Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Pre-covid that was 100% my plan against upper belts.
Edit: grab a foot in a menacing manner I mean.

I lump the gimmicky stuff into the category of "works once on everybody, twice on nobody" and I think they're good to know, if only to avoid ending up on someone else's highlight reel, but it sucks to see someone dive too deep into one of those techniques at the expense of actually getting better at grappling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ihop posted:

gimmicky stuff into the category of "works once on everybody, twice on nobody"

My entire game is dummy sweeps, ezekiel chokes, and log roll from turtle position.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

My entire game is dummy sweeps, ezekiel chokes, and log roll from turtle position.

Stop posting my secret strategy. I also do arm bars, but only when they have my back.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I used to bridge into guys when they had the body triangle on me, getting a footlock. Also a triangle from bottom side.

Now that I'm a purple belt mostly rolling with blue belts these don't seem to work anymore...

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Cannot wait to be laid on by an exhausted, fat white belt in about a month or so.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

I used to bridge into guys when they had the body triangle on me, getting a footlock. Also a triangle from bottom side.

Now that I'm a purple belt mostly rolling with blue belts these don't seem to work anymore...

I enjoy standing/posting with both feet on my opponent's ankle when I'm getting body triangled.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Stop posting my secret strategy. I also do arm bars, but only when they have my back.

Honestly, there's pretty much nothing that could possibly be more fun than hitting a dummy sweep on some muscular MMA guy who really wanted to play stand up and do a double leg or whatever.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
are there any good videos/tips on how to deal with your opponent sitting to guard as you have them in a front headlock and are trying to go behind and take the back? My quarantine partner is like a foot shorter than me and has a very flexible spine apparently and every time I get him in turtle/front headlock, as I go behind, he flops on his far hip and pulls a half/full guard, maybe if I am super aggressive I can get side control but even that is a partial failure as I'd always like to take the back when my opponent goes to turtle. I know controlling the far shoulder helps in sticking to them as they roll/flop to guard but I cant get an inside wrist tie or power half sorta situation fast enough before he's sitting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pron on VHS posted:

are there any good videos/tips on how to deal with your opponent sitting to guard as you have them in a front headlock and are trying to go behind and take the back? My quarantine partner is like a foot shorter than me and has a very flexible spine apparently and every time I get him in turtle/front headlock, as I go behind, he flops on his far hip and pulls a half/full guard, maybe if I am super aggressive I can get side control but even that is a partial failure as I'd always like to take the back when my opponent goes to turtle. I know controlling the far shoulder helps in sticking to them as they roll/flop to guard but I cant get an inside wrist tie or power half sorta situation fast enough before he's sitting.

Chinlock so he can't turn that way

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also sprawl harder and threaten front chokes so it's not as obvious when and how you're going to spin to the back

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
awesome tips. I never chinlock usually because I love the Schultz/anaconda choke setup, and I do feel like I should be pressuring his forehead right into the mat better.

edit: is there any danger of hurting my partner's neck if I keep the chinstap too long as I go behind? Sounds like a terrible neck crank

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

HamsterPolice posted:

Cannot wait to be laid on by an exhausted, fat white belt in about a month or so.

:yossame:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

edit: is there any danger of hurting my partner's neck if I keep the chinstap too long as I go behind? Sounds like a terrible neck crank

tap's a tap bro

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Last night I had a black belt in an arm bar and he was doing a deep elbow defense; like a dog who sees a squirrel I started working a bicep slicer. While I was distracting myself with the bicep slicer he got his feet underneath him and he cleared his elbow. Had I just focused on maintaining the spider web control I would have gotten that arm bar. I know this because I've finished arm bars on him before, and I'm actually quite good at winning that fight when I focus on it. After the round I said aloud "stupid bicep slicers need the most attention." It was my lesson of the night and it applies to this discussion because it applies to any submission - ezekiel chokes, wrist locks, etc.

For 99% of people, and in 99% of cases you're better off going after the high percentage attack, because the low percentage attack depends on your opponent's deficiencies rather than on your strengths. And then the mental focus that you put into trying to finish something like an ezekiel choke is just going to cause you to lose the battles that matter.

For my own part of my current development as a grappler I'm trying to stop going for any submission that I haven't seen work in a high ranked MMA fight or grappling match. You don't need to practice moves that only work on people who suck, becuase if someone sucks you should be able to beat them with any move that you want.

On the other hand, if it's just practice and not a competition, and I know the high percentage move will work, I don't need to prove it every time. I'll start looking for alternatives to expand my game. The high and low percentages aren't all universal rules of technique. Sometimes it's a tradeoff between equally legit moves but you're just better at one of them.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Pron on VHS posted:

Just modulate it based on your partner's size, experience level, etc. if you're worried. The stuff I do with a chinstrap to the scrappy wrestler in his mid-20s would probably kill the skinny guy pushing 50 with a plate in his neck.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think you need to block the hip and swim your way back there if he's able to sit into guard.

You might be disconnecting a little too. A good drill is you spin behind while keeping as much weight on as possible while he sits to guard. You're looking for him to sort of collapse under you because his structure can't keep your weight and complete that movement. Don't worry about back or side or whatever, just focus on him not completing the movement.

The simple reps help you get that feedback loop and understand what your pressure is. Once you're good there, he can start adding some spice with sit outs or granby rolls or whatever. Then you're both having some fun and it's a good drill.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was delayed by a year for some reason. Met my goal of black/purple before turning 40

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Was delayed by a year for some reason. Met my goal of black/purple before turning 40

:mummyface: Congrats! :mummyface:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

:mummyface: Goongrats :mummyface:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CommonShore posted:

Good poo poo, congratulations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CommonShore posted:

:mummyface: congrats!!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I find that moves like that can sometimes leave you unacceptably vulnerable to counters? Like, there’s an easy armbar from the bottom if somebody tries the can opener while they’re in closed guard. And if there isn’t a counter, it can usually just be shut down by pushing their hips away.

I’m a big fan of grabbing someone’s foot in a threatening manner when I have no intention of doing anything with it, though. Wait until your guard pass is blocked, pretend you have a plan, then go back to what you were doing while they panic and move their foot out of the way. Won’t work on black belts but it doesn’t cost you anything either.

release the sagk rash guard two sizes bigger than when I first asked in preparation for my glorious fat return to the sport of submission grappling

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

CommonShore posted:

congrats!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

CommonShore posted:

whoop. You're a killer!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yay

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Purple mummy! Good work!

Pron on VHS posted:

are there any good videos/tips on how to deal with your opponent sitting to guard as you have them in a front headlock and are trying to go behind and take the back?

I've been watching Danaher's front headlock series and he has some good preemptive gripping to avoid a lot of this behavior. He goes over getting uke's chinstrap and opposite elbow before lining up your sub as well as a few escape plans to other controlling positions. It's nothing exhaustive but he throws in some good ideas.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Congrats!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks all. I weirdly had very little emotional reaction to the purple belt. I think I was 2.5 years at blue (no stripes) before covid (my instructor says that he had been planning to promote me and the other two guys who got purples right as the lockdowns started to hit) so when he called me up I was like "yep, there it is; anyway time to get back to the mats."

:mummyface:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Congrats dude, that's a big one

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah it is, way to go.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

:mummyface:!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grats bud!

Be getting my 2nd shot Thursday and probably go back to class the following week depending how I react to the shot. Dreading it a bit since I'm beyond out of shape but so need to get back to it. Ove a full year since I was on the mats last

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jitsu-officially-announced-as-an-event-for-the-2024-olympics/amp/

This was an April fools joke, yeah?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

very. Read the paragraph about open handed strikes and front kicks. Also the one about worshiping the Gracies.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Emil is a notorious troll. You can assume anything he writes is, if not outright satirical, at least intended to annoy someone (especially traditionalists).

CommonShore posted:

Congrats! As others have mentioned, purple is a lot of fun.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Have any readers of this thread made custom patches for their gis?

While I'm not artist I'm toying with the idea, of making say 50 for our morning class. A quick look around the internet shows no shortage of companies that manufacture patches. I'm wondering if there's certain types or design principals that should be followed for BJJ. Like, maybe some of these methods use dyes that will come off with sweat, for example. Wondering if anyone has any experience in the matter.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've done a few.

There are two types of patches. There are the ones where they've printed a design on a flat material and then they've put a merrowed border on it (the little raised bit that you stitch through), and there are the ones where the image itself is embroidered instead of printed (and also has the merrowed border). The ones where they've printed on a flat material and then just added a border to it, are probably easier/cheaper and there's no limitations on the design, but the printed image will probably fade a bit over time from both sun and from friction. The ones where the entire image is stitched will last longer and not discolour over time, but you've got to design with embroidery in mind - thick shapes, limited colours, can't have any lines that are too thin.

It's a good idea to get patches made that have an iron-on material on the back, even when the goal is to stitch them to the gi. It means you can iron it in place while you stitch, which is a bit easier than pinning it while you stitch. It'll cost a little more though. The best patches I've seen were made in china (probably shenzen): perfect embroidery, they arrive completely flat, iron-on material on the back, great price. You'll want to get a proof sent to you first before you print them all, obviously.

You can probably get them done locally too, might be easier if you're only getting a small run made, but I found that the patches I got made in Australia tended to be more expensive and lower quality.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've done a few.

There are two types of patches. There are the ones where they've printed a design on a flat material and then they've put a merrowed border on it (the little raised bit that you stitch through), and there are the ones where the image itself is embroidered instead of printed (and also has the merrowed border). The ones where they've printed on a flat material and then just added a border to it, are probably easier/cheaper and there's no limitations on the design, but the printed image will probably fade a bit over time from both sun and from friction. The ones where the entire image is stitched will last longer and not discolour over time, but you've got to design with embroidery in mind - thick shapes, limited colours, can't have any lines that are too thin.

It's a good idea to get patches made that have an iron-on material on the back, even when the goal is to stitch them to the gi. It means you can iron it in place while you stitch, which is a bit easier than pinning it while you stitch. It'll cost a little more though. The best patches I've seen were made in china (probably shenzen): perfect embroidery, they arrive completely flat, iron-on material on the back, great price. You'll want to get a proof sent to you first before you print them all, obviously.

You can probably get them done locally too, might be easier if you're only getting a small run made, but I found that the patches I got made in Australia tended to be more expensive and lower quality.

Very helpful, thanks a bunch.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I've got two patches from numbers goon and they've held up nicely. South American ground karate is the one people like the most but reap knees for satan is clearly the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Obligatory let me buy the rash guards/spats/no gi gear!