Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
My comic is paltry achievements. As you can see, I don't give a gently caress about panels and just go basically nuts with a ruler and some ink.

Click here for the full 800x388 image.

Click here for the full 800x802 image.

Oh, and that ^^ COLOURlovers thing has been pretty helpful for me. I've been trying to teach myself to use color well, and even though the pre-made palettes kind of feel like cheating, I've tweaked them and it's been a cool resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
So anti-aliasing in pure black and white: how do you do this? And does it make it a lot harder to use the fill tool for coloring? I scan everything in at 300dpi because I have no idea what I'm doing and am a gigantic scrub with a 30gb hard drive, and I've noticed that my linework often comes out looking a harsh and jagged. Basically everything I know about coloring digitally I've taught myself by screwing around with GIMP, and so a lot of this stuff is kinda mysterious to me.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Does GIMP have similar options or resources for custom brushes?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I think that black gutters make the comic look more like one coherent picture, rather than a series of discrete images. Just picturing it in my mind, I'd say that white gutters work better with sparser, simpler panels and black gutters work well with denser black linework. That's not really a solid rule, but it makes general sense. I honestly don't get having a strong opinion on the subject, because they both obviously have different strengths.

If it's online, I think that the overall design of your site is a factor. Stark black and white are pretty universal, but there's no reason why it can't fit in with the general color scheme. Is what I think.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
The standing desk sounds pretty alright - if I'm working on something big then I usually stand anyway. If I'm inking, though, my face is like two inches away from whatever I'm working on, and I don't see that happening if I'm standing.

• Locked thread