Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I got caught in a rear triangle today, which I'd never seen until I watched a Danaher instructional on attacking from side control. As he was getting it I said "hey I seen this in the Danaher tape" and he laughed then tightened the lock. Happy(?) to report it's every bit as tight a strangle as Danaher says it is.

I was feeling bad for the uke in this series but then I looked up his instagram and he had a story about carhardt being a bad company because it is run by f slurs so actually I'm fine if he gets crushed some more.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Rear triangles are fun because if you go for an armbar at the same time, uke has trouble prioritizing what to defend while you adjust and tighten it.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Won my first match at the tournament today. Lost the next two, but I'm happy with how it went.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

duckdealer posted:

Won my first match at the tournament today. Lost the next two, but I'm happy with how it went.

Hell yeah, congrats on the win!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

duckdealer posted:

Awesome! Congrats on the win!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats on the win!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Rear triangles are fun because if you go for an armbar at the same time, uke has trouble prioritizing what to defend while you adjust and tighten it.

Yeah, I went for the rear triangle the other day after watching that segment of the tape, and didn't get it, but I got an armbar finish.

I think this might be the best instructional I've ever seen (new wave side attacks). I've been able to do some of the stuff from there immediately in rolling.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I got caught in a rear triangle today, which I'd never seen until I watched a Danaher instructional on attacking from side control. As he was getting it I said "hey I seen this in the Danaher tape" and he laughed then tightened the lock. Happy(?) to report it's every bit as tight a strangle as Danaher says it is.

I was feeling bad for the uke in this series but then I looked up his instagram and he had a story about carhardt being a bad company because it is run by f slurs so actually I'm fine if he gets crushed some more.

The uke in the Danaher vid?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

The uke in the Danaher vid?

yeah, Placido.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Hellblazer187 posted:

lol grappling

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I’ve been a dick to my training partners and trying to hit this for the last week… finally had my breakthrough today.

https://bjjconcepts.net/instructionals/roadhouse

My goal is to not get good at grappling but at weird poo poo that makes my training partners question their existence.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ive been catching the arm from the opposite side of the body and really experimenting with shoulder locks especially from a wedding sweep position (which I am finally starting to work with efficiency).

I might post a video about this considering how ridiculously easy this is to catch on someone who doesn't see the arm trap.

duckdealer posted:

Thats awesome!

stramit posted:

I’ve been a dick to my training partners and trying to hit this for the last week… finally had my breakthrough today.

https://bjjconcepts.net/instructionals/roadhouse

My goal is to not get good at grappling but at weird poo poo that makes my training partners question their existence.

Thats pretty interesting, but honestly I think its too well defended by anyone who is somewhat mobile from half (base is lost when there is a grip on the throat).

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 24, 2024

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thats pretty interesting, but honestly I think its too well defended by anyone who is somewhat mobile from half (base is lost when there is a grip on the throat).

I’m a big believer in Rob and his techniques and coaching. He goes into it in detail on the instructional but he calls it a low risk medium reward move. You don’t sacrifice position to go for it, but your partner must respect it so you can often use it to progress your position further up the hierarchy. It turns out it is also pretty easy to reach through frames with an outstretched hand ;)

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

On a random trip to Hanoi, Vietnam for the Easter break, and man...these guys are legit good and fun to train with. Having a ton of fun going to morning classes for no-gi and then just hanging out doing remote work/studying during the majority of the midday and getting some awesome food at night.

Highly recommend Vietnam Top Team if you're ever in this country. I've heard Ho Chi Minh also has some amazing gyms but I've not gone down that way at all.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Man I'm a fat lard with weak forearms. It was like riding a bicycle getting back into the kimura game but my lungs and arms betrayed me

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I love it when the tricks you teach people start being used on you.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Finally a chance to learn the defence.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I love it better when people use my tricks on me, because then I get to show them the sneaky rear end reversal.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
My hobbiest friend just signed up for a pretty provincial blue belt masters competition. A new guy just signed up in his bracket - pro mma fighter currently signed to bellator, competes in bare knuckle boxing league, second place at world sambo championship, juiced to the gills. My friend is gonna have a rough loving day.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That's one of the reasons I decided I just wouldn't bother competing. Meeting up with a TRT assisted tradie who watches too many warrior mindset videos just isn't my scene

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

stramit posted:

My hobbiest friend just signed up for a pretty provincial blue belt masters competition. A new guy just signed up in his bracket - pro mma fighter currently signed to bellator, competes in bare knuckle boxing league, second place at world sambo championship, juiced to the gills. My friend is gonna have a rough loving day.

lol that's a rough draw. reckon I'd be thrilled just to go the distance

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm 205-215, 5'8" big dog kinda guy. I did an absolute tournament a few months back and lost to a 145 pro MMA fighter (LFA champion). Rough day for your homie.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Could be worse, your friend could be one of the guys who had to compete with mighty mouse

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Buschmaki posted:

Could be worse, your friend could be one of the guys who had to compete with mighty mouse

One of my old sparring partners took third in MM's division. He was the victim in that recent highlight of Might Mouse ragdolling and stunting on someone.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We had a real good hobbyist white belt fire fighter great gas tank and he was feeling so good fo his competition (30 years old) was definitely ready for Blue and his first match was against some 22 year old who wrestled at the national level in Hs lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol, just think if the IBJJF ranked you on performance instead of belt, weight, and age. Like ELO in a video game.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

stramit posted:

I'm signed up for our national gi championship the next weekend as a 1,5y white belt and since we're a tiny country we've got 6 people in my weight class (no belt / age rankings separated). My opponents are my gym mate (IBJJF European champ), another brown belt, one blue belt and two white belts.

It's coming home.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got my orange belt in judo :D. Not gonna supplant my purple belt mummy pick for it though.

Testing was funny, I demonstrated the throws smoothly and when we got to the ground it all went to poo poo, because the instructor would say something like "Closed guard" sweep, and I do one and they say "not that one." then I'd cycle through them until I found one he wanted. This was repeated for turtle turn overs, sankaku, armbars, half guard escapes.

edit: "Like dude, I know a million ways to accomplish what you want. You're either gonna have to demo it really quickly or post a video somewhere."

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 5, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

Got my orange belt in judo :D.

Congratulations!

I'm finish up my orange belt testing now and, as a BJJ purple belt, I had similar experience where they'd say "half nelson turnover" and I'd do one and they'd say "good guess, but not that one".

How long have you been training in Judo? Has it had any noticeable change on your BJJ game?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Congratulations!

I'm finish up my orange belt testing now and, as a BJJ purple belt, I had similar experience where they'd say "half nelson turnover" and I'd do one and they'd say "good guess, but not that one".

How long have you been training in Judo? Has it had any noticeable change on your BJJ game?

I started January 2023 and only go like once week for class and very rarely go for the two hour randori session on the weekend. So maybe something like 90 hours of actual judo instruction, it hasn't really affected my ground game except I'm more willing to deadlift uranage the crap out of people who go to turtle like I'm some sort of NJPW dude because in Judo I can straight up get ippon for doing that. My standup game has taken large strides, like ridiculously large strides in BJJ. I used to rely a lot on getting around to people's back via arm drags, russian ties and body locks to hit Uranage, Tani Otoshi, or Kimura rolls, but now my high percentage attacks are Snap Downs, Tsubame Gaeshi, Deashi/Kosoto Gari, and Yoko Gake. I don't think I've lost a take down fight in BJJ in months outside of against the Judo black belt that trains with us.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Got my orange belt in judo :D. Not gonna supplant my purple belt mummy pick for it though.

Testing was funny, I demonstrated the throws smoothly and when we got to the ground it all went to poo poo, because the instructor would say something like "Closed guard" sweep, and I do one and they say "not that one." then I'd cycle through them until I found one he wanted. This was repeated for turtle turn overs, sankaku, armbars, half guard escapes.

edit: "Like dude, I know a million ways to accomplish what you want. You're either gonna have to demo it really quickly or post a video somewhere."

Thats awesome and congrats!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Put leather treatment on my jodog. Some of the edges have been drying out in the sun. Between the studs and the weight, it doesn't exactly go in the dryer. Not sure what happens long term with smell.

It's been 6 month since i started weekly training in bokh and shuaijiao. Have to write up some notes and gifs detailing my progress and understanding of the rulesets.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Put leather treatment on my jodog. Some of the edges have been drying out in the sun. Between the studs and the weight, it doesn't exactly go in the dryer. Not sure what happens long term with smell.

It's been 6 month since i started weekly training in bokh and shuaijiao. Have to write up some notes and gifs detailing my progress and understanding of the rulesets.

Im sorry I mean no disrespect...what the hell am I looking at here? /actualignorance

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im sorry I mean no disrespect...what the hell am I looking at here? /actualignorance

it's a diaper

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

. Not sure what happens long term with smell.

After you get done with practice, wipe down your Jodong with a relatively clean rag, then when you get home from practice grab a spray bottle and put in it a solution of diluted vinegar, lightly mist it, let it sit for a moment then wipe it down with a clean rag then hang it up to dry in a decently open space. Before doing this the first time spray only a tiny part of your jodog to see if the vinegar is going to stain poorly. That should keep your gear from being stanky.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

what's jodog? :smuggo:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I think it's a mongolian wrestling jacket

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Sorry, I think jodag is the more 'common' spelling, and by common I mean if you search for that spelling I'm in the first video hit on google, vs nothing about wrestling under jodog.

It's the jacket worn in the Inner Mongolian version of Mongolian wrestling. The cut provides primary grips at the upper arm and waist, and then secondary grips across the back.
You don't have the convenient landing points on the lapels or at the collar, though of course you're still free to go for no-gi grips.
Between the available grips, the stiffness of the leather, and the ruleset (first non-foot contact is a throw, no hand attacks on the legs for Inner Mongolian), it fosters a pretty interesting grappling style.
Reading about all the folk wrestling formats out there is a trip, anthropologically.

Some stock pics to illustrate how it's worn and how you can grip it.

Gonna make an effort post on how it compares to Shuaijiao, a descendant art with a much more familiar cloth short-sleeve jacket.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 8, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It's the jacket worn in the Inner Mongolian version of Mongolian wrestling.

drat that looks like fun. Now I understand a little bit better why they are so good at Judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

is the Dojang restrictive? The way it looks like it rests makes me think your arms don't have full mobility.