Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yuns posted:

But hantai is pretty easy to get and finish.

Yeah it got me through puberty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So based on the thread's comments, and some talk with training partners, the summer of 2019 is going to be the summer of the mount. By Labour Day, I want to have a killer mount.

So right now my mount game is primarily built around working a low mount with my heels looped high and using my knees as secondary posts while I hand fight and drive my weight down through my chest. The plan A from there is to get an elbow across my centre line and go for an arm triangle.

And here are the questions:

1 - Any suggestions for competitors who do that kind of thing really well? Any suggestions for competitors who have effective (no-gi) mounts that I can watch? Or instructionals? I've quite liked the Karel Pravek stuff that I've seen.

2 - Any suggestions for drills which might help me improve my abilities in these situations?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I never progressed past the mount stuff covered in the Mario Sperry VHS tapes I saw 20 years ago, I don't feel handicapped by that.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Not that often but not because we can't get it but that we get so many ushiro sankaku and conventional sankaku that we don't need hantai as much. But hantai is pretty easy to get and finish. Are you have problems with the entry or finish or something in between?

I have a problem maintaining control of my opponents head because of the weird position. I think I have the leg position down pretty well because I have drilled it quite a few times with a buddy of mine. But in live sparring it seems I cant keep their head down and it starts to fall apart. Any recommendations?

My head coach likes it, he just would rather me use it as a setup for a kimura, but damnit I want to hit it pretty bad just to say I did :P

Front and rear I hit a lot in sparring, its just this one is a bit frustrating.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I have a problem maintaining control of my opponents head because of the weird position. I think I have the leg position down pretty well because I have drilled it quite a few times with a buddy of mine. But in live sparring it seems I cant keep their head down and it starts to fall apart. Any recommendations?

My head coach likes it, he just would rather me use it as a setup for a kimura, but damnit I want to hit it pretty bad just to say I did :P

Front and rear I hit a lot in sparring, its just this one is a bit frustrating.
Use the knee to drive their head down. Keep a grip on the head pulling it down rotate perpendicular to your opponents spine and roll back onto your shoulders and use the knee of your leg behind the head to drive it down before you fully lock it. (This is your higher leg you are using) I hope that is clear.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Use the knee to drive their head down. Keep a grip on the head pulling it down rotate perpendicular to your opponents spine and roll back onto your shoulders and use the knee of your leg behind the head to drive it down before you fully lock it. (This is your higher leg you are using) I hope that is clear.

Ok yeah that def helps. I think that might be the detail Im missing. I am mainly trying to use my hand to pull down the head and then only attempting to engage my leg for the lockup. I hope that makes sense too how Im messing it up.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Today I had some someone drive their knee on belly into knee into solar plexus and heard a pop. Doesnt hurt but a little sore. Anyone else had this injury?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ok yeah that def helps. I think that might be the detail Im missing. I am mainly trying to use my hand to pull down the head and then only attempting to engage my leg for the lockup. I hope that makes sense too how Im messing it up.
Yes I makes sense. Drive the point of the knee into the back of the head to force it down into the choke

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I had my first jujitsu lesson this week, and they were working on arm triangles. For some reason I just couldn't actually complete the choke and cut off circulation. I hook my right arm underneath their neck as deep as I can, I pin their arm against the other side of their neck and try to force it against them, but it never really choked them enough to tap. My partner just described it as uncomfortable. I've looked at the diagram in the first post, and the only thing I can think is that maybe I was pushing more upwards into their head rather than inward against their neck?

I'm not explaining this super well, but if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jeremor posted:

I had my first jujitsu lesson this week, and they were working on arm triangles. For some reason I just couldn't actually complete the choke and cut off circulation. I hook my right arm underneath their neck as deep as I can, I pin their arm against the other side of their neck and try to force it against them, but it never really choked them enough to tap. My partner just described it as uncomfortable. I've looked at the diagram in the first post, and the only thing I can think is that maybe I was pushing more upwards into their head rather than inward against their neck?

