Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

johnwayne'smom posted:

I don't want to sit in my own stew for a day with the Ketoconazole.

Haha I had the exact same thought when I read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Haha I had the exact same thought when I read that.

Between ringworm and being stinky and gross for a day, being stinky and gross wins every time.

If you have to work or something I'm sure the doc will just tell you to do it in the evening and just wait to shower until the morning. I don't know if 24 hours is some magic number or something.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

westcoaster posted:

The towel pull-ups sound great.

yeah did some of these earlier in the week along with static holds with deadlifts-after heavy deadlifts without straps for first time in awhile- and some plate pinching and my hands have had bad doms all week. The towel pull ups were especially difficult I tried to do as many sets and reps as possible but my hands started to cramp up doing them. I guess I'm not used to working out my hands much but I don't know how you could do grip work daily easily at least.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shizen posted:

I guess I'm not used to working out my hands much but I don't know how you could do grip work daily easily at least.

Get a couple juggling balls or stress balls and just squeeze them whenever your hands are free.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Fleshpeg posted:

I got caught by the "Oh, I'm hurt and I'm out of shape, let's just flow roll" trick by a random white belt tonight. I was immediately bowled over onto my back and he managed to pry an arm free for an Americana. I tapped before he could get it fully on because there's no way I'm trusting some idiot who is making full on grunting noises to know when to stop. I can understand that poo poo when people are new, but this guy had trained for a few years somewhere else before joining. Oh well, I won't feel bad about going full speed on him from now on.

good job continuing the cycle i guess i'm sure he'll learn on his own or something

or maybe you should just talk to him???

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

the periodic fable posted:

good job continuing the cycle i guess i'm sure he'll learn on his own or something

or maybe you should just talk to him???

Who would say "let's go light" and then not go light? People who deserve to get beat up. Talking doesn't teach people like this, they have to get embarrassed. Kick his rear end and THEN say "I thought you said let's go light? Why were you beasting?"

It's not like the instructor said "go light guys" and he's a new guy who gets scared when he rolls so he just freaks out. I've had that happen and when I told him "dude that's not going light" he really didn't know what light was and he just couldn't get himself to do it because he couldn't stop panicking when put in a situation where he might get choked.

This guy specifically said "let's go light" and then went beastmode. He's doing something underhanded and doesn't deserve a talking to, he deserves to be shown the difference between light and not light.

Some people learn from talking.
Some people learn from getting their rear end kicked.
Some people will NEVER learn no matter what you do so you just have to embarrass them until they stop showing up.

If he's doing it on purpose like this guy is, talking alone probably won't do it so I say you've gotta do both.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Who would say "let's go light" and then not go light? People who deserve to get beat up. Talking doesn't teach people like this, they have to get embarrassed. Kick his rear end and THEN say "I thought you said let's go light? Why were you beasting?"

What's the point of kicking the guy's rear end, if you're trying to teach him that getting your rear end kicked or not getting your rear end kicked is beside the point? Seems like it undermines the whole lesson.

OK, I've never dealt with this (and I'm pretty new to the sport in general), so maybe I'm way off-base. But it seems like this guy's idiocy is so obvious that it shouldn't be hard to explain to him, especially if you wait to take him aside until your temper subsides and your adrenaline levels go down.

It seems like you should be able to say "I'm here to learn, and bullshit like this makes it harder. If that's the way you intend to act, I'm not interested in rolling with you in the future, and nobody else will be either. At any rate, whatever ego boost you get from tricking someone into a submission can't be that valuable, especially compared with actually improving your game, which you won't accomplish this way even if you do find training partners." Even if "embarrassing him until he stops showing up" is your goal, this is more effective than a few armbars.

Now obviously it counts for something if you can demonstrate that you're better at BJJ than him, even "despite" your laid-back attitude. If you tie him into a pretzel and then have this conversation, so much the better. But I'd say you should consider it a challenge to show this guy the nature of his foolishness. Verbally outmatching someone is at least as valuable a skill as BJJ, and in my opinion it's a skill everyone should make some effort to gain. From that perspective, resorting to the shortcut "I'll just choke a lesson into him instead of even making an effort to talk sense first" seems like the verbal equivalent of this guy's grappling shenanigans: it's lazy, and it's ultimately pointless since you or someone else can always kick his rear end another day if you have to.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 30, 2011

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Theres always guys like that. Now is a good time to practice your dirty tricks and neck cranks. Or avoid him.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

McNerd posted:

OK, I've never dealt with this (and I'm pretty new to the sport in general), so maybe I'm way off-base. But it seems like this guy's idiocy is so obvious that it shouldn't be hard to explain to him, especially if you wait to take him aside until your temper subsides and your adrenaline levels go down.

If it was someone who was brand new, I would absolutely have just said something to the guy. I don't have a problem when new guys spaz because they genuinely don't know any better, but this guy was definitely not new or ignorant. If you actually use the words "flow roll", then you're experienced enough to know what that means. It was obvious that he was just hoping to catch someone off guard to get a tap.

There's other guys with just one gear who tend to roll close to competition speed all the time and I don't have any complaints. Learning against someone going full speed is a major part of the sport. I'm a mediocre new blue belt who has been caught or overpowered plenty of times and it's not a big deal because I learn from it. It's the idea of intentionally tricking people so you can smugly add a mark to a mental notebook somewhere that bugs me.

I was more annoyed than angry, so I'm not plotting my revenge or thinking of ways to pay him back (I won't feel bad crossfacing the hell out of him though). I just thought it was a funny "What the gently caress? Did that just happen?" story.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

this is some weird prestige thing that i didn't expect out of you. why would you assume that kicking his rear end would make him learn?

i strongly doubt you can teach many people not to do something by repeating what they're doing and not saying anything, it isn't going to work. way, way too many people just decide to go even harder on people who go too hard and i don't see how people expect them to learn from that.
even if you stop to talk to him "owning" him first just sounds like wanting to show off exactly like he was doing.

if he goes too hard, just relax, stop fighting (obviously don't let yourself get injured) and tell him "whoa what the hell, you said go light and that isn't light" and take it from there. and if he doesn't learn from that tell him you aren't going to roll with him anymore and hope that the next guy does the same thing. the day he stands without sparring partners will be the only time he learns if he hasn't by that point.

i can understand wanting to style on him if "smugly adding a mark to a mental notebook somewhere" bothers you that much as long as you realise you're not doing it out of any altruistic reasons. (using the general You here)

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 1, 2011

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Our MMA class is constantly dealing with this issue- some kid showed up last time talking about his BJJ brown belt, I asked for a light roll to get an idea of his skill level, he started beasting as soon as I broke his guard to try to force a triangle and then needed a water break when I took his back.

You try to talk to them, and they go light for a couple seconds and go back to beast mode. You try to school them and they start thrashing and tensing when you lock in a sub making it tough to apply gently.

But I've finally figured out the solution: you literally just be completely relaxed. They're so eager to sink the sub when you relax that they rush it and it's easy to find your window to escape, and then you can just hang out letting them try different poo poo on you until it finally clicks that this stuff only works when it's done with calm control.

Give it a shot, sounds silly and you've gotta be comfortable with your last second sub escapes but the ragdoll method has caused a near-miraculous change in some of our gym's most 'enthusiastic' members.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 2, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think you have to make a distinction between guys that just don't know better, and actual assholes. A lot of people just don't get it and will figure things out in time. A smaller number are straight up jerks with terrible ego problems. The nice thing is that the straight up jerks usually quit in a month, or remain white belts for 2 years then give up and quit.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I actually have a question, since I know I'm guilty of using too much strength and tensing up too much in general, without meaning to.

Where do you draw the line when "rolling light"? I mean, certain moves just don't work at low power and low speed. Is there seriously any way to to bridge and hip escape out of mount without really exploding into the bridge, for instance? If not, should I change up my strategy and look for other escapes in this situation, and work on that technique another time? Or is it okay to give him the best upward bounce I can give, as long as I don't lose my head and keep freaking out after that? Or does "light" mean that ideally he shouldn't really be weighing down on me as heavily as normal, so that I might be able to ease up and still execute this?

If my example's bad, of course feel free to substitute a better one.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 2, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
^^^Use the right amount of force. Its just something you'll need to feel. Effortless force? Only take what is there ?

In other news, I put my pajama back on; Rickson is coming to my gym this month.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

I think you have to make a distinction between guys that just don't know better, and actual assholes. A lot of people just don't get it and will figure things out in time. A smaller number are straight up jerks with terrible ego problems. The nice thing is that the straight up jerks usually quit in a month, or remain white belts for 2 years then give up and quit.

actually the dude who says "let's roll light" then ends up spitting and sputtering while trying to rape choke you is the only cool guy in the gym

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
My mollescums are gone. It's monday! Time to trai--- HOLD UP, what's this?

Oh. Oh, it's a cold with a fever. Thanks, universe.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Go anyway, nothing like having that one dude in the gym hacking up a lung all over his unlucky training partner who's just praying its allergies.

gomi pile posted:

actually the dude who says "let's roll light" then ends up spitting and sputtering while trying to rape choke you is the only cool guy in the gym

Hey, uh, how much do you weigh bro?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Hey, uh, how much do you weigh bro?

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

fatherdog posted:

Oh yeah, makes sense. I'm only 168. You're still pretty good though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Oh yeah, makes sense. I'm only 168. You're still pretty good though.

No, Gomi Pile is 172. I'm around 225 on a good day.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

I know you are a huge creature, it was a joke. You ruined it with your creepy carnival barker knowledge of weights.

Grab Your Foot! fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 3, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also when people ask me how much I weigh in the middle of the roll it is the cue for me to sub them from the bottom for the next five minutes

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Man I'm like 80% deep half guard and people still ask me how much I weigh, which is instrumental to the process of having you on top of me.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Man I'm like 80% deep half guard and people still ask me how much I weigh, which is instrumental to the process of having you on top of me.

I use this exact method at bars

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The nicest thing anyone has ever said to me was that he thought I was a solid 165 at least. I'm only over 155 after dinner~

Although, I've been mostly sitting on my rear end for almost 3 weeks eating oreos, so that might have changed.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I was rolling with a guys who was visiting our gym who asked me how much I weighed after I hit this on him.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

The nicest thing anyone has ever said to me was that he thought I was a solid 165 at least. I'm only over 155 after dinner~

Although, I've been mostly sitting on my rear end for almost 3 weeks eating oreos, so that might have changed.

everyone thinks I'm like 170 but I'm actually 155-160. Which is not super weird but I used to weigh like 145 and people stillthought I was like 170. If I ever do that cycle I've been fantasizing about, I'll be like 210 and guys will say "...about 170". Then I will choke slam them because my gorilla strength has transcended jiu-jitsu.

johnwayne'smom
Oct 16, 2004
i wish i had an evil twin
Myself and another bigger dude at my gym are making shirts that say "Big Dudes Against Whiny Bitches" or something to that effect because we're sick of getting dissed. There are certain people who complain after EVERY loving ROLL about the size differential and it's getting really old. If you're saying that I dominated you simply because I'm bigger, you're basically saying that my jiu jitsu sucks. Different body types are part of the game, I don't complain when someone is faster or stronger than I am. My jiu jitsu should still work regardless of who I'm rolling with, right?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Xguard86 posted:

I'll be like 210 and guys will say "...about 170". Then I will choke slam them because my gorilla strength has transcended jiu-jitsu.

http://www.tri-coasta.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29858

I feel this shirt would be appropriate for someone like you ;)

I picked it up at the expo for $15 :D

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

McNerd posted:

What's the point of kicking the guy's rear end, if you're trying to teach him that getting your rear end kicked or not getting your rear end kicked is beside the point? Seems like it undermines the whole lesson.

It seems like you should be able to say "I'm here to learn, and bullshit like this makes it harder. If that's the way you intend to act, I'm not interested in rolling with you in the future, and nobody else will be either. At any rate, whatever ego boost you get from tricking someone into a submission can't be that valuable, especially compared with actually improving your game, which you won't accomplish this way even if you do find training partners." Even if "embarrassing him until he stops showing up" is your goal, this is more effective than a few armbars.

Now obviously it counts for something if you can demonstrate that you're better at BJJ than him, even "despite" your laid-back attitude. If you tie him into a pretzel and then have this conversation, so much the better. But I'd say you should consider it a challenge to show this guy the nature of his foolishness. Verbally outmatching someone is at least as valuable a skill as BJJ, and in my opinion it's a skill everyone should make some effort to gain. From that perspective, resorting to the shortcut "I'll just choke a lesson into him instead of even making an effort to talk sense first" seems like the verbal equivalent of this guy's grappling shenanigans: it's lazy, and it's ultimately pointless since you or someone else can always kick his rear end another day if you have to.

the periodic fable posted:

this is some weird prestige thing that i didn't expect out of you. why would you assume that kicking his rear end would make him learn?

