Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

L0cke17 posted:

If you shoot for a triangle or armbar and gently caress up and they turn into you it's your fallback option if you can't stay mounted.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Michael Transactions posted:

Arm triangle is my current favorite and then armbar and then triangle.

This is the way. With taking the back as an option/threat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Last night makes one month of driving an hour to a Judo gym on the one day of the week my Jiu Jitsu club isn't open. After doing Jiu Jitsu for three or so years it's strange to be back to being an complete beginner. Like, I know a blue belt is also still a beginner, but it's something else to be back to a stage of "I am completely failing to do this move and I don't even have enough body awareness to know why. Am I not squatting down enough? Am I holding the arm wrong. Who knows!"

Well, I mean, the Senseis know, and they're very patient and I'm having a great time. My coach and her husband actually joined me the last two times and they basically plan to attend most Fridays, as often as they can, so that's going to be a major help in my goal of practicing these techniques as much as I can Mon - Thu, since I know only going to Judo once a week is going to lead to very, very slow progress.

I wish I could calm down during Randori; I mean I'm not at all scared they'll hurt me, they're super nice, but I'm back to my no stripe white belt phase of holding my breath and tensing random muscle groups for no reason; if Jiu Jitsu is anything to go by I'll just try to be mindful of it and it will stop on it's own, it actually already felt a little better last night.

Oh, hah, I got a laughing accusation of watching YouTube out of the brown belt I was training with. He got a typically unbreakable Judo grip with his right hand and, after I made a few pitiful attempts to cut the grip, I settled for using Shintaro Higashei's trick of rolling the shoulder to lower that side of my lapel. It works!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

I have great difficulty getting subs from mount. I'll often switch from mount to knee on belly or head for side control/kesa so I can trap arms more easily. I'm a skinny long limbed white belt, though.

Its funny. I thought my mount game was good until I got into a gym that taught some solid mount defense fundamentals and now I have re-learned how to catch subs from mount. What Ive learned is that a lot the subs can be caught off the defenses like switching to s-mount when they move their arm, catching the arm bar when they decided to bridge, etc

It just helps to be one step ahead in your thinking.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

It just helps to be one step ahead in your thinking.

This is just the #1 lesson to learn in all things in hugfighting.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

L0cke17 posted:

This is just the #1 lesson to learn in all things in hugfighting.

I'll get there one day :unsmith:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I had a weird experience today. Saturdays are usually our open mat days. We have several people training for worlds this coming weekend and I wanted to help them train for it so I came in (I usually don't try to do 6 days a week). Anyway half way through class we had a black belt who had never visited us before come in (rude situation #1). He wanted to find a place he could roll for an open mat. I ended up rolling with him, starting standing. He made it clear that he had some Judo background before he started and I'm like "cool, this should be fun then". I started with my normal Judo groups but after a bit switched to same side sleeve/collar. He stops me through our session and tells me not to use this grip because I could get my arm broken. I asked him how with the grips I had, and he has a difficult time trying to accomplish it (as a matter of fact its drat near impossible if I am controlling his sleeve). Now, I use that grip for 3 different throws which are a variation of throws I am somewhat used to with normal grips: Seoi Nage, Drop Seoi Nage and Tai Otoshi. I've used them all with some success (Im better with Tai Otoshi than the other two).

Here's the thing that bothers me: instead of asking what I'm trying to do with that grip, he went directly to stating that grip is wrong to begin with. In my head, I'm like "No..it isn't". I know he's a black belt so I'm not supposed to argue with him, but I got to be honest, I hate this poo poo. You drop into another persons gym, for free.. and then proceed to tell them what they are doing is wrong. To me its just loving rude.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Here's the thing that bothers me: instead of asking what I'm trying to do with that grip, he went directly to stating that grip is wrong to begin with.

Between seminars and my new Judo club I'm not exaggerating when I say I've had four instructors show me six ways to do grips, grip breaks, and basic turn throws. In fact, *every* thing I learn in judo has variations, to the point that last night we had a brown belt tell us to start our kuzushi by pulling uke's arm *down*, while the gyms owner was surprised that we were doing that during practice and "corrected" us.

