Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Tonnon v Halek at Metamoris (serious post)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGFU43epufA/

Fun fact - this match is happening at a 205 pound weight limit. Garry's going to be weighing 165 because he has a match at 160 a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought Metamoris was a quarter of a million in debt?

Wangsbig posted:

can a blue stripe still open a franchise because lol if so

Of course.

There were a few gyms near where I went to college that were ran by blue belts.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

Las Vegas

Dallas is the correct answer for low cost of living and tons of bjj

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Keg posted:

Rorion's idiot shithead kids are getting rid of online blue belts (replacing it with a white belt with a blue stripe) and are requiring their white belts to have at least a year of rolling experience before they can test for blue belts now. Good.

$53 Million they made last year....

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Dallas is the correct answer for low cost of living and tons of bjj

But then you A) Have to live in Dallas. And B) Don't get near the quality of instruction that you would in Vegas :smug:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

JaySB posted:

The advantages of living 2 minutes away from your gym and not having to work...

Speaking of that, did you ever do an A/T thread about your WSOP experience?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wry Smile posted:

I grew up in SD and honestly I'd love to be closer to family and BJJ heaven but low cost of living? Where can I get some of that? Everything I see is like '1bed0bath shipping crate: $2000/mo'

Just don't live in the stupid overpriced hipster areas. Socal culture is to drive everywhere anyways.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Keg posted:

Speaking of that, did you ever do an A/T thread about your WSOP experience?

I did not. But feel free to ask away if you'd like.

Edit: To be fair I think at the time when people probably would have been interested I was too busy traveling the world and trying to have sex with cocktail waitresses and strippers. Now I don't know if anyone even remembers or cares.

JaySB fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 9, 2016

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

JaySB posted:

Edit: To be fair I think at the time when people probably would have been interested I was too busy traveling the world and trying to have sex with cocktail waitresses and strippers. Now I don't know if anyone even remembers or cares.

Well did you have sex with the strippers?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Keg posted:

Well did you have sex with the strippers?

Many strippers, many cocktail waitresses, many random girls. Found a good chick that I should have married but didn't. Blew a bunch of money, had the best 3 years of my adult life by far....And now I'm here.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

JaySB posted:

I remember back in 2008/2009 when I helped you with some training stuff, and you hooked me up with one of your buddies to get me in a few clubs when I went to Vegas for work and you were gone.

Keep fighting the good fight!!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
WARNING!!!!!! A NON DEPRESSING NIERBO JUDO POST INCOMING!!!

Who wouldve thought that confidence was all I needed to actually throw people. I hit a few koshi gurumas and a bunch of osotos in randori last night. Even did a few wazari into armbar transitions. Far more success than I've ever had in randori. And I hit a sweet Dan Kelly non Gi Koshi guruma where you clasp your hands beside their head and turn in for the throw. I asked the coach if he would grade me near xmas and he said he would. gently caress I want my blue belt so bad.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just a little over 4 months of training and I finally tapped someone in sparring. Feels good. Used a ezekiel choke as well.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Just a little over 4 months of training and I finally tapped someone in sparring. Feels good. Used a ezekiel choke as well.

I still remember mine! - kimura from the bottom that was all muscle and then I never saw the guy again.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

origami posted:

I still remember mine! - kimura from the bottom that was all muscle and then I never saw the guy again.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen the brown belt I tapped on day 2 with a kimura.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Can't imagine tapping a brown belt on my second day - my dance partner was equally as terrible as me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was like, welp, it isn't gonna get much better from here for a long time. And whattya know. It hasn't.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Signed up for grappling industries, intermediate No-Gi this Sunday. Fingers crossed!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Good luck!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

WARNING!!!!!! A NON DEPRESSING NIERBO JUDO POST INCOMING!!!

Who wouldve thought that confidence was all I needed to actually throw people. I hit a few koshi gurumas and a bunch of osotos in randori last night. Even did a few wazari into armbar transitions. Far more success than I've ever had in randori. And I hit a sweet Dan Kelly non Gi Koshi guruma where you clasp your hands beside their head and turn in for the throw. I asked the coach if he would grade me near xmas and he said he would. gently caress I want my blue belt so bad.

How long have you been doing judo?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CommonShore posted:

How long have you been doing judo?

On and off for 4 years.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

kickascii posted:

One minor annoyance is getting stuck with a girl partner for the class. Usually 2-4 girls show up but they never pair up, they always grab a dude right away. I guess they don't want to get paired up with a girl either

I only read this thread to see progress of PSPMMA goons and reminisce about my forays into MMA and BJJ. (The BJJ one was extra sort thanks to a health thing.) This means I largely stay quiet because I don't have anything to contribute unless the once a year fencing derail pops up. This thread is awesome with the know hows teaching the know nots so I mostly keep my mouth shut.

But then...every now....a loving post like this comes along and AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thank you. Thank you for this statement.

Oh God a girl!

Edit : Since we are talking about our first taps in BJJ here is mine. I weighed a flabby but thick 200 and rarely got paired with little folks but when I did I focused on learning and not hulking out. I had a 110 pound teenage kid get paired with me and I complemented how well he was doing because he was getting frustrated that he couldn't tap me. It was only because of my size. I told him, genuinely, "Man I envy you starting and half my age. I'll never catch up with your knowledge!" He did the loving most :smug: face and said, "Yeah, you'll be in a nursing home pretty soon, right?"

