Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyway bought Adam Wardzinskis butterfly guard series? After triangles I think this might the next one I watch and try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My gym finally reopened today... but I came down with a nasty cold yesterday evening. gently caress.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

spb posted:

I trained at Broadway for a while, I can recommend that. It's right off the Broadway stop on the red line.

Did you move to Faria's?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

old.flv posted:

Did you move to Faria's?

No I've been wanting to train there though. It seems small from the videos I've seen lol. Have you been there?

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Has anyway bought Adam Wardzinskis butterfly guard series? After triangles I think this might the next one I watch and try out.

I did and its really good. I've been trying to get better with butterfly, it's just hard for me to even initiate it...

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

spb posted:

No I've been wanting to train there though. It seems small from the videos I've seen lol. Have you been there?

No, unfortunately Boxford might as well be in Kuwait for how accessible it is to me

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

I was so pumped when I heard Faria was moving here but lol gently caress that

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

old.flv posted:

I was so pumped when I heard Faria was moving here but lol gently caress that

Yeah dude, I don't know why people choose certain places to put their gyms. It's really out of the way. I've been looking to get a house soon and one of the considerations is if the place is near a good bjj gym.

I forget, are you at 617?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

I did and its really good. I've been trying to get better with butterfly, it's just hard for me to even initiate it...

I feel comfortable in the butterfly position/ x guard setups, but I understand the initiation. Thought this might give me some ideas and concepts to play with.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I feel comfortable in the butterfly position/ x guard setups, but I understand the initiation. Thought this might give me some ideas and concepts to play with.

Totally. Bjj scout also did a study on it too, if you haven't seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JCG5kuJ5Y

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I recommend it. His system is very complete as far as I can tell.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Worm guard is slowing making its way into our gym as well. People hate it (myself included), but its just another problem to solve.

I expect my effectiveness to diminish as people catch on. I became interested because I'm long and not strong, and heard Keenan started doing this stuff when he was my height/weight with similar problems.

My professor told us that when he was coming up, spider-guard and lasso guard started to appear and people wanted to ban those. DLR too when it was literally only de la Riva doing it down in Brazil. So even though he rolls like its 1989, he is very open to whatever because he's already seen this cycle before and solutions always emerge.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think I mostly dont like that stuff because it's getting so far away from the idea of martial arts application. The gi is meant to represent clothing, so stuff you can only do with a gi and not with normal attire is hard to be enthusiastic about.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You could lapel guard someone who is wearing a suit probably

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Man BJJ scout videos are so much fun to watch

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It’s good but I’m concerned that Keenan might have opened a black hole from which there is no return.

There is a funny story in there about how Galvao watched him develop this guard for years and years until one day they came up against each other in a competition. Galvao tucked his gi in backwards before he walked onto the mat and it totally threw Keenan because everyone tucks their gi in the same way.

I can just imagine how many years Galvao had waited to pull that trick.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Please set me straight because this is a question and not an assertion, but can't you use lapel/gi techniques on any shirt that has button or otherwise isn't a pull over? Like, suits for sure but really any sort of button down?

If someone choked me out with a button down shirt, it might get stretched out something but it'd work.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gi chokes? Sure. But could you do this to a button-up shirt?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Point taken. I'd need an orchestral conductor to bow up on me, and then it's his escrima vs my jiu jitsu.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Classic juji jime cross collar chokes work on t-shirts too but you risk ripping it lol

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Just to clarify, I dislike these guards on a philosophical level, but I’m absolutely going to learn and use them because I also crave power

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Just to clarify, I dislike these guards on a philosophical level, but I’m absolutely going to learn and use them because I also crave power

This is me. I resisted so long but the power....

Keenan mentioned the galvao reverse gi story in the series. Pretty funny. He even has a couple of segments on what to do when you can't get the lapel right away and demos with his partner in a reversed gi

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Does “Reversed gi” mean the opening is in the back? Is that legal?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

Does “Reversed gi” mean the opening is in the back? Is that legal?

Crossing right lapel over left.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think I mostly dont like that stuff because it's getting so far away from the idea of martial arts application. The gi is meant to represent clothing, so stuff you can only do with a gi and not with normal attire is hard to be enthusiastic about.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Doublepostin but yeah. I train mostly in the gi because I generally can't make the nogi classes at my school, but I find myself really averse to the more complicated gi stuff. I'll use sleeve and collar grips in some situations but the more intricate lapel stuff is generally pretty unappealing to me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Gi chokes? Sure. But could you do this to a button-up shirt?

Certainly do it to a long coat or hoody.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The first time someone worm guarded me I fell over and died.

Now when someone starts fishing for that poo poo I start swatting their hands away until either I get a scramble and pass or they grab my feet and I fall over and die.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Certainly do it to a long coat or hoody.

I would love to see someone put out a video where this is put to the test.

CommonShore posted:

The first time someone worm guarded me I fell over and died.

Now when someone starts fishing for that poo poo I start swatting their hands away until either I get a scramble and pass or they grab my feet and I fall over and die.

We have someone specifically that does nothing but worm guard. Im like "ok I know it works but you got anything else????"

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't know anything about worm guard but I suspect that with Keenan hanging around I'll be seeing it soon.

edit: I swear that the only black belt level jiu jitsu I have is defense. I can't attack on a world class black belt level but I can frustrate the poo poo out of people. I look forward to annoying the poo poo out of people trying to learn worm guard.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How long did you guys train before competing?
There are some local competitions coming up that I am considering. I have been going about twice a week since November, minus a month for injury. I know I am not good, but I don't know how bad I actually am since I roll with higher belts 90% of the time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shadow225 posted:

There are some local competitions coming up that I am considering. I have been going about twice a week since November, minus a month for injury. I know I am not good, but I don't know how bad I actually am since I roll with higher belts 90% of the time.

About a year and I broke my ankle competing :shepface:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Five months and got submitted within a minute

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Shadow225 posted:

What does your coach say?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Shadow225 posted:

About six months, and I did ok. If you have several competitions to pick from, I suggest prioritizing one(s) with a round-robin format so that you get more guaranteed matches.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I waited til I felt like an adequate blue belt and still got darced in thirty seconds my first match so I'd say just dive in and get the first time over with

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I signed up for some big tournament called, I think, the New Orleans Open, and when I go to it I'll have like 8 months of training; other white belts with similiar training time are often better than me, some of them are much better. I plan to lose but also to grow faster by making myself go, both because of the tournament itself and the increased training I'll do in preparation.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Apparently things are partitioned by weight, belt, and age, so I will hopefully not run into any killers straight up if I stick to gi. That said, I am in the heaviest weight class, some a lot more variables exists. I can fight someone equally fat, or I can fight someone built like a Grecian deity. From what I am reading, I simultaneously need to train for a much longer time, and also I will never be ready so dive in head first. I'll sleep on it some more.

Neon Belly posted:

What does your coach say?

Instructors are giving the 'if you want to compete, go for it' response, but I can prod more a more specific answer.

Nestharken posted:

About six months, and I did ok. If you have several competitions to pick from, I suggest prioritizing one(s) with a round-robin format so that you get more guaranteed matches.

This is a good idea, thanks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I competed in both BJJ and Judo within 3 months of returning to grappling after a 17 year absence. I won some matches too! I've pretty much stopped competing though, because in judo they need me to ref and/or coach, and I hate waiting around all day for my division.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

Blue belt (fresh).

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’d been training for a year and i got smashed by a fitter, more aggressive guy who had been training for like four weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Re: Competition: I competed in Judo after about 1.5 years training. Won my first match, lost the next one then lost two straight at the next tournament. I eventually switched to BJJ and did a comp about 4 months after starting, but this is with a few years of Judo behind me. I won my first match, then lost the next one and lost two straight at the next tournament. Being in a small market and weighing over 220 lbs I'm encouraged to compete because just showing up means there's a good chance I'll get a bronze even if I lose, and that helps the school's medal count.

Re: Worm and other gi guards: Probably shouldn't learn as a white belt because you're still learning basic self defense, but once you're in the advanced belts does it really matter? I mean, if you're a purple or brown belt and you want to learn worm guard, it doesn't mean that if you get in a self defense situation you're suddenly going to forget your basics.