I'm not explaining this super well, but if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it.

Just practice. I've taught many people the RNC just as a fun thing at parties or whatever. Not a single person has been able to apply it in a way that would make me tap for realz, even strong men. There's a big "feel" aspect to BJJ that can't be described with words and includes countless tiny body motions.

Get someone to watch you do it, and most importantly, do it a lot. It will come.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Finally got to learn some leg poo poo last night

I wish we did way more leg poo poo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jeremor posted:

I had my first jujitsu lesson this week, and they were working on arm triangles.

We just covered this last night and, from your post, I'm not sure you were dropping your near side shoulder to the mat?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jeremor posted:

Walk towards their head to tighten an arm triangle

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ryan Hall has a DVD set on arm triangles, the first part is about how to actually finish. It still didn't help me, I can't seem to finish them. I think it's just because my arm muscles are so huge due to my extreme masculinity, it will just never work for such a manly man as I.

Actually I think I'm just impatient. I should have another look at what Mr. Hall says, because he is a wizard and his magiks are available to study for a reasonable price.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'd bet cash money that you have the wrong arm position and that no amount of tightening will make the choke better and will just instead crank the neck.

The point of your shoulder should be UNDER the chin at the throat NOT across the face or jaw. a simple way to achieve that is to not drive forward too early. Get the grip around the neck deep but instead of immediately driving forward, lift your hips and extend your legs so you are tripoded up and drop the point of your shoulder onto his sternum then slide the shoulder forward under his chin, catching it and forcing his chin up. Then you can lower your hips.

Make sure your choking arm bicep is tight against the side of his neck/your elbow should be on the mats if its deep enough. Your hand should be all the way around to the other side. Use your head as a block on the trapped arm side against the side of his head. Now lock up your hands.

Now there are 2 ways to finish. Walk perpendicular to your opponent to force the arm across and finish. Or go knee on belly and lift the elbow of the choking arm off the mat to finish.

EDIT: Most people are content to "fix" their arm triangles by just cranking harder until they crank the neck or get a pain tap. The vast majority of blue belts can execute arm bars and triangles in an ok manner but are pure trash at arm triangles. If you get the mechanics right you will put people to sleep in a scary fast manner with little to no pain.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 17, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

^^^ :yeah:

I had a black belt give me a handfull of tips like this on my arm triangles and they went from ok to reliable. That up slice as you describe it from the sternum is key. I call it the Z cut. I get the grip around the head, clear the legs, and pull my shoulder back down to the sternum and then slice back up as if I'm tracing a Z with those three steps. Then if that doesn't immediately end it (it often does) I start burrowing my head underneath their head as I walk my feet out.

Answering the phone etc doesn't make a difference

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

^^^ :yeah:

I had a black belt give me a handfull of tips like this on my arm triangles and they went from ok to reliable. That up slice as you describe it from the sternum is key. I call it the Z cut. I get the grip around the head, clear the legs, and pull my shoulder back down to the sternum and then slice back up as if I'm tracing a Z with those three steps. Then if that doesn't immediately end it (it often does) I start burrowing my head underneath their head as I walk my feet out.

Answering the phone etc doesn't make a difference

there's also a cool scarf americana you can do when people do the phone defense

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Exactly. Your opponent should already feel light headed by the time you get the proper grip and the finish just makes it inevitable.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

If i could stop getting hurt that would be way cool

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Wow. Yeah, I was pretty much lost and only sort of understanding what I was being shown. I can't wait to try and put some of this to practice next time. Thanks yall

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

The vast majority of blue belts can execute arm bars and triangles in an ok manner but are pure trash at arm triangles.

Cool, I got a personal shout out from Yuns!

I was starting to figure out darce chokes a little bit but have not been rolling no-gi and for some reason (the reason is I like gi / lapel grips a lot) I don't try them in the gi as much.