With two minutes left I arm in choked him with hulk strength three times. I was basically beating up a skinny kid at least twelve years younger than me and it was ONE OF THE MOST SATISFYING MOMENTS OF MY LIFE.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 10, 2016

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Seltzer posted:

I had a question about grappling cardio. My normal cardio is decent, my grappling cardio is much less so. In the past week or so I've made a point to roll more and take less breaks during open mats, I was wondering if that could be counter productive at a certain point? Today I was completely shot at the end and just poorly defending, I was thinking maybe I should roll up to the point of being extremely tired but maybe not completely gassed for two more rolls.

Coming back to this for a minute, definitely roll until you're dead. First, it's more mat time, and mat time is king. Second, an important part of your cardio is going to be understanding just how deep you can dig for more energy. You can keep pushing while 'in the red' for a quite a while before you really can't defend any more.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Anybody going to the Sapateiro this weekend?

Alfalfa posted:

back in 2008/2009

JaySB posted:

Many strippers, many cocktail waitresses, many random girls. Found a good chick that I should have married but didn't. Blew a bunch of money, had the best 3 years of my adult life by far....And now I'm here.

Ohhhhh, you used to have an Ask/Tell about this right? That was a good thread.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What videos do you guys show people if you're trying to show them what BJJ is, or convince them to try it out? How do you try to sell it?

I'm putting together a video specifically to show new people, and I'm curious what other people like to show.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Ohhhhh, you used to have an Ask/Tell about this right? That was a good thread.

I had an ask me anything about Vegas thread which got moved to tourism and travel. Which is now just the Las Vegas thread I guess.

On topic, my gym is not a leg lock gym at all. Is that at all weird?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What videos do you guys show people if you're trying to show them what BJJ is, or convince them to try it out? How do you try to sell it?

I'm putting together a video specifically to show new people, and I'm curious what other people like to show.

Jiu Jitsu VS The World

For anyone with a decent attention span, I think this is an incredible documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyyp7uVmiA

JaySB fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If this was the ufc thread I'd link roidtech. Seriously though there's a bunch of stuff on YouTube if you just search bjj demo, you can tailor it to beginner stuff or the best of the best. There's a Demian Maia vs. Jacare match up there that's very high level.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Alfalfa posted:

I remember back in 2008/2009 when I helped you with some training stuff, and you hooked me up with one of your buddies to get me in a few clubs when I went to Vegas for work and you were gone.

Keep fighting the good fight!!

He runs (ran?) a company now that does good deals on Vegas hotel rooms and I had the sickest time ever.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.

I guarantee you're better than you were ten months ago, and BJJ is a lifetime pursuit. I hope you change your mind.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Honestly, UFC 1

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Marching Powder posted:

I guarantee you're better than you were ten months ago, and BJJ is a lifetime pursuit. I hope you change your mind.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to say but couldn't think of how to phrase it other than, "Come on, man, quitting ain't cool'. If it ain't working out for you, it ain't working out, but being beat's nothing to fret over.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Maybe look into trying a new school before bailing all together

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If it makes you feel any better I was awful at BJJ for ages. I'm the exact opposite of a natural, but I enjoyed it so I didn't quit. It took me 3 years to get blue and I don't feel like I deserved it when I got it. I've been blue for 3 or 4 years now. Took some time off when I couldn't afford to train, took some time off for some dumb injuries, changed schools a couple of times to find the right one for me. I had some weird mental blocks that slowed down my progress. Things didn't really click for me until about twelve months ago when I went from a piece of poo poo who taps to white belts regularly into a whirlwind of death of destruction. Now I am the Genghis Khan of blue belts and they fall to me faster than Russian city-states.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I trained my rear end off my first 10 months and thought I must be literally retarded I was picking things up so slowly. I hope you reconsider if this is the only reason you're giving it up.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

And? Were you taking BJJ classes to 'win'? At some point when you advance enough to bump up to an intermediate/advanced/whatever class you will be the low person on the totem pole again and start the whole process of feeling like you don't know anything and aren't advancing over. If your goal is to be the best you that you can be, BJJ is a great tool, and the price is getting beat up and tapped out. If you were just styling on fools, it would do nothing for you, even if it would feel much better for your ego. If you wrestled around with a friend who doesn't train, you would likely realize how far you have actually come in real terms. Trying to compare yourself to people at the gym is a trap. 'Oh, that guy always beats me' 'this new guy used to wrestle so I can't do anything' and so on are stories we can make up to excuse ourselves from trying harder and making honest assessments of our progress.

If it is currently that dispiriting, take a break. Try something else that might help you reshape your life. I'll suggest power yoga as it will kick your rear end as completely as BJJ, but in a different way and without a guy dripping sweat into your mouth.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Acinonyx posted:

without a guy dripping sweat into your mouth.

Doesn't sound like it's for me.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminds me of weight lifting, if I compared myself to everyone at the gyms I've trained at I would have just gone home crying into my ice cream on day 1... Now I'm pretty sure I look like a gorilla to a lot of people starting out. Being poo poo in training is what training is for. gently caress isis!! Go Train!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Been rolling for almost two years now, still consistently get smashed, have subbed people less than ten times ever, still enjoy it :shrug: