Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

On the bright side, there are at least two promising vaccines that are effective and easy to mass produce, and they just have to make it through phase 3 trials and prove that they don’t have bad side effects. So there *will* be a vaccine and the whole thing *will* end at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

On the bright side, there are at least two promising vaccines that are effective and easy to mass produce, and they just have to make it through phase 3 trials and prove that they don’t have bad side effects. So there *will* be a vaccine and the whole thing *will* end at some point.

You cant post positive thoughts on this forum. What the hell is wrong with you?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Post the source of the vaccine info please

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm thinking of signing up for a new gym now lol

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ICHIBAHN posted:

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/the-covid19-live-vaccine-tracker

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

The two that the australian media are currently excited about are the oxford/astrazenica one and the university of queensland one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-27/oxford-uq-australia-coronavirus-vaccine-differences/12597366

In both cases they were already part-way through developing vaccines for a sars/mers style virus and when covid-19 appeared they started adapting it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Well my gym announced they will be unable to open and the next nearest one is twenty miles, which I’m not doing. I’ll be moving next year though so I’ll be able to start training again eventually

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

My Judo Club is still waiting on the university to approve our plan of training withing 2-4 people bubbles. We are trying to combine our efforts with the University's Wrestling teams as they are getting the same shaft we are getting. The University currently expect us to just do workouts together while social distancing and no close contact. If they accept our plan, then I can expect a return to the mats in November. If it is rejected, January 2021 is the earliest they will hear a new proposal. It's just frustrating to see other clubs starting up again following Judo Canada' guidelines and we are at the whim of a University Sports Board because we use university space.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

And for those in the US itll just cost a measly $400 per shot!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tonight I helped take down the mats and wall pads of my gym. I don’t know the details but the owner of the gym couldn’t make things work with the landlord. And so the iteration of the gym where I have spent 500 hours of my life is dead.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry to hear. I think my gym may be forced to move soon as well.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That sucks, dolences

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm living in paradise compared to you guys, my gym has been running full blast for the last 2 months or so. Sorry grappling goons, hope it gets better around the world soon.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

I'm living in paradise compared to you guys, my gym has been running full blast for the last 2 months or so. Sorry grappling goons, hope it gets better around the world soon.

Same here. Makes me feel bad for you guys. All I can say is dont let this stop the discipline for training. Find another place and keep training. If it means setting up mats in your garage or somewhere else, getting DVDs and a group of guys together and train thats what you got to do. Ive been following Robert Degle (Danahers students) and it seems like thats what he did in a house in the living room :)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

starkebn posted:

My gym too is running largely as normal, though with a max of 10 students per class.

We're also moving, but to a bigger location. Pre-covid we had more people than we could fit. The gym has a significant war chest which easily saw it through a few months of lockdown, plus a lot of equipment had already been purchased.

Our instructors are super dedicated, plus we've got a really solid community of people here; it's heartening to see things go well when it's so terrible elsewhere.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Garry Tonon seminar this weekend here in norcal. We're supposed to be shut down and all that but they're telling people to bring a mask and quarantine partner. Wonder if the rona will be worth it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My gym actually just opened within the last couple of months, is thriving, and will survive a couple more lockdowns if they have to. But I think the city that starkebn and I live in will probably hold out until the vaccine arrives.

The timing worked out surprisingly well because we gained members that felt dissatisfied with the way that other gyms had treated them during the lockdown, and we’ll gain members from a couple of other gyms nearby that are on the brink of collapse.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Went to the Tonon seminar. Didn't think it was worth the $125 really. Most of the time he spent on controlling and finishing from the back, which was mostly straight from Danaher's instructional, then transitioning from the back to front headlock which I thought was interesting, a bit on controlling the front headlock which was good, then finishing an outside heel hook which again was right out of Danaher's instructional.

If I hadn't of already watched a good amount of Danaher's stuff I probably would have enjoyed it more but it mostly felt like Danaher but with a less effective teaching style.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I loving miss jujitsu. Watched a video of a dude pulling a slick leg triangle and now the bug is back, hard.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A leg triangle?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Triangle choke from closed guard, sorry. Its something I have never gotten close to making work during a roll, so seeing somebody that actually knows what they're doing is always amazing to me.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ah cool, yeah they are nice subs to hit (I imagine lol)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

It’s been exactly 6 months since I trained (8 March. Ib my last act on the mats I tapped out the gyms’ “never taps” guy with a triangle from open gward. Love the setup from feet on the hips as I find it way easier to get there than to full closed guard.

https://youtu.be/6qLtOjlEu7M

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triangles are weird for me. I don't think I've ever gone "I'm going to try to set up a triangle" and gotten it except on maybe like a white belt, but the majority of my competition submission wins are from triangles because I'm good at finding them in scrambles and I have big chonky legs and I've practice good finishing technique.

e. my last roll was March 13 and I can't remember what happened. I'm not going to count the time in early June when we had zero local cases and at kickboxing I caught a guy's teep and put him into a toe hold.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've started to hit triangles again after a long drought. My finishing mechanics are good, but my setups were non-existent and everybody watches out for triangles above newish white belts. Lately I haven't really changed much, just have focused on keeping uke's posture broken while I work my legs around the arms. Caught a purple the other day.

There's a brown that baits my triangle and then stacks his way out of it. It's a near thing though-- I feel with a slight adjustment on my part I'll get the tap.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I don't think I've ever hit a triangle from closed guard. It just so easy to telegraph for me.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

I don't think I've ever hit a triangle from closed guard. It just so easy to telegraph for me.

I hit them quite often, the hard part is finishing from the trap triangle. Ive been criticized in my gym because i cut the angle to finish. Ill admit that I have some problems finishing on bigger dudes which fight it effectively when I change the angle for my finish, but what Im learning is that there are many other options from the trap, IE sweeps, armbars, leg entries. This is all kind of central to Ryans closed guard series which I have heavily used as part of my game and works really well in the Gi.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I hit them quite often, the hard part is finishing from the trap triangle. Ive been criticized in my gym because i cut the angle to finish. Ill admit that I have some problems finishing on bigger dudes which fight it effectively when I change the angle for my finish, but what Im learning is that there are many other options from the trap, IE sweeps, armbars, leg entries. This is all kind of central to Ryans closed guard series which I have heavily used as part of my game and works really well in the Gi.

You're criticized for cutting the angle, meaning, you shift so you're perpendicular to uke when you finish? What's wrong with this?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have good entries and good finishes for triangles but I’m constantly loving up the control aspects in between. One problem I’m trying to fix right now, I hit the side of the head a bit too hard and bowl them over sideways a little bit, and if they’re good it nudges them straight into the stacking pass. So I’m really focusing on keeping the over-the-top leg straight, keeping my hips up, and dumping heaps of weight through that top leg to immobilize them while I work towards closing the trap up safely. I’ve identified the problem but it’ll take me a few months to stop making that error.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Yeah, angling to get your sub is totally normal behavior. If we muscled all the subs we'd have trouble coming back the next day.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've watched a couple videos and feel pretty confident I'll be able to hit them effortlessly if I ever get to do bjj again.

Edit- put in a few reps mentally drilling tonight in bed. If that poo poo is on the blackbelt exam might as well check it off now.

ihop fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 9, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My wife took a Feldenkrais Method class online this week, which reminded me I own a copy of Higher Judo. I hadn't looked at it in years. There's some stuff in there that's absolutely bonkers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

My wife took a Feldenkrais Method class online this week, which reminded me I own a copy of Higher Judo. I hadn't looked at it in years. There's some stuff in there that's absolutely bonkers.

Bonkers in a good way? I have the Amazon page for that book open in another tab by coincidence, having come across it somehow. Been a while since I read a martial arts book, was wondering if I should seek it out.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Bonkers in a good way? I have the Amazon page for that book open in another tab by coincidence, having come across it somehow. Been a while since I read a martial arts book, was wondering if I should seek it out.

A lot of it is just fairly standard to be honest, but like 1 in every 50 pictures I'm just like "wait what the gently caress is this." For instance:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hellblazer187 posted:

A lot of it is just fairly standard to be honest, but like 1 in every 50 pictures I'm just like "wait what the gently caress is this." For instance:

a reminder that reaching orgasm is an automatic DQ

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I felt really fatigued and sloppy at class tonight, so of course I got called out by all the black belts and brown belts to roll.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

If you've done a lot of Greco-Roman and are already capable with 4 or 5 point variations of the reverse belt it might be workable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

I felt really fatigued and sloppy at class tonight, so of course I got called out by all the black belts and brown belts to roll.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

starkebn posted:

eyyyyy congrats