Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My teammate rolls in this sometimes. Is both awful and awesoem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I did this submission that I'm not sure the name of it. From bottom half guard, I did a kinda brabo choke where I grabbed his bottom gi and wrapped it around his neck. Not sure what to call it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

spb posted:

I did this submission that I'm not sure the name of it. From bottom half guard, I did a kinda brabo choke where I grabbed his bottom gi and wrapped it around his neck. Not sure what to call it

a gi choke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spb posted:

Sounds like a aranha muito grávida

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

i've done some research on police combative programs and here are my conclusions:

1. all cops are class traitors
2. throw molotov cocktails at them

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

You're not wrong.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks yes its gi choke number 27

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually its a strangle, not a choke.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

had my third class free roll yesterday with a guy with 50lbs and 4-6 inches on me. in the 5 minute round he submitted me with an americana, his fist ground in my neck, smothered me with his lat, and then finally i got to watch as he slowly pulled his gi out from his belt and proceeded to strangle me with it. i started laughing at how ridiculous the whole thing was when he pulled his gi out because i didn't know that was even a thing you could do. this is so insanely humbling/fun.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

i got to watch as he slowly pulled his gi out from his belt and proceeded to strangle me with it. i started laughing at how ridiculous the whole thing was when he pulled his gi out because i didn't know that was even a thing you could do.

Just wait till they strangle you with your own gi.

One of my instructors will whisper "I'm going to need this later" in my ear as he pulls my gi out of my belt. He'll then proceed to distract me with a bunch of other passes/sweeps/attacks, and then a few minutes later when I'm frantically focused on defending some sort of joint lock or something, out of nowhere he'll choke me with my own lapel and then laughs and says "I told you I was going to need that later."

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm a little banged up right now so I've been working on some stuff that keeps pressure off my chest: my counter leglock game and Roger style cross collar chokes from mount.

I have also been thinking about the development of my game and have a question for you guys. Over the years I've learned so much from so many people even though I've stayed at one academy. Obviously mostly from my instructors but also from senior belts and my training partners. When I look at my game, I see elements taken from a variety of people.

Obviously Renzo is head of the academy. I started out with Rolles Gracie, Igor Gracie, Gregor Gracie and Magno Gama as my primary instructors in mostly gi. I also learned gi from Augusto Tio Chico and Luciano Christovam. John has been my main no gi instructor for over a decade and Zed my main gi instructor for almost as long. That's really the core/foundation of my game.

But so many small elements I've taken from my teammates. My mounted armbars came from a senior brown belt (now black belt) Carlo. My counters to RNC defenses come from a friend and current brown belt Chris. Some of my leg attacks came from John but some came from Eddie. Armbars from guard from another blackbelt and friend. Triangle set ups from get another teammate Jesse. I even made a change to my side control based on something my white belt brother told me about a Saulo video he saw and now my side control is even more brutal.

When I think about things I have put my own unique touch on, I would say my defense (particularly my leg lock defense) and my half guard have a lot of my own elements to them.

So my questions is, what guys have contributed what elements to your game? And what have you developed and/or put you own touch on?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm just a blue and a rusty one at that, so my game is pretty ill-defined.

That being said, I got my darce from a training partner with a similar build. I trained sambo for a few months and apparently retained zero techniques, but everyone there was tough and aggressive and willing to use strength and speed that BJJ guys may not be. From there I got a smashy sort of top game and a bit of a wrestling element. I got a super heavy S-mount from a blue belt instructor that would torture me with it.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Are you a black belt Yuns? I've only been doing this a year so it's mostly basic stuff. I like Paul Schreiner and Danahar's stuff plus Keenan's white belt course. And Ryan Halls's dvds (not 50/50)

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 18, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spb posted:

Are you a black belt Yuns? I've only been doing this a year so it's mostly basic stuff. I like Paul Schreiner and Danahar's stuff plus Keenan's white belt course. And Ryan Halls's dvds (not 50/50)
Yes. I'm a black belt and will be getting the first stripe on my black belt this fall. In 3 more years I'll get my second degree which will make me eligible to promote my own black belts under me.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I cannot believe a Flo subscription is 29.99. What grown men in their 30s have that kind of money?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Most of them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

I'm a little banged up right now so I've been working on some stuff that keeps pressure off my chest: my counter leglock game and Roger style cross collar chokes from mount.

I have also been thinking about the development of my game and have a question for you guys. Over the years I've learned so much from so many people even though I've stayed at one academy. Obviously mostly from my instructors but also from senior belts and my training partners. When I look at my game, I see elements taken from a variety of people.

