Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Free takedown course over on Fanatics Wrestling:

https://fanaticwrestling.com/products/the-ultimate-takedown-course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

How many fanatics sites are there? I'm aware of bjj and pickleball :wtc:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I don't understand the V-mount -> side control. If I have V-mount, why not go directly to mount?

I worked this out today while we were doing some bodylock passing stuff in class today. You can be swept for an instant while you're setting the V-mount up, so instead of possibly getting swept to the left and your back touching the floor, you pass to the left with your chest to the floor, to kind of, intercept the momentum of the sweep and turn it into something that helps you.

The sweep seemed way more plausible in the context of the pass we were doing (they still had an arm free to block one of your knees as it slides through, and they launched you to that side). It would probably be hard-but-not-impossible when the other guy has double underhooks.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Got my first submission today! He had a few inches and a few pounds on me, but it was his fourth class and it was my ~15th. He messed up and gave me access to his back, so I stuck my hooks in and slid my arm around his long neck unmolested. I didn’t have the best supporting grip with the non choking hand/arm, but i was able to keep squeezing and pulling up, which did the trick.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Got my first submission today! He had a few inches and a few pounds on me, but it was his fourth class and it was my ~15th. He messed up and gave me access to his back, so I stuck my hooks in and slid my arm around his long neck unmolested. I didn’t have the best supporting grip with the non choking hand/arm, but i was able to keep squeezing and pulling up, which did the trick.

Good job! Hopefully the first of a great many to come

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Head Bee Guy posted:

Awesome! When teaching the kids one guy here says:

"What do we call it if our opponent:

turns away from you in mount/places their hand on the mat in guard/puts one arm in and one arm out in guard?

That's right, a friendship gift! It would be rude to refuse it!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Nice! Capitalizing on mistakes is the easiest way to catch one :D

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Having a bad bjj week. We are doing a lot of closed guard work and everything works really well in drilling but I just can't seem to lock down any arms, get a good collar grip, or anything like that in sparing. I just don't get what i'm missing :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are you breaking down their posture with your clamped legs in addition to your hands?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Lol unlikely because I’m garbage at guard. (Mostly just wanted to complain , your advice is good and what I actually need)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Alas, my glorious grappling victory has come at great cost: i hurt my back. rather the spot directly on and under my bottom right rib hurts to the touch and when I stretch in certain ways (twisting, reaching, and especially in forearm plank). An old head at my gym said something about a floating rib, and that this is a fairly common injury in bjj. This sound familiar to anyone?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Alas, my glorious grappling victory has come at great cost: i hurt my back. rather the spot directly on and under my bottom right rib hurts to the touch and when I stretch in certain ways (twisting, reaching, and especially in forearm plank). An old head at my gym said something about a floating rib, and that this is a fairly common injury in bjj. This sound familiar to anyone?

Extremely. I would personally go see a doctor and get it xray'd just to make sure it's not gonna cause you any significant problems, but likely it's just gonna be 3-4 weeks of misery and taking it very light.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

What L0cke said. I've been there and it's just a poo poo sandwich for a couple weeks but do check with the doc.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Yup, my old coach likes to say that the only three certainties in BJJ (in the "death and taxes" sense) are cauliflower ear, ringworm, and rib injuries. There's not much you can do for it besides rest it for a few weeks, unfortunately.

The silver lining is that once you do return to training after it heals up, the best way to keep it safe and prevent reinjury is also good technique in general--don't let people put weight directly on your ribs, keep your T-rex frames in tight when you're on the bottom, get on your side ASAP, etc.

This is also a good opportunity to practice being picky about whom you roll with, which is a skill I wish I'd learned a lot earlier. If you aren't confident that someone can safely work around your injury, don't roll with them, period. Nothing sucks more than being 95% healed and then getting reinjured because someone was too uncontrolled or ego-driven and you were worried about hurting their feelings by turning them down for a roll. Whatever your gym culture happens to be like in general, your coach should understand the situation if you explain what's up.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

stramit posted:

Having a bad bjj week. We are doing a lot of closed guard work and everything works really well in drilling but I just can't seem to lock down any arms, get a good collar grip, or anything like that in sparing. I just don't get what i'm missing :(

Everyone has bad weeks. I yelled at a fresh blue belt and made a stupid scene about a week or so back about kneeing me in the face when Im in bottom half. Its intentional poo poo hes doing. I ended up having a discussion with my instructor, with which he responded:

"As the upper belt when you hurt him, its your fault, but when he hurts you..its ALSO your fault".

Get perspective on whatever is going wrong. It helps with addressing the issue within you, which is what this poo poo is 99% about. Also, remember that some of this stuff just takes time to learn. If you're still realtively new that feeling can take place all the time.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

Extremely. I would personally go see a doctor and get it xray'd just to make sure it's not gonna cause you any significant problems, but likely it's just gonna be 3-4 weeks of misery and taking it very light.

Weeks? shiiiiiiiit maybe i’ll try acupuncture

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Weeks? shiiiiiiiit maybe i’ll try acupuncture

Yep. If you're lucky it'll only be 2-3. But only if you stay off it and don't strain it. Coming back too soon after a rib injury will just put you out another month the first time you gently caress up before it's healed.

Wait til you get your first cartilage separation. That is the worst rib injury imo. Basically the connective tissue floats around a bit screaming in agony every time it wiggles. And cartilage is ridiculously slow to heal.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Did an interclub thing on Sunday that went way better than my first comp. Got a couple of takedowns (snapdown and a hip toss) and was basically in mount for the whole round. I completely blanked on attacks once I was there - just partially remembered a whole bunch of stuff (cross collar, bow and arrow, ezekiel, americana) but never got the finish. Progress feels good!(Shame one of my eyes got clipped during the boxing bout tho and now I'm getting around looking like a stupid Solidus Snake :smith:)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Yep. If you're lucky it'll only be 2-3. But only if you stay off it and don't strain it. Coming back too soon after a rib injury will just put you out another month the first time you gently caress up before it's healed.

Wait til you get your first cartilage separation. That is the worst rib injury imo. Basically the connective tissue floats around a bit screaming in agony every time it wiggles. And cartilage is ridiculously slow to heal.

Oh so when it healed you got "the bump" too? Mine now feels like an extension of my rib.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Oh so when it healed you got "the bump" too? Mine now feels like an extension of my rib.

My ribs healed fine, no bumps.

My fractured trachea though still has a weird lump where one of the little cartilage fingers didn't go back straight after betting busted.

That was like 10 weeks of healing time. At the time it was the most painful thing I'd ever experienced.

Now I know better though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

My fractured trachea though still has a weird lump where one of the little cartilage fingers didn't go back straight after betting busted.

That was like 10 weeks of healing time. At the time it was the most painful thing I'd ever experienced.

Now I know better though.

How did that happen? Guillotine?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

How did that happen? Guillotine?

White Belt Problems.

I was relatively inexperienced. They were too. They had me in an Ezekiel but it was too loose to actually choke me, so they basically slammed me into the mat and their whole body weight went into one of their wrists and it popped my throat out of whack.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
was in top side control last night and my rolling partner bridged really hard into me and popped a rib :( I feel really bad. I wasn't going hard at all (about 50% or so) and the control was pretty loose as he was a newer guy and I was giving him space to work. I feel really guilty even though I know I didn't do anything specifically wrong.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Last night I hit an armbar from open guard on 4 blue belts almost all back to back while playing "pass the guard". This particular armbar is fast and sneaky and relies on them attempting to grab my collar or anywhere above my waist when my foot is on their hip or has transitioned to their hip. How they didnt see it happen after lining up behind each other was kind of funny to me. I proceeded to let them know that reaching for a lapel between the legs from open guard is a bad idea generally (triangles/armbars) and what they needed to do to correct it.

L0cke17 posted:

White Belt Problems.

I was relatively inexperienced. They were too. They had me in an Ezekiel but it was too loose to actually choke me, so they basically slammed me into the mat and their whole body weight went into one of their wrists and it popped my throat out of whack.

Goddamn. Must have been hard to eat for a while.

I try to let the white belts know that its ok to not hit the move or to miss the move in sparring, that its better to not hurt their partner in training and then after, ask about details from professor or an upper belt.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Last night I hit an armbar from open guard on 4 blue belts almost all back to back while playing "pass the guard". This particular armbar is fast and sneaky and relies on them attempting to grab my collar or anywhere above my waist when my foot is on their hip or has transitioned to their hip. How they didnt see it happen after lining up behind each other was kind of funny to me. I proceeded to let them know that reaching for a lapel between the legs from open guard is a bad idea generally (triangles/armbars) and what they needed to do to correct it.

Speaking as another medicore blue belt, what if they had gathered up both lapels at your clavicle notch and anchored their fist there?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

whats for dinner posted:

Did an interclub thing on Sunday that went way better than my first comp. Got a couple of takedowns (snapdown and a hip toss) and was basically in mount for the whole round. I completely blanked on attacks once I was there - just partially remembered a whole bunch of stuff (cross collar, bow and arrow, ezekiel, americana) but never got the finish. Progress feels good!(Shame one of my eyes got clipped during the boxing bout tho and now I'm getting around looking like a stupid Solidus Snake :smith:)

Work on taking the back from mount, see how you could do it from there. The back is the easiet place to get submissions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Michael Transactions posted:

Work on taking the back from mount, see how you could do it from there. The back is the easiet place to get submissions.

I know everyone says this, but, unintuitively I've always though back and mount is the hardest place to grab submissions from as its the one place everyone gets reps defending and escapes from in a BJJ gym. By the time people hit blue they should have had proper back control defense posture and at least one or two back escape techniques drilled into them multiple times. On the flip side, catching submissions from Kesa-Getami/Scarfhold or top turtle is stupid easy, because for some reason BJJ gyms without a good no-gi program rarely teach anything about defending in bottom turtle besides curling up into a ball, which is stupid easy to crack open if you know what you're doing and kesa escape theory might be touched on, but rarely actually practiced.

Of course this doesn't apply at the highest of levels, but it's probably a meaningfully applicable to people who chat about bjj at somethingawful.com

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 20, 2022

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Goddamn. Must have been hard to eat for a while.

I try to let the white belts know that its ok to not hit the move or to miss the move in sparring, that its better to not hurt their partner in training and then after, ask about details from professor or an upper belt.

It was very unpleasant. My neck had about 10 degrees of rotation where it didn't hurt so I also couldn't turn my head for a bit.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

stramit posted:

was in top side control last night and my rolling partner bridged really hard into me and popped a rib :( I feel really bad. I wasn't going hard at all (about 50% or so) and the control was pretty loose as he was a newer guy and I was giving him space to work. I feel really guilty even though I know I didn't do anything specifically wrong.

drat, that's a new one. Always sucks when the other person gets injured during a roll even if it's not your fault. :-/ I tend to just squish really new people if they start grazing me with knees and elbows or whatever, but stories like this one make me think that it might be a good policy across the board for *their* own safety too.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking as another medicore blue belt, what if they had gathered up both lapels at your clavicle notch and anchored their fist there?

High guard double armbar. This is a funny coincidence 'cause I just took one of my blue belt buddies to a drop-in at my old gym a few days ago and he got caught in exactly this by one of my purple belt buddies at said gym. Renato Canuto shows it from closed guard here, but it should work exactly the same (if not even more easily) from open guard because the passer is probably not controlling either of the guard player's legs if they're reaching in with both arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AysaxvQaRio

The problem here (and, I assume, with the armbars TAP was catching) is that newer people have a tendency to put the cart before the horse when it comes to passing and focus too much on the guard player's upper body before they've really finished dealing with their lower body. Ryan Hall talks about it conceptually here (first three minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1NUdmaT54

And Keenan explains it more in terms of specific guards here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTaZzbHMr-s

But the short version is that if the guard player has a foot on your hip (or bicep or wherever), that's one of the most powerful weapons in their arsenal, and you need to figure out what you're gonna do about it before you start reaching for anything that far up their body. Then you need to deal with the knees, then the hips, etc.

Defenestrategy posted:

I know everyone says this, but, unintuitively I've always though back and mount is the hardest place to grab submissions from as its the one place everyone gets reps defending and escapes from in a BJJ gym. By the time people hit blue they should have had proper back control defense posture and at least one or two back escape techniques drilled into them multiple times. On the flip side, catching submissions from Kesa-Getami/Scarfhold or top turtle is stupid easy, because for some reason BJJ gyms without a good no-gi program rarely teach anything about defending in bottom turtle besides curling up into a ball, which is stupid easy to crack open if you know what you're doing and kesa escape theory might be touched on, but rarely actually practiced.

Of course this doesn't apply at the highest of levels, but it's probably a meaningfully applicable to people who chat about bjj at somethingawful.com

This has been my experience as well, especially with mount. I think the learning curve for "keep your back on the mat and hold the Home Alone pose as tightly as you can" is a lot more forgiving for a beginner than "threaten several different attacks sneakily and simultaneously".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

High guard double armbar. This is a funny coincidence

This is a double funny coincidence, because two weeks ago I felt I was being gas lighted about the existence of this attack by my coach and the rest of the universe because I couldn't find this attack through googling or asking around even though I distinctly remember being shown it somewhere early on as one of those dumb gotcha attack.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Dead Orchard is kind of a high guard double armbar, except you lock a two-arm-in triangle around your opponents shoulders

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Defenestrategy posted:

This is a double funny coincidence, because two weeks ago I felt I was being gas lighted about the existence of this attack by my coach and the rest of the universe because I couldn't find this attack through googling or asking around even though I distinctly remember being shown it somewhere early on as one of those dumb gotcha attack.

I've had it taught to me a couple times as a response to the can opener or the r-word choke.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

The problem here (and, I assume, with the armbars TAP was catching) is that newer people have a tendency to put the cart before the horse when it comes to passing and focus too much on the guard player's upper body before they've really finished dealing with their lower body. Ryan Hall talks about it conceptually here (first three minutes):

^^^This captures it pretty well. If the guard player has a foot on your hip and you go to grab his collar, belt, etc (above the waist), extending you out is rather easy. Dealing with the lower body first will present its own guard passing opportunities and from what Ive noticed so far in my training, more chances for you to escape something the guard player tries to set up. Especially if you are dealing with a guard like DLR.

I found this video that show this extremely quick armbar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yosc1-JDQsE&t=117s

Jack B Nimble posted:

Then balloon sweep is in order if we are talking about starting from that open guard position. Thats where my head is going first, but there is probably an opportunity to armbar there as well. Your posture is just as broken if not more.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 20, 2022

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Just in percentage terms, RNC is the number 1 submission in high level tournaments. So even if people have become better at defending it, it is still worth having a killer back game. But I agree front headlocks and side control subs are important too.

I get really mad at myself if I mount someone or take their back and then can't submit. There really is no excuse.

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 21, 2022

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Michael Transactions posted:

Watching the video back I can totally see how I missed a bunch of opportunities to take his back but was too fixated on getting the submission from mount. In my head I was telling myself that I know finishes from mount I just have to remember them...

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I have great difficulty getting subs from mount. I'll often switch from mount to knee on belly or head for side control/kesa so I can trap arms more easily. I'm a skinny long limbed white belt, though.

My back game is pretty good for where I am. I should start trying to get there from guard more often but I get fixated on omoplata and kimuras.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

I have great difficulty getting subs from mount. I'll often switch from mount to knee on belly or head for side control/kesa so I can trap arms more easily. I'm a skinny long limbed white belt, though.

My back game is pretty good for where I am. I should start trying to get there from guard more often but I get fixated on omoplata and kimuras.

My mount game used to suck, then we learned a triangle/armbar/omoplata sequence in class and spent 2 weeks just drilling those 3 things right before the plague hit and I finally started getting mount better.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

L0cke17 posted:

My mount game used to suck, then we learned a triangle/armbar/omoplata sequence in class and spent 2 weeks just drilling those 3 things right before the plague hit and I finally started getting mount better.

I should pull triangles more from the mount.

How do you get an omoplata from mount? Which way do you go? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

I should pull triangles more from the mount.

How do you get an omoplata from mount? Which way do you go? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

If you shoot for a triangle or armbar and gently caress up and they turn into you it's your fallback option if you can't stay mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Arm triangle is my current favorite and then armbar and then triangle.