Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I am a huge MMA nerd, and all of my favorite fighters are BJJ guys, but I dont know all that much about "pure" BJJ. Can some of you grappling nerds post a breakdown of some of the major competitors?

I hear names like Marcello Garcia, Jacare and Roger Gracie thrown around a lot as elite grapplers but i dont know what their accomplishments are, what kinds of strengths or weaknesses they have, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Xguard86 posted:

http://www.bjjheroes.com/

This site has a pretty complete library of great bjj guys, past and present, with decent write-ups for them. A few people are missing but you will find 99% of what you want.

This Pe De Pano guy seems like my kind of character

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Specifically Roger is known for his cross choke from mount, which is a gi choke and can't be done without the gi. Most of the other chokes from mount also involve the gi, and those that don't aren't really unique to or even necessarily best attempted from the mount, like all the arm triangle variants.

Plus because most submission attempts require taking some sort of risk (like giving up a sweep if you attempt an armbar from mount and your opponent escapes) and in MMA top position is that much more valuable even really good grapplers often just say gently caress it and punch the dude rather than try for a submission.

And the World Championship being referred to is the "World Jiu Jitsu Championship" or the Mundials, which is the most prestigious jiu jitsu (ie with the gi) tournament in the world.

So all the hubbub about Overeem winning a grappling tournament or w/e was with a gi? Also, how prestigious is that win really?

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
So, I am thinking of starting to train BJJ, and i was wondering like, what the absolute essential things i should get before i start. Please bear in mind I am on a fairly tight budget, but i also dont want to gently caress myself up because id rather buy a the right gear than pay a dotors bill.

I am thinking about both Gi and No Gi

e: I am sure this kind of thing was covered somewhere, but this is PSP. Dont Watch Fights, Dont Read Threads.

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 12, 2012

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I wonder if metamoris is on the list of other promotions and combat sports Dana was talking about trying to get on fight pass... that was my first thought upon hearing all these big name UFC guys rumored on the next one. And Chael headlining!

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Mr. Nice! posted:

Truth. The first time he flipped him over into the electric chair or whatever the gently caress that they were calling I went nuts. That alone would cause most men to tap.

That match was siiiiick. Bravo's game is insane to behold.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
the dude chael is facing is the same dude that break danced all over his opponent for funsies one time right?

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

colonel_korn posted:

Metamoris doesn't have points so he wouldn't get any credit for takedowns. The only way he can win is by tapping Galvao out which is obviously pretty unlikely. But actually grappling with Galvao and not getting submitted would still be pretty impressive. It's not entirely without precedent, Randy had a sub grappling match with Jacare a while ago and managed to draw with him.

This is like Chael's way of vindicating himself for all those sloppy submission losses. In theory.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Can Frank Mir please just do a Metamoris thing instead of getting continually punched to death? I love watching that dude grapple>

Would he fare alright in this kind of format?

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

fatherdog posted:

As I've said before, Gabi is pretty obviously on PEDs but she'd have a ridiculous physical advantage even without them. Steroids didn't make her 6'5".

Is there even a weight class for that beast? Holy mother of all things.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

ICHIBAHN posted:

here's something for you to write down, what I get from BJJ and what I regard as decent actions are different to you. note that please. it's very simple.

I'll explain further for those in the back. I get self defense, cameradery, fitness and improved health from my class. competition doesn't come in to. and thinking that deliberately slamming someone into concrete is an act of a thug may jar with your opinion but it is valid.

except that everybody in a tournament setting knows what they are signing up for. Its not like people are going to BJJ class then going out to the bar and loving up randos for shits and giggles. I bet you think people who play football are thugs too.

"look at that thug. he just tackled the poor defenseless ball carrier. What if he gets turfburn?! Those pads look like they barely helped at all."

You should probably just stop posting here if its that hard for you to understand.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
One of my buddies from school trains BJJ with Chael here in Portland and he says that Chael's HUGE these days.

Should be interesting to see him in there with somebody less ridiculous than last time. Plus the two have a history or sorts, right/

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
i am trying to avoid spoilers. Which is hard. Was tonights Metamoris worth buying? I was pleased with my purchase of the last EBI. I am on a tight-ish budget and Metamoris is kinda 50-50 for me on watchability, especially when they have gi matches.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

origami posted:

keep an eye on him - he is pretty slick

Yeah. He is Tonnon's (Tonnen's?) primary training partner. Both train under Danaher. Really slick leg locks.

I am gonna stop pretending I know how to spell proper nouns now.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Pocket Billiards posted:

Barnett was on a some podcast I can't recall and he discussed the shoes. His opinion is that proper defense for leglocks is just like any other submission, it's about position, knowing how to defend, how to deny your opponent the opportunity, etc. There's no other submission where people put the same importance on being more slippery.

it was rogan's

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Chael just posted a pic on twitter saying he will be grappling against Barnett at Metamoris 8

Can you guys imagine the promos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I agree that Chael is a squash match for Barnett, but the lead up will be fun!

Its sad that metamoris is doing the exclusive contracts and all that, because i think the business model they are going for is interesting. Without a good roster of grapplers it will suffer though.