But yeah, Jeremor details on all BJJ stuff takes months (years...) to get right so don't worry to much about not getting things right after a first class!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arm triangles work for me, and I have put people to sleep before even connecting my hands. It only takes a couple seconds, and you start to hear the gurgles if they don't tap first.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
@yuns do you know or know of Stan Beck?

He's a renzo bb in South Florida. Seems like his gym will be most convenient for my commute.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Yes I know of Stan Beck but I don't really know him. I think I may have met him when he was visiting the main academy a while back but had little interaction that I can recall. I can ask about him and his school.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Cool. Seems on the up and up from Google but figured I'd ask.

Especially with aspirations to become "that guy" with lapel guard. I'm a legit roll-troll now and it's fabulous. But I'm actually a little self conscious about moving and doing my weird poo poo in a place where I don't know people and that's maybe less open minded.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was exposed to an interesting idea tonight, I'm hoping someone here has heard more about it so I can learn more.

The idea is of categories, or "layers" of guard passing. 4 were put forward:
Torreando style
"Headquarters"
Knee slice style
Leg-weave (the guy called it "navy" something)

The names refer not to the specific passes, but to launching positions from which a variety of similar passes can be initiated. So, there's multiple ways to do a knee slice, but this is the starting position, where you have good base and posture, and where your opponent hasn't/can't lock in a proper half-guard. Depending on what you and your opponent do you can go into one of the passes, or switch to one of the other categories to launch a different set of attacks.

I found this a useful notion because I've been doing something like it myself these past few weeks. Basically going into a sort of leg-weave or knee slice position wherever I can, but getting good at defending myself from sweeps or counters or subs. I've spent entire rounds battling over underhooks from a knee slice, and its improved my game a lot in these areas.

Has anyone else heard of it, or something similar?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That's one style of guard passing, there are others. The real "layers" of guard passing which you have to beat are the feet, knees, hips, hands, elbows, and shoulders, in that order, as well as whatever other defensive frames they might've thrown in the way.

There are a bunch of different approaches/systems to achieve that: what you're describing is a set of positions for passing with one leg inside and one leg outside. I'm pretty familiar with it, what questions do you have?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I was exposed to an interesting idea tonight, I'm hoping someone here has heard more about it so I can learn more.

The idea is of categories, or "layers" of guard passing. 4 were put forward:
Torreando style
"Headquarters"
Knee slice style
Leg-weave (the guy called it "navy" something)

The names refer not to the specific passes, but to launching positions from which a variety of similar passes can be initiated. So, there's multiple ways to do a knee slice, but this is the starting position, where you have good base and posture, and where your opponent hasn't/can't lock in a proper half-guard. Depending on what you and your opponent do you can go into one of the passes, or switch to one of the other categories to launch a different set of attacks.

I found this a useful notion because I've been doing something like it myself these past few weeks. Basically going into a sort of leg-weave or knee slice position wherever I can, but getting good at defending myself from sweeps or counters or subs. I've spent entire rounds battling over underhooks from a knee slice, and its improved my game a lot in these areas.

Has anyone else heard of it, or something similar?

which one of those is a boston crab?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That's one style of guard passing, there are others. The real "layers" of guard passing which you have to beat are the feet, knees, hips, hands, elbows, and shoulders, in that order, as well as whatever other defensive frames they might've thrown in the way.

There are a bunch of different approaches/systems to achieve that: what you're describing is a set of positions for passing with one leg inside and one leg outside. I'm pretty familiar with it, what questions do you have?

If like to know which positions are "safe", meaning it's hard for my opponent to attack me. What makes it safe, how do I maintain this position, etc. If you need specifics, then knee slice and leg-weave.

Then, how to transition from one of these "safe" positions to another.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Before I dive in, does the 'leg weave' position look like this?

Or is it more like, both your knees are on the ground, with the opponent's top leg trapped across your body?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Where does the forward roll and cart wheel passes fall in your system?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Before I dive in, does the 'leg weave' position look like this?

