Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«315 »
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

I don't sit out unless I have control of one arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KildarX
Oct 24, 2010

Worst decision I ever made.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I don't sit out unless I have control of one arm.

Pretty much, the peek outs, sit outs, etc require some sort of control on your opponent or really good sensitivity in sticking to your opponent with your body. These sorts of escapes rely a touch more on athleticism, but a large majority of it is getting the details correct and using them ONLY when you have the correct conditions for the escape.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

With the new rules, newaza is lasting longer at tournaments which is exposing the fighters who rely on it to force a mate. Refs are allowing newaza to last longer when there is some progress being made, resulting in turtle becoming a victim pose. At my last tournament, I arm-barred the one guy who turtled with waki gatame as he let me crush him into the floor and, applied weight to control, and ripped his arm out. He was upset because the ref would have called mate for not enough action, but he was not aware that refs eased up on this rule for a while.

He went to complain to the head ref, who is my sensei, and all he told him was to learn how to fight with the new rules.

That's cool. I last cross trained judo several years ago, so my experience might be becoming out of date.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Couple cool details on the kimura from bottom half by Garry Tonon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Ka2fa1sqE

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

After having ages of basically sucking at no-gi takedowns because I'm more of a grip machine, I started trying to use a lateral drop earlier and had massive success with it. Always nice when you get those little "lightbulb" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

No-submission update.

Talked to my coaches a bit about it as I've stalled out. One has told me to start finishing submissions again, but only if it doesn't sacrifice position.

The other has me starting from turtle for all rolls for a while.

So now I'm only going for stuff like RNC, aggressive guillotines, straight armbars (ude gatami), and scramble triangles.

«315 »