Obviously Renzo is head of the academy. I started out with Rolles Gracie, Igor Gracie, Gregor Gracie and Magno Gama as my primary instructors in mostly gi. I also learned gi from Augusto Tio Chico and Luciano Christovam. John has been my main no gi instructor for over a decade and Zed my main gi instructor for almost as long. That's really the core/foundation of my game.

But so many small elements I've taken from my teammates. My mounted armbars came from a senior brown belt (now black belt) Carlo. My counters to RNC defenses come from a friend and current brown belt Chris. Some of my leg attacks came from John but some came from Eddie. Armbars from guard from another blackbelt and friend. Triangle set ups from get another teammate Jesse. I even made a change to my side control based on something my white belt brother told me about a Saulo video he saw and now my side control is even more brutal.

When I think about things I have put my own unique touch on, I would say my defense (particularly my leg lock defense) and my half guard have a lot of my own elements to them.

So my questions is, what guys have contributed what elements to your game? And what have you developed and/or put you own touch on?

The three things that have had the greatest development on my game so far as a blue belt are 1) crosstraining Judo, 2) Injuries & size, 3) obsession. A fourth factor is my own analytical personality, which interacts with these three categories.

My judo crosstraining has caused me to second guess many of the jiu jitsu "truths" - my favourite example is "position before submission," which is almost laughably useless in the context of judo competition (if you have position, you don't need submission, so judo newaza is position or submission). I'm not necessarily rejecting these ideas, but it really gives me perspective for thinking about what they mean. To a lesser extent I'm often rethinking grips and escapes and different things that we do on either mat because of my experience in both.

Injuries and size are the same thing - I'm on average 30 pounds lighter than most of my training partners. One guy I train with a lot is a lean 100 lb bigger than me. When I first started I got hurt a lot by being smashed, and I've suffered three moderatley severe rib injuries. I have to home-brew a lot of techniques and do outside study because stuff that works for an NFL-sized heavyweight is not going to work for a 148 lb lightweight, and it's especially not going to work on that heavyweight. Lots of my defensive techniques have gotten really good, and I've become seemingly impervious to grinding pain and top pressure because of my big fat training partners. I've found ways to survive under these guys, to resist their attacks, and to avoid injury while being attacked by them.

Lastly, I've become obsessed with catching up with one of my training partners. He and I have been working together for over three years now, and we're both focused on getting as much mat time as possible. But he's flat out better than me - he's in better shape, he's bigger, he's tougher, he's more experienced, and he finds more time to train. I still roll with him every chance I get. Right now the score between the two of us is something like 2000-2: I've trained with this guy for 3+ years and I've submitted him twice. I'll probably never get to the point where I can even get him once per week, but because of him I have a mobeus strip of iron for sharpening myself, even though my training partners are limited. That obsession gets me out on the mats and keeps me moving.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
CommonShore we are BJJ twins! Haha

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Triplets maybe, my judo club and my jiu jitsu school are fairly isolated from each other so it's very easy to see how my bjj game has affected my judo game and vice versa. The guard game I play today would have been unrecognizable at my formative judo school, and I'm enjoying exploring the principal of kuzushi on the ground in bjj.

Got to check off a few bucket list items today. First sub-only competition, first no-gi competition, first time wrestling with another adult while wearing tights (awesome), first gold (in an old man division of two) first win by straight ankle lock (first time I've won anything with "plan A"), first double gold, in a gi division of three.

Thoughts on the experience:

Wish I'd paid for absolutes, I thought there'd be more people in my divisions (30+ intermediate/blue.) Ended up with close to 30 minutes of match time so I'm ok with what I got.

No-gi was a lot of fun. I really wanted to try my SLX/ashi garami game. Passing the guy's guard was taking more work than I wanted so when he stuck his foot in my armpit I sat straight to ashi and finished with a not-perfect but apparently good enough ankle lock.

Gi matches went well. I'm always surprised in competitions how hard people fight to stay off their backs. I find I have to keep telling myself to fight to maintain top, that they're working harder to get out. It's easy for me to concede position out of basically laziness. I find the fight against the voice telling me to give up the battle of the moment is at least as tough as my physical opponent.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You have to pay for the absolute? Sucks. Good job though.

Yuns, best piece of advice my black belt jiu-jitsu coach was to start wrestling.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
One thing that changed my rolling habits and way of thinking about grappling was rolling with Doug at Renzo's, he'd love to rest his forearm on my trachea and make it uncomfortable as gently caress to stay bottom side-control. I use that to make the guy on bottom move and "pick his poison" so to speak now.

