Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Can you run to a gym, it sounds like you should run to a gym

Also just go for it, work hard. Believe. Every time champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
As a dude that trained for a little over 5 years with Lloyd, literally none of this is a surprise.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
probably you're mounting a little lower than you should; you can do that as you get a little better but especially at the beginning you should mount a little bit away from the hips. the most basic thing to just to make sure you're really stable. when somebody brings their hips up feel free to drop your feet underneath and use them to create more pressure. if they roll sideways out from there go against their movement and take the back.

i've never really had a great mount game, I mostly use it as an avenue to take the back, so I'm sure someone better at the position can give you better advice. anyway, it sounds like you did great! in the future, a thing that helped me early on was whenever I would panic I would literally count my breaths to keep conscious of them.

edit:
if it's the choke i'm thinking of it's all about the [counter]clockwise motion. you aren't going to be able to finish it by muscling it in

Gourd of Taste fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 13, 2013

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I realized recently that the reason that my game doesn't really do what it should, and I think it's because my game is just a mass of moves that I enjoy doing, and doesn't really have much of a goal. I'm thinking that I should start focusing on back maintenance and back attacks, and then just focus on back takes from everywhere. As a sidenote, I spend a lot of time stuck on the bottom of closed guard, and I'm thinking maybe I should switch to half guard because it seems like a better path to the back most of the time.

If you were to scrap everything you knew about grappling and start again, and choose to build a certain *type* of game, what would you choose?

i realized that i had spent years rolling as a big gangly guy that tried idiot sweeps and weird chokes to compensate and started lifting weights

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

to add to this, to get something classified as a slam you essentially have to take a running/leaping start or specifically spike someone directly onto the top of their head

I've seen some really rough takedowns but especially at purple and above you have to be kind of an rear end in a top hat to get called on slamming