Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

are there any free instructional videos online for basic moves to just learn the sport better? Not really subs but more positioning, guard passes, sweeps ext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so started doing some grappling classes at my gym and my neck is really sore is this common for grappling?

Also am I expected to just get my rear end kicked everyday? I have gone this week and every time we grapple I end up on my back, mounted and subbed in some way or another. I feel as though I don't even stand a chance since I don't know anything. Should I ask them to go easy on me when we spar at the end? I spend most of the time just trying to not get subbed instead of going for anything myself.

Also my chest legs and forearms are bruised up badly looks like someone has been punching me there. Not sure I like this sport very much but I'm signed up for the month and was a really good deal and I'm totally gased every workout so my cardio is getting better. I want to get better but guess it sucks to get owned so bad.

shizen fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 25, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

ah thanks for clearing some of that up especially the neck thing. We do a lot of those shoulder rolls for warm up and I am not that good at them. Also I get choked a lot and tense up instead of just tapping right away.

how long does it take where I can actually be somewhat competitive with my partners? These were no gi classes so I'm not sure what level they were but I am pretty sure I was the only true beginner there this week.

Any other tips for a beginner?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so why is it that wrestlers are massive/muscular compared to bjj competitors who have very little size? I mean they both primairly just do grappling, yet wrestlers seem to look in tremendously better shape. I notice it in mma also that wrestlers just are a lot bigger/stronger then the bjj guys.

I've only been grappling for a bit but the bigger guys tend to throw me around much easier, so would think strength would help.

Is it just that the sport is new so you don't have better athletes in the sport yet? Or does that size/strength not help in same way that it does in wrestling?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

well I finally got a sub today in free grappling, rnc. First time getting a sub in 3 weeks since I started during free roll, was vs a guy that is new also-and little smaller then me- but still felt good since I'm used to getting my rear end kicked every time. Got mount and he was really tired and eventually got him to turn and flatten him out for easy choke. I didn't even get it that deep but still was able to finish it.

I was at bookstore looking at grappling books and saw you guys recommend bjj university, although its with gi it still had interesting stuff. I only do no gi right now since only time I can make it for the classes-and don't really want to spend extra 100+ on gi- so is there any good book for no gi bjj?

Also the been doing those neck exercises one of you suggested and roll with shoulder better and haven't had a really sore neck since. Still get bruised up a bit but not nearby as bad.

shizen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 5, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

For reference, even Koscheck has said that they train in the gi at AKA. This is a guy who has been wrestling since he was literally in the womb, but trains in the gi because it makes him a more technical submission wrestler. Training in the gi is a good way to get good at BJJ and submission wrestling, not just for the gi, but in general.

well a counter point didn't josh barnett win no gi worlds and he has never trained in a gi I believe

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

what are some moves I can do when the guy turtles up? I been rolling with a guy around my level who is little weaker then me and I can get him into that position alot, yet if I try to take his back I just end up on my back eventually and he is in my guard.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

So I'm looking to sign up for a new gym next month which will offer more gi classes from a higher level instructor-since you were all mentioned how gi is superior-. I have never done gi but have been doing the no gi classes for about a month. What type of gi should I get for a beginner? Also is it pretty much unacceptable to get a colored gi if your low level?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

nemoulette posted:

No, that's fine. Only blue, white or black are elligble for competition so get one of those. I like Korals.

Ah thats good because I wanted to get a blue gi, but didn't want to seem like a douche if only higher level guys were allowed to wear colored gi.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

is it strange to go to other schools to free roll on open mat days-they charge like 20 bucks but I can stay for few hours-? Do they take this as a challenge to own me? I'm not very good but been at it for close to month now and starting to get some of the basics and would like to go against some new people but not sure if this would be a good idea at my level.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so I have been researching John Olav Einemo since he is fighting carwin soon. I found it interesting in a recent interview he said it took him 12 years to get his black belt. Yet he said he started training in 1997, and in 2001 was competing at adcc and made it to the semi finals losing to arnoa who become champion. Then in 03 he won the whole thing beating roger gracie-only guy to ever beat him at adcc also I guess-

So how is it that a guy that is obviously very talented takes him 12 years to get his black belt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW75iA3-Mcc the interview with him

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

fatherdog posted:

He did a lot of his training with just lower-ranked training partners and students in Norway, only visiting higher ranked people who could actually belt rank him very seldomly. He was technically a blue belt when he beat Roger.

