Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Rickson did all his fighting on Rio beaches so he has a skewed perspective.

I rolled with a dude on a beach and let me tell you, the first time you go to turtle and eat a pound of sand, its quite an experience. You can also really tell who lost: I only had a little sand on my face from the turtle thing but my buddy who is less experienced ,and so spent more time on his back, was covered in tiny abrasions, even a little blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Congrats man!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I rolled with a dude on a beach and let me tell you, the first time you go to turtle and eat a pound of sand, its quite an experience. You can also really tell who lost: I only had a little sand on my face from the turtle thing but my buddy who is less experienced ,and so spent more time on his back, was covered in tiny abrasions, even a little blood.

Our gay sport.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That sounds hellacious! & thanks Thoguh

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

Our gay sport.

If only we'd had the Brazilian speedos and waxed chests. Sigh

E3 Keynote
Jul 22, 2004

eyyyyyyyyyy

Xguard86 posted:

it's not too late. meet me down at the beach.

i mean, just to train you know

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

E3 Keynote posted:

it's not too late. meet me down at the beach.

i mean, just to train you know

It is a full moon....

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Xguard86 posted:

NoGi is usually on Saturday.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm real dumb. Was trying to pass open guard, manage to drop almost my entire bodyweight onto the dude's knee... with my throat. Entire bodyweight hit my adam's apple. Couldn't talk at all this morning, spent the day getting scans done to make sure I hadn't damaged my voice box and I didn't have a spinal injury.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

edit

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational is this weekend. About half of the D-1 wrestling schools will be there as well as a handful of D-II and NAIA schools. Easily the biggest regular season college wrestling tournament of the season (Midlands and the Southern Scuffle are the only other two that come close but they are at the same time so don't have the depth). FloWrestling will be covering all the mats live. If you're in Vegas you should consider going. And if you aren't you should consider subscribing to Flo so you can watch. Pre-seed were released last night and 133 in particular is going to be a meat grinder and there is probably going to be at least one guy who misses placing at Cliff Keen but is an All American next March.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Thoguh posted:

The Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational is this weekend. About half of the D-1 wrestling schools will be there as well as a handful of D-II and NAIA schools. Easily the biggest regular season college wrestling tournament of the season (Midlands and the Southern Scuffle are the only other two that come close but they are at the same time so don't have the depth). FloWrestling will be covering all the mats live. If you're in Vegas you should consider going. And if you aren't you should consider subscribing to Flo so you can watch. Pre-seed were released last night and 133 in particular is going to be a meat grinder and there is probably going to be at least one guy who misses placing at Cliff Keen but is an All American next March.

Who are the guys to watch this year?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
EBI News:
Eddie Cummings out (MCL), Garry Tonon in for EBI5
EBI6 will be an absolute in Mexico City with 50k potential prize cash

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dangersim posted:

Who are the guys to watch this year?

Alex Dieringer from Oklahoma State is the main one. 3 time All American, 2 time national champ (@157 in 2014 and @165 last year). He's the clear favorite at 165 this season and has basically destroyed everybody he's gone up against the last two years.

Isaiah Martinez from Illinois is another guy to keep an eye on. He was undefeated at 157 as a freshman last year, the first undefeated freshman national champ since Cael Sanderson in 1999

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I would add J'Den Cox, 197 lbs at Mizzou, who won an NCAA title as a true freshman in 2014, and took 5th last year.

Also, Chance Marsteller, 157 lbs at Oklahoma State. He was an undefeated, 4x PA State Champ in high school, but hasn't put the pieces together at the collegiate level yet. Still, considering the staff and team at Ok St., he may come into his own over the course of the season.

Definitely, I-Mar, too.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Am I wrong for thinking that the leg-lock-centric game in no-gi today is less a fad but more a natural evolution of no-gi grappling in general?

Many of the high-percentage submissions in gi involving the upper body are either not present in no-gi (collar chokes) or are harder to set up because of lack of grips and slipperiness due to sweat (armbars, omoplatas, to a lesser degree triangles). Now I'm not saying that none of these submissions are impossible, just that it's much easier to catch an opponent's leg. The leg doesn't rotate nearly as freely as the arm, and the ankle provides much better grip than any part of the arm. It's also (obviously) much more difficult to maneuver the rest of the body around without the power of the legs.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

IT BEGINS posted:

Am I wrong for thinking that the leg-lock-centric game in no-gi today is less a fad but more a natural evolution of no-gi grappling in general?