Or is it more like, both your knees are on the ground, with the opponent's top leg trapped across your body?

I'm not sure, I didn't see a breakdown of each position. In the image the right arm is in the "leg weave" position as I understand it. Completing the pass involves smashing uke's legs together with your chest and moving around the side.

So a position from which that could be initiated. Photo certainly looks like it could be that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

That's called a navy ride

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's called a navy ride

Ah, yes, that's what the guy called it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

If like to know which positions are "safe", meaning it's hard for my opponent to attack me. What makes it safe, how do I maintain this position, etc. If you need specifics, then knee slice and leg-weave.

Then, how to transition from one of these "safe" positions to another.

Okay, then. It sounds like he's basically doing the Rafael Lovato Jnr style of passing, which is kinda like this:

Here's an overview of it that I hope will help:

Torreando:

The torreando is kind of an opener, because they won't give up the headquarters straight away unless they're bad. So you basically throw their legs to one side and try to pass that way, and if they don't react you get a pass, but if they do react, it'll be easy to set up the headquarters. If you can get your back leg in front of their hips, you've passed. If they're seating instead of supine, pull their feet away and up first to get them on their back. They can still sweep you during this scramble, you're not safe yet

Headquarters:

This is the central passing position. You pin their bottom leg forward with your shin, then lean/balance your bodyweight onto that top leg. It'll take a bit of practice to get the balance right, and develop the right sensitivity, but the goal is to drive the top leg to either the left or the right. To enter this position, hold one leg down and pull the other leg up. The leg that's going up, drive your shin into the back of it until it's sort of pinned forward. The leg that's going down, dump your hips on top of it. Notice how he keeps one hand on the hip in front of the bottom leg? That'll help you solve problems later. You're relatively safe from submissions and sweeps here.

Knee Cut:

If they give out towards the side of their top leg, you slide over into your knee cut. The leg which is now upright is the one that'll cause you trouble, which is why you had that hand on the hip in headquarters. It'll help you stay in front of that leg and stop it causing you problems. You're safe from submissions here.

Side Smash:

(Your coach substituted some kind of navy ride here, but the basic idea is the same)
If they give out to the opposite side, you drop your knee to the ground and then use your upper body/stomach/whatever to drive their top leg across their bottom leg, and you sprawl on top of it. The important thing is to keep the top leg flattened over the bottom leg, which keeps their hips pinned in one direction while you pass. You're safe from submissions here too.

This is a simplified overview of it. The knee cut is just the headquarters collapsed to one side, and the side smash is just the headquarters collapsed to the other side. Kinda. Once they're wise to what you're doing, you can bait and switch which side you're collapsing the leg to, and change direction (they'll drive their knee to the left to stop you going right, so go left instead, and vice versa). You can actually do a bunch of different passes from here, but there's probably no point until you've got the left-right thing down.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 18, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's fantastic, just what I was looking for. I'll look up more of his stuff now that I have a name for it. Thanks a bunch.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

That's a good post

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Injury I referred to a couple weeks ago was a very small tear, thankfully. I went ahead and competed in the Chicago Open today. Won my division, though I’m way too critical of the videos of my fights to post them for review.

Knee held up all right, hurt during a knee slide pass but didn’t give out on me. All in all I’m happy with the day while knowing I have a lot to fix, and about to eat some casserole they call pizza.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Injury I referred to a couple weeks ago was a very small tear, thankfully. I went ahead and competed in the Chicago Open today. Won my division, though I’m way too critical of the videos of my fights to post them for review.

Knee held up all right, hurt during a knee slide pass but didn’t give out on me. All in all I’m happy with the day while knowing I have a lot to fix, and about to eat some casserole they call pizza.

congrats

wrap the trophy around your face like a mummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Found out the government sponsored wrestling academy is about $25/month. I can sign up to that and judo for less than half the price of BJJ. I was going to try a wrestling class today but overnight someone booked a work appointment with me for exactly that time.