Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Noob question: are armlocks and armbars the same thing? Feel like people use them interchangeably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

spb posted:

Noob question: are armlocks and armbars the same thing? Feel like people use them interchangeably.

i use armlocks to refer to the entire suite of arm submissions, or in place of a sub i don't know the name of.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's the Uncle Joe knee choke:

Note that the tapping hand is a blur because of the speed of the tap as the demo partner is literally passing out.

Gallery with fuller sequence.

https://imgur.com/a/6K0a8EL

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Man, I'm not going to make any friends if I use that one. Thanks for the pics though!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't believe I've ever said this about a move, but that's just rude, like get thrown out of the gym rude.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

Man, I'm not going to make any friends if I use that one. Thanks for the pics though!

Yeah he says he typically reserves it for dudes who think they're tough and are rolling too rough.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't believe I've ever said this about a move, but that's just rude, like get thrown out of the gym rude.

only if your gym is lame

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Only if it's done on concrete.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

the weak should fear the strong

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 9, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

only if your gym is lame

I dunno, 200 pounds of shin to your throat would leave probably more than a few experienced dudes more than a tiny bit salty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

I dunno, 200 pounds of shin to your throat would leave probably more than a few experienced dudes more than a tiny bit salty.

He explicitly turns the head to the side before putting the shin down. It's a blood choke combined with a kind of a spine crank.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

He explicitly turns the head to the side before putting the shin down. It's a blood choke combined with a kind of a spine crank.

It looks like you actually need to turn the head that way, to prevent them from shrimping to defend.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Doing mean poo poo to each other is part of the fun of grappling, as long as it's safe then it's all good imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It looks like you actually need to turn the head that way, to prevent them from shrimping to defend.

Yeah. It's hard to see too, but the thigh also blocks the elbow of that arm that he has pulled across.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

And based on how little force it took for someone to break my throat I wouldnt be surprised if someone put force on a little too fast and causes some pretty serious injuries trying this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. It's hard to see too, but the thigh also blocks the elbow of that arm that he has pulled across.

It basically looks like you can only go for it when you're 75% of the way to getting an armbar.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

only if your gym is lame

Yeah, no I think your rear end would be in some serious trouble if you pulled this poo poo. I know it would be in my gym.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Is this the first EBI with no DDS guys?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I assume because its slap-jitsu instead of the regular stuff.

I agreed to watch this at the bjj gym I go to, but from what I've seen of "combat jiu-jitsu" I'm not super keen.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I assume because its slap-jitsu instead of the regular stuff.

I agreed to watch this at the bjj gym I go to, but from what I've seen of "combat jiu-jitsu" I'm not super keen.

Same I don’t get the appeal.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Same I don’t get the appeal.

I would totally be down to watch IBJJF if they allowed slapping the poo poo out of your opponent. It'd make stall outs infinitely more interesting I think.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

I would totally be down to watch IBJJF if they allowed slapping the poo poo out of your opponent. It'd make stall outs infinitely more interesting I think.

I like the idea of it. IMO strikes keep BJJ honest, and re-enforces the value of the fundamentals, which tend to have striking at least in back of mind.

I tried watching some, expecting Bas Rutten-like palm strikes to the face. Instead it was skinny dudes in spats ineffectually slapping each other on the skull. It looked retarded, and didn't seem that effective either.

If these guys have figured out how to put some force behind the strikes then great. If not, it could be a long night.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Would rather they punch instead of slap

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Isn't MMA already a thing?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Isn't MMA already a thing?

The big reason the slapping is a thing is to theoretically allow players to open their opponents up when they're trying to stall and by proxy make it a bit more watchable for people who dont know grappling.

Weve done this in the gym a bit, and lemme tell you how much easier an americana from mount is if you slap the poo poo out of your opponent two or three time before attacking the arm.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.tatamifightwear.com/products/nova-plus-bjj-gi-blue-free-white-belt?variant=50200115284

I am about to order this Gi, I have no idea how to figure out the sizing. I am 6'0 and wight 180lbs +/- 5lbs

I think according to the size chart, I'm A2L?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm about an inch shorter than you and weigh the same. I've not worn a tatami gi but in other brands I can wear either a 2L or 3. I usually use the A3's for practice, since they'll get washed more.

ihop fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 30, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

EBI 17 was pretty cool.

Some takeaways:

1. Im not sure what the gently caress was going on with the audio, but its almost like they had another audio channel going on at the same time in the background and it was really loving annoying. Did anyone else pick up on that??

2. The announcers seem a little amateurish. Kyle Chambers most certainly did not break his nose but they tried to allude that he might have(?) Have they never seen a broken nose before?? (BTW Kyle is that loving fast with the leglocks, I rolled with him once and was like "wtf just happened??")