wow that is crazy he was able to have so much success without many high level guys training with him. Also pretty cool that adcc was one of the few in brazil also when he beat roger. Why did he stop fighting/grappling for so long though?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so I messed up my neck again a bit, we were going over guillotines and positional sparing with it and I held out little too long instead of just tapping. Are there any decent stretches or message rolling things I can do-I have a foam roller- to help it feel a bit better? The neck bridges hurt when I do them right now, but I do those as part of my warm up now also to strengthen the neck.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

fawker posted:

RE: Neck bridges.
I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vg5T4vkew

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?

wow that guy has a huge neck also

I do basically just the first part and much slower, it has actually helped a lot. I haven't had a sore neck until recently but was because I was dumb and thought I could fight out of a sub I was caught in.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Are there any good dvds on all of roger gracies fights? Been watching him a lot on youtube and love his style but wondering if there is a decent dvd with high quality of most of his fights.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

dokomoy posted:

There's no dvds that only have his matches, but you can track down dvds of other events he's entered(worlds/ADCC/Pan Am etc) and they'll have some of his matches(and of course a ton of other guys too). The guy who runs the Roger Gracie facebook group puts up links to tons of his matches too.

which adcc is a good one to get? Also they have commentary also right?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

I've noticed having a strong grip helps a ton. Guys who can just control my wrist easily make it really hard to do anything, in gi I'd imagine be even stronger to have a good grip. So what are some good exercises that any of you guys do to strengthen the grip? My neck is really starting to get strong now been doing the neck bridges for a month+ now and never get a sore neck and actually can escape chokes easier it seems. Yet my grip is still pathetic and I need to get stronger grip to prepare for gi training also especially.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

wow thanks thats a lot of stuff

yeah I do lift weights but use straps a lot for pulling movements, going to stop that now for sure. My grip is very weak though-well at least compared to some of the guys I roll with who are higher level- but how often should I be able to train grip without overtraining my hands too much?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

westcoaster posted:

I only ever use straps when doing heavy shrugs, theres no point in using them any other time. You can't use them if your are competing in lifting so why train with them?

yeah I think my hands would be a lot stronger if I didn't use them so much. I mean I started using them because most guys at the gym used them and they allow me to do more weight also.

Yet after doing bjj for about month or so now I've noticed how important grip strength is.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

I'm thinking of ordering the CSW Student: 5 DVD Set by eric paulson. Anyone have any thoughts on the series? He seems to go over all the basics here for no gi and I prefer training no gi anyways. I'm beginner level and have a buddy I can train with to go over drills. Are dvds like this a waste though or can they actually have some good benefit?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

westcoaster posted:

The towel pull-ups sound great.

yeah did some of these earlier in the week along with static holds with deadlifts-after heavy deadlifts without straps for first time in awhile- and some plate pinching and my hands have had bad doms all week. The towel pull ups were especially difficult I tried to do as many sets and reps as possible but my hands started to cramp up doing them. I guess I'm not used to working out my hands much but I don't know how you could do grip work daily easily at least.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

johnwayne'smom posted:

Myself and another bigger dude at my gym are making shirts that say "Big Dudes Against Whiny Bitches" or something to that effect because we're sick of getting dissed. There are certain people who complain after EVERY loving ROLL about the size differential and it's getting really old. If you're saying that I dominated you simply because I'm bigger, you're basically saying that my jiu jitsu sucks. Different body types are part of the game, I don't complain when someone is faster or stronger than I am. My jiu jitsu should still work regardless of who I'm rolling with, right?

well in no gi especially if the bigger guy is on top of me I really feel helpless, like there is no way to get them off of me due to massive weight advantage. Yet if I can somehow manage to get on top of them-or usually just start in there guard- there technique seems a lot worse then when they are on top. I think bigger guys should probably work from bottom more-when going against a smaller guy- since they are so used to being on top of guys from brute power.

I guess depends how much weight-and especially strength- difference there is though. I"m still fairly new but size/strength does seem to give the person a big advantage-especially on top when they an just smash you without using much technique-. I generally judge someones skill by how good there bottom game is.

shizen fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 4, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIcF4qnZU0s

:stare:

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

these were awesome

cool to see bjj guys doing more strength conditioning type workouts now also as it does help I find. I feel my stamina and grappling strength improves with weight training also.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

nvm dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

MagicCube posted:

So here's the official word on Chael's participation:

Basically we understand all your favorite athletes use PEDs and we don't care, here are some exciting matches. Chael losing by triangle is going to be the best thing ever.