Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«23 »
JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

Also, anyone have any instructional vids regarding escaping from side mount to either half guard and then performing a sweep, or other quality side mount escapes?

How we learned it in class just isn't clicking so I'm hoping to take those notes and see if I can figure out a better way to help me understand it.

This guy knows what he's talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7vmzcc3ldA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

As for rolling yea I've heard different things from different instructors, the first guy was pretty cautious (it was my 1st day) the second guy had no qualms with me rolling at the end but I had cut my foot open from mat burn to the point it was bleeding a lot so I called it quits early. Again he said they're lenient which is cool, he said another good gym in the area requires someone to have two stripes before sparring which seems excessive. My major concern about rolling isn't spazzing out or not respecting people (i did fine the few times I did it) I just feel bad being so useless against higher ranked dudes and basically becoming and instantly submittable grappling dummy and wasting their time (though I assume every new whitebelt feels like this)

Everyone has been where you are, so everyone who's not a prick should help you learn. Work on your defense, just try to survive. Have a plan, if you know they're going to pass your guard figure out what you want to do next and how you want your body to be positioned so that you can get back to guard, for example. Ask questions, I always ask what I could have done better or for someone to show me a counter to whatever they caught me with. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Watch a ton of videos if you can.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

TL;DR that guy is a loving dickhead. Bring it up to the instructor and don't roll with that guy. He could easily injure someone, he's creating an unpleasant gym environment. At my gym if there is someone like that, they roll with purple, brown, and black belts until they learn their lesson.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

manyak posted:

Sometimes im the "why are you tapping out" guy, I always tap early but there are some guys who do the thing where as soon as youre in position for a sub they just tap ("you were about to get me soon anyway") and i have to explain thats a lovely way to train, if you were just gonna tap as soon as you felt like theres a chance you might get submitted just skip rolling altogether and tap before you start

Because if they don't know how to defend things get broken. Don't be a dick and teach them the defense instead of saying "why are you tapping"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

manyak posted:

I do, im talking about them doing stuff like tapping to a head and arm choke as soon as its anywhere near locked up, because they dont like feeling uncomfortable, which results in them never actually getting good at the defense and the other guy never getting to practice actually finishing a submission

Fair, chokes are different.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If someone could edit Conor McGregor and "Dork with a ponytail" into that video...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

I definitely will.

We can all enjoy me spazzing around for 5 or 6 minutes with some big dude laying on top of me.

Sounds like good times.

Are you doing Masters 1 Super Heavy? If so I'm somewhat glad I skipped Pan Ams

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Thanks, yea we have all types of gis in my gym as far as I can tell (they definitely don't require you to buy from them), one of the girls wears a pink one. I was thinking about getting a black one. I know there are a bunch of options for gis/rash guards I was just wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations for cheap yet effective products they've had experience with because I'd rather go with someone's personal experience than into the dark. I think I'm gonna get a long sleeve rashguard and board shorts for now.

I'm up to 6 gis, I actually need 2 more. So welcome to that addiction. There's a million companies that make gis so find something in your size and go for it.

I got the Sub Sports rash guard and spats off Amazon because they were cheap, like $20 each, and they work just fine. Amazon also has some cheap fight shorts.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

Who needs eight? Are you just buying one gi for every week you've been training?

I want one for each class I take so I'm not constantly washing gis or waiting for them to dry. Yes, I train 8 times a week.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You over analyze way too much. Dude is a dick.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think it's generally just a thing that happens. Some schools are completely arbitrary on belt promotions, Sergio Penha's here in Vegas for example, others require you to teach classes or whatever to get promoted, so guys can stay at a belt level for a pretty long time. There can be a huge skill discrepancy within belts so you might as well compete at the level where you feel like you have the best shot of winning, you know if that's your goal in competition...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

All of Firas Zahabi's stuff is pretty good IMO

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

This is a good thing, if for any other reason then it means you shouldn't have any spazzy white belts to injure you/be injured by you.

This. Also kinda weird since outside of our competition class we start all rolls from sitting or kneeling.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Start seated and stop worrying about takedowns.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

Is there a better way to get it whiter outside of using bleach?

Oxi-Clean, white vinegar, lemons, sunlight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Been watching a bunch of Rob Biernacki's videos on youtube. He's got a relatively different way of explaining the fundamentals. Might be a good watch for people.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The guy I'm competing against May 7th's Facebook profile is mostly fight meme's and anime....So which of you am I fighting?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got 2nd in my first IBJJF tournament today

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

IT BEGINS posted:

Baller, grats. What were your matches like?