I work and use a very floaty mount that I've seen on BJJ scout videos when he demonstrated the concept of rides with Ben Askren and saw other guys with good wrestling chops use like Reilly Bodycomb.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s mostly wristlocks and other small joint manipulation. They could have some use in grappling, but they have a little different purpose. Most experienced grapplers wouldn’t have too much trouble toughing it through some of the spots or even reversing out. The main goal of my training was just getting control enough to cuff someone whether standing or on the ground and it incorporated batons and pepper spray.

It was more a baseline that’s there to teach you about maintaining distance and hand/wrist control over a situation while escalating through the force continuum with lethal force at the top. While it might provide some benefit to someone new to any combat sport, I doubt there’s much in a mach course that would help an experienced grappler.

This was why experience too. Most military and police training is more about compliance holds. If someone is determined to resist you bring more people and more aggression until they give up. It’s basically just Aikido but you punch them if they don’t go along.

Though the Army and USMC has introduced some actual grappling.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

omg chael crash posted:

I cannot believe a Flo subscription is 29.99. What grown men in their 30s have that kind of money?

Isn't one of the head people at Flo the guy who scammed people on Gofundme for the red belt documentary?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

Isn't one of the head people at Flo the guy who scammed people on Gofundme for the red belt documentary?

I believe that guy is a Vlogger for Flo. The thing that i'm the most curious about is how does AJ Agazarm get reinvited to events streamed by them. He only gets losses. Is cringy as gently caress when he tries playing heel and I've never actually heard of anyone interested in his matches for a long time. The only time I was actually interested in what he was doing was back in the BJJ kumite and even then there was evidence he was a cheating piece of poo poo.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What red belt documentary?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Speaking of, I met Francisco Mansor a few months back and he was delightfully old. He yelled at one of my black belt friends for not warming up properly

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A heel who always loses is a gift to everybody around them

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

omg chael crash posted:

What red belt documentary?

A long time ago someone set up a Gofundme for a bjj documentary, it was something to do with red belts. That person ran off with all the money and is now on the pay roll of Flo, so gently caress them.

They also have done some shady poo poo by not ignoring comps they don't have a say in, promoting fighters way more than they deserve because they are mates with a writer and being lovely to female comps.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

It was a guy called Hywel Teague.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/interview/hywel-teague-sets-record-straight-on-red-belts-doc

He basically set up funding on Indiegogo, bought himself some nice kit, then went “nah it’s hard”.

Ingenious.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Going to my first ever BJJ class today. Excited and a bit scared!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Claeaus posted:

Remind yourself to relax and to breathe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Claeaus posted:

Be sure to trim your nails, smell decent and not have swamp breath. Your training partners will thank you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Be sure to trim your nails, smell decent and not have swamp breath. Your training partners will thank you.

This and remember to bring water with you. Be a chill bro and theyll do the rest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I can't roll for a few days (resting a pulled muscle and going out of town) and I'm already wigging out. I've started visualizing and rubix cubing a move and I need the thread to help me simmer down by telling me either a) that it's dumb and bad and won't work and why, and b) that it's a real move that might actually work.

So the setup is that I'm in a regular outside ashi - I'm between my partner's legs with my inside foot tucked under the far buttock and my outside foot on my partner's hip, and I have an overhook grip on the trapped foot - basic stuff. My partner defends the leg attack by planting the trapped heel and standing.

Does it seem reasonable/possible for me to respond to this by threading myself between my partner's legs and then behind the trapped leg as he gets his balance, while shifting my foot from his hip down behind my knee into triangle. (i.e. I pass myself from between his legs to outside). I'd then twist towards that outside foot to break his balance while the inside leg blocks his back step, which should drop him back onto his butt into saddle (kind of like the end of an Imanari roll).

Is this a thing? Does this seem like a thing that could work?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

I'm still a new grappler and am still at the very early stage of discovering both techniques and what top players are known for what in the larger grappling world. So my points of reference area really only my instructors and training partners. I don't think this is ground-breaking but in the past few months I've started to be able to put some sense and structure to my training and to develop a game that incorporates techniques drawn from my training partners under broader philosophies and approached held by my instructors.

My head instructor is very old school and detail oriented. My takeaway from him is the necessity of focusing on basics/fundamentals. I am intentionally avoiding techniques that are worthy of highlight reels/Instagram, in hopes that by focusing on basic techniques at this early stage in my training I will have a solid foundation to build from if I want to add more complicated/flashy techniques in future.

