Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spb posted:

What's everyone's favorite submission? IE, if you were on a desert island this is the submission you would bring with you.

Kesa Gatame while being fat.

I wonder if I'll be able to tap people in kesa anymore with my weight loss. I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darce for me. Though I'd rather be better at RNCs-- I can get people's backs but they're all too good at defending the choke.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Darce for me. Though I'd rather be better at RNCs-- I can get people's backs but they're all too good at defending the choke.

If it came to getting dirty about it, I bet you could get to the neck. There are all kinds of ways to open it up.

Nestharken posted:

It's legal AFAIK, but pulling on a loose end tends to untie the belt pretty quickly even if it's securely tied. It's fine to go for if it's available, but I wouldn't make it a core part of your game.

It is a great force multiplier if you wrap it behind their leg and stand up into a single, though.

Thats what I thought, Thanks for confirming.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Quick question for you guys: Is a belt grab used like a lapel grab (think worm guard) IBJJF legal in tournaments? I know you can grab the belt in the back or from like knee on belly. Wondering if you can do the same thing with the loose end of the belt? Is that allowed in IBJJF competition?

My judo coach put it this way: if you're going for the belt or fancy grips, commit to the throw.
If you don't grab anything that'll DQ you, you'll be fine. A lot of the judging/scoring is based off of initiative and momentum iirc.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
... This was probably known to many others before, but I just found out when he was young John Danaher was accepted to Columbia University to do a PhD in philosophy. His discovery of rashguards saved him from that life.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

He mentions it at every possible opportunity

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He mentions it at every possible opportunity

Ah, my ignorance. The only stuff I've watched of his has been a few instructional videos so I was unaware.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

He has a Masters in philosophy.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He also likes knives and, uh, Nazis

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

spb posted:

What's everyone's favorite submission? IE, if you were on a desert island this is the submission you would bring with you.

Arm triangle. It’s my favorite because it feels so good and yet gentle, it feels like I just hugged someone into tapping. Learning how to do arm triangles properly (thank you Ryan Hall) so they are blood chokes was a big inflection point in my grappling

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I think Danahers Master's thesis on the ethics of sex dolls is floating out there on the internet in case anybody is curios

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Eustace posted:

I think Danahers Master's thesis on the ethics of sex dolls is floating out there on the internet in case anybody is curios

https://www.amazon.com/Robot-Sex-So...98556834&sr=8-1

Different guy

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's such a weirdo

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
My desert island vote is the leg triangle. I occasionally get those bodhisattva moments stretching out and getting the sub.

I gotta take a couple rest days from the KB. The added weight + hiking pulled some kind of foot muscle. The motion for the turkish is good but you need that laser focus to prevent injury.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if i'm on bottom, i'm trying to get half guard and grabbing a kimura lock. then i do my poor imitation of lachlan giles and if the guy is bad he's going to tap out. if he's equally skilled he'll tap or i'm definitely going to be on top at the very least. if he's better then me i'm not even in my favourite position and even if i was i'm not going to achieve anything.

on top it's arm triangle. i have no idea why, but it just seems to present itself most often. nah that's a lie it's because i suck and my confidence in other attacks are rock bottom.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ezekiels for days. From top, from bottom, from side control, from halfguard, from the back, from neon belly. It's incredibly versatile.

Just learn 1 technique and apply it from every angle and position!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

if i'm on bottom, i'm trying to get half guard and grabbing a kimura lock.

I love this but I don’t think you should use it as your plan A? The underhook sweep series is a stronger first move and then you can switch to the kimura to capitalize on their mistakes. The kimura opportunity definitely pops up a lot but I’ll only attack it when the right conditions are met.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

spb posted:

Slow torment from scarf hold.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Arm triangle. It’s my favorite because it feels so good and yet gentle, it feels like I just hugged someone into tapping. Learning how to do arm triangles properly (thank you Ryan Hall) so they are blood chokes was a big inflection point in my grappling

I picked up Neil Melanson's arm triangle dvd, its pretty brutal.

Edit: My desert island submission would be kimura/americana. I think it;s such a versatile, powerful thing. I used to think it was a muscle guy move, but it isn't when you apply proper leverage.

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 28, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love this but I don’t think you should use it as your plan A? The underhook sweep series is a stronger first move and then you can switch to the kimura to capitalize on their mistakes. The kimura opportunity definitely pops up a lot but I’ll only attack it when the right conditions are met.

i completely suck, but i'm stoked to get advice. is their a video you could recommend for the underhook sweep series before i just google it and click whatever?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

ok yeah i should check out hall's (ugh) advice on this, because a fair few of my taps are more neck cranks then blood chokes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

spb posted:

I used to think it was a muscle guy move, but it isn't when you apply proper leverage.

yeah giles is amazing at describing this. he's a tiny dude but the kimura lock is loving strong in amateur's hands and nearly unbreakable when someone knows what they're doing, and when he starts talking about putting your feet on the dude's hips and using your entire body yeah you are completely hosed.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Collar chokes in the gi, especially loop chokes. No-gi... I dunno, maybe guillotines? They finally clicked for me about a year ago and they've been one of my most successful moves on upper belts since then.

My answer last year woulda been toeholds, but after obliterating a couple dude's ankles at a tournament and having them come back to win anyway, my opinion now is pretty much that joint locks are either for goofing around if you're training or scaring people enough to open up chokes when there's really something on the line.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Marching Powder posted:

i completely suck, but i'm stoked to get advice. is their a video you could recommend for the underhook sweep series before i just google it and click whatever?

Step 1: Get underhook
Step 2: Push them over
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit
Step 5: If they take the overhook on your arm, take them back the other way

If you use kimuras that are poorly set up from half guard, someone with a little knowledge on top will just kimura you back, but with more leverage. It shouldn't be your plan A most of the time because you won't have the angle/leverage most of the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd still use kimuras on one-submission island but I'd use them to take the back before I chin lock someone. I decided that I'm not going RNC - I'm going chin lock.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

There used to be a lachlan giles seminar you could buy on it that cost like $15, but it looks like he stopped selling it when he released the Half Guard Anthology. On that set, it’s covered on discs 3 and 4. In Danaher’s Go Further Faster: Half Guard it’s discs 4, 5 and 6, Danaher calls it the ‘Tight Waist’ series.

While it wasn’t strictly invented by Lucas Leite he introduced a few details that really revolutionized it, he calls it the Coyote sweep. Some people refer to it as the Lucas Leite sweep.

Basically you start with a knee shield, you use the knee shield to open up enough space that you can sit up to an underhook and start smashing them over, like a single leg on the ground. When they resist that they become vulnerable to a rollunder sweep, and when they resist the rollunder sweep they become vulnerable to a backtake. It’s really effective but there are lots of niggling little details that make it work so you want to find a good source on it.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

yeah giles is amazing at describing this. he's a tiny dude but the kimura lock is loving strong in amateur's hands and nearly unbreakable when someone knows what they're doing, and when he starts talking about putting your feet on the dude's hips and using your entire body yeah you are completely hosed.

oh I didn't know giles talks about it. Is it on his youtube channel? Or a dvd?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

spb posted:

about 100k of these views is me. he used it in competition to tap rani yahya which is impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLQBxG1ojo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There used to be a lachlan giles seminar you could buy on it that cost like $15, but it looks like he stopped selling it when he released the Half Guard Anthology. On that set, it’s covered on discs 3 and 4. In Danaher’s Go Further Faster: Half Guard it’s discs 4, 5 and 6, Danaher calls it the ‘Tight Waist’ series.

While it wasn’t strictly invented by Lucas Leite he introduced a few details that really revolutionized it, he calls it the Coyote sweep. Some people refer to it as the Lucas Leite sweep.