I feel you though, it's awkward when it's a black belt.

Edit: I reread your post-was this black belt from your school system was it just ~some dude?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 22, 2022

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Between seminars and my new Judo club I'm not exaggerating when I say I've had four instructors show me six ways to do grips, grip breaks, and basic turn throws. In fact, *every* thing I learn in judo has variations, to the point that last night we had a brown belt tell us to start our kuzushi by pulling uke's arm *down*, while the gyms owner was surprised that we were doing that during practice and "corrected" us.

Edit: I reread your post-was this black belt from your school system was it just ~some dude?

Just some black belt that dropped in for our open mat. I have no idea where he trained, unfortunately I didnt get a lot of time to ask him since I had to bail as soon as we were done. But I wanted to!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Just some black belt that dropped in for our open mat. I have no idea where he trained, unfortunately I didnt get a lot of time to ask him since I had to bail as soon as we were done. But I wanted to!

Maybe he'll come back and you'll get another chance, or maybe hopefully he won't, hue. My coach and her husband are going to worlds, she's getting nervous.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Treat it the same way you would anytime another rando stops you to show you something. Black belt skill and ability can vary widely just depending on who promoted them and the circumstances surrounding it.

Unless generally, not specfically tacos, if youre still like less than a year into it, in which case if a black belt is saying youre doing something which will break them or yourself, you should probably listen because chances are its the truth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

What throw were you practicing that they said to pull down? I can only think of two common throws where you'd want to do that, and even then it's only in like two variations.

I had the reverse situation yesterday where we had a somewhat rusty brown belt drop in our open mat judo practice and by the end of the practice he and I were discussing how many loving ways there are to do any given throw. I gave him a few corrections but it was always in the "hey I noticed you doing this but the throw is working for you so do what you will with that info" framing. Anyway it was quite useful for me actually because I've been training with the same 4-5 partners exclusively for the last 6 mos, two of whom have learned 90% of their judo directly from me, so just having someone with a different movement pattern and different physical assumptions gave me a chance to refine and adjust some of the stuff I was doing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have been officially asked not to wear my rainbow tights without shorts over the top. Okay George Orwell, I guess I’ll just see myself to the gulag

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My old school had a rule that you could only wear spats with no shorts if you also wore a cape, and your partner was allowed to choke you with the cape.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

butros posted:

My old school had a rule that you could only wear spats with no shorts if you also wore a cape, and your partner was allowed to choke you with the cape.

I hope people still did this.

Did this rule apply to women too?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yes it was an equal opportunity decree.

No one ever did it, it was only instituted because of one white belt guy who changed his tune very quick after receiving the outpouring of ridicule from everyone.
I have a pic, complete with lazy photoshopped cape.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

butros posted:

No one ever did it, it was only instituted because of one white belt guy who changed his tune very quick after receiving the outpouring of ridicule from everyone.

Dude wants to show off his love of sf. What's wrong?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

is the shorts over leggings thing to just minimize dick visibility?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

I wouldnt dress up like this but I dont think its that bad. He would fit right in at any 10P :D

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I twisted my ankle p bad doing extremely stupid no-gi judo while drunk on the bank of a river. Going to tell my sensei I fell off a bike or something.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Head Bee Guy posted:

is the shorts over leggings thing to just minimize dick visibility?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Where I train, some shorty shorts are definitely present (I wear some cheekers, myself). No dudes have done spats only but ladies have and some dudes just train in compression shorts that are a fly hole away from being underbritches.

Nobody seems to mind. I've considered going spats only but I usually wear shorts over them. I've abandoned the spats lately due to the increased temperature of the season. I feel bad about it because I have fur pants and I'm grabbing up on my sweaty shag carper legs isn't real fun for anyone.

Only wardrobe issue I think I'd have is if people started training shirtless or in a sports bra only. That would get kinda wild as people got sweatier. At least the rash guards provide a little friction.

