Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are there standard ways to tap when my hands aren't free? Gurgling "tpsh, tpsh" before stamping my feet twice shows that I need to figure this out ahead of time.

Tap with your feet if you can't articulate a tap with your words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

say the word tap loudly and repeatedly

Ok. Last night I was being choked while one arm was purposely restrained and I'd gotten the other caught in our gis, which is what lead to a moment (just a moment) of panic. My gym is kind and safe so I was fine, but it left an impression.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am essentially a giant human shaped squeaky toy so they will usually hear my squeak if they pull hard enough for a tap

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok. Last night I was being choked while one arm was purposely restrained and I'd gotten the other caught in our gis, which is what lead to a moment (just a moment) of panic. My gym is kind and safe so I was fine, but it left an impression.

Spastically move your fingers and tap the end of your feet real fast if your limbs can't move and you're unable to say tap. People generally recognize that you're tapping because there's no reason why you'd spaz around that much without actually using strength to get a better position. It's not ideal though because it really isn't as clear as a tap.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I actually, now that I think about it, have to work on my poker face in jiu jitsu. If I get caught in something I always make a yelp or something that gives me away.

Like, everyone knew my partner was doing triangles too hard during a drill because one time I just went "ACK" the second he got it on

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
You can use your legs to tap. Touch them with your foot or give the mat a good stomping.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Close your eyes and make your body go limp. When they release the hold open your eyes and quickly reverse the position.

Works even better if you actually lose consciousness.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ihop posted:

Close your eyes and make your body go limp. When they release the hold open your eyes and quickly reverse the position.

Works even better if you actually lose consciousness.

Reminds me of a mock martial arts vid I saw on the "ultimate bjj reversal" which is tap their shoulder and then punch them in the neck when they let you go

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mountain lion guy said he hit it with a rock then stepped on it's neck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWrVZ4LU8h4&t=104s

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Am I the only one who attempts to verbally tap in addition to using hands and feet any time I tap? Even on most chokes most of the time you can get out some sort of sputtered exclamation and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

butros posted:

Am I the only one who attempts to verbally tap in addition to using hands and feet any time I tap? Even on most chokes most of the time you can get out some sort of sputtered exclamation and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I do when I get heel hooked. Better for the gym to hear me than get my knee blown out.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I always verbal tap.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I always verbal tap.

Same here, even louder with heel hooks, knee bars, etc

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm 6'3 and ~175lbs. Any suggestions on gis for the tall and skinny? Its been ages since I bought one, and I'm now in a small town where its hard to try them on in a store.

e: for shipping to Canada, I should mention

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 16, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I'm 6'3 and ~175lbs. Any suggestions on gis for the tall and skinny? Its been ages since I bought one, and I'm now in a small town where its hard to try them on in a store.

Maybe an A3S or A3L (depending on your arm length)? I know Hyperfly sells these. If your arms are little longer than your body they sell a Gi that will fit well. I know a couple of people in my gym that have this situation.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns, your friend owns Optimal Human right? They just followed me on Instagram, kinda random.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JaySB posted:

Yuns, your friend owns Optimal Human right? They just followed me on Instagram, kinda random.
Yup, my buddy Frank owns it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Drewjitsu posted:

I do when I get heel hooked. Better for the gym to hear me than get my knee blown out.

One of the death squad guys (I think?) made a heel hooks basics video and he mentioned you should tap verbally before releasing a grip or defense, so the guy doesn't suddenly torque anything with zero resistance.

Was a good point.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Won a small tournament at our gym today. 3 matches out of which 2 won by submission and 1 by points. Got handed a blue belt at the podium. Feels pretty good.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mursupitsku posted:

Won a small tournament at our gym today. 3 matches out of which 2 won by submission and 1 by points. Got handed a blue belt at the podium. Feels pretty good.

Pics of it wrapped around your head or it didn’t happen

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mursupitsku posted:

What a great way to get a belt, congratulations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Count Roland posted:

Don't forget you can get your gi's tailored.

If you get one slightly bigger/longer someone can take the army/legs in for you. A guy at my gym even got the sides taken in so his would fit tighter.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Don't forget you can get your gi's tailored.

any experience doing this w pants? I got my first noon-Origin gi in forever and a2 waists fit me way too bigly

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

any experience doing this w pants? I got my first noon-Origin gi in forever and a2 waists fit me way too bigly

Just mix and match pants. I have a couple pair of origin pants that I just rotate between whichever one is clean with whatever gi top and donated the pants that came with my non origin tops to goodwill. My gym is cool with mismatched colors so ymmv.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

I don't know how they do it. There's a sewing shop a few streets over from our gym and it's where everyone get's their stuff done.

I assume the guy running the place knows about gi's because he does them a lot. See if your coach has an alterations shop that they use. Or maybe it's stuff that any seamstress can do. Sorry I'm not very helpful.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Love a miss matched ensemble.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Only times I don’t mismatch are on accident or if I’m visiting another school.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mursupitsku posted:

congarts

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Love a miss matched ensemble.

Blue top, white pants is the best look for anyone with a color belt imo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Blue top, white pants is the best look for anyone with a color belt imo.

A bunch of dudes do this regularly at my gym

I should get one of this pink gis and mix with my black pants and go Bret hart on a mother fucker

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Black n grey is my jam

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

White.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If it ain't, it ain't right.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mursupitsku posted:

Congrats!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

If it ain't, it ain't right.

Honestly, the two reasons I prefer white are 1) it's typically 15% cheaper than coloured gis, and 2) blood is more visible on it. Blood being more visible isn't just a :black101: thing - the sooner we see that someone's leaking the less cleaning we have to do.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Blood stains are all well and good, but a white gi that turns greyish or yellowish in places doesn't look great,

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smart guys wear brown gis.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Someone posted a link to Century selling Men's A3 and A4 gis for like 15 bucks a pop right when I started training, so I bought 4 of those. If I ever feel confident enough to compete I will have to look into something that is lighter, but I'm not going to complain about getting 4 gis for like 90 bucks combined.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

yellowish in places doesn't look great,

I think that's inevitable even if you wash right away. The collar around my white gi has turned a very slight yellowish collar. Nowhere else just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

What are your guys's favorite Judo setups? I would love to hear some osoto gari and harai goshi setups as those are the two I am working on the most :)