, do they make the nibs softer now or something? Maybe because there's no protection layer?

Spookyblang
Nov 4, 2007

testing games in which a dog may like

skoolmunkee posted:

I recently bought a Bamboo Fun because my old Intuos 2 wouldn't work right on Vista. However the Bamboo doesn't have a surface protection layer. Any ideas for something I could rig up? Also the nib seems to wear down really fast, do they make the nibs softer now or something? Maybe because there's no protection layer?

I use a Bamboo and I experience the wear-down of the nib too. The Bamboo has this molded texture on the drawing area made to imitate the tooth of paper and, while in practice it is very nice, I found two problems: A) Your nib will eventually grind grooves into the surface, creating little dips and bumps that you can actually feel when drawing and B) That tooth texture acts almost like sandpaper and slowly grinds your nib tip down -- my old graphire did that too, but after a MUCH longer period of time.

I've been combating this by applying plastic film in the form of clear contact paper cut to fit. I have to reapply it every, like, 7 months and that requires cleaning some gunk up, but it combats the problem until I can think of a better solution or buy a different tablet. Otherwise, I really really like the Bamboo. Maybe I could sand the texture smooth, it is something I've thought about.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

CidGregor posted:

I really don't get this, at all. How exactly are nipples even remotely this difficult to draw in an unobtrusive way? I mean maybe I'm just being a stickler on anatomy but it just seems incredibly silly to me to say something like "NIPPLES ARE HARD TO DRAW GUYZ" when something as simple as a thin-line, vaguely oval shape would probably suffice in this sort of style. Then again, I'm not an artist, so....I dunno, what do you guys think? Is there legitimate difficulty here or is this just some lazy aversion to drawing basic loving anatomy?

Basically everything about that chest looks weird to me, so I'm sure wherever he would have placed the nipples would have just made it worse.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Spookyblang posted:

I use a Bamboo and I experience the wear-down of the nib too. The Bamboo has this molded texture on the drawing area made to imitate the tooth of paper and, while in practice it is very nice, I found two problems: A) Your nib will eventually grind grooves into the surface, creating little dips and bumps that you can actually feel when drawing and B) That tooth texture acts almost like sandpaper and slowly grinds your nib tip down -- my old graphire did that too, but after a MUCH longer period of time.

I've been combating this by applying plastic film in the form of clear contact paper cut to fit. I have to reapply it every, like, 7 months and that requires cleaning some gunk up, but it combats the problem until I can think of a better solution or buy a different tablet. Otherwise, I really really like the Bamboo. Maybe I could sand the texture smooth, it is something I've thought about.

Every week or so I tape a square of fairly heavy GSM paper to my bamboo. I cant really speak for what that does to the wear on the nip, but drat it feels much nicer to draw on.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Just for reference, this is my tablet:

The drawing surface feels very smooth actually, I can't discern a texture to it by touch, which is why the nib wear puzzles me. I've considered just taping some paper over it, but that definitely feels more toothy and seems like it would wear the nib down even more. Maybe I'm wrong?

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 7, 2011

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

Also the nib seems to wear down really fast, do they make the nibs softer now or something? Maybe because there's no protection layer?

Partially this, yes. There's also a business in replacement pens. That's the official Wacom site, in case you're wondering.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I have an ancient-rear end tablet that was probably repurposed from pieces of old refrigerator after the fall of the Soviet Union, and the pen that I got with it wore out after about three weeks of use. After searching fruitlessly for the original company, I ordered some weird and equally off-brand giant tablet pen based on an online recommendation, and that pen turned out to be immortal. I used it for something like five years with it sustaining practically no wear, and in the end the tablet died before the pen did. It was everything you could wish for from a pen, too. It worked perfectly with the tablet's pressure sensitivity, automatically mapped the standard shortcuts to all its buttons, and even had three extra buttons around the top for god only knows what. The tablet software didn't support them, so I never found out what kind of magical bonus function they might have unlocked, but I've always been curious.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I can just buy replacement nibs, but it's annoying when my Intuos went years without needing any. I've drawn like twenty relatively simple pictures with this one and it's developed a huge angle.

Modern products :argh:

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
One of the buttons on my Graphire (4x5) pen fell off around Thanksgiving and I still have no idea where it is. My last tablet had gotten to the point where the cord connecting the tablet to the computer was frayed almost all the way through, and packing tape alone kept it functional (unless I held it the wrong way).

God knows whenever I eventually do get a bigger, better one, I'll probably use it until I've adapted to avoid holes in the screen with the stylus. All this talk of nib replacements and having a large drawing area just baffles me.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

CidGregor posted:

So normally a comic as mediocre as El Goonish Shive doesn't really get my bile flowing as much as certain others, but it did something today that kind of really has me going "what" and I just have to ask the shop thread for opinions:

It has little to nothing to do with how nipples are difficult or not to draw, and everything to do with the underlying psychology of the dude drawing it.

