Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Vomik posted:

Yeah - I'm not that worried about overtraining - more that time focused on strength training becoming detrimental to BJJ (perhaps?)

What kind of training program do you follow? Do you do powerlifting style? More of a "crossfit" style? Or do you just vary it up a lot?

I've cut my gym training back from 5x week to 2-3 while doing training 3-5x week.

Right now because I'm lazy I'm doing all flexibility, bodyweight, and gymnastic training with a few kb swings thrown in.

But I will never really have to worry about not being stronger than anyone I go against. I would rather take that strength now and learn how to apply it while being all bendy and minimalize injuries.

The 2 MMA fighters I'm helping get ready for their local shows have really enjoyed it compared to traditional weights and notice a huge difference in their training as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Best finishes from side control (standard) with their arm trapped at your hip between your elbow and knee? I'm sure there's lots but I found myself there tonight & drew a blank

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best finishes from side control (standard) with their arm trapped at your hip between your elbow and knee? I'm sure there's lots but I found myself there tonight & drew a blank

Hip switch to scarf and do scarf things.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Scarf hold best hold

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

We had some fun with worst injuries a few pages back - how about a new one?

Your favorite submission/KO/victory you have ever had in combat sports.

Mine (non-fencing, some of those take the cake but aren't combat) is when I was rolling with a guy who was about half my age, maybe sixteen-ish tops. He was 120 pounds if he was lucky and I'm a solid 200 pounds. He had been training for a year but simply wasn't strong enough to lock me up in a submission. I was giving him space to let him work and get something out of the roll, though.

After a while I saw him getting frustrated and mentioned, "Man, your so lucky to start this at such a young age! You're better than me and only going to keep getting better!" He then smirked and said in a SUPER GOON :smugdog: type voice, "Well, I guess I'm going to outlive you easy...AND I am better..." and chuckled.

I smiled and promptly arm in choked him from mount three times in two minutes.

It. Felt. So. GOOD.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

you can also hip switch to get their shoulder up off the ground and go for a cutting armbar

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

We had some fun with worst injuries a few pages back - how about a new one?

Last time I was at NAGA, after I lost to the guy who took first, I was up to fight for third. The guy who took second came up to me and said "This guy knows the leg game, man. Watch out."

About a minute in he went for a kneebar and I broke his ankle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

fatherdog posted:

Last time I was at NAGA, after I lost to the guy who took first, I was up to fight for third. The guy who took second came up to me and said "This guy knows the leg game, man. Watch out."

gently caress.

Was he being stupid or do you just Paul Harris people who deserve it?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I let go the second people tap. He tried to fight through it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
i have a much deeper pool of injuries than victories to draw from so this is harder, but probably putting a guy to sleep with a triangle at a tournament

fatherdog posted:

lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Highlight of my career was getting a 15-0 tech victory against an amputee in a sambo tournament

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it wasn't a ko, but my favorite victory was an amateur boxing match about five years ago. some 'wires got crossed' and the guy i was fighting was a cruiserweight. i was a middleweight. i went through with it anyway and it was just the sweetest victory. no poo poo, i did not get hit once. in the first round i slipped this uppercut by mm and thought 'christ, that would have taken my head off' but i didn't get shy, i was just in the loving zone. by the middle of the third round i wouldn't even need to dodge, i'd see him start to punch and just counter him. had a few beers with the guy after and he couldn't have been cooler about it.

roy jones can't be touched the entire ride home.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Really aggressive semi-pro at my gym going really hard in sparring but was a weight class below me. He got upset after I leg kicked his legs out from under him and started responding to every subsequent leg kick feint so I kept going under his checks and sweeping him until he just left the ring.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Favorite sub was definitely when another white belt from a different school asked to flow roll and started going apeshit. I spent awhile under side control with his forearm in my face/neck but then mounted him and triangled him. Felt pretty righteous.

