Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for you guys: What functional movements do you incorporate into your warmups that loosen up your lower back, or help strengthen your lower back?

My back was sore as poo poo this morning and I could barely roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Question for you guys: What functional movements do you incorporate into your warmups that loosen up your lower back, or help strengthen your lower back?

Lying back twists and cat stretches.

edit: pretty much this exactly. https://apmhealth.com/educational-resources/healthy-living-tips-and-resources/2-uncategorised/185-6-stretches-to-help-back-pain-ebook

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Good stuff. Thanks.

I had a disc slip a few years back and I do NOT want to go down that road again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
How much do foam rollers actually help? I have and use one but I can't tell if it's a placebo effect or not.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm still waiting to learn why Jay's life is so sick??

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

i supplement with yoga. sounds like you should try it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I'm still waiting to learn why Jay's life is so sick??

I did a thing once that enabled me to be relatively financially stable for the immediate future, thereby giving me tons of time to train and pursue other live adventures.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Seltzer posted:

How much do foam rollers actually help? I have and use one but I can't tell if it's a placebo effect or not.

They do a thing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

JaySB posted:

I did a thing once that enabled me to be relatively financially stable for the immediate future, thereby giving me tons of time to train and pursue other live adventures.

Ah man, I was hoping you were going to be Demi Lovato

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Ah man, I was hoping you were going to be Demi Lovato

We're cool for the Summer...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

I show up for a scheduled class and the instructor doesn't show up. A couple times I've had to go get the key from someone and just open the gym because people have been waiting.

Oh, this is different. I was under the impression that someone else was covering for them.

Yeah, I'd complain.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Seltzer posted:

Foam rollers can be good, but you can also use them incorrectly. This seems like good info.

https://youtu.be/Bq6NcAoQDSk

That whole channel is worth watching

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

It's mostly this.

Well that and it's super annoying when I show up for a scheduled class and the instructor doesn't show up. A couple times I've had to go get the key from someone and just open the gym because people have been waiting.

Talk to the owner directly about it and specifically mention this stuff (eg opening the gym for the guy who shows up really late etc).

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I started BJJ with a blue belt in judo and got my blue belt in BJJ after 13 months of training in 2016. I have a 3 month old baby now so for the past year I've gone from training 4x-5x/week to 1-2x/week to hardly at all (:confuoot:). I'm hoping to get back to at least 2x/week sometime soon.

I've felt my fight IQ has gotten dumber since I've been a blue, but I rationalize that it's because I'm opening up my game and getting caught more (maybe?).

butros posted:

Pretty sure I separated my shoulder on Monday. Guy caught me with a fireman carry and instead of rolling through to my back I landed square on my shoulder. No audible pop, and in the moment while it hurt I still had range of motion so kept rolling through the rest of class, but as soon as I cooled down it started hurting pretty bad right at the point where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Two days on and it hurts worst if I poke it, if I try to reach behind myself as if being kimuraed and also when I tense myself to sit or stand up (getting out of bed is particularly painful).

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tuesday anyways so am going to ask him to take a look then but am hoping it's just low level sprain or bruising. In that best case, any guess at how long RICEing it before I can at least go back to drilling? Weeks? Months?

I separated my shoulder a few years back (six years ago?) falling out of a tree during a bachelor party. Even up to now my shoulder will click when I vigorously rotate it while rolling or throwing punches. I stayed off the mats for a few months but during my downtime I did minimal rehab which I now regret since my shoulder clicking gets annoying (not currently a hindrance but I'm sure my older self will have problems with it). I would recommend you go see a doctor and take rehab seriously to avoid future issues.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

starkebn posted:

Foam rollers can be good, but you can also use them incorrectly. This seems like good info.

Thanks! Any thoughts on that massage hook that seems to be all the rage? I should probably saddle up some money and get a serious massage at some point but I've been getting by with lacrosse balls and the roller for now.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Thanks! Any thoughts on that massage hook that seems to be all the rage? I should probably saddle up some money and get a serious massage at some point but I've been getting by with lacrosse balls and the roller for now.

I have the hook. It works pretty well it's just difficult to apply enough pressure to yourself to work out a knot and not tense up.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

the back buddy has been more hit than miss for me and I tire of having to explain that it isn't a weird sex thing to people

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

Apparently I've been using my foam roller incorrectly for a bit now. Thanks!

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I wrestled a bit in HS, but have never done BJJ aside from rolling with a couple old friends I trust (and usually getting demolished).