Many of the high-percentage submissions in gi involving the upper body are either not present in no-gi (collar chokes) or are harder to set up because of lack of grips and slipperiness due to sweat (armbars, omoplatas, to a lesser degree triangles). Now I'm not saying that none of these submissions are impossible, just that it's much easier to catch an opponent's leg. The leg doesn't rotate nearly as freely as the arm, and the ankle provides much better grip than any part of the arm. It's also (obviously) much more difficult to maneuver the rest of the body around without the power of the legs.

I dunno. I would imagine the main reason leg locks are more prevalent in no-gi than in gi is because gi tournaments more often have rules discouraging leg locks. If IBJJF did away with the knee-reaping rule and allowed heel hooks leg locks would probably be about as common in the gi as in no-gi.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

IT BEGINS posted:

I'm curious to hear from the experienced leg-lockers, I wish I was one but I know almost nothing.

My take:
the evolution is in making these attacks a normal part of bjj, similar to SAMBO or old time catch where it's just another set of techniques you practice and understand.

the fad part is that everyone is focusing on them because they're the weakest part of most people's game at the moment. My former instructor was competing at brown belt 10 - 15 years ago and said spider guard was like leg locks now: everyone was doing all these spider variations and they were working because people hadn't seen it before. Now, I think even a middle blue can shut down a spider guard without it being a big thing(assuming its not a huge size/skill difference).

It also seems that a lot of the lighter guys are into the leg game. I can't tell if its because they're better for thinner longer guys? I asked before and some leg lockers said actually its harder due to leverage mechanics but still, the Ryan Hall types are all going for knee attacks constantly.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

IT BEGINS posted:

Yes and no, I feel that all submissions are hard to catch in No-Gi. If your gym focuses on Leg Locks or teaches a lot of them. It's gonna be a lot harder to catch a leg submission. From my limited knowledge, a lot of leg locks can be stopped by just having awareness of where your legs are, instead of just posting them willy nilly on your opponent where they can get ate. That said it is way easier if your opponent has no idea what he's doing. Sorta like how it's way easy to catch an Armbar if your opponent just kinda puts his arm in the air infront of you while you're mounted.

Xguard86 posted:

My take:
the evolution is in making these attacks a normal part of bjj, similar to SAMBO or old time catch where it's just another set of techniques you practice and understand.

Unfortunately from what I can tell most Gi tournaments crib their rules from IBJJF. So until the IBJJF allows more than a straight ankle lock til brown belt. There wont be enough reason for teachers to introduce these at a lower level :shrug:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 7, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Xguard86 posted:

It also seems that a lot of the lighter guys are into the leg game. I can't tell if its because they're better for thinner longer guys? I asked before and some leg lockers said actually its harder due to leverage mechanics but still, the Ryan Hall types are all going for knee attacks constantly.

In Ryan's advanced classes, he almost exclusively teaches a pressure top game these days. He kind of moved in that direction after his last two IBJJF defeats. Space is a pain to come by at times and you either need to force it (somehow) or hope the top player messes up. He actually has a wrestling game (although since he's not a natural athlete, doesn't really have the explosive power), and his top pressure is literally some of the worst top pressure I've ever encountered.

I'm a lighter guy (~150), but I got into leg locks because of training with Ryan and Seph. People don't train in leglocks as much as other stuff, so if I can get to a position that not many folks are comfortable with, easy wins for me. My legs are kind of short to the point that I can't do stupid triangles, so not sure why I'm comfortable in 50/50 and the likes :iiam:

Anyways, that's a long way of saying that he's selling DVDs and the likes for money, and will probably gladly take your money for leglock privates, but if you're training with him on a day-in, day-out basis, expect to do lots of wrestling and to be pushed into a top-heavy game.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

2DCAT posted:

In Ryan's advanced classes, he almost exclusively teaches a pressure top game these days. He kind of moved in that direction after his last two IBJJF defeats. Space is a pain to come by at times and you either need to force it (somehow) or hope the top player messes up. He actually has a wrestling game (although since he's not a natural athlete, doesn't really have the explosive power), and his top pressure is literally some of the worst top pressure I've ever encountered.

I'm a lighter guy (~150), but I got into leg locks because of training with Ryan and Seph. People don't train in leglocks as much as other stuff, so if I can get to a position that not many folks are comfortable with, easy wins for me. My legs are kind of short to the point that I can't do stupid triangles, so not sure why I'm comfortable in 50/50 and the likes :iiam:

Anyways, that's a long way of saying that he's selling DVDs and the likes for money, and will probably gladly take your money for leglock privates, but if you're training with him on a day-in, day-out basis, expect to do lots of wrestling and to be pushed into a top-heavy game.

well that echoes every professor I've ever trained under IRL so its consistent.