Also last week I rolled with "guy who won't stop talking and isn't very good". I don't actually mind since he at least doesn't stop the roll while carrying on. Unlike a lot of the older / out of shape students that will stop in the roll to 'show me a tip' as soon as I get an advantage when it is pretty obvious they are just gassing out and a want a breather. Anyway someone off the mat said something to this guy and he responded with "yeah this is crazy, we're so evenly matched we just can't submit each other!!!" Since he seemed unaware I had been going a little easy on him I proceeded to cross collar choke him inside my guard 30 seconds later.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Every time I get a bicep slicer when someone defends an arm bar.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm competing in my first tournament on 3/19. My gameplan is to bicep slicer someone onto concrete #thuglife

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Anyone have any treatment tips for a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder? Just take a break and don't let any giant dudes crush my neck for a while? I'd go to the doctor but it's a textbook case and it seems like there's not much to be done about it besides rest and some heat. It's mostly just some numbness in my hand which I wouldn't even worry about except that I play the drums and have some obligations coming up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
favorite sub is the two times I've gotten people to tap to diaphragm chokes. Like barnett vs Lister except I'm literally over 100 pounds lighter and not good.

I like it because I tell them "I'm putting you in a dark place. This is a mental submission" as I watch the panic in their eyes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

favorite sub is the two times I've gotten people to tap to diaphragm chokes. Like barnett vs Lister except I'm literally over 100 pounds lighter and not good.

I like it because I tell them "I'm putting you in a dark place. This is a mental submission" as I watch the panic in their eyes.

I would totally use the Fatman Choke[It's what I've heard Eric Paulson call it] way more often, but there is a thin thin line between compression choke and neck crank. I can only imagine it's also a poor choice of submission in competition due to some people being lame and looking for an excuse for a DQ win.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
you have to be mindful of their neck, usually when I do it I'll frame it so I'm holding their head / neck in alignment. I've only really done it when I'm messing around a little. Usually people don't tap to it but give up an arm or back to get out, you only get the tap when you have it just right and they're already a little worn down.

Its a legit thing though and you can get it without being fat, although it does seem to be easier when you outweigh someone (isn't everything?). Its also entertaining to use when people are very new because its so nightmarish.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

I accidentally did this last night actually with the arm shoved up by their neck.

I was in Kesa Gatame and he kept trying to sweep me and to stop it I started leaning back taking him with me.

I knew it was super lovely for him, but he tried to suffer through it and finally tapped after he couldn't take in any more air.

It was pretty cool, but hearing him suffer but not tap was kind crappy.

I would hear him exhale big, then only be able to inhale half as big, exhale a little less big, inhale even less, exhale less, then no inhale at all and then tap.

I think my shoulder was all up in his stomach as well as he quickly went into the bathroom thinking he was about to vomit.

edit:

Favorite submission so far was my 2nd week of training and I was rolling with this MMA guy who does just enough BJJ to be able to spaz around on the ground when he does roll (but still way more than I've done).

He wasn't wearing a gi and I was and he kept trying to collar choke me and magically I ended up in mount and hit him with an arm bar. He was super pissed and most of the blue belts who he does MMA with just started laughing at him.

I've never gotten an arm bar against anyone else since lol.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 19, 2016

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Decades posted:

Anyone have any treatment tips for a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder? Just take a break and don't let any giant dudes crush my neck for a while? I'd go to the doctor but it's a textbook case and it seems like there's not much to be done about it besides rest and some heat. It's mostly just some numbness in my hand which I wouldn't even worry about except that I play the drums and have some obligations coming up.
Go to a doctor. I know it's a textbook case but they can give you prescription NSAIDs or corticosteriods that will reduce the swelling and therefore the pressure on the nerve. This will reduce the nerve symptoms and the possiblility of atrophy. In addition, he can check for more serious disc injury that might require more aggressive treatment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got a rolling anaconda choke on a big strong guy who is roughly my skill level :shobon:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Decades posted:

Depends on where it is, but look up 1st rib mobilizations and the Ido Portal 7 minute hanging protocol.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Yuns posted:

Go to a doctor.

Alfalfa posted:

look up 1st rib mobilizations and the Ido Portal 7 minute hanging protocol.

Noted, thanks.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

My favorite submission was the first one I ever hit in competition. It was a NAGA in 2008 when I was a white belt. In my first no gi match, I got a triangle and it was tight enough to make the guy's nose bleed. Got his blood all over my shorts. Still have the shorts as a kind of trophy. My wife thinks it's gross.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
you didnt wash them right?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
She's right but that's a cool story & trophy.

