Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Can anyone recommend something for feet mat burn that works as a cover? I tried Bandaids nope, bandaids with paper tape wrap nope, Bandaid activ-flex worked on one foot sort of and came off on the other. I'm legit debating shaving my toe hair to make the activ flex stick better next time before class because I had the most success with that. I've got two nasty burns on both the tops of my feet and I'd like to keep them covered after the mat infection paranoia this thread has given me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Seltzer posted:

Can anyone recommend something for feet mat burn that works as a cover? I tried Bandaids nope, bandaids with paper tape wrap nope, Bandaid activ-flex worked on one foot sort of and came off on the other. I'm legit debating shaving my toe hair to make the activ flex stick better next time before class because I had the most success with that. I've got two nasty burns on both the tops of my feet and I'd like to keep them covered after the mat infection paranoia this thread has given me.

Vet tape is the most amazing thing ever for this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UE...GlyL&ref=plSrch

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Cover them with bandaids and cover the bandaids with athletic tape, wrapped all the way around the foot.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Cover them with bandaids and cover the bandaids with athletic tape, wrapped all the way around the foot.

I did that and it got sweaty and I think the tape moved the bandaids around more and it came off my foot. I tried with cloth tape and athletic tape. There seems to be to much movement + sweat for it to work. I'm sick of being the mummy dude.

Alfalfa posted:

Vet tape is the most amazing thing ever for this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UE...GlyL&ref=plSrch

I have a roll of this but it seems like you need to tape over it as well? I only used it on a toe and it was worthless so I didn't try it on my foot so maybe I'll give it a shot if the active flex band aid doesn't work next time. Today I had put the bandaid on before a 3 hour bikeride in the city and then went to bjj so that was probably a stupid idea for getting the max durability out of it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're describing catch wrestling. The biggest international org with catch-type rules is probably Combat Wrestling out of Japan, so you can try looking for footage of their tournaments online.
Cheers! Just what I was looking for.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Use a piece of gauze, not a bandaid, wrap it in paper tape, wrap that in vet wrap, use a piece of tape to secure the vet wrap. You're gonna have to be a mummy if you want to protect the mat burn.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Use a piece of gauze, not a bandaid, wrap it in paper tape, wrap that in vet wrap, use a piece of tape to secure the vet wrap. You're gonna have to be a mummy if you want to protect the mat burn.

I did the paper tape + sports tape wrap and since the burns are on the bridge of my foot it's a lovely place to tape because no matter how hard I tape it there's so much movement going on there it fails pretty quickly. I'm gonna shave my toe and try the active band aid fresh and then I'll get drastic if that fails. I've got terrible bottoms of my feet as well right now (not burns just abrasions and dead skin) since soccer season just started and my feet aren't calloused yet. I feel bad for my training partners. I need to get a pedicure and superglue to sort all this poo poo out.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 10, 2016

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I asked this earlier but any specific lifting advice? Also I have long limbs but poor flexibility, will rolling help with that or should I look into outside exercise to do something about it?

I do a 2x a week program. Anymore fucks with my jiu jitsu too much, and I don't push myself much at all to go for gains. I'm looking more to maintain my strength and prevent injuries.

Day 1:
Squats 4x8
Bench 4x8
Bent Over Rows 4x8
Pullups/Chin-ups: a couple sets until close to failure
Core workout consisting of what I feel like at the time.

Day 2:
Dead lifts 3x8
Standing Barbell Press 4x8
Powercleans 5x3
Dips: 2x15-weighted if you want
Ab workout of my choice

I also like to throw in a kettlebell workout once a week or some sort of HIIT type of workout if I have a competition coming up.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I do a 2x a week program. Anymore fucks with my jiu jitsu too much, and I don't push myself much at all to go for gains. I'm looking more to maintain my strength and prevent injuries.

Thanks man. I'm in the process of switching to 2x a week now as well. My friend is gonna draft me up a routine but I'll take a look at yours as well.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Seltzer posted:

I did the paper tape + sports tape wrap and since the burns are on the bridge of my foot it's a lovely place to tape because no matter how hard I tape it there's so much movement going on there it fails pretty quickly. I'm gonna shave my toe and try the active band aid fresh and then I'll get drastic if that fails. I've got terrible bottoms of my feet as well right now (not burns just abrasions and dead skin) since soccer season just started and my feet aren't calloused yet. I feel bad for my training partners. I need to get a pedicure and superglue to sort all this poo poo out.