Maybe instead of this bjj thing I should just go over the local HS and wrestle with man children.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone else going to attempt to forget about Weidman losing by watching EBI tonight?

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Sprecherscrow posted:

Anyone else going to attempt to forget about Weidman losing by watching EBI tonight?

Link?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

http://www.budovideos.com/pages/eddie-bravo-presents-the-eddie-bravo-international-ebi-5-live-ppv

It's $20

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
And we start off with a brand new terrible Eddie Bravo produced song about jiu jitsu.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
All in on Rueben Alvarez.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
They allow heel hooks for the kids for the first time and someone gets hurt, bummer.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Rani Yahya gets tapped by some random Australian dude!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That flip was pure awesome.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Rafael Domingos / Garry Tonon in the finals. :munch:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Garry Tonon, 12-0 at EBI.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Do you train at 50/50 regularly? I'm still a white belt, but thinking about stopping in there for a class or two when I visit my folks for the holidays. Are they real strict about the difference between Fundamentals 1 and 2 or whatever? I usually do alright in rolling bc of high school wrestling, but am still poo poo at a lot of really basic submissions.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm also interested in hearing about 50/50 since it's the best BJJ place close to where I live, though I am a BJJ virgin.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

eshock posted:

Do you train at 50/50 regularly? I'm still a white belt, but thinking about stopping in there for a class or two when I visit my folks for the holidays. Are they real strict about the difference between Fundamentals 1 and 2 or whatever? I usually do alright in rolling bc of high school wrestling, but am still poo poo at a lot of really basic submissions.

I trained there for about 5 years and now I train over at Dave Jacob's place over in Tyson's (after being a bit of a bjj hobo across DC for about 6 months) . I don't want to start bjj drama or anything, but before you go anywhere, I'd look at the competition team page and ask if any of those members are still there, where they are at now, why they left, etc. If you can put up with everything, its incredibly amazing instruction, and if you're just getting started, he'll teach you concepts that you'll remember for the rest of your life (I.e., teaching concepts and not moves)

Seph used to teach the basics class, but not sure who is there teaching it now. Maybe jen or Kenny. Kenny is a really awesome teacher but I don't think he's there as much anymore. Seph is an incredibly amazing teacher too and if anyone stops by Richmond they should check out his new school.

We didn't have fundamentals 1 and 2 when I was at 50...it was just basics and advanced, with advanced being for blur and above.

I'd try out both Dave's and Ryan's if you're there for a couple of days. Theyre both like a few miles away from one another. Dave's has open mats on the weekends and people from different gyms across DC stop by.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

2DCAT posted:

I trained there for about 5 years and now I train over at Dave Jacob's place over in Tyson's (after being a bit of a bjj hobo across DC for about 6 months) . I don't want to start bjj drama or anything, but before you go anywhere, I'd look at the competition team page and ask if any of those members are still there, where they are at now, why they left, etc. If you can put up with everything, its incredibly amazing instruction, and if you're just getting started, he'll teach you concepts that you'll remember for the rest of your life (I.e., teaching concepts and not moves)

Seph used to teach the basics class, but not sure who is there teaching it now. Maybe jen or Kenny. Kenny is a really awesome teacher but I don't think he's there as much anymore. Seph is an incredibly amazing teacher too and if anyone stops by Richmond they should check out his new school.

We didn't have fundamentals 1 and 2 when I was at 50...it was just basics and advanced, with advanced being for blur and above.

I'd try out both Dave's and Ryan's if you're there for a couple of days. Theyre both like a few miles away from one another. Dave's has open mats on the weekends and people from different gyms across DC stop by.

I haven't trained with Dave or Ryan but Dave's a very good dude, I used to run into him at East Coast tournaments a lot.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Caught EBI 5. I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Garry Tonan is good at jiu jitsu.

E3 Keynote
Jul 22, 2004

eyyyyyyyyyy

Decades posted:

Caught EBI 5. I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Garry Tonan is good at jiu jitsu.

bold....

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Decades posted:

He's kind of like if Marcelo was a submission-before-position guy, he's so much fun to watch

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
For the record, I've done better against Garry in competition than many of these guys.*

* 6 years ago**
** When we were both purple belts***
*** I outweighed him by 60+ lbs****
**** I still got submitted*****
***** He's gotten even better now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

2DCAT posted:

Thanks.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is what my schedule looks like and when I could actually get in. I have a long commute from the Hill, so it might be limited to weekends. At that point, it doesn't matter much if I have a ~5 minute drive to 50/50 or a ~15 minute drive to Dave's.