Just found out they just opened a 10p moon like 5 minutes from my apt so I might swing by next week and see what's up. looking at their social media it's only been running for a little over a month, I'm hoping there's some other fresh white belts so I don't just get thrown to the wolves to start.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheTofuShop posted:

I wrestled a bit in HS, but have never done BJJ aside from rolling with a couple old friends I trust (and usually getting demolished).

Just found out they just opened a 10p moon like 5 minutes from my apt so I might swing by next week and see what's up. looking at their social media it's only been running for a little over a month, I'm hoping there's some other fresh white belts so I don't just get thrown to the wolves to start.

My experience has been the opposite. It's the higher belts that are actually strong enough/good enough to not hurt you.

My experience with white belts, especially the ones who've been doing it a year or two, is that they're super into trying to own the new guy.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

Depending on your wrestling, I'd say you'll probably treat 10th Planet whitebelts like little baby ragdolls if you can start standing

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The r/relationships thread rarely crosses over into the world of the grappling thread but read this one post from reddit

I (20f) just got my blackbelt in BJJ. My BF (24m) of 6 months took it had it stitched with pink Japanese characters that he doesn't even know what they mean. He wont apologize as he was "thinking of me."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&pagenumber=2859&perpage=40#post483496645

Don't know if it's real since she claims a six year black belt at 20 year old in our affiliation (which is possible but only for the best competitors). I think I would have heard of a 20 year old female in our affiliation tearing up the competition circuit so much that she got a bb in 6 years.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

The r/relationships thread rarely crosses over into the world of the grappling thread but read this one post from reddit

I (20f) just got my blackbelt in BJJ. My BF (24m) of 6 months took it had it stitched with pink Japanese characters that he doesn't even know what they mean. He wont apologize as he was "thinking of me."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&pagenumber=2859&perpage=40#post483496645

Don't know if it's real since she claims a six year black belt at 20 year old in our affiliation (which is possible but only for the best competitors). I think I would have heard of a 20 year old female in our affiliation tearing up the competition circuit so much that she got a bb in 6 years.

Has to be fake right? You'd have to be an absolute world beater on the skill level of BJ Penn, Geo Martinez, and Shaolin to do it that quick.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Defenestrategy posted:

Has to be fake right? You'd have to be an absolute world beater on the skill level of BJ Penn, Geo Martinez, and Shaolin to do it that quick.
Dominyka Obelenyte got her brown belt from Marcelo at 17 and her black belt around 20 so it is possible but you would have to be a phenom like Dominyka to get it. Gianni got it at 21 and I suspect Nicky Ryan will eventually be a young black belt too. But it is so rare that I am sure I would have heard of her especially within my own affiliation.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

Dominyka Obelenyte

quote:

World Champion (2015 weight & absolute black, 2014 & 2013 brown, 2011 absolute purple, 2010 blue)
Pan American Champion (2016/2015 black, 2014 brown, 2013 absolute purple)

Sounds like a world beater to me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Reading the whole post it sounds kinda fake. I thought schools that make you go through a gauntlet make you go through it at every belt level? The timing of things like ''you're a blackbelt now, go and teach the women's class'' sounds kinda weird. I dunno, it might just be me but the phrasing is weird.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

Reading the whole post it sounds kinda fake. I thought schools that make you go through a gauntlet make you go through it at every belt level? The timing of things like ''you're a blackbelt now, go and teach the women's class'' sounds kinda weird. I dunno, it might just be me but the phrasing is weird.

Would somebody really do that? Lie on the internet to get attention? I don't believe it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Parts of it sound plausible and parts don’t. Having a weird semi-magical attitude about belts seems pretty normal. If she’s some kind of super-competitor she wouldn’t have a boyfriend who doesn’t train, because she wouldn’t have a social life outside of the gym. Maybe she trains at a mcdojo and the promotion standards are low?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

My gym doesn't have a gauntlet for blue belt and it's optional for purple and brown.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh also my school does gauntlet, but only people with higher belts get to swing at you, so you don't go through it at black belt.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think the gauntlet it's pointless hazing, just to get that conversation started. I basically talked my professor out of doing it at his new school.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The gauntlet is dumb, doesn't everybody get their asses kicked enough on the mats?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Do you just run through a tunnel of people and get smacked and hit cause we did that poo poo as high schoolers welcoming and being welcomed to the varsity team but your telling me grown rear end men do this too?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You get hit with belts. Grown men and women.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Actually, while we're on the subject, who here cares for the gauntlet? I'd really rather be doing a shark tank or a half hour of rolls with all kinds of people starting me in bad positions or something. The belt whipping is just plain hazing to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

Actually, while we're on the subject, who here cares for the gauntlet? I'd really rather be doing a shark tank or a half hour of rolls with all kinds of people starting me in bad positions or something. The belt whipping is just plain hazing to me.

