Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

^^^^ Good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

In what style?

Krav Maga obv

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

Obviously...

My bad, I was thinking I was in the A/T MA thread. My question is way less relevant in the Grappling thread.

I mean you could have just said "I have a black/brown belt in judo" rather than being pedantic.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

Again my bad. It seems goons in both threads tend to focus most on BJJ so I was honestly curious if the question was directed towards a certain style for follow up questions. Since it's the grappling thread my question was a bit pedantic but like I said I thought I was in the A/T thread where the question would have probably been more valid.

Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic. Hug it out?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nierbo posted:

My favourite is the red marks I get on my neck from getting collar choked. I still have yet to ever pull off a RNC or something like that with the gi. The lapels are just too thick.

Git gud

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm having one of those weeks where everything is just clicking. Not getting subbed by higher belts aside from a couple really good ones who are also much bigger than me and demolishing guys at my level. Chaining together attacks, hitting new sweeps. Even subbed a 4 stripe purple belt today with a knee bar. Feels pretty pretty pretty good.

I just know next week everyone is gonna kick my rear end but whatever.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got ringworm. Knew the good week would end poorly.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just ordered some. Got Lotrimin ringworm cream as well (it's on my face)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

IT BEGINS posted:

Decided to bet my friend $100 that next time I visit his gym I'll choke him out in gi and nogi. So in like six months I'll either be $100 richer or unconscious. Seems like a good idea.

What is his relative skill level to yours?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm a week out from Nationals and haven't been able to train because of this ringworm and I think I have pneumonia. Go me. Do I say gently caress it and still compete? Or is the smart play to not do that?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We have a guy who used to say oss after literally every sentence the instructor would say in class. Enough people made fun of him that he stopped.

Class still says oss twice at the end, once to Helio and once to instructor

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone else up on this whole Donkey Guard vs. Gracie tournaments fiasco?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I agree. I am also of the opinion it is "their tournament, their rules." But it's moderately insulting to say "You can't use Donkey Guard, it's silly, in a street fight you'd get kicked in the nuts" as your logic for banning it.

I think it's more than retarded that you can't heel hook in gi tournaments, amongst other things as well.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

origami posted:

What are your opinions wrt competing with ringworm on your face

Considering I haven't trained and cancelled my entry. You guess. I'm still hoping it clears up by then though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

i'm rolling 5x a week now & all I know is pain

Epsom salt baths and glucosamine chondroitin are your best friends. That or just energy conservation.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

As a bigger guy (6'4 220) how much weight should I be putting on people? When I am lucky and one of the bigger guys is there its no problem, but when Im rolling with someone who is 40+ lbs lighter, should I just be sinking my weight on them? I feel bad because I did wrestle a decade plus ago in highschool so I know how to sprawl and keep control with my weight, but am I doing them a disservice by not going full weight cause they dont train against full resistance, or am I doing them a service by providing at least some resistance so partner can pull off the move were practicing?

If they are a lower skill level, ease up the pressure a bit maybe and let them try to work through the technique. Also focus on using technique yourself rather than pure weight. If they're higher skill level, give it to em. I, personally, hate it when anyone takes it easy on me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I read a recap about the guy and he seems like he really had a tough life and did stuff that made it harder.

Mostly this. I've known Bill a long time.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

Leglocks are like any other moves. If you lock it in and your opponent moves the wrong way and you don't let go he gets hurt. Like wise if you get locked in a leg lock and screw up defending, you're gonna get hurt. If you screw up applying a leg lock, your opponent is gonna take advantage and at least end up top half guard if not completely past your guard, and at worst put you in a leg lock. If you apply a leg lock don't be a complete douche to your training partners and crank them to max.

Yeah but the problem is that there can be serious damage before pain.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

...which is why it's important to actually learn and practice leg locks, so you don't get hurt due to inexperience. Also that's really only true for heel hooks.

I've never seen someone get hurt from a heel hook in training, but I have seen people hurt themselves because they were unfamiliar with leglock positions and tried to roll out of stuff the wrong way.

Wasn't advocating for not training leg locks.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

WayneCampbell posted:

I had three different people just stand up in my guard today, spread their base and lean forward. The one was making the mistake of keeping his hips super high so I just loaded him on my feet and spun and tossed him but the other two kept their hips low and kept driving forward.

What do I do in this situation? They weren't exactly mounting an effective offense but at the same time it wasn't pleasant and it was frustrating as I was unable to mount any effective escape attempts or offensive attempts on my own.

Grab ankles, drive knees into their chest, pull ankles push knees.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

John Danaher just dropped some knowledge regarding the Mike Davila situation
https://www.facebook.com/john.danaher.96/posts/177893575959701

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Man, I'm so over Bill Cooper

Go on?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Just beat my team mate

Sorry for your loss. Bill is the man, known him since he was 16 or so.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Oh man, my friend who's a Sergio Penha black belt just told me Gordon Ryan and Garry Tonon are gonna be at his gym tonight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got to watch Garry Tonon and Gordon Ryan roll last night. Pretty cool to see a couple world class guys in action.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just trying to spice it up and talk about some hot man on man action

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Shot in the dark. Anyone ever trained in Singapore or Bali?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I vaguely recall that Singapore has some totally baller gyms. Evolve is supposed to be good?

Evolve from what I've been told is a really really nice facility. I want to know about their classes though, according to their website there's separate BJJ and BJJ randori classes. And while I relish the idea of taking my gi around the world with me, not being able to actually roll in it doesn't seem like it's worth it. I won't be in Singapore during a time when they have a randori class at Evolve.

Ideally I'd like to find a place that teaches no gi since spats and shorts take up way less space than my gi, I'm trying to pack for 3 weeks in carry on luggage with a drone.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

You should train at Evolve because my friend and former training partner Chatri founded it. Also because it's nice as hell with an elite coaching staff. You can call or email them about no gi training times for the dates you are there.

Yeah, I've emailed them. No gi isn't offered when I'll be in Singapore. I suppose I'll just clarify with them about BJJ vs BJJ Randori.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Sub Only grappling tournament on YouTube with some pretty decent names streaming now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXySY5PQmL8

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Why'd you break my stream Kek?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I did my first competition after 2 months of training. It's a fun experience, just get out there and learn something.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Do you feel like they add a lot to your skill?

Yes

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There's one kid at my gym who I don't want to roll with because he has the dead eyes of a serial killer and he goes 100% like he's in a fight for his life every roll. And as much as I want to, I can't bring myself to not be kinda nice to my training partners. He's kinda nice off the mat though, cordial but I wouldn't want to be alone with him

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Not really criticizing you but just thought it was hilarious that there is a website whose name is literally the answer to your question.

Also in grappling news, my teammate Gordon Ryan just challenged Dillon Danis, Matheus Diniz and Munchie of the Marcelo Dream Team to back to back to back no time limit sub only matches against him all in the same day for $25,000.

I saw a pic of $10k they upped to $25k now? That's awesome.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Holy poo poo....This has turned into an epic poo poo talking session

https://www.facebook.com/dillon.danis/posts/10153844131625869?comment_id=10153844220300869&notif_t=comment_mention&notif_id=1472677605764333

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I turned 30 this year and I feel guilty about entering the masters divison. Gonna kill a buncha old dudes

I'm 32. Come at me bro

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah if 30 is considered "masters" in most tournaments then I'm gonna gently caress up a bunch of old guys in a year. I can barely hang with the 24 year olds in my gym but I have no problems taking down 45 year olds on my way to silver & gold medals

Well the problem is you'll be competing against guys 30-35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

LOL Ayahuasca LLC