Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

it depends how severe it is but youll be fine in the long run generally. they can usually heal without surgery, my friend had one that he recovered from with physical rehab and he was doing hard cardio after 2 months or so and doesnt get any back pain or any problems now. you can probably expect a much longer recovery if you do need surgery

One of our other brown belts is a physical therapist so I'll be talking to him about a gameplan.

My general plan is to drop 25-30lbs to get back around 210 and to work in yoga/Pilates to my lifting and bjj routine to build core strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
an old italian man farted on me today

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gay Horney posted:

an old italian man farted on me today

Oss

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Got the official word from the doc yesterday, Herniated L4L5 with inferior migration causing L5 nerve root compression.

He's signed off on my general rehab plan but I'm trying to get some more clarity from him on what the milestones are that I would need to achieve to get back on the mat.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Competed this past weekend. I lost both matches but I don't consider I really lost. I had only competed twice before this and both times I tapped by the 3 minute mark. This time, for both matches, I manged to last the whole time (5 minutes).

Positive things I take away:
Niether manged to pass my half guard once.
Manged to get back to close guard a few times.
Never was in any danger of a submission.
When I had dominate position I stayed active threatening with submissions (cross choke, baseball choke, ezekiel, omoplata). None were successful but I was setting them up.
Felt more comfortable on the feet than previous matches even though I still got taken down.

What to still work on:
Learn more on grips and positioning when we are standing
Be more active from the back. I felt afterwards I was to defensive and not actively trying to get off my back but more hold the position and shut the opponent down.
Bring a month guard (forgot mine at the gym.)

All in all I had a blast during the two matches. The next one I'm doing will be another IBJJF (this one was by Grapping Games) in August. More time to get better.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just had an amazing workshop with Dan Strauss. A really good in-depth explanation of his butterfly guard A-Game, and even got to have a cheeky beer with him afterwards.

Any UK grapplegoons that get the chance to have him around, you won't be disappointed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Learned a really fun looking move in class and looking for detail on it, I dunno what it's called though.

From a sprawled position, grab the turtled persons cross collar with four fingers in the gi, with your free hand grab their same side pants by the knee, while holding both grips, switch so that your head is into their side. Sit out so you and your opponent are on your backs and basically you bend them over your head like a bow and arrow to create a choke. It's so wonky, but I like those kinds of moves.

Effectively it's like a stock bow and arrow choke in execution, but your using your head to bow them out to get the stretch for the choke instead of sitting on them to get the choke.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 23, 2017

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I did a saddle/heelhook seminar with Craig Jones a few weeks back, his finishing mechanics are awesome. Been murdering everybody with it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Do the people who enter tournaments here try to outpoint people or just go for submissions? The point system is foreign to me at this point but I could see how training to win on points would be a thing.

e- I'm close to being promoted to blue and I think i'd get crushed in competition there that's why I'm thinking of giving it one go beforehand. On the other hand I know I would be super nervous competing and grumpy cutting weight.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 29, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Do the people who enter tournaments here try to outpoint people or just go for submissions? The point system is foreign to me at this point but I could see how training to win on points would be a thing.

e- I'm close to being promoted to blue and I think i'd get crushed in competition there that's why I'm thinking of giving it one go beforehand. On the other hand I know I would be super nervous competing and grumpy cutting weight.

Depends on what you're training for.

If you want to go out there and have fun and see if you can out jujitsu someone don't worry about points and go for submissions and escapes. If you actually really really want to win worry about points, get two points for the take down/guard pass/sweep and stall like the wind, or go enter a submission only tournament and not worry about points.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
You can make all the plans you want but it really depends on how the match unfolds.

Say you're a couple of points up with 2 minutes left and your forearms are burning and it feels like you're going to vomit. You're much more likely to be successful at defending your points and not being submitted than you are at submitting someone especially with all the risks - losing position, burning up all your energy, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tonight at Judo the head instructor got me to demo Nage no Kata and then...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Aim to finish with a submission but if you end up in a dominant position with a points advantage, just relax. If the guy does nothing you'll win, if the guy panics and goes berzerk trying to escape he'll make lots of exploitable mistakes.

Nice.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

This sequence is pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6bItkm9YJ0

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
I recently got my bjj blue belt, (as much for time served as for my actual knowledge, ha), and the blue belt and up classes at my school are a lot more free-form than the fundamental classes. We get a lot more time to work on our own stuff than I'm used to, and it's really made me think about how I drill moves. For a long long time I was the classic "ten low resistance reps and then try it in rolling" type of driller, which almost never works and is probably why it took me so long to get my blue. But now I've got a shiny new rank, and my available training time is less that it used to be due to life getting in the way, I'd like to make the most of my drilling time and actually, you know, get better.

I have started doing some super slow-mo/low resistance reps to get the shape and feel of the move down, then some super targeted rolling focused on that specific move/position, and that's definitely helping. Do you guys have any tips to make the most of my drilling?

Dr. Miracle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 2, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Miracle posted:

I recently got my bjj blue belt, (as much for time served as for my actual knowledge, ha), and the blue belt and up classes at my school are a lot more free-form than the fundamental classes. We get a lot more time to work on our own stuff than I'm used to, and it's really made me think about how I drill moves. For a long long time I was the classic "ten low resistance reps and then try it in rolling" type of driller, which almost never works and is probably why it took me so long to get my blue. But now I've got a shiny new rank, and my available training time is less that it used to be due to life getting in the way, I'd like to make the most of my drilling time and actually, you know, get better.

I have started doing some super slow-mo/low resistance reps to get the shape and feel of the move down, then some super targeted rolling focused on that specific move/position, and that's definitely helping. Do you guys have any tips to make the most of my drilling?

This is always a good question.

The best way I can think of (that I should probably do myself) is the notebook method.

So at this point, you should basically know what your favorite/bread and butter subs/sweeps/positions are. As you are rolling, you'll find that resistances from your sparring partners will be beating your technique. Write that poo poo down in your notebook and then ask your coach on how to beat that. Use your drilling time to focus on those specific resistances. Try then out against white belts to sharpen the techniques in situations where you can control your opponent to give you those specific resistances (that's what they are for!) and bridge that to using those techniques against your peers. Write down what's working and what's not, and continue this iterative process. If life is getting in the way of training, then you're going to have to reduce your game to a few things that you do very, very well.

I think you have a really good idea on how to drill, don't get discouraged.

Basically, I have no idea, I just wrote down a lot of words. :cripes:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've got a grappling BFF at my gym, and we start our rolls hard and competitively, but when situations that we've been drilling emerge, we intentionally give up the reactions necessary to repeat the techniques we've drilled in a more aggressive context. It's cool.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've got a grappling BFF at my gym, and we start our rolls hard and competitively, but when situations that we've been drilling emerge, we intentionally give up the reactions necessary to repeat the techniques we've drilled in a more aggressive context. It's cool.

I have this with some guys re: foot stuff. Which is super engaging for me as it's technically complex, but you can use your brains to figure your way through leg entanglements.

It's great.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Drewjitsu posted:

This is always a good question.

The best way I can think of (that I should probably do myself) is the notebook method.

So at this point, you should basically know what your favorite/bread and butter subs/sweeps/positions are. As you are rolling, you'll find that resistances from your sparring partners will be beating your technique. Write that poo poo down in your notebook and then ask your coach on how to beat that. Use your drilling time to focus on those specific resistances. Try then out against white belts to sharpen the techniques in situations where you can control your opponent to give you those specific resistances (that's what they are for!) and bridge that to using those techniques against your peers. Write down what's working and what's not, and continue this iterative process. If life is getting in the way of training, then you're going to have to reduce your game to a few things that you do very, very well.

I think you have a really good idea on how to drill, don't get discouraged.

Basically, I have no idea, I just wrote down a lot of words. :cripes:

That's a good idea, thanks. I guess the next skill to learn would be the ability to write BJJ notes that make sense to me the next day...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

CommonShore posted:

Tonight at Judo the head instructor got me to demo Nage no Kata and then...

yo congrats common! Unfortunately it will now be a while before you can use the same belt in both arts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

yo congrats common! Unfortunately it will now be a while before you can use the same belt in both arts.

Thanks. Yeah that's the downside here, and it probably won't happen unless I get my BJJ black belt. My new progress goal is to be Black-Purple by the end of 2021.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Had THE best judo practice tonight. I'm in at a university club so during the summer our practices are usually pared down to a few older blackbelts and one or two lower ranks. 2 hour practice is mostly or entirely randori, 60/40 or 50/50 split tachiwaza/newaza, not much instruction.

Tonight was three blackbelts from our club (and I'm the youngest in my mid-thirties.) There were also two young shodans from out of town who are apparently here for the summer. One of them was a great guy. Even at only 5'11" and 175 I'm also the biggest BB at my club. This guy was a few inches taller than me and probably 230 so it was nice to play someone taller and reasonably heavier than me. I was surprised both by how much easier it is to get under someone when you're starting there, and also how much harder it is to lift someone who actually weighs more than you. He also seemed to have a great attitude so I think everyone took it a little easier on him.

His buddy though... He was about my size, looked a little out of shape, and was wearing a gi with the "I participated" patch from some international tournament a couple years ago. I've started to notice a trend among softened judoka who drop in at a new club wearing a tournament gi. Anyway this guy was the most abrasive person I've ever met. Utterly contrarian, anything said or any opinion offered, whether directed at him or not, was instantly argued with, no matter how trivial. The brief time we spent working specific throwing technique he was an endless stream of unsolicited advice. And namedropping like a motherfucker. I don't think he's actually practiced with any of the high level players he analyzed, I got more the impression of someone who watches a lot of youtube videos.

This was pretty much confirmed when we started sparring. Dude got absolutely DESTROYED. I had the first round of newaza with him and it took all of 20 seconds to catch him with an armbar. I thought maybe he was from a club that doesn't spend much time on the ground but no. When we switched to tachiwaza He was hard to put flat on his back but easy to get off his feet. Highlight was looking over and seeing our 135lb 58 year old head coach stand him straight upside down before dumping him on his back with a beautiful yoko tomoe. Eventually he just started sitting rounds out, said he wasn't "feeling his judo" today. Normally I would have felt a bit like a bully but come on man, if you're gonna talk a mean game you better be able to back it up.

After practice I genuinely told him I hope he comes back. His personality was so absurd it circled around to humorous. And it was nice to have a younger player with rank. Maybe its wrong but I'm more willing to go hard and less concerned about injuring a 22 year old than a 58 year old.

What a fun sport.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm looking on Amazon for another pair of Nogi shorts and I spotted some $15 Muay Thai shorts and I'm having to resist buying them. Not very practical and I'd look like a dork but I've always wanted a pair. There is just no good place to wear them outside of a muay thai ring. I might just say gently caress it and throw some Wushu pants on top of the order.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
My dad brought me a couple of muay thai shorts from Thailand because he knows I like some kinda martial arts. They're definitely cooler than whatever dumb spats I have, but they don't seem like they'd hold up for long if used for grappling. Also probably wouldn't be feel great for training partners, because they're all ornate and have way too many layers.

I did 3 BJJ classes in the past week after being out for well over a year with a hip injury that rest and physical therapy hasn't been able to shake. So far it's been a complete non-factor in BJJ, though I try to help that along by being protective of my hip and trying to avoid some of my worst habits (namely using flexibility to create scrambles and to attack with omoplatas at all times). The classes were at a club I hadn't been to before (my old one moved further away, raised its prices, got new ownership, and lost all of its UFC fighters and probably its most senior grapplers), and it was super great, but I think I'm going to be taking advantage of every Free Class offer within travelling distance for the rest of the month before settling on a place to train. One white belt with a couple of stripes got super protective of his territory (or just decided he needed to win at all costs), kneeing the poo poo out of me, cranking on hopeless guillotines that were uncomfortable but nowhere near complete, etc., which I hope won't be the norm when I visit other places, but everyone else was nice and helpful. Grappling is so fun. :)

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
2:27 Sao Paolo - Fábio Pulita X Fernando Macedo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2-9N8dRw0

What made the guy on top tap out in the end? Was it an armbar? I'm a judoka so I'm pretty oblivious to fancy BJJ moves.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Cyber Sandwich posted:

What made the guy on top tap out in the end? Was it an armbar? I'm a judoka so I'm pretty oblivious to fancy BJJ moves.

Yeah, at ~1:30, he traps the wrist/elbow, and gets his leg over the head for the armbar.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Miracle posted:

That's a good idea, thanks. I guess the next skill to learn would be the ability to write BJJ notes that make sense to me the next day...

I just started using a number system for specific limbs.

I think it was:

Head is 1
Left arm 2
Left leg 3
Right leg 4
Right arm 5 (like a clock as you would be looking at someone).