Now Im really looking forward to Quintet 3

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Does anyone else wear their team/gym gear when they travel? Completely anecdotal but I did it for this trip and had a handful of people strike up conversations based on that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

EBI 17 was pretty cool.

Some takeaways:

1. Im not sure what the gently caress was going on with the audio, but its almost like they had another audio channel going on at the same time in the background and it was really loving annoying. Did anyone else pick up on that??

2. The announcers seem a little amateurish. Kyle Chambers most certainly did not break his nose but they tried to allude that he might have(?) Have they never seen a broken nose before?? (BTW Kyle is that loving fast with the leglocks, I rolled with him once and was like "wtf just happened??")

I enjoyed myself, it was the first EBI I watched live. I couldn't hear the audio very well so can't comment there.

The open hand strikes were a bit effective. Neer used them the best I think, but as the skill level rose it trended towards pure BJJ. These guys need to learn from Bas Rutten, get those palm strikes to the face going.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

EBI 17 was pretty cool.

Some takeaways:

EBI commentary is always pretty meh. I enjoyed 17, it was interesting to see how the tactics change with the open palm striking, and there were some really exciting matches.

The setup and submission in the final match was pretty awesome - spoilers if you haven't seen it.

https://streamable.com/xu3wy

JaySB posted:

Does anyone else wear their team/gym gear when they travel? Completely anecdotal but I did it for this trip and had a handful of people strike up conversations based on that.

I have a few gym t-shirts in rotation and have had guys who train strike up conversations with me when they see the shirt - asking where my school is located and inviting me to drop in at their schools in the area.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Henry Cejudo is that you?

The wizzer can be a powerful way to control your opponent. In dogfight it seems as though the person that has it is usually in the dominant position. I loved that transition to guillotine, but I can also see it going to maybe a Darce(?)

But yeah, great tournament!!!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Quintet 3 looks sick.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The wizzer can be a powerful way to control your opponent. In dogfight it seems as though the person that has it is usually in the dominant position. I loved that transition to guillotine, but I can also see it going to maybe a Darce(?)

Yeah the wizzer control/takedown and then the seamless transition to the finish really caught my eye.

I also would have thought the Darce would have been more logical (as he wouldn't have had to switch grips from arm-in to no arm) but don't really know what I'm talking about. Anyone else have any perspectives on why the transition to guillotine was better here?

Also does anyone have any leads on good tutorials on more general wizzer/overhook control/setups? It's something I've been thinking about a lot recently so seeing this definitely piqued my interest further.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Yeah the wizzer control/takedown and then the seamless transition to the finish really caught my eye.

I also would have thought the Darce would have been more logical (as he wouldn't have had to switch grips from arm-in to no arm) but don't really know what I'm talking about. Anyone else have any perspectives on why the transition to guillotine was better here?

Also does anyone have any leads on good tutorials on more general wizzer/overhook control/setups? It's something I've been thinking about a lot recently so seeing this definitely piqued my interest further.

I'll try but I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong...

seems like the whizzering arm wasn't deep enough to secure the d'arce, but he had the choking arm nice and deep, so he switched the arm from the armpit (where the shoulder was down to prevent the d'arce) to above (which was open because the shoulder was down and the head was up... because d'arce) It's not so much that he just went d'arce->guillotine, but he switched choking arms in the transition.

In short, he went to the guillotine because buddy's d'arce defense left him open for the guillotine from the opposite arm.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone get the Front Headlock system yet?

edit: also suggestions for butterfly guard dvd? I'm going t ostart using it since I can maintain guard at all

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 1, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I think the detail is that he kicks with his inside leg so that the guy stoops low and then has his head wide open and ready for attack. You can actually see he does it twice and every time the head dips lower until it's vulnerable enough to actually go all in on that sub.

Edit : Using the kick out makes the person square up against you and (if standing) can bring to a front headlock with a bunch of guillotine attacks from there to choose from.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 2, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

Anyone get the Front Headlock system yet?

edit: also suggestions for butterfly guard dvd? I'm going t ostart using it since I can maintain guard at all

Sorry for the double post, Get adam wardzinski's DVD on butterfly guard, it's great and a DVD i'd recommend to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In case you forgot, Quintet 3 is this weekend.

Link - https://www.ufc.tv/video/quintet-3

Teams are as follows:

Team SAKURABA
Kazushi Sakuraba
Josh Barnett
Marcos Souza
Roberto Satoshi Souza
Daisuke Nakamura

Team Alpha Male
Urijah Faber
Dustin Akbari
Mansher (Munch) Khera