If you have an ace bandage you can just wrap up your whole foot and ankle so it doesn't slip or if not use some of the tape to anchor the wrap to your foot.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Thanks man. I'm in the process of switching to 2x a week now as well. My friend is gonna draft me up a routine but I'll take a look at yours as well.

I might be "slightly" biased, but program 2a works excellent when adding it to other training priorities.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm a little late to the conversation. But when I get matburn on my feet I always just figure that means I've been out of grappling for too long and need to regrow my calluses. Torn up feet is just a fact of life when you start wrestling/judp/bjj/sambo/whatever. Give it a few weeks and you'll be a man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Any particular weight classes you're interested in? I haven't followed too closely this year, but:

133 - Maybe it was a fluke, but 2015 champ Brewer getting stacked by a freshman - even one as good as Brock - makes me think a repeat is unlikely.

157 - I'm curious to see how the I-Mar / Nolf rivalry shakes out, with Nolf having handed Martinez his first college level loss this season and the Big Ten championship match being so close.

165 - I don't think anyone has an answer for Dieringer.

197 - If the pieces click for Cox, it'll probably be a final between him and McIntosh. I don't know who will win.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

Any particular weight classes you're interested in?

Agreed with you other than 133. Brewer just gets stuck sometimes.

184 is my most anticipated bracket this year. It is a giant cluster. So many evenly matched guys. Last years runner up is seeded 10th

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 11, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If someone could edit Conor McGregor and "Dork with a ponytail" into that video...

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Wore my SISU mouthguard last night in class.

All in all it was really comfortable and didn't have any issues breathing, talking, drinking water and I didn't take it out once the entire time.

It is definitely harder than what I expected so I'm still not 100% sure how it works since the little hole thing doesn't really make sense to me.

But I guess it's better than nothing on my mouth.

1 week out from my first tourney... I think I'm going to pull out of the no-gi division and just go gi since I've rolled no-gi a total of 3 times (not including my first day when they didn't have a gi that could fit me).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Alfalfa posted:

Wore my SISU mouthguard last night in class.

All in all it was really comfortable and didn't have any issues breathing, talking, drinking water and I didn't take it out once the entire time.

It is definitely harder than what I expected so I'm still not 100% sure how it works since the little hole thing doesn't really make sense to me.

But I guess it's better than nothing on my mouth.

1 week out from my first tourney... I think I'm going to pull out of the no-gi division and just go gi since I've rolled no-gi a total of 3 times (not including my first day when they didn't have a gi that could fit me).

Isn't the little hole thing used to attach your mouthguard to a helmet when you're doing contact sports like football?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm guessing he means how the Sisu is basically made of holes:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NCAA is streaming the D-II and D-III championships today and tommorow for free on their website. I don't follow D-II or D-III all that much so I can't say who to watch for.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I suggest everyone pull for Paul Wilson of my alma mater Colorado School of Mines at 197.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

I suggest everyone pull for Paul Wilson of my alma mater Colorado School of Mines at 197.

I'm down. That's D-II, right?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I'm down. That's D-II, right?

That's correct. He's the #1 seed at 197

edit: Annnnd my connection isn't strong enough to support streaming.

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 11, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

That's correct. He's the #1 seed at 197

Bad news... I just watched him get pinned.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Bad news... I just watched him get pinned.

yup i just saw that on the live scoring.

Welp a national qualifier from a school that only teaches engineering and hard sciences is still pretty cool

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

yup i just saw that on the live scoring.

Welp a national qualifier from a school that only teaches engineering and hard sciences is still pretty cool

It's double elimination, he can still be an All American if he can get two wins on the backside. Intermat only ranks to 8 for D-II but most likely he won't see anybody who is ranked until the consolation semifinals, and by then he'd have secured AA status.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I rolled for the first time in a while and chain wrestled a guy who is bigger/stronger/more skilled than I am for what seemed like forever (but was probably actually 10 seconds only) and got the takedown :woop:

I landed in half guard and baited him with an americana setup, and while defending he put himself into position for an arm triangle. He defended really well but then tapped :woop:

Then he proceeded to completely outwrestle and manhandle me and tapped me like 7 times with armlocks :smith:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

1st AD posted:

I rolled for the first time in a while and chain wrestled a guy who is bigger/stronger/more skilled than I am for what seemed like forever (but was probably actually 10 seconds only) and got the takedown :woop:

I landed in half guard and baited him with an americana setup, and while defending he put himself into position for an arm triangle. He defended really well but then tapped :woop:

Then he proceeded to completely outwrestle and manhandle me and tapped me like 7 times with armlocks :smith:

Lesson learned. Next time what you want to do is defend the entire round, go for a sneaky sub in the last 10 seconds and then victory run straight out the door

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Alfalfa posted:

I'd really recommend you stick with the nogi. If you get destroyed that's fine, keeps you hones. But more likely you'll do good and have fun and get that much more tournament experience. And it's important to realize that tournaments can be long, tedious processes and once you're there you're gonna be glad for every opportunity to get out on the mats and work.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Double post? That's new

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

A Wry Smile posted:

I'd really recommend you stick with the nogi. If you get destroyed that's fine, keeps you hones. But more likely you'll do good and have fun and get that much more tournament experience. And it's important to realize that tournaments can be long, tedious processes and once you're there you're gonna be glad for every opportunity to get out on the mats and work.

I'm mainly worried I'm not going to have enough in the tank for both divisions. A lot of the matches end up being close to back 2 back and I typically feel like death for like 10+ minutes after a hard 6:00 roll in the gym.

That and I'm just nervous as hell considering my main defense right now when I start getting dominated is to grab a pant leg and pin it down so I can maneuver around it to escape.

Not being able to do that, I won't know what to do with my hands lol.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got back from no-gi and and noticed a bunch of circular marks on my inner arm. Initially I thought I got really unlucky and got something from the mat but I've been fastidious with the hygiene. As the time went on the marks are now purple/brown and look a lot like bruises. Two questions, can sparring cause small circular bruises like this (spread apart but some clusters), also I'm it's assuming it's not possible for a mat disease not to show up only 10 minutes after class? I bruise easy and my wrestler friend said it could just be burst capillaries or something but I want the internet to make me feel less paranoid. I have no cuts or anything on that location on my arm.

e- I know it's not ringworm, i've seen that. And nothing has spread.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Those are likely bruises from the fingertips of people gripping you. If you are a beginner in grappling or are susceptible to bruising you will get those. You should stop getting them after a while.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

Those are likely bruises from the fingertips of people gripping you. If you are a beginner in grappling or are susceptible to bruising you will get those. You should stop getting them after a while.

Ok this explanation makes sense. It's worse on my right arm which I was using a lot more. I was wondering how I could get bruises like this from say just being driven into the ground.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Seltzer posted:

Ok this explanation makes sense. It's worse on my right arm which I was using a lot more. I was wondering how I could get bruises like this from say just being driven into the ground.

I get these all the time still. I think the blood vessels on the underside of the arm are fairly weak so you get a lot more bruising there than anywhere else.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

IT BEGINS posted:

I get these all the time still. I think the blood vessels on the underside of the arm are fairly weak so you get a lot more bruising there than anywhere else.

Do they go away quick? It's gonna be a pain explaining that I don't have a disease all tomorrow.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

They're often an indicator of domestic violence, so girls who train get weird looks about them sometimes from doctors and stuff.

I haven't had them for awhile but when I do they're purple for one day, yellow the next day, and gone the next.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

I'm mainly worried I'm not going to have enough in the tank for both divisions. A lot of the matches end up being close to back 2 back and I typically feel like death for like 10+ minutes after a hard 6:00 roll in the gym.

That and I'm just nervous as hell considering my main defense right now when I start getting dominated is to grab a pant leg and pin it down so I can maneuver around it to escape.

Not being able to do that, I won't know what to do with my hands lol.

This is like the fitness equivalent of body dysmorphia

Just do both divisions, you'll have plenty of time to rest. Grappling tournaments don't exactly run like clockwork. And if you do get tired, so what. You'll still walk away with twice as much competition experience than you would have if you only did one, and experience is a billion times more important for you at this point than winning.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 12, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I went to another class and it was confirmed the reason my inner arm looks like it was lit up by a paintball gun was from the no gi rolling. Thanks all for helping me not get paranoid. Too bad I'm gonna look like a weirdo for st pats tomorrow.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Too bad I'm gonna look like a weirdo for st pats tomorrow.

Well, somebody had to be the first one ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

It's double elimination, he can still be an All American if he can get two wins on the backside. Intermat only ranks to 8 for D-II but most likely he won't see anybody who is ranked until the consolation semifinals, and by then he'd have secured AA status.

He got pinned again. :smith: