Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Unfunny Poster posted:

If in the chance I'm in that spot I just try to grab tye neck/lapel and pull guard. It's a much better spot that letting them dictate how they take you down and their position at the end.

Just make sure your balls don't get knee'd on accident.

A shameful post.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSCEeA1UnM

Had no idea what a sumi gaeshi was, looked it up, and found this video. I hope it helps someone else out. I definitely have some things I want to try when I go back to the gym.

Just a note of caution, if your opponent catches a terrible head-outside single and you attempt a terrible sumi counter it's very easy to spike them right onto the top of their head.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ihop posted:

Just a note of caution, if your opponent catches a terrible head-outside single and you attempt a terrible sumi counter it's very easy to spike them right onto the top of their head.

Good to know, thanks.

Proper technique for a single leg is that the head is on the inside, not the outside, right?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

mariooncrack posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Proper technique for a single leg is that the head is on the inside, not the outside, right?
Yes, head to the inside. When you "run the pipe" to take your opponent down, the head moves momentarily to the outside.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

What's the downside

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

What's the downside

PTSD after you kill someone at a judo tournament

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

PTSD after you kill someone at a judo tournament

coward

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
As long as you don't do it on concrete it's all good.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If Fedor can handle being dropped on his head, so can they :colbert:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

have they said anything about the next Eddie Bravo Invitational? I'm sad I missed 15.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Does your gym not even allow straight anklelocks for white belts? Boo.

I stand corrected, you are allowed to do anklelocks. I need to learn what those are

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

TheTofuShop posted:

have they said anything about the next Eddie Bravo Invitational? I'm sad I missed 15.

I think EBI 16 is in June.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spb posted:

I stand corrected, you are allowed to do anklelocks. I need to learn what those are

You should, they are both fun and good, and are a part of having a dangerous two way game.

Then you can be that guy in the gym who people go to to lean "that foot poo poo."

:getin:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

butros posted:

Maybe 5th in Vegas, female featherweights. One of the brown belts from my gym is competing.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

butros posted:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

drat, they announced it, put out promo vids and then moved it. Cold world

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfPGYe-BJh-/?igref=ogexp&utm_source=fb_www_attr

JaySB fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 24, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Garry Tonon had his debut mma fight this morning streamed on Twitter. Spoiler, he did not really grapple at all so IDK if there is anything to talk about in the bjj thread. He did drop a Peoples Elbow....

EDIT: adding highlights clip:

https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/977556377592737792

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 24, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
GT seems like one of the most benevolent grapplers around. He never does anything I'd consider a "dick move" even if his opponents aren't so polite. Similar to Marcello. It's a little dissonant to see him straight up trying to hurt someone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just broke my rib in a newaza judo tournament. It's my third broken rib. I'm probably never competing again in grappling. I might have to reevaluate some stuff.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aw, poo poo. I hope you get better soon. :(

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I just broke my rib in a newaza judo tournament. It's my third broken rib. I'm probably never competing again in grappling. I might have to reevaluate some stuff.

:smith:

Why do bad things happen to good people?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

poo poo, hope you heal up soon man

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Yeah like your core strengthening routine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah like your core strengthening routine.

I have a pretty strong core, actually. The doc just thinks I have "defective" ribs. This poo poo always happens when I'm getting stacked a bit and I turn to the side. The first time - like five years ago - happened when I had a wrestler on my back and tried to roll out to my left. Pop. The second time - two years ago - happened when I was grappling with a big dude and I tried to waiter sweep him at the same moment that he dropped his weight on my hips. Pop.

This time I was trying to triangle a judoka and he was pushing into my leg that was over his shoulder. I was doing that goofy shoulder walk to keep the angle right, and something happened - I might have tried to reach under his arm to control him and prevent the pass? I can't really remember exactly what. But pop.

It has now happened twice on the left and once on the right, near the edge of the ribcage about two inches below the sternum. At least I have all of the tensors and wraps already! And thank the grapple gods for naproxen and methocarbamol. Phew.

I still got bronze in the division. In the first round I triangled a dude and he stuffed the arm, so I shoved my fist into the other side of his neck :classiclol:

In related news the new Judo Newaza tournament rules are... mediocre. This is an actual new official competition type sanctioned by the IJF, and the tournament I did was one of the very first ones that they've run anywhere - it was an extra bracket in a normal low-level tournament at the home club of an IJF A ref. The premise is that it's a sprint to 20 points in a 3-minute round. Positional advantages (passes and back takes) are worth 2 points. 10 seconds of osaekomi is worth 7 points. Submission is worth 20. They also give 2 points for submission attempts, however lovely, and they'll reset you to your knees if nothing is developing from any position. This means that if you pass someone's guard and pin them, then pass and pin again and go for an americana you win.

Mind that right now they're literally just test driving the rules, but I don't think that this is going to go anywhere. The most interesting thing about it, from a judo coach POV, is that it's an opportunity for my orange belts and yellow belts to get into some strangle fights for medals.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Walking on the mat with my 👞 on

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Walking on the mat with my 👞 on

Literally hitler.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Went to the IBJJF Chicago Open to support my school and it was a great time as always.

I didn't compete this time but I end up more injured then everyone that competed. Hit my knee really hard on a metal rail, oh boy it hurt and still does.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lucky it wasn't concrete

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

He's Digital Jedi, not Digital Thug.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I realize that nobody cares about the continuing adventures of the saddle position, but I caught my first Black belt in a toehold from the saddle (as they were countering and holding off the inside heel hook by pulling their feet in). Feels good to embrace the power of the dark side.

:toot:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 9, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

I realize that nobody cares about the continuing adventures of Drewjitsu in the saddle position, but I caught my first Black belt in a toehold from the saddle (as they were countering and holding off the inside heel hook by pulling their feet in). Feels good to embrace the power of the dark side.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Was he familiar with the position?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Was he familiar with the position?

Somewhat familiar, he's got a very sharp leg lock game generally, but I don't think he's got the ins and outs of the saddle position. At the very least, I'm teaching it to anyone who is interested, so I've got a little cult brewing at the gym. :3:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 27, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Using this thread as a diary is corny but I've really been becoming a lot more fluid and attacking recently and it feels cool the get into a flow state every once in awhile. At some point over the last month my brain has shut off a lot during guard passing and I've become a lot better at it.... feels good.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In sidecontrol, grab the persons lat instead of crushing them. This is what I learned tonight

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got choked all the way out today. That was fun

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

nice warrior spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Happened to me this week too. Although I only had a micro nap. To me, after I tapped out, my partner teleported near my feet.