Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I was trying it out to indicate a tantalizing leg lock opportunity. Didn't seem to land.

spandexcajun posted:

^ I guess I got it ;)

Why would you ignore 50% of the human body?

Yeah, I mean I got it in that sense. Just wasn't sure if we were talking about using the legs to exploit the post. I already mentioned the kneebar from bottom half. None of it is particularly applicable from full guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Similarly, I've started to finally build a "game" instead of randomly going for whatever I think will work. I've had a lot of success with half guard from bottom and I am wondering if its just a preference or a crutch. Like, should I keep work on advancing my game from a good half guard or try to not rely so much on half guard from the bottom.

Complicated answer, as someone who is basically only good at half guard, work your half guard game if you enjoy it and transition to follow up positions like reverse de la riva, single leg x, x guard, etc. once you're comfortable in most of those positions then go and work on the poo poo you know you suck at.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yes, it will slow your progress down if you're waiting for opportunities rather than creating them. Take advantage of the openings you're given, always, but developing a game is important.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah right now my biggest weakness I am trying to work on is my open guard game because I am poo poo at passing it and poo poo and using it myself

My biggest issue with open guard is that I keep getting pulled right into either closed or spider guard when I try to pass

Having a grip advantage is huge to passing open guard. I'm a leg drag, toreando, step through, and diving kimura kinda guy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

First day back on the mats post surgery was a success. Had to tap to mount pressure though. Felt good to be back and moving around.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't want a blue belt until I can beat anyone with a white belt 99 times out of 100

Like, if I get my blue belt and a white belt could still tap me I would give the belt back

I know a couple D1 wrestlers that are going to beat you no matter what belt you have...It's a poo poo attitude to have.

Belts are not an indication of skill, physical ability, competition prowess etc. it's just a symbol of knowledge and time spent learning.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough, it's just what I tell myself to stay focused on getting better.

Like, I dont want to be one of those guys who see belts as something you get as an investment of time that you are owed by hitting a set number of years or hours or whatever. By looking at it as a skill gap it just lets me focus on getting better.

Whatever motivates you but I think it's incorrect. If you're so worried about getting tapped by lower belts or losing rounds in the gym you're never going to put yourself into positions you're not comfortable in or try new things because you might get caught.

Competitions are where you test your skill level, the gym is where you learn and share knowledge.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

McMadCow posted:

I don't feel like that advantage sticks with me when it comes to rolling, though.

It's an entirely different type of cardio shape. Once you figure out how to slow your brain down and your body and breathing catches up you'll be fine.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I find that if I’m not getting tired, I’m not being persistent enough with sweeps. There are checkpoints where you can rest, but you should kinda be going apeshit until you reach those checkpoints?

For sure. New(er) white belts are gonna struggle with cardio until they get comfortable in all positions though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

dumb question

Any recommendations to improve cardio while still training? I am doing some heavy bag work on off days but want to add more cardio. However, I am not sure if rolling 3-4 days a week and doing cardio those other days and resting Monday will end up destroying me or not.

Like, I want to get in better shape but don't want it to take from my ability to improve in BJJ

Just mix in some interval training.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

If you combine BJJ and good diet, that should be enough to get you into good shape, I imagine.

There comes a point at which just rolling will no longer push your cardio limits. Just about every athlete on the planet supplements their normal sport routine with additional weightlifting and cardio to improve.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, my cardio goal is to feel like I can keep up in warmups because I feel good once rolling hits

High Intensity Interval Training is your friend.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If you're really doing true HIIT it should be 10 minutes of pure misery and then you're done. Sprint, like all out sprint for 30 seconds then jog for a minute, repeat until complete exhaustion. If you can make it longer than 10mins you're not sprinting hard enough. Vomit as necessary. From a pure cardio perspective this should get you right in no time. I'd probably only do it once a week and work a bunch of other less miserable stuff into your training. (Also, I barely know what I'm talking about and am fat and lazy, so take my advice with large grains of salt)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

BJJ_Steroids instagram story is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/Garry_Tonon/status/1135688002292916225

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just cannot crack open guard and get passed into side control every time.

What kind of open guard are we playing? Are you letting your opponent get grip advantage? Are they standing? Are you inverting? How active are you with your legs?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You need a plan and to not be reactive. There's a bunch of good open guard retention videos out there.

If my opponent is standing I'm either going for sit up guard or reverse de la riva and trying to sweep, if I fail I fall back to half guard.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think I figured out part of my recent depression.

I don't have a good baseline to measure my progress. Everyone my size is way above me. The only white belt at 230ish is a former high school and current college wrestler so needless to say he blasts me. Everyone else is sub 5'10 and no one breaks 180.

So, when going up against people my own size, I get annihilated. Versus anyone else at my skill level, I have a size advantage to the point like I don't feel like I have "earned" anything. Like, it makes me feel like a fraud.

Find small successes. Against the guys better and or bigger than you, survive longer and get tapped less often. Against guys smaller and or worse than you, put yourself in bad positions and work out of them. Use technique and not strength.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

What are some things to look for in a gym?

Free trials, class schedule, gym culture, and do you vibe with the gym. I guess it kinda depends on how many choices you have

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

He's training at Pedro Sauer's school so it's not like he's not receiving quality instruction. But yeah Pedro and Gracie Humaita is definitely more self defense oriented than sport, which I think is fine, but if it doesn't fit your goals then find a place that does.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It’s my only gripe otherwise the school is amazing in the quality of instruction and camaraderie and culture. I think the self defense may go away a bit at higher belts

I'm sure as you said once you get passed the fundamentals portion the curriculum broadens. Talk to some of the upper belts and see what they have to say, sit in on an advanced class if you can. Message me if you want me to connect you with my friend that trains at your gym, he should be really close to getting his black belt now.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

For the folks who travel and will pop into a gym. Do you pay fora full month to train for that week or is it more of a per session rate?

I've had really good luck with getting to train for free by just being extra nice when I've popped in. Also you can ask if they'll give you a weekly rate.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

Jean Jacques Machado charges close to $100 for a drop in.

Pretty sure they're white gi only and no patches, aka visitor gi, too.

Mekchu posted:

OK cool. The gym is within the same school chain (Alliance) as my gym here in Korea so I figure it wouldn't be much of an issue, especially if I hit them up before showing up.

You should be okay if you hit them up before and or your instructor asks ahead of time. I've never paid to train at a Gracie Humaita.

Yuns posted:

Our academy drop in fee for the day is $40. We have lesser or waived fees for visiting affiliates, but not generally for random visitors. I'm fine with drop in fees. We'd have tons of people show up regularly to train for free if we didn't police it somehow. Even with fees, the number of visitors is really high.

I have no problem with the visitor fee and it makes total sense at a big gym.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I wear my gi pants into the gym when I train at my normal gym since I can park 10ft from the door and I live 2 mins from my gym. I couldn't imagine wearing my pajamas in public or for an extended period of time post training.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We've reached a fairly weird point at my gym. Sometime during my 2 month recovery, our head instructor has basically stopped teaching classes at the location I train at to, I presume, focus on his main gym. It's kinda annoying since it directly decreases the class size and while we still have a black belt instructor teaching, the level isn't the same.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

But now I'm getting kimura'd in scrambles and from inside their guard like 4-5x per night from multiple people and I don't know where to start looking for what I'm doing wrong to get caught repeatedly. Ive asked some of my sparring partners what they're doing to get it but they're not sure how I'm leaving myself open, just that I am.

In scrambles is one thing, inside the guard is another. Both of them probably relate to your elbow being open farther than it probably should be or your wrist pinned to the mat for too long. In guard it could be from reaching, bad posturing, or them just getting your wrist to the mat and diving on it.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I had a black belt today pop my knee (it literally went "pop") attempting to perform The Truck. There is an action of lifting the hips slightly that he didnt do and just yanked my leg over basically reaping it pretty bad. And then when I yelled tap, after a second he kept going! Im pretty pissed because honestly Im not sure how bad the damage is to my leg at this point :(

I dont think I ripped my mcl, but something happened.

Hopefully it's just a small tissue tear. That sucks man.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I got some pretty good advice from my coach before my first competition. First off, find 2 takedowns you can chain together and drill them a poo poo load. Second, don't rush anything. I assume you're competing at white belt, that person is likely to be just as flustered and nervous as you. Spend the first 30 seconds to a minute grip fighting, pushing and pulling, and seeing if they're aggressive or passive or strong etc. Once you've processed that figure out if you just want to pull guard or go for your takedown.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

A former coach had us, at white belt, attempt standup for the first minute and if it wasn't going anywhere pull guard. I always liked that approach

That was my coach's advice to me. Spend the first minute or so feeling out your opponent to see what they like to do, if they want to pull or shoot, are strong, etc. and then game plan around that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im just pissed that this particular black belt continues to hurt people (not just me) by not going slow or understanding that there are people that want to take it easy when drilling a technique.

My money is on him being young and Brazilian...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I decided to give some no gi a try and it is surprisingly hard to find shorts without pockets

Amazon has plenty

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Inverted Gear is running a sale on their gi's right now for $90...So...Get one?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Hey so I'm basically trying to find an 80s neon ski jacket in shortsleeve rashguard form. Think of the brightest neon mess you can. Anyone have any tips?

I couldn't find a whole lot. But I did stumble upon this:
https://www.rollmore.com/93br-transformers-rg.html

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Also we're switching things up for the morning gi class (non-John class) for which I assist, and we're going to be getting rid of exercises like jogging around the room and switching to entirely functional drills/movements for warm up.

This is extremely my poo poo. I can do bullshit cardio on my own time.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

leftist heap posted:

gym i started going to recently does NO warmup which I find wild

Also, extremely my poo poo. More time for instruction and drilling. I'll warm up on my own time.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Someone put together a list of very solid tutorial's that mimic the information put out by Danaher:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/c35ehr/danahers_enter_the_system_on_the_cheap/

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Why did you kill your corgi?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Leg weave passes in the bedroom > *

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think in this day and age, especially if you're putting out material on the internet, you're gonna get called out real quick if you're not legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

Any good BJJ gyms in Austin, TX?

There's a Paragon which I know is legit. There's also a 10th Planet and a Jean Jacques affiliate as well.