My other instructor uses a wider range of techniques which he draws from all over - new and old school guys. I have done a few privates with him going through his systematic approach to key positions. For example, his approach to closed guard has multiple pathways depending on what his opponent does. He talks about letting your opponent choose how they will be submitted, and so my takeaway is that rather than trying to force specific techniques from a given position, I need to have multiple complementary options between which I can easily transition depending on what my opponent does (for example he's constantly pointing out the potential to transfer between choke/armbar).

So drawing from them, my combined takeaway is trying to find basic techniques that work for me and that complement each other in all the key positions, building toward building a game that allows me to transition as smoothly as possible between positions or techniques within a position.

I do incorporate specific techniques we are shown in class, but I have also started to identify which of my training partners are known for what. For example, we have the kimura guy, the backtake guy, the baseball bat choke guy, and I have been able to take techniques from all of them by observation, but have also started to be more intentional about asking them to show me techniques that I think would complement my go-tos in a given position (I have found that if I get subbed by something several times in a round, and then learn how my partner does the technique, it helps me cement both how to do the technique and how to defend from it).

As a result, my game from bottom half for example is a combination of pretty simple but complementary things I've been taught in class, private lessons, a Youtube video, and a handful of my training partners. My approach from mount or the back similarly draw from a variety of different sources.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just try to do pro wrestling moves

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ok I can't roll for a few days (resting a pulled muscle and going out of town) and I'm already wigging out. I've started visualizing and rubix cubing a move and I need the thread to help me simmer down by telling me either a) that it's dumb and bad and won't work and why, and b) that it's a real move that might actually work.

So the setup is that I'm in a regular outside ashi - I'm between my partner's legs with my inside foot tucked under the far buttock and my outside foot on my partner's hip, and I have an overhook grip on the trapped foot - basic stuff. My partner defends the leg attack by planting the trapped heel and standing.

Does it seem reasonable/possible for me to respond to this by threading myself between my partner's legs and then behind the trapped leg as he gets his balance, while shifting my foot from his hip down behind my knee into triangle. (i.e. I pass myself from between his legs to outside). I'd then twist towards that outside foot to break his balance while the inside leg blocks his back step, which should drop him back onto his butt into saddle (kind of like the end of an Imanari roll).

Is this a thing? Does this seem like a thing that could work?

I think that your arm (along with your body) with the over hook will end up blocking your entry into saddle. I think you run out of real estate when you try to get a saddle entry from regular outside ashi.

Better is to either dump him back on to his butt with the standard single leg x sweep, or if his weight is really far forward transition to x-guard or if he's exposing his heel, attack that with the heel hook.

Again, I think this all works.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

I think that your arm (along with your body) with the over hook will end up blocking your entry into saddle. I think you run out of real estate when you try to get a saddle entry from regular outside ashi.

Better is to either dump him back on to his butt with the standard single leg x sweep, or if his weight is really far forward transition to x-guard or if he's exposing his heel, attack that with the heel hook.

Again, I think this all works.

Hm thanks. I think this means I need to put some craig jones instructionals on my phone before I go to Vancouver this week. I might try to pick up a class at West Van BJJ, but if the schedule doesn't work for me (it might not), I'll try to snag one at Lion's MMA instead.

Or, given my pulled muscle, I might turn it into a rest week and get a tattoo instead if I can find a good place that does walk-in flash on Friday.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I just keep my elbows in, try to maintain my posture and tap early and often.

Last week I got to mission control and was able to get a really sloppy sweep to on top in the scramble. Ended up in half, then I got swept before I could establish position. my prof then yelled at me for trying to use mission control/rubber guard (we haven't even begun to touch the position)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Hm thanks. I think this means I need to put some craig jones instructionals on my phone before I go to Vancouver this week. I might try to pick up a class at West Van BJJ, but if the schedule doesn't work for me (it might not), I'll try to snag one at Lion's MMA instead.

Or, given my pulled muscle, I might turn it into a rest week and get a tattoo instead if I can find a good place that does walk-in flash on Friday.

Now that I've thought about it, your thing does work, with one proviso. When you get into the saddle entry, their leg is going to be in the wrong "pocket" so to speak. If you can get their weight off that leg (by dumping them on their butt), you can drag the leg across your body to get it into the correct pocket.

I'm not sure you can dump them with their weight on their foot and with that body position though.