i strongly doubt you can teach many people not to do something by repeating what they're doing and not saying anything, it isn't going to work. way, way too many people just decide to go even harder on people who go too hard and i don't see how people expect them to learn from that.
even if you stop to talk to him "owning" him first just sounds like wanting to show off exactly like he was doing.

if he goes too hard, just relax, stop fighting (obviously don't let yourself get injured) and tell him "whoa what the hell, you said go light and that isn't light" and take it from there. and if he doesn't learn from that tell him you aren't going to roll with him anymore and hope that the next guy does the same thing. the day he stands without sparring partners will be the only time he learns if he hasn't by that point.

i can understand wanting to style on him if "smugly adding a mark to a mental notebook somewhere" bothers you that much as long as you realise you're not doing it out of any altruistic reasons. (using the general You here)

I just feel like with the mentality these guys have, just giving them a talking-to results in them thinking "yeah yeah whatever I still tapped you".

They can mentally delude themselves into avoiding the point of the talking-to, but they can't mentally avoid getting knee on belly for 5 minutes.

I still say you should do both, but yeah, just not rolling with the guy can work too. But still, somebody has to kick his rear end at some point, and they will, and he won't be able to deal with it and he'll stop showing up because he's not getting any better because he doesn't actually train, he just pulls poo poo like this.

Either way, these guys never last long so they won't be a problem in 6 months.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fawker posted:

http://www.tri-coasta.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29858

I feel this shirt would be appropriate for someone like you ;)

I picked it up at the expo for $15 :D

haha I am putting that on my wish list. Especially since that is basically the opposite of my life.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

johnwayne'smom posted:

Myself and another bigger dude at my gym are making shirts that say "Big Dudes Against Whiny Bitches" or something to that effect because we're sick of getting dissed. There are certain people who complain after EVERY loving ROLL about the size differential and it's getting really old. If you're saying that I dominated you simply because I'm bigger, you're basically saying that my jiu jitsu sucks. Different body types are part of the game, I don't complain when someone is faster or stronger than I am. My jiu jitsu should still work regardless of who I'm rolling with, right?

well in no gi especially if the bigger guy is on top of me I really feel helpless, like there is no way to get them off of me due to massive weight advantage. Yet if I can somehow manage to get on top of them-or usually just start in there guard- there technique seems a lot worse then when they are on top. I think bigger guys should probably work from bottom more-when going against a smaller guy- since they are so used to being on top of guys from brute power.

I guess depends how much weight-and especially strength- difference there is though. I"m still fairly new but size/strength does seem to give the person a big advantage-especially on top when they an just smash you without using much technique-. I generally judge someones skill by how good there bottom game is.

shizen fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 4, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

THEIR

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

shizen posted:

well in no gi especially if the bigger guy is on top of me I really feel helpless.

I"m still fairly new.

I generally judge someone.

it is a math equation. Solve for X

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I actually feel like stronger/bigger guys are a lot harder to deal with on top in gi than no gi. In no gi you can keep fighting for the underhook and sliding out; in gi when a guy who's stronger than you gets tight grips you're really going to struggle.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I actually feel like stronger/bigger guys are a lot harder to deal with on top in gi than no gi. In no gi you can keep fighting for the underhook and sliding out; in gi when a guy who's stronger than you gets tight grips you're really going to struggle.

also, lazy old men with retard strength and good angles have a distinctly unfair advantage.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

shizen posted:

I think bigger guys should probably work from bottom more-when going against a smaller guy- since they are so used to being on top of guys from brute power.

Im a bigger guy and because I dont want to rely on my size/weight advantage, I always ask the dude Im rolling with if I could start on the bottom.

Im hoping to compete eventually, and when/if I do that size/weight advantage wont be there.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

fatherdog posted:

Also in gi, big strong motherfuckers with ropey technique can just grab handfuls of lapel and attempt to amputate your head if you start getting tricksy. As a weakling, it offends me.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
What do people recommend for a cup for BJJ/grappling? I picked one up, but I think it's for football - it's huge and makes me look like a superhero. I guess that's good for certain situations, but I'd like something more discreet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

What do people recommend for a cup for BJJ/grappling? I picked one up, but I think it's for football - it's huge and makes me look like a superhero. I guess that's good for certain situations, but I'd like something more discreet.

I use the Shock Doctor compression shorts/cup. Stays in place well enough, and also protects my modesty.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx