Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK7yz0lCocE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hit 500 hours of mat time last night. Trying not to think about losing a year and instead just being grateful to be back on the mats.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Got dose #2 today. I'm going back in two weeks!

Separately, I love the new thread title. I saw a video awhile back about grabbing a toe hold when someone is using a knee shield in half guard. Defending the toe hold ends the knee shield. I started going to that all the time, so I fully endorse grabbing the foot in a threatening manner even when I have zero expectation that I'll actually finish the toe hold.

FreakyMetalKid fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 15, 2021

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I love that attack. And I've actually caught quite a few toeholds from there when people don't expect/respect so don't sell yourself short!

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Separately, I love the new thread title.

Same. This is me now. I just finished the Danaher leg lock videos and although I'm not an expert, I know how to attack legs. I just threaten a leg lock with a big smirk, suddenly the guard opens and I pass.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Got dose #2 today. I'm going back in two weeks!

Separately, I love the new thread title. I saw a video awhile back about grabbing a toe hold when someone is using a knee shield in half guard. Defending the toe hold ends the knee shield. I started going to that all the time, so I fully endorse grabbing the foot in a threatening manner even when I have zero expectation that I'll actually finish the toe hold.

I don't think I've had anyone gently caress with my knee shield foot with a toe hold, although having a reputation as a leg lock guy maybe shut that idea down.

I usually have the knee shield foot crossed with the bottom hook, maybe that is why no one has touched my foot in an aggressive manner.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Drewjitsu posted:

I don't think I've had anyone gently caress with my knee shield foot with a toe hold, although having a reputation as a leg lock guy maybe shut that idea down.

I usually have the knee shield foot crossed with the bottom hook, maybe that is why no one has touched my foot in an aggressive manner.

I like attacking the hip against knee shield, it's something most grapplers aren't familiar with (because it's probably an illegal move :ssh:)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like attacking the hip against knee shield, it's something most grapplers aren't familiar with (because it's probably an illegal move :ssh:)

What do you mean by attacking the hip?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Count Roland posted:

What do you mean by attacking the hip?

Maybe the one around 2:00 here? It's shown from closed guard, but I would assume it's applicable from knee shield too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zkR_evsGYk

The toehold from knee shield is legit, though. Don't forget that since half guard is a rotationally symmetric position, the bottom guy can do one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8GsNLl99U

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I'd imagine something more like this pair of techniques also from Neil Melanson, which he describes as a hip compression:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsotaaH4lk

(Of course Mechafunkzilla chime in if you have any better examples for what you were mentioning!)

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Babby white checking in.

I've been lucky being in Australia - I joined my club in December and have been rolling pretty consistently since then, apart from a few little breaks (traveling from work and surgery Monday past). I'll hopefully be back on the mats in another week because I'm jonesing for a roll.

I made the mistake of crossing my ankles in back control a few weeks ago and a 2 stripe white ankle locked me and something popped. I had no idea until after I tapped that crossing ankles is a bad idea. While it doesn't seem to have done any permanent damage (apart from it waking me up in the middle of the night a day or two later and I considered going to hospital) - I can still walk, run and roll normally - I have some occasional aches in it. Should I be looking at rehabbing it regardless and are there any decent resources?

I'm not sure how, but it was the outside of my ankle that I felt the pop, Estima-esque.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You’re probably fine but you might as well take it to a GP since you’re in Aus.

The GP might be able to diagnose it on the spot and can tell you if it’s worth worrying about. Or he might escalate it to a scan, then you can take the scan results to a physio. Even when it gets escalated to a scan/physio the whole ordeal rarely costs me more than $200.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

crowtribe posted:

Babby white checking in.

I've been lucky being in Australia - I joined my club in December and have been rolling pretty consistently since then, apart from a few little breaks (traveling from work and surgery Monday past). I'll hopefully be back on the mats in another week because I'm jonesing for a roll.

I made the mistake of crossing my ankles in back control a few weeks ago and a 2 stripe white ankle locked me and something popped. I had no idea until after I tapped that crossing ankles is a bad idea. While it doesn't seem to have done any permanent damage (apart from it waking me up in the middle of the night a day or two later and I considered going to hospital) - I can still walk, run and roll normally - I have some occasional aches in it. Should I be looking at rehabbing it regardless and are there any decent resources?

I'm not sure how, but it was the outside of my ankle that I felt the pop, Estima-esque.

I had this happen to me in a tournament. The ankle bugged me for about 4-6 months, and then after that it was fine.

I wonder if I'll feel it when I'm 60, but 3+ years afterwards, I'm not sure if it's my right or left ankle at this point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

I'd imagine something more like this pair of techniques also from Neil Melanson, which he describes as a hip compression:

(Of course Mechafunkzilla chime in if you have any better examples for what you were mentioning!)

Yeah this kind of stuff is what I was referring to. I also like getting heavy and going for shin stuff on the bottom (non-shielding) leg.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had something happen like that with me lately too, when I got sloppy when training with a white belt (I think my feet drifted to being slightly crossed while I was sinking in the choke, and he went all-in on the ankle lock) - I actually felt it in my knee more than in my ankle.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

THAT is loving brutal (as most things with him go).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

THAT is loving brutal (as most things with him go).

This is also pretty funny to watch because I once got yelled at by another blackbelt in a class Bernardo was teaching for doing that pass in sparring because "that's not a real move"

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That crossed-ankles sub is in my mind perfect example of a move that works once on everybody, twice on nobody. I believe you can neutralize it by pushing the front person's head forward but I've never tried it because I've already been caught by that sub the one time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ihop posted:

That crossed-ankles sub is in my mind perfect example of a move that works once on everybody, twice on nobody. I believe you can neutralize it by pushing the front person's head forward but I've never tried it because I've already been caught by that sub the one time.

It worked three times on me before I finally stopped crossing my ankles. Whoops!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ihop posted:

Pushing their head forwards works on all* leg attacks from inside back control.

*all that I've seen anyway.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You can also just cross your feet up on their hip pocket rather than in between their inner thighs

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is also pretty funny to watch because I once got yelled at by another blackbelt in a class Bernardo was teaching for doing that pass in sparring because "that's not a real move"

gently caress that

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pron on VHS posted:

You can also just cross your feet up on their hip pocket rather than in between their inner thighs

that's where I was when I got caught and had my knee wrenched.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got home from my first class in over 13 months

Got a long longlong way go to get back to where I was post pandemic but man it feels good to be back. It also feels sore and weak all over.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Digital Jedi posted:

Just got home from my first class in over 13 months

Got a long longlong way go to get back to where I was post pandemic but man it feels good to be back. It also feels sore and weak all over.

It won't take as long as you're dreading

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Spent all day putting mats in at the new location for our gym

21m x 12m

There's also going to be a 5m x 5m area seperate to that monster.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

:lovestare:

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

starkebn posted:

It won't take as long as you're dreading

I'm about as good as I was a year ago at bjj, but judo I definitely feel like I lost something. I'm afraid that I'm old enough that taking a year off of judo means permanent damage.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

starkebn posted:

21m x 12m

Oh that's a nice baby right there. I wonder what happened to my old judo dojo through covid. Similar dimensions and we got a bunch of junked tires to spring board the mats underneath.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

starkebn posted:

21m x 12m

Look at all that space! Post a pic of the other area, too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

21m x 12m

Looks great!!

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Just looking for some opinions. With many of you vaxxed and back training - do you have kids? Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated and I am anxious to get back to training but we have been very careful, especially because of our young kids who are 1 and 3. They have all their basic shots but obviously nothing for COVID, they aren't in daycare currently. I am struggling with my decision to either go back now or keep waiting until this whole thing is further improved. I know it is not a simple question I am just curious to get some other grappling parents' viewpoints.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pedialyte posted:

Just looking for some opinions. With many of you vaxxed and back training - do you have kids? Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated and I am anxious to get back to training but we have been very careful, especially because of our young kids who are 1 and 3. They have all their basic shots but obviously nothing for COVID, they aren't in daycare currently. I am struggling with my decision to either go back now or keep waiting until this whole thing is further improved. I know it is not a simple question I am just curious to get some other grappling parents' viewpoints.

We’re in the same boat. Our son is just under a year old. We will be fully vaccinated in about 3 weeks.

Our current opinion (subject to change) is that if case numbers are low, and local vaccination is high (supposedly about 70% of eligible adults in our city have at least 1 shot as of right now) we will go back in person, making sure to shower well and keep all the potentially contaminated laundry out of reach of the baby.

Also supposedly most of the gym has gotten their vaccines as well.

Still a few weeks away for us, but we’re leaning towards returning in person if those conditions don’t get worse.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
One of the black belts at my gym is in a similar boat, and he's been coming in outside of normal class hours and only training with other vaccinated people. That's another option to consider.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

L0cke17 posted:

We’re in the same boat. Our son is just under a year old. We will be fully vaccinated in about 3 weeks.

Our current opinion (subject to change) is that if case numbers are low, and local vaccination is high (supposedly about 70% of eligible adults in our city have at least 1 shot as of right now) we will go back in person, making sure to shower well and keep all the potentially contaminated laundry out of reach of the baby.

Also supposedly most of the gym has gotten their vaccines as well.

Still a few weeks away for us, but we’re leaning towards returning in person if those conditions don’t get worse.

Thanks, this is how I was feeling before this week where we are back above 2000 cases per day in my state. We have done well as a state with vaccinations but I know there are some cooks currently training at my gym who will be a risk. I may just keep playing it day by day and see what case counts look like next week.

Nestharken posted:

One of the black belts at my gym is in a similar boat, and he's been coming in outside of normal class hours and only training with other vaccinated people. That's another option to consider.

Good idea - I don't think I can make this happen with my gym but I will ask. I do have some mats at home I could drag outside and have over some vaccinated partners at least.

Pedialyte fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 30, 2021

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've been operating under the possibly incorrect understanding that being fully vaxed means low/zero chance of transmitting it from someone else to my toddler at home. He's been back to daycare for months and other than an endless series of colds there haven't been any covid cases in his class.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pedialyte posted:

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a doctor and I don't have kids.

That being said, young people are highly resilient when it comes to covid. Check out this table of deaths by age group.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Of the more than half a million deaths in the US sure to covid, less than 300 of those people were less than 18 years old. They're also less likely to get it, less likely to exhibit symptoms, and less likely to require hospitalization by large margins compared to the general population.

On the other hand, the Pfizer vaccine is apparently showing a lot of promise when it comes to young people. I think it will be some time though before they get to trying it on kids as young as yours.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

ihop posted:

I've been operating under the possibly incorrect understanding that being fully vaxed means low/zero chance of transmitting it from someone else to my toddler at home. He's been back to daycare for months and other than an endless series of colds there haven't been any covid cases in his class.

That's good to hear. I was under that impression of being fully vaccinated as well. But some recent guidelines from the CDC and our health department state that masks and distance are still necessary if inside while fully vaxxed if you live with unvaccinated individuals. I am not trying to argue for or against that but it did make us pause and wonder what we should do.

Count Roland posted:

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a doctor and I don't have kids.

That being said, young people are highly resilient when it comes to covid. Check out this table of deaths by age group.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Of the more than half a million deaths in the US sure to covid, less than 300 of those people were less than 18 years old. They're also less likely to get it, less likely to exhibit symptoms, and less likely to require hospitalization by large margins compared to the general population.

On the other hand, the Pfizer vaccine is apparently showing a lot of promise when it comes to young people. I think it will be some time though before they get to trying it on kids as young as yours.

Right, I am more trying to protect them against the more likely (than death) scenario where anyone has lingering/long symptoms. I do admit though that we are erring on the side of extra (extra) careful. I agree though that it really does seem to be a much less likelihood of risk for them especially now that our youngest is 1 and had her 1 year old shots.

Pedialyte fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 30, 2021

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Pedialyte posted:

I have three boys, 6, 8, and 10. We all returned training in May 2020 when our gym re-opened and haven't had any issues. No outbreaks at the gym either. People who tested positive over the last year (including myself) stayed home until testing negative. I'm fully vaccinated now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The age factor has shifted, note. In Canada the new variants are loving up younger people and teenagers pretty bad and putting them into the ICU where OG Covid wasn't.