Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Pico and Molinaro have split 4-2, 4-3 and will go for a third. That'll be crazy if Pico wins the spot as a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heel
Nov 29, 2005

Algud Bro...
Just started watching. You guys have any suggestions for which mats to watch?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Heel posted:

Just started watching. You guys have any suggestions for which mats to watch?

They're down to 1 mat now so you can't make a bad pick. They'll be back up to 4 tomorrow morning and the assignments are random so you can either follow on trackwrestling to get mat assignments or just pick a mat and stick with it.

But 86kg will probably be the weight to watch tomorrow morning with Dake and Taylor. Though I'll be partial to 97kg since there are two Iowa State guys in that bracket.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I want Molinaro to lose based entirely on his hair.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I want Molinaro to lose based entirely on his hair.

A good opinion.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Aww, I was hoping to see Pico get it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Aww, I was hoping to see Pico get it.

He was definitely the more entertaining wrestler there.

Nice series of turns by Perkins.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

dammit, when I saw Metcalf lost to Molinaro I was sure that meant it would be JO's year. Welp.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NBC streams last night and today are both asking me to log in. The whole weekened was supposed to be free streams so that's super annoying.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Kyle Dake's main purpose in life seems to be to taking whatever David Taylor is trying to do and then doing that thing better.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 10, 2016

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Kyle Dake's main purpose in life seems to be to taking whatever David Taylor is trying to do and then doing that thing better.

I don't know if Taylor needs a better sports psychologist or what, but for one of the most successful collegiate wrestlers ever, he seems to have a hard time pulling through when it counts most. Or Dake is just the perfect foil to him.

I'm also curious how he'll match up physically against Cox. Does Dake look undersized at 86 KG? Has/will the weight cut hurt Cox?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

I'm also curious how he'll match up physically against Cox. Does Dake look undersized at 86 KG? Has/will the weight cut hurt Cox?

Dake looks like he's grown in to the weight. Cox looks really sucked down but the cut doesn't seem to be bothering him much. Both of them are really good wrestlers but I think Dake takes it on the strength of his experience, plus Cox has only been training freestyle for a few weeks after spending the whole school year on folkstyle.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm glad Dennis is getting the spot instead of Ramos at 57kg. I would have preferred Colemann Scott or Nahshon Garrett get it. But if it has to be a Hawkeye at least it isn't Ramos. And Metcalf lost yesterday too, so it was a victory for non knocklehead schoolyard bullies this year.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This guy just made the Olympic team at heavyweight in Greco Roman

:911: :911: :911: :911:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well poo poo, I was wrong. Cox and Dake split the first two matches and Cox took the third 4-3 to claim the spot. I think that he still has to qualify the spot for the Olympics though. Two qualification tournaments left. I believe the US also has yet to qualify at 65kg. Not sure about Greco and women's.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

drat, I haven't followed senior wrestling for long, the level of talent this year seems exceptional.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

This guy just made the Olympic team at heavyweight in Greco Roman

:911: :911: :911: :911:

An impressively Gardner-esque specimen

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Now that the trials are done, here's the USA Wrestling Olympic team:

Weights already qualified:
Men’s freestyle
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Daniel Dennis, Iowa City, Iowa (Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC)
74 kg/163.0 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska WTC)
97 kg/213.0 lbs.- Kyle Snyder, Woodbine, Md. (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Tervel Dlagnev, Columbus, Ohio (Sunkist Kids/Ohio RTC)
Greco-Roman
75 kg/165 lbs. – Andy Bisek, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Minnesota Storm)
85 kg/187.25 lbs. – Ben Provisor, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)
130 kg/286 lbs. – Robby Smith, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)
Women’s freestyle
63 kg/138.75 lbs. – Elena Pirozhkova, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC)
75 kg/165 lbs. – Adeline Gray, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)

Weights that still need to be qualified:
Men’s freestyle:
65 kg/143 lbs. – Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – J’Den Cox, Columbia, Mo. (Missouri Wrestling Federation)
Greco-Roman
59 kg/130 lbs. – Jesse Thielke, Germantown, Wis. (New York AC/OTC)
66 kg/145.5 lbs. – RaVaughn Perkins, Omaha, Neb. (New York AC/OTC)
98 kg/215 lbs. – Joe Rau, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
Women’s freestyle
48 kg/105.5 lbs. – Haley Augello, Lockport, Ill. (New York AC/OTC)
53 kg/116.5 lbs. – Helen Maroulis, Huntington Beach, Calif. (Sunkist Kids)
58 kg/128 lbs. – Kelsey Campbell, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
69 kg/152 lbs. – Tamyra Mensah, Katy, Texas (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)

The two qualifying events left are a tournament in Mongolia April 22-24 where the top three men and top two women qualify and then a tournament in Istanbul May 6-8 where the top two qualify for both men and women. At both events countries can only enter at weights they haven't qualified yet. So the competition gets easier than it has been in the past but there's also some desperation as the window to qualify draws to a close. Wikipedia has a good summary of what weights are qualified for each country.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2016

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I know Gardner was talking about making another run at the olympics. Did he come actually act on that?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

I know Gardner was talking about making another run at the olympics. Did he come actually act on that?