That way you're constantly not having to write out "put your right hand on his left leg and then step over his head..."

But then again, I'm a giant nerd who's lazy and obsessed with efficiency (because I'm lazy).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 9, 2022

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You're also a genius fyi.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

MalleusDei posted:

Yeah, at ~1:30, he traps the wrist/elbow, and gets his leg over the head for the armbar.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Drewjitsu posted:

Because I am a giant sperg, I just started using a number system for specific limbs.

I think it was:

Head is 1
Left arm 2
Left leg 3
Right leg 4
Right arm 5 (like a clock as you would be looking at someone).

That way you're constantly not having to write out "put your right hand on his left leg and then step over his head..."

But then again, I'm a giant nerd who's lazy and obsessed with efficiency (because I'm lazy).

Naw that's a great idea and I'm going to do that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm glad. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to jot down complex positions.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ihop posted:

After practice I genuinely told him I hope he comes back. His personality was so absurd it circled around to humorous. And it was nice to have a younger player with rank. Maybe its wrong but I'm more willing to go hard and less concerned about injuring a 22 year old than a 58 year old.

What a fun sport.

Well thats one of the good things about Judo, you can go full speed and 99.9% of the time, worst case scenario is he gets ipponed and no one gets hurt.
I did a training camp back when I was a yellow belt and one of the olympians that came down to train absolutely threw the poo poo out of me. No mercy, didn't let me try things out or feel things out, just straight up wrecked me. Of course, no harm came to due to my ability to breakfall, but it made me realise what a good club I came from as they'd never do that to me and how hard you can really go without getting any actual injury.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The worst injury I ever got in judo was stubbing my toe trying to backstep out of a foot sweep.

If you know how to fall, things like uchi-mata-makkikomi (I knew I was in trouble when I saw his leg that stays planted in the ground leave the ground...)look crazy, but turn out to be pretty safe falls.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

The worst injury I ever got in judo was stubbing my toe trying to backstep out of a foot sweep.

If you know how to fall, things like uchi-mata-makkikomi (I knew I was in trouble when I saw his leg that stays planted in the ground leave the ground...)look crazy, but turn out to be pretty safe falls.

The better the person throwing, the less those hurt. I got harai makkikomied by a muscley yellow belt on a drill not long ago and it succcckkkkkked. He left about 6 inches of space.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

A better explanation, cheers.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

The better the person throwing, the less those hurt. I got harai makkikomied by a muscley yellow belt on a drill not long ago and it succcckkkkkked. He left about 6 inches of space.

Yep, popped my shoulder out being thrown half-speed by an old man white belt, was just awkward timing (and my shoulder was hosed up anyways and kept popping out randomly, but the throw didn't help)

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Any insight on how to train strength while having the main focus still in BJJ? Mainly I'm wondering how often should I do BJJ in a week and how often go to the gym. Also which exercises to do at the gym.

I'm a white belt and I've been doing BJJ since the last September. I had a few months break from training because I was abroad but during summer I've gotten back into it and training 4-6 times a week. At the same time I've really started to skip on gym because I'm feeling I might exhaust myself. I'd still like to get stronger, especially in a way that would benefit my grappling, but I'm not sure how to go at it. Diet isn't really a problem as I eat pretty healthily and can also put on weight. Atm I'm in a pretty lean condition.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's up to the individual really. I gave up lifting/running the first few months of bjj because I was exhausted and didn't feel like paying other gym costs. Now that my body is more used to the routine I lift and run, but less days than before. I'll just state the obvious- I would recommend lifting on off days or at the very least after class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mursupitsku posted:

Any insight on how to train strength while having the main focus still in BJJ? Mainly I'm wondering how often should I do BJJ in a week and how often go to the gym. Also which exercises to do at the gym.

I'm a white belt and I've been doing BJJ since the last September. I had a few months break from training because I was abroad but during summer I've gotten back into it and training 4-6 times a week. At the same time I've really started to skip on gym because I'm feeling I might exhaust myself. I'd still like to get stronger, especially in a way that would benefit my grappling, but I'm not sure how to go at it. Diet isn't really a problem as I eat pretty healthily and can also put on weight. Atm I'm in a pretty lean condition.

Low reps with lots of rest in between sets. Compound movements, squat, deadlift, turkish getups, mobility work.