Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My professor who taught that to me referenced BJ Penn’s drat Good Guard when I asked him but most YouTube vids under that seem to be no-gi.

I love that setup though - when he taught it to me we went over about five or six submission endpoints - you can go for choke armbar triangle, or if you hip out like you said you can armbar or omoplata or keylock depending on if he tries to pull out and at what angle he goes at. I do find it way easier in gi to control because of that collar grip, nogi is much more challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I guess you could kind of reference the cutting arm bar.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

What's it called when you have someone in your guard, you overhook an arm and then trap it by grabbing their cross collar, then you push off their hip on the same side and turn over / extend their arm to arm bar it? I want to watch a video that goes over the details.

Arm Wrap Arm Bar/Arm Bar from the Arm Wrap. Weirdly I couldn't find a video that was good, so here's Kurt Osiander with a cool variation by using the close collar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ge8pEvetqY

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So mini-update if anyone cares. I got a knee support called Genutrain by Bauerfeind to wear. It's pretty solid and I really like it after a few sessions. Stays on much better and gives way better support for my knee compared to the no-name brand one I got at a Walmart equivalent.

It's a bit pricey but yeah it's worth the cash. Also thankfully, per the doctor, I don't have any torn ligaments like I thought I did from an 18hr long mountain hike I did last year (where my body fatigued out 14 hours in and had me twisting both knees as a result). Go me and my dumb choices on weekend activities.

Edit - Also there's these like really flexible rod/supports that don't limit any movement of the knee in any direction at all which is great. Overall it's a really comfortable support and I like it a lot.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 26, 2018

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
My first time to this thread, checking in from St Paul MN. Non-competitive blue belt BJJ no stripes (2yrs) with little to no athletic background previous... loving it!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Thanks guys

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

What's it called when you have someone in your guard, you overhook an arm and then trap it by grabbing their cross collar, then you push off their hip on the same side and turn over / extend their arm to arm bar it? I want to watch a video that goes over the details.

I would call it a cutting armbar or reverse armbar from overhook closed guard, and you might be able to find good details by looking for the Williams guard version

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vashro posted:

My first time to this thread, checking in from St Paul MN. Non-competitive blue belt BJJ no stripes (2yrs) with little to no athletic background previous... loving it!

heya!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

here's a good no-nonsense no-gi closed guard overhook video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMfmOEu5V0

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If you guys were to put together a video or videos to try and attract people to BJJ, what would you put in them? How would you make it sound interesting or different without being petty and making GBS threads on other martial arts?

(Or how would you poo poo on other arts subtly and indirectly, I guess?)

I don't think there are really any good videos on youtube to send to a curious friend or co-worker that won't make them run away screaming. I have an idea in mind already but I'm looking for input.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you guys were to put together a video or videos to try and attract people to BJJ, what would you put in them? How would you make it sound interesting or different without being petty and making GBS threads on other martial arts?

I don't think there are really any good videos on youtube to send to a curious friend or co-worker that won't make them run away screaming. I have an idea in mind already but I'm looking for input.

Avoid videos of guys with cauliflower ear. The guys at my workplace thought it was weird.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Probably stuff from the early UFC

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Well if they're goons call BJJ "The (not) dead gay ivory tower of martial arts"

I'd say find a really fast paced high level competitive match that wasn't just a stall fest, but I don't watch high level BJJ often because it tends to be a stall fest with one really cool movement that decided the match.

I guess if I wanted to get someone to try it I'd say something like "It's a real fun sport thing where you learn and practice to break people for realseys."

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 28, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Show them cool judo and sambo clips and then lie and say BJJ is basically the same thing

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What's your goal? Are you trying to tell them more about the sport and what you do or are you trying to convince them to come train with you?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The purpose is just that there should be a video out there that you can send to people if they ask you about it which makes it sound cool and interesting. I will sneak in a plug for my clothing label at the end but otherwise it's just a public service. My current understanding from reddit is that when your co-worker asks about it, you send them a video where a bunch of brazilians sweat into each others mouths in slow motion and then joe rogan narrates it while this pseudo-inspirational music plays in the background.

I'm thinking like an animated explainer video with short videos embedded in it, I wanted to make one of those for my portfolio anyway. The whole thing would probably be very short, I don't think I'd want it to be longer than 2 minutes.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Show them cool judo and sambo clips and then lie and say BJJ is basically the same thing

I was actually thinking this. I'd have to pretend that it's at least 30-40% standing techniques to make it look cooler than it is, so I'd need to find footage of sick throws hit in BJJ comps and then over-represent them. If you want people to think it's badass you'd probably want to make it look more like john wick than what it really is at most places.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the whole 'smaller dude triumphing over large dude' angle sells really well. the thing that hooked me was being absolutely dominated by a skinny kid as an adult. i couldn't do anything. feeling that helpless is something i didn't ever want to feel again, yet i feel it all the time... but i'm getting better allegedly

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have my dubbed homemade highlight VHS featuring Gracies in Action 1 and 2 and UFCs 1-4.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Maybe a video explaining the scoring for competition bjj, and the various types of positions and submissions, with highlights of each. Preferably with examples of smaller guys executing the scoring move/sub on bigger opponents. Possibly with very brief text descriptions of the mechanisms of the subs.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ask if they like Judo but also like Brazilian booties.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Marcelo Garcia highlight video

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX23PKDGcXk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The coolest and most marketable aspect of BJJ is the variety of body type and participatory styles available to it. Show a mix of old black and white clips of the Gracies, stuff of people training, big guys fighting small guys, chill people, women, crazy crap like Garry Tonon doing turtle spins and eating people's legs etc.

If you include one MMA clip it 100% needs to be the staredown between puffy action figure Rick Story and sad old man Demian Maia, followed by Maia making Story's head explode.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Genki Sudo's old tournament where he wrecks guys in California and makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-tkN4bFYc

Edit : I didn't even know BJJ was a thing first time I saw that vid and thought it was the coolest thing ever. For all I knew, I thought it was some weird fight wrestling and didn't know there were classes teaching the stuff worldwide.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 28, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Show them Garry Tonon vs Palhares highlights
Galvao breakdancing on that dude
Jacare highlights

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbpJ1pr_wG8

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's weird seeing Jacare with hair. I wasn't prepared for that when I went to his highlights.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That Genki Sudo vid, and the Big Nog vs Bob Sapp vid are what got me into BJJ back when they first hit the internet

:thumbsup:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I got into UFC with TUF 1, after that started watching PPVs. Joe Rogan's commentary taught me the positions and submissions. I think there was something slow and systematic about it that appealed to me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Fun story for all of you.

A guy who used to train at my friend's gym basically lost his mind. He ended up being less than politely asked to never come back. He then promptly promoted himself to a brown belt and is advertising it as such on his social media.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What was the incident that they asked him to leave over?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hey guys, looking some quick white belt tips

Been training for about two months now, trying to get in at least three classes a week and just looking for tips/perspective on endurance and cardio. I'm usually dead the next day, and I usually blow up after about my fourth round of rolling during class. Any tips for improving endurance, or any perspective on how long it takes to get used to frequent training. I feel crappy if I skip a day because I feel exhausted but don't want to unreasonably push myself.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Fellow lovely white belt here. I saw an improvement when I upped my classes a bit from 3x to 5x per week. Your body adjusts to the stress. Also, I have been trying to slow myself down and not make every roll a struggle to the death which helps.

Also, make sure you’re getting enough sleep (7+ hours) and eating enough as both make a big difference in recovery for me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Been training for about two months now, trying to get in at least three classes a week and just looking for tips/perspective on endurance and cardio. I'm usually dead the next day, and I usually blow up after about my fourth round of rolling during class. Any tips for improving endurance, or any perspective on how long it takes to get used to frequent training. I feel crappy if I skip a day because I feel exhausted but don't want to unreasonably push myself.

I (re)started in August last year and until the last two months or so I had a different soreness every week. Just keep pushing during rolling, stay active even under an opponent and the fitness will come. I initially overtrained and exacerbated a back problem, I tried to train every day, or multiple times a day. 3 times a week is a good level to start with, I'm now up to 4-5 classes a week with a 1.5 hour open mat on most Saturdays as well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Conserve your energy.

This doesn't mean stop fighting, or be passive. But use less strength and explosive power in your moves. Consciously relax your muscles. Breath, regularly and deeply-- especially when getting crushed.

Conversely, keep moving. ALWAYS do the technique properly-- don't slack off or take shortcuts when you're gassed. When in a bad position, make the defensive movements required.

Fighting like this is better for your BJJ, your technique will improve more quickly when you don't use strength to force things. Your fitness will also improve, as you'll end up moving more. Instead of gassing partway through, you'll be able to go at a good pace through all your rolls. And you'll have some gas in the tank for when you need a strong bridge or a doubleleg.

Does your school do conditioning drills? Ideally you have other ways of conditioning aside from rolling

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm getting back into going 3x a week and switching out one day for an advance we have (more rolling, more drilling, higher level techniques) and it has been great. I wish i could go 5 nights a week but having over a 40 mile round trip drive is too much.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What was the incident that they asked him to leave over?

He went online at like 3am clearly high on something and made a video challenging Floyd Mayweather to a fight in the gym, it was like a 30min rambling. He tagged the gym owner as well as a bunch of other people. He was also behind 4 months on membership dues.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How much are you eating? How much are you sleeping?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Drewjitsu posted:

How much are you eating? How much are you sleeping?

I do about 2500 calories a day 40/20/30 and sleep about 7-8 hours.

JaySB posted:

He went online at like 3am clearly high on something and made a video challenging Floyd Mayweather to a fight in the gym, it was like a 30min rambling. He tagged the gym owner as well as a bunch of other people. He was also behind 4 months on membership dues.

Wait, did you just have a run-in with Charlie Zelenoff? Are you in CA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I try and read anything Joel Jamieson writes (website is 8weeksout) - he has a great conditioning book called ultimate mma conditioning that has a lot of useful information about conditioning.

Main thing I started doing to improve conditioning after it was bought a heart rate monitor and started doing cycling for 30+ minutes keeping the heartrate between 120-150bpm. Helped endurance and recovery rate a lot, I had decent conditioning before but after focusing on cardiac output was able to go through all training and still feel fine both in BJJ and Judo.

He has a free 4 week conditioning program that is fairly easy to follow as well.