Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

420 lapel chokes everyday. Sorry no gi guys. (I wish my no gi was better)

Edit: I wish I had time to train right now. Been out for 8 months with a newborn. No time for aggressive hugging at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Make time for the things you love, also bring your kid to class.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
I mostly prefer no-gi these days, but I do miss the paper cutter choke, which I used to get so often it felt like cheating.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I have MULTIPLE teammates who have newborns or little ones and are able to train 3x a week with regularity! Train or don't.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Kids vary a lot and depending on your SO and work schedule I can see how training might be impossible for a while. With my first I could train 2-3x a week, when we added twins to the mix I had to stop. Now after over a year, I hope to start BJJ officially after Xmas, even if it’s only once a week at first.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

My mild neck strain has turned into screaming agony running down the right side of my neck/back.. Should've tapped to that guillotine/neck crank far sooner. Two weeks of it seemingly improving to wake up today in hell. Thankfully I have a physio appt booked today.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

surivdaoreht posted:

My mild neck strain has turned into screaming agony running down the right side of my neck/back.. Should've tapped to that guillotine/neck crank far sooner. Two weeks of it seemingly improving to wake up today in hell. Thankfully I have a physio appt booked today.

I feel you.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

surivdaoreht posted:

Hello me, haven't trained for almost 2 months. I can almost put my chin on my shoulder without any discomfort at this point.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I feel like I get a better workout in NoGi classes as opposed to Gi class, but not so much as my Judo classes. Im loving wiped after those sessions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
dumb question, is there a way to do a closed guard that won't annihilate your ankles?

I was the Uke for a brand new guy being taught closed guard breaks and after like ten minutes both of my ankles were dead. Like, I know I could have just loosed it but I felt like I was cheating him if I didn't give real resistance.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mel Mudkiper posted:

dumb question, is there a way to do a closed guard that won't annihilate your ankles?

I was the Uke for a brand new guy being taught closed guard breaks and after like ten minutes both of my ankles were dead. Like, I know I could have just loosed it but I felt like I was cheating him if I didn't give real resistance.

More closed guard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

butros posted:

More closed guard.

:ohdear:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

open guard

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Work on breaking down their posture. Though if the drill is a closed guard pass then you're obviously going to get worn out.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My sensei is all about them ankle wrap life.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Close your guard around their thigh and put their foot into your armpit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

First, squeeze your thighs and engage your abs. While doing that, try to rotate your knees/feet as if to point then more inwards (you won't literally do it, its more about muscle activation).

try to connect your pelvis/hip to their navel or hip rather than allowing your central body to rest on the floor. Try to hang on them in more neutral-spine posture rather than arching your back to do this since it can cause injury. People arch to get there a lot and maybe its not avoidable but at least don't load your spine such that their pressure drives into the mat and your back is the stick in between.

If you engage your central/lower body and get your hips up on theirs, it will force them to adjust posture, either sliding away or pressing back. This is the chance to keep them down or sweep or whatever you may want to do. If you're just holding guard then at least they will not feel comfortable.

It should feel that the pressure moves out of your ankles and becomes more distributed with your legs lower back and lower stomach. They should feel a pressing force, where if they relax you'll sit-up sweep them by default.

Also, don't round your back to sit-up because that shifts the weight back down into the ground and away instead of driving it into them. A shrimping type motion (you may have to open your legs) is better.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Also, as an alternative to playing guard, you can get on top, pass their guard, take their back, and choke them the gently caress out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

Also, as an alternative to playing guard, you can get on top, pass their guard, take their back, and choke them the gently caress out.

Or you could just armbar from guard and not have to deal with the other steps.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Or you could just armbar from guard and not have to deal with the other steps.

But playing guard hurts his ankles you see

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

First, squeeze your thighs and engage your abs. While doing that, try to rotate your knees/feet as if to point then more inwards (you won't literally do it, its more about muscle activation).

try to connect your pelvis/hip to their navel or hip rather than allowing your central body to rest on the floor. Try to hang on them in more neutral-spine posture rather than arching your back to do this since it can cause injury. People arch to get there a lot and maybe its not avoidable but at least don't load your spine such that their pressure drives into the mat and your back is the stick in between.

If you engage your central/lower body and get your hips up on theirs, it will force them to adjust posture, either sliding away or pressing back. This is the chance to keep them down or sweep or whatever you may want to do. If you're just holding guard then at least they will not feel comfortable.

It should feel that the pressure moves out of your ankles and becomes more distributed with your legs lower back and lower stomach. They should feel a pressing force, where if they relax you'll sit-up sweep them by default.

Also, don't round your back to sit-up because that shifts the weight back down into the ground and away instead of driving it into them. A shrimping type motion (you may have to open your legs) is better.

cool thanks

butros posted:

I feel like this would be rude to do to a dude in a t-shirt scoping the place out and being taught what closed guard is

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Rolling with someone that is a Wim Hof instructor is an interesting experience. Hearing the breathing pattern is...interesting..

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Drilling closed guard breaks is kind of an artificial situation as far as wearing out your ankles. If you were actually rolling, presumably you'd either be controlling their posture well enough that you wouldn't be straining them or you'd be getting your guard broken and then transitioning to an open guard, or just getting passed and working escapes. This is a little bit like saying "we drilled omoplatas all day and now my shoulder is sore for some reason".

That said, trying to play closed guard with guys whose waist is about 2X your inseam is always gonna be a rough time for your ankles.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Rolling with someone that is a Wim Hof instructor is an interesting experience. Hearing the breathing pattern is...interesting..

I have no idea what this means

Nestharken posted:

Drilling closed guard breaks is kind of an artificial situation as far as wearing out your ankles. If you were actually rolling, presumably you'd either be controlling their posture well enough that you wouldn't be straining them or you'd be getting your guard broken and then transitioning to an open guard, or just getting passed and working escapes. This is a little bit like saying "we drilled omoplatas all day and now my shoulder is sore for some reason".

That said, trying to play closed guard with guys whose waist is about 2X your inseam is always gonna be a rough time for your ankles.

Yeah I thought that might be the case, I usually only spend a little bit in closed guard before going for rubber guard or a omaplata. I just thought I would ask since I am still trying to figure out what is and isnt something "workable"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have no idea what this means

Wim Hof is that dude what goes out and throws himself naked into the arctic ocean and some how survives the experience, it's apparently a teachable skill.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Defenestrategy posted:

Wim Hof is that dude what goes out and throws himself naked into the arctic ocean and some how survives the experience, it's apparently a teachable skill.

Basically his method is pretty much just meditate, hyperventilate, cardio and expose yourself to cold a lot.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 15, 2018

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

heeebrew posted:

I have MULTIPLE teammates who have newborns or little ones and are able to train 3x a week with regularity! Train or don't.

Good for them, but I just don't see how I could make it work.

We're getting live in help in January, to help while my wife gets back to full time work, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to get back at that point. I miss it something fierce.

Edit:

Dr. Miracle posted:

I mostly prefer no-gi these days, but I do miss the paper cutter choke, which I used to get so often it felt like cheating.

Paper cutter is one of my go tos. I like to set it up from North South. I need to come up with something when they see it coming and sneak an a in.

MalleusDei fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 16, 2018

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Miracle posted:

You know you can do it in no-gi as well, right? It's great to bust out every so often, as it really gets into people's heads that they aren't safe, even in something as benign as side control.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bpflg18vNCk

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Drewjitsu posted:

You know you can do it in no-gi as well, right? It's great to bust out every so often, as it really gets into people's heads that they aren't safe, even in something as benign as side control.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bpflg18vNCk

Wowee that looks brutal. Can't wait to give it a go!

Hey, also, anyone got any good setups for a kimura from bottom half guard? Once I get the arm I'm golden but at the moment I'm only really able to get the arm by chance. A reliable set up or two would be really helpful.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

Hey, also, anyone got any good setups for a kimura from bottom half guard? Once I get the arm I'm golden but at the moment I'm only really able to get the arm by chance. A reliable set up or two would be really helpful.

What kind of half guard are you playing? Gi or no gi?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Any good poo poo from no gi worlds?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
gordon beat some fat guy 47 - 0

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
sounds like cyborg got dq'd for stalling against gordon? lol

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
cyborg full on slapped Gordon in the head multiple times.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

JaySB posted:

What kind of half guard are you playing? Gi or no gi?

Nogi mostly but something that can transfer would be handy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

Nogi mostly but something that can transfer would be handy.

There's a ton of good setups, Danaher's is great.

From knee shield half with a frame I like to bump them with my shield leg to get them to post the hand on the mat, once it's there I dive on the kimura. Typically I'm framing with my top arm and actively searching out their wrist with my bottom, switching between off balances, threatening the underhook, or diving for legs.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

cyborg full on slapped Gordon in the head multiple times.

It's not ballet.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Punch a black belt in the head and he becomes a brown belt. Hit him again and he becomes a purple belt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

old.flv posted:

gordon beat some fat guy 47 - 0

The crime of this is that I noticed a lot of internet posters, including people from my gym, are making fun of him as if they wouldn't get stomped as bad or worse. Dude got matched against Gordon round one and made an effort against close to if not the no. 1 grappler in the world, and that's admirable.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Besides Gordon styling on people, Hinger vs Diniz and Gianni Grippo vs Marcio Andre were both pretty good