Thanks. I'm super heavy and 5'7" so basically everyone is taller by a good bit. First match was Rob Gronkowski's Canadian twin, super strong aggressive guy, he shot for the takedown I stuffed it and went to his back, he rolled to guard, I passed and mounted. Ended up beating him 17-0 on points.

Second match I basically got my rear end kicked. I was pretty gassed from my first match and went for a pretty poor leg sweep that after a scramble ended up with me in bottom side control. The guy basically held me there for a while, I was able to work to half guard and get a reversal but when I went for mount I messed up and got swept and mounted.

It was my first tournament so it was a pretty good learning experience and I came away knowing what part of my game I need to work on.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

yeah it's pretty sweet when you get a two man division

3 man

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Then there's the dude who angrily jumps on an ankle lock after the round is over because he couldn't pass your guard.

Had similar thing happen today with 30 seconds left, purple belt goes nuts trying to get a finish, I end up grabbing a single on him and he somehow tried to jump and RNC me but instead just punched me in the mouth...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Long sleeve rash guards and spats....

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Almost had my arm broken today because while practicing arm bars from guard the new white belt would frantically crank them and shoot his hips up as high as possible, despite me telling him like 5 times to slow down, so when the instructor was speaking to him while he was cranking his arm bar he somehow didn't hear me say tap 4 times. That was fun.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Any San Diego jits goons?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

eshock posted:

I used to live/train in SD but moved away about a year ago, if that's any help.

I'm 99% to head down for a few days this week. Jeff Glover is a friend of mine so was going to go by and train with him but was hoping to roll with some goons as well. Am now contemplating what other places I must drop in a class at.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

soy posted:

Going to be in LA next week on business and planning to drop in a 10th planet for a few classes while I'm there.

While you could do that, Jean Jacques Machado is in LA, as well as Xande Ribiero

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

origami posted:

Not only do I think it would be a waste for him I think it would be a waste of time for the gym too - but it looks like everybody disagrees with me so

I mean you realize that most gyms teach a fundamentals class right? So...Yeah.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Girls are gross obv

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Here's a thought. Who's she most likely to use BJJ against in a real life application? Yep, your creepy 215lbs rapist rear end. Let her learn.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

My first competition as a blue belt is going to be the Nationals. How bad should I expect to be owned?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

You're a blue belt already? I should train more...

The advantages of living 2 minutes away from your gym and not having to work...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

soy posted:

Everyone just move to LA or San Diego, it's cheap to live there and holy poo poo so many schools you could train at a different academy every day if you wanted and they would all own.

Las Vegas

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Keg posted:

Rorion's idiot shithead kids are getting rid of online blue belts (replacing it with a white belt with a blue stripe) and are requiring their white belts to have at least a year of rolling experience before they can test for blue belts now. Good.

$53 Million they made last year....

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Dallas is the correct answer for low cost of living and tons of bjj

But then you A) Have to live in Dallas. And B) Don't get near the quality of instruction that you would in Vegas

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Keg posted:

Speaking of that, did you ever do an A/T thread about your WSOP experience?

I did not. But feel free to ask away if you'd like.

Edit: To be fair I think at the time when people probably would have been interested I was too busy traveling the world and trying to have sex with cocktail waitresses and strippers. Now I don't know if anyone even remembers or cares.

JaySB fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2016 around 00:44

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Keg posted:

Well did you have sex with the strippers?

Many strippers, many cocktail waitresses, many random girls. Found a good chick that I should have married but didn't. Blew a bunch of money, had the best 3 years of my adult life by far....And now I'm here.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

origami posted:

I still remember mine! - kimura from the bottom that was all muscle and then I never saw the guy again.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen the brown belt I tapped on day 2 with a kimura.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was like, welp, it isn't gonna get much better from here for a long time. And whattya know. It hasn't.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Ohhhhh, you used to have an Ask/Tell about this right? That was a good thread.

I had an ask me anything about Vegas thread which got moved to tourism and travel. Which is now just the Las Vegas thread I guess.

On topic, my gym is not a leg lock gym at all. Is that at all weird?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What videos do you guys show people if you're trying to show them what BJJ is, or convince them to try it out? How do you try to sell it?

I'm putting together a video specifically to show new people, and I'm curious what other people like to show.

Jiu Jitsu VS The World

For anyone with a decent attention span, I think this is an incredible documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyyp7uVmiA

JaySB fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2016 around 09:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

To each their own. I liked Roll a lot as well. But if I was trying to explain to someone "What is jiu jitsu and why do I let sweaty dudes in pajamas choke me" that is the video I would show them to explain it.

«23 »