EDIT: dredging up an older topic, at open mat yesterday right before the session ended a few coaches present decided we all needed to do positional work. I hated it. I understand the arguments for only rolling positionally but I just wanna bang, bro.

It's annoying to escape the prescribed position and then have to reset. Yeah I learned something and blah blah but I go to open mat for fun and to test things I'm working on. Was annoying and I hope it doesn't become a trend.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2022

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
It's a rite of passage to get waterboarded by saggy t shirt guy in north south

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Vashro posted:

It's a rite of passage to get waterboarded by saggy t shirt guy in north south

powerful and distinct olfactory memories triggered

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

Only wardrobe issue I think I'd have is if people started training shirtless or in a sports bra only.

If I was king dick of grapple mountain. I would ban people from going shirtless if they're hairy, otherwise wear what ever so long as your cheeks and sack/vag are covered, no t-shirts, and nothing with holes for people to get their fingers accidentally caught and broken in.

Just health and safety poo poo really.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

What throw were you practicing that they said to pull down? I can only think of two common throws where you'd want to do that, and even then it's only in like two variations.

Regular old Ippon Seoi Nage; it was the start of the Kuzushi, before we pulled our left hand out and up and stepped out first foot in.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
As long as the basic health and safety boxes are checked and there are at least two layers of fabric between me and someone else's junk, I don't care too much what anyone wears. My BJJ fashion sense (such as it is) is fairly conservative, except around Halloween, where I'll bust out this bad boy on the no-gi days. I'm not quite as built as the model, but it's been a well-received goof among everyone except the old meathead MMA guy, and that's a cherry on top in my book.

knuthgrush posted:

EDIT: dredging up an older topic, at open mat yesterday right before the session ended a few coaches present decided we all needed to do positional work. I hated it. I understand the arguments for only rolling positionally but I just wanna bang, bro.

It's annoying to escape the prescribed position and then have to reset. Yeah I learned something and blah blah but I go to open mat for fun and to test things I'm working on. Was annoying and I hope it doesn't become a trend.

It's a little weird to make people do anything at an open mat, but the real pro move here is to bribe your coaches to make everyone start those positional sparring rounds in whatever position *you* want to work on.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regular old Ippon Seoi Nage; it was the start of the Kuzushi, before we pulled our left hand out and up and stepped out first foot in.

:wtc:

Spats only checking in. It makes me feel like wheeler yuta. I hate the shorts because feet get caught in them and stuff. They're annoying.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nestharken posted:

It's a little weird to make people do anything at an open mat, but the real pro move here is to bribe your coaches to make everyone start those positional sparring rounds in whatever position *you* want to work on.

Fortunately it's the first and only time I've experienced it there. Hopefully it's not a trend. If I wanted to work positional stuff during that time, I'd attend one of the classes instead.

I think it's due to the fights and matches coming up for our folks.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I've embraced loose, tucked in tee shirt and gym shorts aesthetic op.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have been officially asked not to wear my rainbow tights without shorts over the top. Okay George Orwell, I guess I’ll just see myself to the gulag

Hi rainbow tights buddy. I wear rainbow spats and rashguard and nobdy has said a thing. We don't really have a dress code. Sometimes guys grapple shirtless, which is still OK by ADCC rules. Personally I'd love to have to Josh Barnett style black speedos and wrestling shoes.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
First comp coming up this weekend. No one has signed up in my bracket so they will likely combine some to make a decent competition. I'm in the 100.5kg class so they either combine me with lower class or with open weight. Will be fun either way and as a beginner I don't think it really matters tbh.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well i'm gonna dump a little celebration for myself here because none of my friends or loved ones cares about my struggle cuddles...

today i brought the fight to a one stripe blue belt who used to kick my rear end on the regular. he used to go to the yes gi class i attend on monday mornings but he switched to evenings. he showed up today and was my drilling partner. when it was time for free rolls, he met me with heavy energy and i responded with the same level of effort. i didn't get a sub but i didn't get subbed and i had him on the defense the entire time. kept switching my sub attempts and repeatedly used it to gain position.

