Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Thinking about going to BJJ class today, having never done any martial arts what should i expect from my first lesson, and what clothing shall i wear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I did my first BJJ class last night, it was really fun. I Do have a sore Adam’s apple today though after a girl squeezed it from guard.... I wasn’t sure she was even going for a submission so didn’t tap quick enough. I need to get familiar with when people are close to submissions I guess.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I’m 6ft 2” 79kg which size gi should I get A2 or A3?

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I’m thinking of buying a second gi; I want something that is super lightweight so it drys quickly, and also because my instructor insists on the room we train in being incredibly hot.

Can I get a few suggestions on lightweight gis please.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

ihop posted:

Yeah a 5 ought to be pretty close for you. I'm 5'11" 180lbs and although I usually buy fuji 4s, they eventually shrink too far for high-level competition (no one gives a poo poo at practice/local tournaments.)

A hot wash and dry might shrink the sleeves up to 1-2 inches so you should be good to go.

Judo gis are also designed to look/feel unflattering on everyone.

Is there limit to how tight fitting you can go with your gi in some competitions? I’ve be often thought it would be an advantage to wear a smaller gi.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

What’s a good way to finish a RNC in a gi if I can’t get under the chin and don’t want to squeeze anyone’s face?

I’ve been training 9 months and can only remember maybe 2 successful RNCs.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

tbh I'll usually switch over to a collar choke in the gi. between wanting to avoid the face squeeze / neck crank and how many neckless muscleboys I roll with, I don't remember the last time I got a pure RNC in the gi

Yeah that’s normally what I do. Your previous post leads me to believe that squeezing the face is the best way to get to the neck.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Not high level but Russel Brand is a one stripe white belt.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Popped my rib again in class today lol Not as bad as the first time. I think I just popped some of the scar tissue but I definitely heard a "pop".

You just got to laugh this poo poo off when it happens....

What does popped a rib actually mean? I hear people say it but what injury is actually occurring ?

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

1 year white belt, competing for the first time this weekend. I have never sparred from standing. Only drilled takedowns etc.

I plan on sparring from the feet tonight. Please pray for me.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Well I lost my first tournament. But learned a lot, IBBJF rules is not the same as rolling in the gym. Next time I’m going to focus 100% on position and scoring points. And only going for a sub if it’s 100% on. Or if I’m a long way ahead on points.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I pulled guard ended up with butterfly hooks in, sat there for a bit waiting for the right moment to sweep, got the sweep, went to knee on, but didn’t hold it long enough to score, got to 3/4 guard so no points got too exited and started attacking arms, he rolled I made a fairly poo poo attempt at a bow and arrow choke, didn’t get it. He swept me and I spent the rest of the match under his side control then mount then surviving his bow and arrow choke attempt. Hahah

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Do most not just gyms go by Ibjjf rules for rolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Anyone here ever develop a hernia from grappling? How long did you take off after surgery. I’ve just had mine repaired and I’m worried it will be several months before I can roll.