I think it's stupid, and it's optional at my BJJ club, but I'm not going to be the only one who doesn't go through when everyone else does. I've also only hit someone through a gauntlet once, and that was because he insisted that I personally get in line with a belt, so :shrug:. Every other time I've just declined to participate.

At Judo everyone gets a free throw on you. I like that tradition better - white belts in the front, all the way up to the black belts at the back! It becomes a theatrical thing because once we get to the senior belts everyone is is watching and expecting big theatrical or esoteric throws. Sometimes I feint something big and then just tap them down with a foot sweep when they flinch.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8maLOebuHMc

I don't get it either.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I think it's stupid, and it's optional at my BJJ club, but I'm not going to be the only one who doesn't go through when everyone else does. I've also only hit someone through a gauntlet once, and that was because he insisted that I personally get in line with a belt, so :shrug:. Every other time I've just declined to participate.

At Judo everyone gets a free throw on you. I like that tradition better - white belts in the front, all the way up to the black belts at the back! It becomes a theatrical thing because once we get to the senior belts everyone is is watching and expecting big theatrical or esoteric throws. Sometimes I feint something big and then just tap them down with a foot sweep when they flinch.

At my judo dojo only higher belts get to throw. It might be nice if everyone got a shot.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Fabio Gurgel was one of the first guys to do it, and this is what he thinks:

He expressed his opinion on his blog (translated from Portuguese):

quote:

Perhaps my biggest mistake and that must have cost me hundreds of students was The Gauntlet .

It all started as a joke in my gym at the Federal Club where I began teaching classes alone in 1988, (my master’s gym did not have this custom), I’m not sure where I got this terrible idea but the fact is that I used it for a long time and it has spread in jiu jitsu at a frightening speed, possibly other teachers like me started on their own and maybe as many others I have somehow influenced, to those I ask my sincere apologies, however the fact is that this ritual became part of the jiu-jitsu academy’s environment, the students endured it and even liked it because it seemed like a test like the ones we see in war movies where military barracks prepare their soldiers to face the difficulties that are to come,the students felt worthy of that new belt for having endured that beating that in the end had no purpose.

Time passed and jiu-jitsu academies turned increasingly to the competition and always prioritizing the participation of tough students felt no need to change the promotion party after all being tough was almost a must, and what was a simple beating for a guy accustomed to suffering in jiu jitsu training for competition?

One fine day I had an experience that made me rethink everything in this respect, I had been studying and every day more understanding that we were moving away from what jiu jitsu needed in terms of offering jiu jitsu for everyone and not just for the class but at a promotion party we had the presence of the mother of a student who would be promoted on that day, she was at the beginning all proud probably expecting a glamorous ceremony (alias as it should be) when suddenly the “Gauntlet” was formed , shouts of “Uh he will die” were chanted by all the almost 100 students who were on the mat, and there was the kid going through that insanity, his mother was terrified and told his father that they should report it in a police station! The father was torn between the pride of seeing his son win the situation and conquer the dreamed belt and the one of calming the mother, the son was promoted and his happiness caused that the mother gave up to launching a complaint and only accepted to congratulate the son, but that for me was the straw and the proof that something very wrong was happening and that it was necessary to change.

Never again did I allow this to happen in my gym, but now the test is not resistance but technical, the belt exams have taken the place of the gauntlet and the result is arguably better, my students are submitted to a fair test and which confronts them with what really matters if my school is managing to teach them a good jiu-jitsu.

This change has not happened in isolation and therefore I can not attribute the growth of my academy to her alone, I have already told you about some changes that I have implemented in my school and that all together produce the result I have today, but I have a certainty, the gauntlet should be abolished from all jiu-jitsu schools in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I don't like or dislike the gauntlet. It's kind of silly but I'm not declaring it terrible hazing. I think people get too worked up one way or the other about them. We don't usually do gauntlets but there was a time when they were more common at our gym. No one ever throws hard except for your close friends. We've never had new black belts run the gauntlet. So that's another doubt in my mind about that r/relationship story being from a Renzo lineage black belt.