I've tapped people very infrequently so most of mine are memorable for that reason. The best one that stands out is when I (a 3 week blue belt) was rolling with a bigger, stronger, more experienced grappler. He was positionally all over me but I was defending myself well. 4 minutes into the roll, I twisted away from one of his attacks, from below, and wrapped my legs around his arm, elbow lock & tap. Was very happy with that. Just reinforced the notion that patience and solid defending can pay off if the proper opportunity is seized upon.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My first ippon against someone substantially higher grade than me was really sweet. I was a yellow belt and he was a brown belt. I did a left handed osoto gari and he looked so incredibly dumbfounded as he was standing up. Goddamn did I feel good. Didn't get another ippon against a brown for months after that.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Alfalfa posted:

I was in Kesa Gatame and he kept trying to sweep me and to stop it I started leaning back taking him with me.

I knew it was super lovely for him, but he tried to suffer through it and finally tapped after he couldn't take in any more air.

It was pretty cool, but hearing him suffer but not tap was kind crappy.

I would hear him exhale big, then only be able to inhale half as big, exhale a little less big, inhale even less, exhale less, then no inhale at all and then tap.

I think my shoulder was all up in his stomach as well as he quickly went into the bathroom thinking he was about to vomit.

This is what is up.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
How important is inverting in the long term? Like, are there high level guys that don't do it? After a somewhat embarrassing berimbolo seminar earlier today I've been looking up and attempting to do inversion drills all afternoon with little success. Best I've been able to do is getting my knees about ~7 inches off the ground and exiting from the position there's some discomfort in my upper thoracic spine for like... 30 seconds. Any tips?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WayneCampbell posted:

How important is inverting in the long term? Like, are there high level guys that don't do it? After a somewhat embarrassing berimbolo seminar earlier today I've been looking up and attempting to do inversion drills all afternoon with little success. Best I've been able to do is getting my knees about ~7 inches off the ground and exiting from the position there's some discomfort in my upper thoracic spine for like... 30 seconds. Any tips?

Practice laying flat on your back and bringing your toes over you and touch the ground with them, over your head. DON'T bring them in a straight arch over your neck as you might be putting too much weight on it. instead try and do a few sets over each shoulder, staying there and laying flat again. After a week of that drill I was much much more comfortable getting stacked and stuff. Still can't go inverted but I believe the problem relies on the fact I've got no abs and fall to my side once i've gone inverted and can't regain guard if I go against the wall or someone standing still.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's my strong point. Love inverting

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ICHIBAHN posted:

That's my strong point. Love inverting

Give us your secrets.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Odddzy posted:

Give us your secrets.

Do lots of Granby rolls to warm up, and try to suck your own dick when you have a few minutes to kill at home.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Basically. Lots of rolls before class. I also have one of those inflated balls, that helps for general flexibility I think. I also got pounded for months & got used to being in uncomfortable positions (like being stacked) very quickly. I guess that helped.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah I'm barely ever the right way up, y'all are weird. Try doing a lot of really slow rolling to develop comfort. Slow the rolling motions down until they're a progression of static or almost-static positions.

1. Slow shoulder roll: Start kneeling. Put your right arm flat on the ground down outside your left leg (palm up), and then tuck your neck and do a shoulder roll but real slow. Switch sides a few times.

2. Slow granby roll: Start sitting. Put your right arm behind you. Roll really slowly up onto your right shoulder (your arm will go flatten out along the ground to keep you upright). Then roll from one shoulder to the other, bring your left arm in, and roll down until your position mirrors the way you started but on the other side, and come back to sitting. Go back and forth a few times.

And just do a bunch of stuff like that. Make it up as you go. The idea is just to get half way through common rolling motions, then stop and stay balanced at the in between points wherever possible. Then when people roll or stack you into weird places you'll stay calm and work through your problems instead of freaking out and getting passed while you try to get yourself upright again

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

If you want to nerd it out and buy a program to get used to movement in general (that includes inversion, rolling, etc), I recommend the GMB Fitness Daily Vitamin program.

https://gmb.io/v/

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I actually just got finished setting up my pullup/LSit contraption for gmb's Integral Strength. :dance:

I like their stuff, have Elements, Vitamin , Focused Flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Kekekela posted:

I actually just got finished setting up my pullup/LSit contraption for gmb's Integral Strength. :dance:

I like their stuff, have Elements, Vitamin , Focused Flexibility.

Yah they have some awesome stuff.

I have elements, vitamin, focused flexibility, integral strength, unbreakable, rings 1, and parallettes 1 lol