Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

I, as a short person, tried to reverse triangle the 260lbs purple belt today. It didn't work and he wet willied me for my efforts.

You deserved it and thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

JaySB posted:

I, as a short person, tried to reverse triangle the 260lbs purple belt today. It didn't work and he wet willied me for my efforts.
This guy sounds like he owns.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

It's normal to tickle people's feet during a gogoplata attempt, right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Neon Belly posted:

It's normal to tickle people's feet during a gogoplata attempt, right?

just lol if you aren't tickling your opponents 100% of the time

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Xguard86 posted:

What's funny is that Im commuting to Toronto now and just joined a gym there. So I'm going be rolling back up with a new belt after a single class with them. They seem chill so I'm not too worried about being a target but I almost want like an official letter from my home gym to prove I'm not just like buying a belt on Amazon.
I just remembered that last year we had a blue belt from Toronto who was in town for work and was tooling a bunch of us blue belts for the week. He went back to Toronto for the weekend and the following week he was back in our gym with a purple belt on. It made a bunch of us blue belts feel a bit better about getting tooled and we were all happy for him getting promoted since he wasn't being an rear end in a top hat when rolling. He then proceeded to get tooled by a bunch of purples and browns all in good fun and thus the balance of our gym was corrected. You're not an rear end in a top hat so I'm pretty sure all will be right in the jiujitsu realm.

JaySB posted:

Ha, nice try. I've been out for a week with a hyper-extended thumb due to me trying to exert my top pressure on a 260lb brown belt (I'm 160lbs :doh:). He bench pressed and swept me and I was silly to think I could avoid it by posting my arm.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

BJJ Scout and Ben Askren talking about Maia's wrestling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cJp_WA6CXY

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Technique question - how do I finish this choke and does it have a name?

So I'm going for a marcelotine on my right side. Opponent starts grabbing my fingers so I shoot my left arm through and grab my right bicep to form an inverted RNC or no-arm darce. I stay tight enough to stay in place. How do I get a tap from this position? I had a guy there last night for a good 60 sec and couldn't figure out how to seal the deal.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

CommonShore posted:

Technique question - how do I finish this choke and does it have a name?

So I'm going for a marcelotine on my right side. Opponent starts grabbing my fingers so I shoot my left arm through and grab my right bicep to form an inverted RNC or no-arm darce. I stay tight enough to stay in place. How do I get a tap from this position? I had a guy there last night for a good 60 sec and couldn't figure out how to seal the deal.

Something like this: https://youtu.be/diDU7VJ2kxw ? I only briefly watched the video without sound (work) but it seems to be what you are describing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

district of thizz posted:

Something like this: https://youtu.be/diDU7VJ2kxw ? I only briefly watched the video without sound (work) but it seems to be what you are describing.

Yeah that's more or less it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was called "ninja choke" or not.

It seems that mine may have not worked because I rotated too far to send the with the new choking hand in deep for a blood choke, and ending up facing a right angle to my opponent's body. I need to stay straighter and go for the windpipe.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ironically we drilled this choke from side control today.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Ironically we drilled this choke from side control today.

I wish that my gym did stuff like this more often.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

a friend of a friend just got this as a 6 month white belt

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

a friend of a friend just got this as a 6 month white belt

:ughh:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'll tattoo Harvard on my chest and during admissions I'll rip off my shirt and tell them I'll look really dumb the rest of my life if they don't let me in

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
He's going to quit in less than a year. Anectodal evidence: an acquaintance tattooed DO YOU EVEN LIFT? across his entire forearm, worked out for a year or so then gave up. Now he fat

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

There's always Trad Jiu Jitsu then Gracie Jiu Jitsu...

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Jiu jitsu kanji tattoo guy at my first club never made blue

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Does he have any other tattoos? If not, that's even more cringe worthy. I'm guessing he's falls into the category of people that posts JUST WENT TO MY FIRST CLASS JIUJITSU CHANGED MY LIFE type of threads on reddit.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Like one or two other pieces of generic 90s tribal bullshit

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Best part is that they went to a tattoo artist that doesn't know how to write kanji. There are so many of those lines that aren't supposed to touch.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
One of our fresh blue belt students just got this one done. Then he left our gym and started his own jiu-jitsu school.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Why the Harvey Dent tattoo?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
And what's with Jordan Peele?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crumps Brother posted:

One of our fresh blue belt students just got this one done. Then he left our gym and started his own jiu-jitsu school.

Man one of the requirements for blue belt should be attitude - to recognize how much there is left to learn. The only circumstance in which I could get behind a fresh blue belt starting a school is if he was moving somewhere that had no school at all, and even then it would be best to set something up as an affiliate.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The only person at my school with a jiu jitsu tattoo that I'm aware of is a black belt. The idea of doing that at 6 months in is insane. I bought the cheapest rash guard possible for my first no gi gear and I waited about 8 months to get my second (on sale) gi. Just buying a shoyoroll at 6 months seems like too much to me.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CommonShore posted:

Man one of the requirements for blue belt should be attitude - to recognize how much there is left to learn. The only circumstance in which I could get behind a fresh blue belt starting a school is if he was moving somewhere that had no school at all, and even then it would be best to set something up as an affiliate.
Opened in the same drat Midwest town. It was a profoundly stupid thing to do.

Oh poo poo! I forgot his first BJJ tattoo. Here's that one.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 1, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Did my first BJJ class after half a decade hiatus where i've done nothing but counterstrike and weed

i wouldn't call myself rusty

tiny particles of metal and dust, long since having lost all semblance of shape or memory of its previous form would be more accurate, I think

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Did my first BJJ class after half a decade hiatus where i've done nothing but counterstrike and weed

i wouldn't call myself rusty

tiny particles of metal and dust, long since having lost all semblance of shape or memory of its previous form would be more accurate, I think

when do you get your tattoo

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Wangsbig posted:

when do you get your tattoo

I was thinking about a Marcelo portrait on the small of my back, but maybe something more tasteful would be more appropriate?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Get Popovich's chest tattood onto your chest.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Crumps Brother posted:

Oh my God that's tacky

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I once was at a BJJ subonly event and the ref who was dressed in a casual manner had a blackbelt to tie his regular pants.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Opal posted:

Oh my God that's tacky

everything about it is bad.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I was thinking about a Marcelo portrait on the small of my back, but maybe something more tasteful would be more appropriate?

get the number of times you have won a tournament on the small of your back.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

get the number of times you have won a tournament on the small of your back.

I get another skull and crossbones tattooed somewhere you can see when I'm wearing cargo shorts for every time I tomoe nage someone off the mat in competition. The ground is the jungle, I'm a shark thats better than an elephant and you can't swim.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crumps Brother posted:

He's going to get a black belt some day. I know this because he'll never quit jits, because having that tattoo after having quit jits means he'll look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat than he does now.

Or as the tattoo thread would put it, "nice panther."

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

If I were that guy's coach I would intentionally never promote him to black belt. He'd be the worlds only 19 stripe brown belt

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b14_1496275834

Interesting cornering here.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Sure were a lot of n-bombs, I think I only saw white people.... and that soccer kick at the end, I have trouble watching poo poo like that.

Far as BJJ tats, you should be at least a purple belt before getting anything, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
There's tons of tats and quite a few BJJ tats at my gym. But I managed to make it to black belt with no BJJ tattoos. An amazing number of people get them at blue belt and under though. It's especially cringeworthy when it's gym specific and they end up leaving the gym.