Basically you start with a knee shield, you use the knee shield to open up enough space that you can sit up to an underhook and start smashing them over, like a single leg on the ground. When they resist that they become vulnerable to a rollunder sweep, and when they resist the rollunder sweep they become vulnerable to a backtake. It’s really effective but there are lots of niggling little details that make it work so you want to find a good source on it.

outstanding thanks brother

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

I would really highly recommend the Giles half guard DVD. It's way more watchable than the Danaher stuff, and there's probably going to be some 30-40% off Labor Day sale on BJJ fanatics so you could snag it for $50. Of all the dvds in my collection that one is (was :weeps:) the most frequently referenced.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is a much better way of describing the thing I was trying to describe.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Officially canceled my membership at my gym today :emo:

Living in America, old parents nearby and a pregnant wife, I don’t see a path back to grappling anytime in the next year. Maybe some miraculous vaccine breakthrough will happen and I will join up again or become a creonte and check out another academy in the area, the one I have belonged to isn’t really taking any covid precautions

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Living in America, old parents nearby and a pregnant wife, I don’t see a path back to grappling anytime in the next year. Maybe some miraculous vaccine breakthrough will happen and I will join up again or become a creonte and check out another academy in the area, the one I have belonged to isn’t really taking any covid precautions

Welcome to the club. I don't care if other gyms have been doing the same poo poo but I'm done forever with the gym I've trained my entire bjj career at because of the dumb stuff they've been up to the last couple months.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm happy that my gym is still being cool and above board, though they might just be hiding it from me and have a whole other chat going because they know that I'm serious about Covid precautions.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

:smith::respek::cry:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I cancelled mine recently too :(

The drugs I'm on make me technically immunocompromised, so I am out until there is a vaccine or perhaps there is more research into covid19+biologics.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I had kept my membership going even though the school has had no classes since March. Then in July the owner froze all payments without notification, with the reasoning that it'd been two and a half months of being closed with no end in sight and he was concerned about significant backlog of free months or privates or whatever he was going to provide for those who had chose to kept things going. But there's no real end in sight so I'm pretty sure the school as a business will fold. The owner is local so I'm guessing in 1-2 years we'll be putting down puzzle mats every morning in some warehouse space with whoever is still left in the neighborhood from the crew but man this is soul crushing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same friends, kept the membership going a few months into the pandemic, just to support the gym, but when I started to see the looming economic downturn, I had to cancel it. Feels bad, but I'm committed to putting it on hold until 2021 or, as seems increasingly likely, maybe even 2022.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I also canceled. Unfortunately only got in 6-months as a newbie before COVID hit. I kept the membership going for a few months to support the gym and I also thought things would be better by this Fall. At my age and mediocre level of athleticism I've decided that slow and steady wins the race. With all things physical I have to remind myself that I still want to be running/weightlifting/BJJing when I'm in my 50s so the current focus is to not be stupid in my 30s and permanently incapacitate myself due to acting like I'm still in my 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Came to find out that more people in my gym had the same symptoms (malaise, constant coughing, throat issues, sore throat) that I had mid april and also probably had covid. And for a few people, they were showing symptoms in Jan and Feb. And they are all still suffering from a weird cough (not debilitating in any way though) every so often. Im basically healed up completely from that. Covid was probably more common and widespread than we think.

My gym is basically back to full time business. Masks when you come in, showers and water fountains off, but business as normal on the mat. Our mat space basically opens up to an alley in the back of the building and there is a ton of ventilation, I think thats how hes able to stay open. Also, the number of cases where I live have basically fallen off the charts. Its such a weird disparity in this state (CA) from county to county.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

My judo coach put it this way: if you're going for the belt or fancy grips, commit to the throw.
If you don't grab anything that'll DQ you, you'll be fine. A lot of the judging/scoring is based off of initiative and momentum iirc.

Yeah if I remember correctly, the Judo competitions are a little more harsh on stalling. I would expect belts to be grabbed in Judo, but in Jiu Jitsu, particularly using it as a lapel in worm guard scenarios, I really wasn't sure if it was legal or not.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 28, 2020