Specifically, EGS is the most fetish obsessed blueballs comic in the world. He draws everything with some sexual goal in mind and then veers hard to the right before it might become an actual issue.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
People are weird about nipples. I drew a big slimy demon thing once, it was humanoid male shaped, and it was shirtless. I got a comment about how it having nipples was 'weird' or 'gross' or something. They weren't like, giant hairy dicknipples, they were pretty much just little circles.

I'm not saying to not draw them, not at all, it's just that webcomic readers can be as weird about them as webcomic artists :/

Spookyblang
Nov 4, 2007

To say not drawing nipples on the men is okay because the artist doesn't draw them on the women either doesn't help matters. It just makes it twice as weird. He's basically saying there are enough frontal boob shots for a no-nipple standard to be established -- why show the breasts at all then? What is so necessary about a bare breast but not a nipple? Why do you need a breasts but not in its entirety? Either carefully censor it with the surroundings or character's arms or something, or just don't include it. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

skoolmunkee posted:

Just for reference, this is my tablet:

The drawing surface feels very smooth actually, I can't discern a texture to it by touch, which is why the nib wear puzzles me. I've considered just taping some paper over it, but that definitely feels more toothy and seems like it would wear the nib down even more. Maybe I'm wrong?

Ah, see, I think I must have bought my Bamboo before a design change, because looking at the Bamboos on the market right now, they aren't even shaped the same. Huh. This is what I own --> http://www.tritech-computers.com/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=714 Well, the small one, but you get the idea.

Also I don't think a piece of paper would wear the nib down quite as much because, unlike a texture molded into plastic, paper has some give to it. But that comes down to the paper you're using: a bit of smooth Bristol or cardstock is going to feel completely different from vellum and rough sketching paper. As for options, I was reading last night about someone laying tracing paper over a very thin sheet of Plexiglas or plastic and setting or adhering that (temporarily) to their tablet.

Spookyblang fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 7, 2011

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
I felt like nipples turned into weird little visual homing beacons whenever I used to draw them, too. Then I realized I was giving everyone the same nipples. :gonk:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I tend to assume that people drawing nippleless chests have been watching too much anime, since Japan seems to believe that no nipples makes it not nudity. (And, more generally, that (animated) men Just Shouldn't Have Nipples.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spookyblang posted:

To say not drawing nipples on the men is okay because the artist doesn't draw them on the women either doesn't help matters. It just makes it twice as weird.

Well with EGS there's no female nipples ever shown, so it's actually a bizarre "double" standard really - he may not draw them on females but he never draws females unclothed, so it's actually a bit of a moot point.

Well, I'm assuming he hasn't drawn any nippy-nips in the 2 years since I last paid attention to it (due to a blog we won't name).

Spookyblang
Nov 4, 2007

Oh, see, I've never read that comic. I just assumed that if he was saying "My girls don't have nipples either," it'd have had to been drawn that way at some point, just as he had with the man/men. Otherwise, yeah, kind of a moot point. It doesn't matter that you draw your women the same way (in theory), what matters is you've got a naked man with relatively detailed musculature and no nipples and it just looks silly. Like there's a butt on his chest.

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
OK I just tried Manga Studio EX4 and I'm wondering why I haven't tried it earlier:

(PS top, MS bottom)

The vector brushes feel like they magically make my strokes look a lot sleeker. Part of the differences between the two were from my unresolved sketching but I did the hair pretty similarly and the differences are striking! Also, I find myself undoing/erasing too many of my strokes in PS but I did the one in manga studio without a single undo. I'll try SAI when I get back from a trip.

Scurvard posted:

The default brushes in photoshop have a spacing of 25% under "Brush Tip Shape" and if you lower it to 0% the stroke gets considerably sharper but more CPU intensive.

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 8, 2011

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I love SAI but having to switch between my Mac and PC partitions to use it is really frustrating.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

oldyogurt posted:

The vector brushes feel like they magically make my strokes look a lot sleeker. Part of the differences between the two were from my unresolved sketching but I did the hair pretty similarly and the differences are striking! Also, I find myself undoing/erasing too many of my strokes in PS but I did the one in manga studio without a single undo.

Would you say MS's vector brushes act anything like freeform brushes in Flash or Illustrator? I mean, do they hold true to the strokes you actually make with your stylus, or do they automatically "snap down" to something smoother or simpler? (And if so, is that a setting you can change?)

I stayed away from MS for a long time after hearing tales of woe about earlier versions, but it seems like a lot of those problems have been cleared up...