i am beyond stoked. i figured he was having a bad day or something and i thanked him for letting me work but he said he wasn't going easy and he really was stuck trying to defend. it's the first time i've felt competent in my jiujitsu. my body was just working correctly for whatever reason and it ruled.

the second roll i had was with a white belt i regularly train with who normally dominates me. he's got another stripe on his belt than me but i think he should probably be a blue belt. i felt sorry for him because i just came off that hard roll and was still a little up on the adrenaline curve and came at him kinda heavy but we leveled out and i feel like i did better against him than i normally do after i settled down.

anyway, thanks for attending my victory lap. i'll get back to having my rear end handed to me tomorrow.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stramit posted:

First comp coming up this weekend. No one has signed up in my bracket so they will likely combine some to make a decent competition. I'm in the 100.5kg class so they either combine me with lower class or with open weight. Will be fun either way and as a beginner I don't think it really matters tbh.

break a somebody's leg!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pyle posted:

Hi rainbow tights buddy. I wear rainbow spats and rashguard and nobdy has said a thing. We don't really have a dress code. Sometimes guys grapple shirtless, which is still OK by ADCC rules. Personally I'd love to have to Josh Barnett style black speedos and wrestling shoes.

I am still saddened by the fact that my scramble rainbow spats died, and there's really not a good replacement out there for them. :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In stand up is there a classy way of dealing with timidity?

Where if you make any sort of aggressive move, they'll wheel around or back off. I can deal with it by just tackling the crap out of the other dude when I get bored, which works, but I'd like to work stuff from tie ups or grips or something. Instead of just letting them run backwards and shoot basically suicidally aggressive double legs from ranges not fit for my weight group. Am I stuck with just standing there and letting them get stupid deep grips which they're not gonna be able to back off from and working from there?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you're using a defined space then footwork to cut off their escape. Refs will also call stalling, so I mean that's something they should understand if they're at all competitive.

Overall though, it's hard to engage with people who only want to run and have unlimited space to do so.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

If you're using a defined space then footwork to cut off their escape. Refs will also call stalling, so I mean that's something they should understand if they're at all competitive.

Overall though, it's hard to engage with people who only want to run and have unlimited space to do so.

Yea, it's a problem. In an actual match, refs would call them on stalling and we'd have a defined area where leaving repeatedly would call them out. On top of that as basically highest ranked, more experience, tallest, strongest and heaviest in the vast majority of my rolls if they get injured by being foot worked into a wall or they accidentally run over another roll its going to be my fault.

I think I'll just ask them politely to just pull guard if they're intent on just running the entire time, although I kinda dislike having to do that.

:shrug:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you're highest ranked then I think you've got license to do what you said " hey, just pull guard" and/or enforce some kind of imaginary spacing requirement.

You could also explain that just running away all the time is a waste of training time. Sometimes that clicks with people.

If they're really nervous, go partial speed or make the standup part a drill and go live when someone touches the ground.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Defenestrategy posted:

In stand up is there a classy way of dealing with timidity?

Where if you make any sort of aggressive move, they'll wheel around or back off. I can deal with it by just tackling the crap out of the other dude when I get bored, which works, but I'd like to work stuff from tie ups or grips or something. Instead of just letting them run backwards and shoot basically suicidally aggressive double legs from ranges not fit for my weight group. Am I stuck with just standing there and letting them get stupid deep grips which they're not gonna be able to back off from and working from there?

When I started judo I had a quite large, very skilled female coach from Japan. She was intimidating as hell so of course I'd back away from her across the mat every time. One day she told be to stop backing up, and if my opponent is pressing me to just shove them in the chest. The next few rounds with her she really pressured me and made me stand my ground. I've used the same strategy with countless other beginners. Maybe not the most sound offensive strategy, but its a starting point, gives people a bit of confidence which works pretty well getting them over that fear-of-engaging hump, and teaches some other good habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Not shoving the boobs, try not to shove boibs, more like the clavicle area.