Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Odddzy posted:

What is an erg?

Rowing machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ah ok, thanks a lot, I'll start putting time in it. Will doing that set 2x a week tuesdays and fridays bring a noticeable increase or it's not much?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Beware of getting reverse Kimura'd though. Im catching a lot of people that think they can catch a kimura on me from half guard and I trap their hands and just pull up. I do it slow so as not to break poo poo.

Yeah, good luck with that. I'm either pinning your hand to your hip and getting the sweep/transition to the back or I'm clamping your shoulder down with my elbow to break your posture or I'm gripping low enough to internally rotate your hand and shoulder to prevent you from doing anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Yeah, good luck with that. I'm either pinning your hand to your hip and getting the sweep/transition to the back or I'm clamping your shoulder down with my elbow to break your posture or I'm gripping low enough to internally rotate your hand and shoulder to prevent you from doing anything.

Same.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Count Roland posted:

The kimura is a fundamental control position, with the actual kimura sub being only one of many outcomes. There's armbars and triangles galore, along with strong back takes.

There's a smaller guy I roll with sometimes who absolutely *loves* the Kimura grip. I can pick him up and throw him halfway across the room, but if he gets that drat grip, it doesn't matter how many scrambles and positional changes we go through, he's eventually gonna use it to teleport to my back.

Notably, threatening a Kimura counter from top half is the only way I can reliably get him to abandon the grip, and I suspect the size difference is a factor there.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm really looking for is what to work or target when working cardio. How long? what intensity?

Get some kind of heart monitor and hit the cardio heart rate limit (different for different people, based on age and weight) for 30 minutes I'd say.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Odddzy posted:

Ah ok, thanks a lot, I'll start putting time in it. Will doing that set 2x a week tuesdays and fridays bring a noticeable increase or it's not much?

Yes, if you row hard enough to be a sweaty mess on the floor by the end.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just measured my heart rate and yes, I should also do more cardio. Maybe I'll get back on the rower.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I just measured my heart rate and yes, I should also do more cardio. Maybe I'll get back on the rower.

Uh are you saying your heart rate is resting? It's supposed to be resting if you aren't doing anything intensive...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Yeah that poo poo doesnt work on me. This best explains what I do, the higher belts are on to me as soon as Im in this position, purples and below from what Ive noticed, not so much. The key is to drop (in the case of the video) my left hip, if I do that, no one has yet to sweep me, but like I said I have to watch them coming back on top but more often than not they are worrying more about their arm. Its so fast though I have tapped a few people with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8SKlCdDrb8

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yeah that poo poo doesnt work on me. This best explains what I do, the higher belts are on to me as soon as Im in this position, purples and below from what Ive noticed, not so much. The key is to drop (in the case of the video) my left hip, if I do that, no one has yet to sweep me, but like I said I have to watch them coming back on top but more often than not they are worrying more about their arm. Its so fast though I have tapped a few people with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8SKlCdDrb8

Yes it does.

That video, while good, isn't taking into account the pinning of the shoulder, driving of the hand to the hip or internal rotation. All of which shut down the idea of posturing. If you flop to your hip when I have your shoulder controlled you have no leverage. Anyone who is competent at the kimura from bottom half isn't gonna get tapped by this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Yes it does.

That video, while good, isn't taking into account the pinning of the shoulder, driving of the hand to the hip or internal rotation. All of which shut down the idea of posturing. If you flop to your hip when I have your shoulder controlled you have no leverage. Anyone who is competent at the kimura from bottom half isn't gonna get tapped by this.

There are two ways to defend both of which I have tried and they work.

1. First way is to do whats in the video and drop your hip. You might get the reverse kimura, maybe not. Like I said against lower belts Ive caught it. This is less effective, its more of a "oh poo poo I didnt know you could do that" submission.

2. The second way and, from what I have noticed is the most effective, is the moment the kimura grip comes on, leaving your (in this case) left arm bent in a L, gripping your left hand and pulling up, it will break the kimura grip. In fact if they hold on to the kimura, there is a good chance they will break their arm. The angle for me to break the grip is actually much less than the one you would need to finish the kimura, hence the reason I always win that battle. Just tried it against one of our black belts last Thursday and he immediately let go of the kimura grip.

But hey man, Im just telling you what works for me, who knows maybe I will get caught with something or there is some counter-counter that works on that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We can keep this stupid circle jerk going all day. A properly set up kimura from bottom half doesn't allow you either the room, angle or ability to grab your own arm at an L and yank. I'm aware of what you're trying to say you do.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

We can keep this stupid circle jerk going all day. A properly set up kimura from bottom half doesn't allow you either the room, angle or ability to grab your own arm at an L and yank. I'm aware of what you're trying to say you do.

Cool. I think we can both agree there are properly setup attacks and properly setup defenses.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
did we just have two dudes rp a jiu jitsu match

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Yeah this. If you're putting pressure on their triceps, they can't get the posture to rip their arm up to counter the kimura.

People think they can just rip their arm out with my kimura and learn very quickly they cannot.

:getin:

Edit: once I get the grip I usually straighten my arms and drive their hand towards their hip and really think about my top arm clamping down on their tricep. Saw that in a yt vid, and I really think it works.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah this. If you're putting pressure on their triceps, they can't get the posture to rip their arm up to counter the kimura.

Yeah I dont want this to happen and from what I have noticed the adjustment comes after they get the grip, and by that time Im already pulling up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yeah I dont want this to happen and from what I have noticed the adjustment comes after they get the grip, and by that time Im already pulling up.

The kimura-er should have a good bite on your shoulder with the grip to prevent early pull outs. :v:

Most people think of the kimura as encircling the elbow, and don't focus on the clamp which prevents a lot of the common resistances (like sitting up) much in the same way that people don't clamp the opponent when going for a triangle.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sometimes a good defense is built on a horrible telegraph :D

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spb posted:

Yeah I've started looking for them in bottom half-guard because they're so sneaky. White belt last night countered my kimura from bottom half by simply straightening out his arm and I was like gently caress... what can I do from here lol

Could try an inverted armbar provided you have the leverage but that may be a poor position for it, someone of a higher skill level can probably tell you why that's a bad idea and I'm dumb for saying it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 23, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Anyone here get high and roll? It's such a strange idea to me. I don't get high very much (few times a year? ) and if I do the last thing it does is make me better at coordinated physical activity, unless eating and laughing count. I sure as poo poo would not want to fight anyone, even pretend fighting. My guess based on the stoner bjj'ers I have meet is that they just do everything high all the time, so bjj is part of that.

Even though I know some NFL / NBA players say it helps them with athletic performance, I just don't see it. Speak up stoner goons.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never done marijuana because it is illegal and forbidden by God. I would not want to make baby Jesus cry.

Nah I haven't. Rogan has mentioned a few times on his podcast there's a kickboxer he knows in Europe that microdoses mushrooms and apparently that little high he gets makes him stupidly fluid or something (so says the kickboxer). It'd be interesting but the times I got high I just napped so I feel doing BJJ while high would just result in me taking a nap in the middle of the nap without my opponent even touching me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Could try an inverted armbar provided you have the leverage but that may be a poor position for it, someone of Yuns' proficiency can probably tell you why that's a bad idea.

I'm not Yuns proficient but if someone manages to straighten their arm I'll transition to an arm crush/straight arm bar, if they straighten and posture I'll use that space to get a sweep or transition to a leg attack.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spandexcajun posted:

Anyone here get high and roll? It's such a strange idea to me. I don't get high very much (few times a year? ) and if I do the last thing it does is make me better at coordinated physical activity, unless eating and laughing count. I sure as poo poo would not want to fight anyone, even pretend fighting. My guess based on the stoner bjj'ers I have meet is that they just do everything high all the time, so bjj is part of that.

Even though I know some NFL / NBA players say it helps them with athletic performance, I just don't see it. Speak up stoner goons.

It doesnt bother me. I have friends that roll stoned. Most of the people in my gym dont, but I can think of a few people and one in particular that I am pretty sure does, but hes in pain a lot after being blown up by a roadside bomb in Iraq so no one is ever gonna give him poo poo for it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

I've never done marijuana because it is illegal and forbidden by God. I would not want to make baby Jesus cry.

Nah I haven't. Rogan has mentioned a few times on his podcast there's a kickboxer he knows in Europe that microdoses mushrooms and apparently that little high he gets makes him stupidly fluid or something (so says the kickboxer). It'd be interesting but the times I got high I just napped so I feel doing BJJ while high would just result in me taking a nap in the middle of the nap without my opponent even touching me.

Not illegal in the cool parts of :fsmug:

Anecdotal, I've gotten high and rolled a couple times, it really depends on the strain you're smoking. Sativa's make me a bit more in tune with my surroundings and a lot more analytical, and calms me down. It definitely helps my poker game and I can see myself thinking through moves and outcomes a bit more in jiu jitsu. I've known a few people to micro dose mushrooms and play poker to roughly the same effect as described.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

did we just have two dudes rp a jiu jitsu match

* I drive the upper plane of my thumb into your anus, wrapping my pinky and middle fingers around the buttox securing a gripping position and countering your kimura grip*

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Odddzy posted:

I've got a training cardio for grappling question.

I'd like to introduce cardio workouts during my week to supplement my bjj. I've got a slight knee issue so jogging is out of the question.

Ideally I'd use the rower But i'm open to other ideas.

I know nothing when it comes to working out and i'm out of shape. What would you guys recommend I do?

I'm a little late to this conversation but spin class. or any sort of interval training.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Other than about 3-4 times, I've only done BJJ high. Not a surprise, I'm sure.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
2+ years and 99% of the time I smoke before class. I might be better now if I didn't... but it's a good time

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Got my rear end beat tonight. Brown belt just destroyed me. I defended against the blue belt well but he manhandled me like a bitch. gently caress.

edit: regarding weed, I don't think I could ever get high at my gym, maybe during the fundamentals class when we just drill. I don't think I could row while high, it doesn't seem fun to me and I would be afraid of my professor yelling at me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just got home from a seminar with Ivaylo Ivanov, who's president of the FICW (the Combat Wrestling federation). It was awesome. I have hiplocks now :getin:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just did a 90 minute session with our elite wrestler. poo poo is dope but I'm tired.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Odddzy posted:

I've got a training cardio for grappling question.

I'd like to introduce cardio workouts during my week to supplement my bjj. I've got a slight knee issue so jogging is out of the question.

Ideally I'd use the rower But i'm open to other ideas.

I know nothing when it comes to working out and i'm out of shape. What would you guys recommend I do?

I briefly toyed with swimming as supplementary cardio but no longer have access to a lap pool. It puts very little strain on your joints and helps your breathing while also being a cardio workout. You could count laps and shorten your break times to measure progress? Your joints feel really good afterwards.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Getting choked by your own arm is one of the most humiliating submissions I’ve ever had done to me

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My only concrete goal in BJJ is to pull off one of these someday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJggLAD7tM

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nestharken posted:

My only concrete goal in BJJ is to pull off one of these someday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJggLAD7tM

Reminded me of this choke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiFVcxEJ2Gs

To which a black belt told me "If you ever hit that, I'll quit jiu jitsu"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

that is loving amazing.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

JaySB posted:

"If you ever hit that, I'll quit jiu jitsu"

Sounds like homework!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

lmao jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I mean.... I’m probably more likely to get this than an actual good kimura, so I know what I’m doing for the rest of the week.