(Also, hi, rejoined the forums after 4 years just for this thread, I've been off drawing comics about waitressing and dudes)

bigbigtruck fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 8, 2011

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
(Hi!)
I played with the MS vector pen last night, and it seems to work just as well as the raster tool -- I occasionally forgot I was working on a different layer type. There are several pen tool options: Size, Shape, Stroke-in and Stroke-out (whether the ends of the stroke taper and how much), Correction (anti-jitter), and in vector mode allows you to turn vector Snap on or off (and control the degree), and Delete Overlapping Lines.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

oldyogurt posted:

OK I just tried Manga Studio EX4 and I'm wondering why I haven't tried it earlier:

(PS top, MS bottom)

The vector brushes feel like they magically make my strokes look a lot sleeker. Part of the differences between the two were from my unresolved sketching but I did the hair pretty similarly and the differences are striking! Also, I find myself undoing/erasing too many of my strokes in PS but I did the one in manga studio without a single undo. I'll try SAI when I get back from a trip.

I am looking forward to another comparison piece made after a week or made after some reasonable effort using MS. The results with Manga Studio are interesting... however (but surely I'm wrong) it looks more like the program just made things look more like the programmer wanted them to look. The PS may be a bit rougher, but instead it seems you put your intention in it.

Also, a question to tablet users: after how much time did you get accustomed to how the tablet/pen/ps handled instead of using pencil+paper/marker/brushes?

Also, found this dusty link in my google reader:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/interactive/2008/oct/16/posy-simmonds-tamara-drewe

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

limaCAT posted:

Also, a question to tablet users: after how much time did you get accustomed to how the tablet/pen/ps handled instead of using pencil+paper/marker/brushes?

A couple months of everyday (or near everyday) use did it for me. Once you get over the disorientation of not being able to look where you draw it's not very hard.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars

limaCAT posted:

It was pretty easy and immediate for me, but I think this is because I'd been inking digitally with a mouse and the Photoshop line tool for months by that point. I'd make a bunch of little lines to build up into the sort of line I actually wanted, flatten all the lines into a rasterized object, rinse, repeat until my hand was totally numb. Even less intuitive than a tablet, so anything was a step up, really. That was 9 years ago now, yeesh.

I still have the same tablet my parents bought me for Christmas that year, and it works fine! It looks cruddy -- got a loose cable and held together with duct tape -- but I don't think I'll replace it until it totally dies. Unless I finally cave and get a Cintiq.

Jarthus
Feb 25, 2008
See I'm one of the few who is completely against the Cintiq. I think drawing without your hand blocking your view is kid of a revolution of art. Digitally I can see my whole drawing without ever moving my hand to stop drawing. I'll always stick with the Intuos line myself.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jarthus posted:

See I'm one of the few who is completely against the Cintiq. I think drawing without your hand blocking your view is kid of a revolution of art. Digitally I can see my whole drawing without ever moving my hand to stop drawing. I'll always stick with the Intuos line myself.

when i was a wee lad i developed a sense of object permanence. conversely: how in the world are you holding your pen that your hand is obstructing your view?

Jarthus
Feb 25, 2008
Of course you can see the immediate area you are drawing but your hand will always be obscuring a part of whatever you are drawing. It's not for everyone but I have come to like not seeing my hand on or around what I am drawing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like if I didn't have to stop and move my hand or something I'd take fewer opportunities to pause and look at the picture and make sure it's not completely terrible.

Jarthus
Feb 25, 2008

Furikku posted:

I feel like if I didn't have to stop and move my hand or something I'd take fewer opportunities to pause and look at the picture and make sure it's not completely terrible.

Hm, I guess I am just an oddball. After 12 years of so of tablet work the old way just seems like a nuisance. I mean, it's still simple to do but I feel most comfortable when I am not registering my hand visually and instead concentrating completely on my forms and lines.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
Chiming in to agree that my hand just gets in the way. I'm right-handed but hold my pencil "like a lefty", so it hooks around and gets all up ins. It's less smudgey with a tablet and I can also see the drawing better, as was already stated.
Different strokes for different folks. haaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Quetzal-Coital posted:

It has little to nothing to do with how nipples are difficult or not to draw, and everything to do with the underlying psychology of the dude drawing it.

Specifically, EGS is the most fetish obsessed blueballs comic in the world. He draws everything with some sexual goal in mind and then veers hard to the right before it might become an actual issue.

I seriously considered it might be something like this but I decided against planting the thought myself and seeing if other people came to that conclusion. But yeah, I really get the feeling there's some serious sexual dysfunction going on in this comic and the mind of the man behind it, way beyond just "oh nips are hard to draw."

• Locked thread