Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

first class in a week because of a hurricane, and I missed this poo poo. First time rolling with a black belt too, a very Brazilian guy that showed me a sweep. It was weird not being sore for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Victor Genovessi if coming by my random town in Korea to do a seminar come October. Kinda excited because my only experience with Black Belts was 1) quietly watching affiliates at a tournament or 2) speaking in Korean and not understanding what he's trying to say to me while he's grabbing my arms and legs and shoving them into positions.

Should be fun.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hey Yuns, what kind of position do you guys use to finish the basic kata gatame/arm triangle? Is it a high/low tripod, or belly flat to the mat, or the kind where you do a forward sit-out, or something else entirely?

I’m running into some problems with the belly-flat-to-the-mat finish, and wondering if I should switch styles or pursue it further.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
is this jizz fighter

https://twitter.com/Formula/status/1171196934582931456?s=20

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any NE goons thinking of going to the MSG UFC card Nov 2nd? I'm an idiot white belt so I wont be dropping in at the blue basement but if the tickets arent bad I might make a trip for it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Hey Yuns, what kind of position do you guys use to finish the basic kata gatame/arm triangle? Is it a high/low tripod, or belly flat to the mat, or the kind where you do a forward sit-out, or something else entirely?

I’m running into some problems with the belly-flat-to-the-mat finish, and wondering if I should switch styles or pursue it further.
Your shoulder position is deficient. I posted advice earlier in the thread about the proper arm triangle position. When the position is right, nearly any finishing mechanics work.

There are 2 finishes. 1. Walk perpendicular to your opponent's body (most people get low here but honestly your height doesn't matter so much if you get the shoulder position right) and 2. get knee of belly and lift the elbow of your choking arm.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

Your shoulder position is deficient. I posted advice earlier in the thread about the proper arm triangle position. When the position is right, nearly any finishing mechanics work.

There are 2 finishes. 1. Walk perpendicular to your opponent's body (most people get low here but honestly your height doesn't matter so much if you get the shoulder position right) and 2. get knee of belly and lift the elbow of your choking arm.

The problem that I’m having is more about negating resistance. I get very low, and I’m trying to get our bodies perpendicular (where I find it easy to finish) and people are chasing my hips with their hips, denying me the angle I want. So I’ve been putting a knee up to stop them following me, but couldn’t work out how to get the right squeeze/ shoulder angle from there. I will try going up to knee on belly and lifting the elbow of my choking arm. Cheers.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 11, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm still telling you that your grip and shoulder are not correct. It really doesn't matter much to me if people chase my hips. My arm triangle is so deep that they are choking immediately. I could mount and finish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Get the choking arm as deep as possible, drag your choking shoulder back toward their hips about 3", then drive back forward and down into their neck. You will be able to finish hip to hip once your shoulder settles in, so chasing won't matter.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Just registered for my first tournament, it's happening on 9/22.
My bracket is Male, White Belt, Masters 3, 168. So a bunch of old beginners.
Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the adrenaline dump I keep hearing about in your first competitive matches? My cardio is pretty decent, but I don't want to get crazy and gas out right out of the gate.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anecdotally, I actually had the opposite problem; everybody and their moma kept warning me about the adrenaline dump but instead I went out to the mat cold, got tapped in 30 seconds, and never even broke a sweat.

At my next tournament I again went out to the mat cold and lost on points but also got stronger as the round went on and ended in mount. Dude was gassed, I felt fine.

So, FWIW, for me it’s adrenaline dump my rear end, I’m struggling to find a sense of urgency and would kill for warm up rounds.

Edit: oh, and I was male masters 1 168 lbs, :whatup:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 11, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

That reminds me that I need to sign up for SJJIF Worlds in Long Beach this Oct. Try to redeem myself from the pathetic showing I had last year, granted I did have a busted rib, but this year I should put on a much better show.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

I'm still telling you that your grip and shoulder are not correct. It really doesn't matter much to me if people chase my hips. My arm triangle is so deep that they are choking immediately. I could mount and finish.

Alright, I'll dig through your posts for tips on shoulder positioning.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

McMadCow posted:

Just registered for my first tournament, it's happening on 9/22.
My bracket is Male, White Belt, Masters 3, 168. So a bunch of old beginners.
Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the adrenaline dump I keep hearing about in your first competitive matches? My cardio is pretty decent, but I don't want to get crazy and gas out right out of the gate.

It doesn't matter what happens, you're going to do fine. The first (several) competitions are all about learning what it's like for you to compete. Maybe you hit a wall 30 seconds in, maybe you unleash some inner beast and smoke everyone. Either way you'll probably leave with a cheap medal and heaps of new experience.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've been playing with a butterfly style forearm to forearm grip for my arm triangles and find that the twist built in to the grip encourages me to get my shoulder in the right place. But it's a weird thing I've never seen anyone else do, and the advantage might be unique to my insanely lanky arms.

Been out for a week cause I had oral surgery and got some cadaver bone bits shoved into a nerve root. Though now dead inside, recovering well.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Jack B Nimble posted:

...I’m struggling to find a sense of urgency and would kill for warm up rounds...

Do some warm ups. Work up a sweat. It takes 12-15 minutes for the muscles to really get in gear, so just do some drills and the adrenaline should creep a little faster.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Training update: subbed a blue belt with a straight ankle lock tonight. If I beat an upper belt, it means I take their powers, right?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yuns posted:

I've read your posts on the arm triangle, and while I find them useful, I feel I'm still missing most of the details.

I for one would like a video, and would even consider gifting some small amount of Canadian pesos toward such an effort if others would chip in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

McMadCow posted:

Training update: subbed a blue belt with a straight ankle lock tonight. If I beat an upper belt, it means I take their powers, right?

Sure, whatever power there is to give...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

McMadCow posted:

Thats loving stupid.

Everyone knows you take the powers of higher belts by chugging the water in the dehumidifier after class

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

McMadCow posted:

You absorb your one career special power. Yours is being ankle locked by white belts. (I tapped to a white belt straight ankle lock a couple days ago as a purp, he seemed like he really wanted to win and I was worried he'd rip it on too fast).

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I was able to work Wu Tang lyrics into the throws I was teaching White Belts last night. My proudest moment as a Juodka. Too bad no one but the other instructor got it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I was able to work Wu Tang lyrics into the throws I was teaching White Belts last night. My proudest moment as a Juodka. Too bad no one but the other instructor got it.

you should come train at our place sometime. The house music is usually the wu-tang pandora station.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Count Roland posted:

I've read your posts on the arm triangle, and while I find them useful, I feel I'm still missing most of the details.

I for one would like a video, and would even consider gifting some small amount of Canadian pesos toward such an effort if others would chip in.
I'll put together a short video; no Canadian currency needed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Sure, whatever power there is to give...

And on that particular day, there might not have been much.

Lately I dont even give a poo poo if one of the blue belts catches something on me because Im rolling light/not 100%.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

I'll put together a short video; no Canadian currency needed.

Excellent news!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You can’t just drop this without telling us the lines you used.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gordon smashing Paul Harris is going to own

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Excellent news!

You can’t just drop this without telling us the lines you used.

“You should have a few throws for every direction you can move your opponent. Diversity your throw portfolio and protect ya neck”.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

“You should have a few throws for every direction you can move your opponent. Diversity your throw portfolio and protect ya neck”.

I would also accept

"Kake Rules Everything Around Me"
"Shame on a Nage who tries to run game on a Nage"
"Survey says, ya dead"

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 13, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What’s the judo name for that move where you lay a guy’s nuts on a loving dresser, just his nuts laying on a loving dresser, and you bang them shits with a spiked loving bat?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

What’s the judo name for that move where you lay a guy’s nuts on a loving dresser, just his nuts laying on a loving dresser, and you bang them shits with a spiked loving bat?

Whassup-BLAOWWW-Gatame.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kintama o hikidashi de tsubushita ato, toge tsuita yakyuu no batto de tataita

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mods please change my name to Thorny Yak

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

god dammit I even asked my Japanese friend to translate it for me

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

google translate is just not good with Japanese to English I think. Basic judo holds don't translate correctly.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight an American brown belt at my gym was teaching back control when the opponent is in turtle and to describe how to do a seat belt grip he dropped like 3 Buffy the Vampire Slayer references that went over the Koreans heads but made me burst out loud laughing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Tonight an American brown belt at my gym was teaching back control when the opponent is in turtle and to describe how to do a seat belt grip he dropped like 3 Buffy the Vampire Slayer references that went over the Koreans heads but made me burst out loud laughing.

SATB ADN GARB

What were the references

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

SATB ADN GARB

What were the references

"You gotta use your fist like this and stab him like you're a highschool cheerleader in Sunnydale"

One was a reference to Buffy having died twice? I don't really understand that one, but it was after he showed two chokes.

The last one was where he called the demo dummy (a guy who just got his hair done bleach blonde) "Captain Peroxide" which (according to the Brown Belt) was a line one of the guys called a Vampire in the show.

They weren't amazing jokes, but the randomly appearance of them made me laugh as they caught me off guard. The guy is usually more straight laced and direct with his instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

A while back someone posted an extreme judo ukemi presentation where the main guy jumped way into the air on each one. Does anyone have that handy?

Edit: Found it

CommonShore posted:

Whenever I lead warmup at jits it includes a taste of judo-style breakfall warmups.

gently caress the limbo stick btw. Make them turtle and breakfall over each other.

Work up to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQDPGnW_DgU

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 17, 2019