Shades of Sylvia talking about a UFC return.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

david carmichael posted:

Dunno if he tried any of the qualifiers, but he didn't make it to the Olympic Trials if he did try..

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Can someone explain to me why Tony Ramos is being a whiny bitch about Iowa all of a sudden?

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
He feels like everyone in the program decided to support Dan Dennis, who had just come back after having left wrestling for years, over him, a guy who never left.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

Can someone explain to me why Tony Ramos is being a whiny bitch about Iowa all of a sudden?

Because he's a bully who can't handle losing.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
After a month or so of side mount control techniques and escapes we're finally onto side mount attacks. Last night we went over a simple setup and the finishing mechanics of the brabo and anaconda chokes as well as some new tricks on baiting a head and arm choke or a guillotine from the top of side control. Awesome class, although now the vertebrae right between my shoulder blades are on fire, probably from getting folded up in anaconda chokes :gibs:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXvW796FBo

Weird how he forgot to do the double Ramos while he was running off the mat crying.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
"Raymos" bothers me intensely.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So the Eddie Bravo invitational is this Sunday I think. I've heard that its rules and scoring is pretty different to anything else in the bjj world. Is it seen as better, faster, more competitive? What are the major differences? I'm gonna try to sell my friends on watching it. Also I'd like any recommendations of cool BJJ matches on fight pass in any promotion on there.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Because he's a bully who can't handle losing.

Yeah but I already know he's hawkeye

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Sharzak posted:

So the Eddie Bravo invitational is this Sunday I think. I've heard that its rules and scoring is pretty different to anything else in the bjj world. Is it seen as better, faster, more competitive? What are the major differences? I'm gonna try to sell my friends on watching it. Also I'd like any recommendations of cool BJJ matches on fight pass in any promotion on there.

Most competitive would probably be considered ADCC, but EBI is better viewing and faster.

Its "sub only", or more accurately "no points". If no-one's gotten a submission by the end of 10 minutes they move into overtime,

The overtime rules are kind of college football-ish:
each person gets to start from back or spiderweb until the opponent escaped or is tapped, if one gets a submission and the other doesnt, that guy wins
if no-one wins after 3 rounds, it goes to quickest aggregate escape time

The ruleset is good, but even so you could have guys playing very conservatively and trying to win with "ride time" in OT. EBI has made the tournaments exciting by doing a lot of things right, mainly (for the most part) selecting guys that will push the action, and by only awarding cash for submission wins.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 18, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kekekela posted:

I think its the best tournament for viewing, especially by someone not familiar with jits at all.
Absolutely true. I've never really watched BJJ, but EBI being all about that sub makes it pretty straightforward to grok. The announcing's pretty decent as well.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I watched EBI 4 was the first jiu-jitsu competition I ever watched and fell in love with it. And having only mma based knowledge it was pretty easy to understand with the commentators being really helpful describing. It is pretty exciting to watch

Honestly EBI 4 & 5 helped push me to go find a bjj school and start training. I haven't done no gi yet (still will be a few months till I can at my school).

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

my white gi is looking pretty (really) dingy no matter how often I wash it.

Is there a better way to get it whiter outside of using bleach?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Seltzer posted:

Slight rant but I swear I think I'm one of two whitebelts with no previous grappling experience at my gym. Seems like everyone has wrestling/judo experience. It makes attempting any takedowns while rolling a pain in the rear end and is honestly a little discouraging, One of the newer whitebelts who I just met did like six years of sambo. On the one hand they're giving me good tips on the other hand if I try anything I'm basically getting dumped or tossed.

I struggled with this for years actually. Training at a place where I was the only person below brown 90% of the time it was hard for them to slow down their reflexes and offense to let me work through the motions fully. The training was great, I just started a year or so too late because I could never catch up to these guys in any meaningful way. It was insanely disheartening at the time.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
So after 4 months of training, I went and visited a friend at a different school and was blown away by how much better the class instruction, class structure, discipline, and teaching was.

I started asking around and found out what I experienced at that school was typically the norm and realized more how the gym I'm currently at is just built around different principles, which aren't really great for someone looking to actively compete. Lot's of really nice and helpful people, but just not geared towards competitors or progressing through concepts in a well developed manner.

I tried out another local gym last week and realized just how behind I was in terms of the basics and understanding concepts and was just surviving by my general athletcism and strength.

Needless to say, I broke my contract today with that school and will be signing up with the new gym tonight.

Really looking forward to this new place and catching up to where I should be in terms of BJJ training.

I'll also be getting a blue GI this time around when signing up as they have set uniform and patch requirements.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

After 4 months of training....[I] was just surviving by my general athletcism and strength.

You and every other person just starting.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Creontes!! :jiggled:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Neon Belly posted:

Creontes!! :jiggled:

two time Creonte checking in :hai:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Surprised no one has come up with a Creonte Top Team rashguard or patch yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mr. Pool posted:

two time Creonte checking in :hai:

i travel for work so I'm like a 4x. I've lost pretty much any real gym loyalty, and given up on any belt progression.

I mean, they're charging me thousands of dollars, we ain't a family or tribe here.