Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I prefer my training partners to have a sense of humor but that's not always gonna happen. One guy I trained with who was one of the more senior students threatened to kill another student after he got arm triangled a couple times in a row. He was a really scary guy too- 240 lb mentally unstable Silat experts who have fragile egos and carry big fuckin knives are not dudes I want in my face threatening me.

I prefer a much more jovial training environment where I can practice my Secret Move and the ol' Gotch Special without worrying about getting shanked in the parking lot. Speaking of training- I moved across the country last year and I need a new place to train, but I know nothing about the schools in New England. I'm northwest of Hartford, CT. Does anyone have recommendations for decent schools reasonably nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Novum posted:

Unfortunately Connecticut doesn't technically actually exist.

That's what I seem to be finding out :(

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

eddie wolverine and all the northeast Renzo dudes seem really awesome and I wish they had a school closer to me ;-*

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Liver shot KO's are the worst because you feel every single second of it. The last time I got KO'd with a liver shot my vision went completely white and I came to cursing a blue streak at my instructor in a weak squeaking voice as the rest of the class looked on aghast.

There are some Stick grappling techniques that are unfuckingbelievably painful if you ever have the misfortune to get caught in them. Imagine a guillotine choke but it's a rattan stick across your windpipe/jaw instead of a nice, fleshy arm. That poo poo sucks.

Edit: oh wait here's one. The Dog Bros are certifiable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfbZRda3r0

Oh, and one time I think my hip popped out of it's socket and every vertebrae in my back popped after I threw a leg kick and had my legs kicked out from under me as I was pulling back the kick. I somehow sat on my own knee? My poo poo is still all hosed from that one.

I can't wait to start training again.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I'm on the hunt for a jiu jitsu school after taking way too much time off from martial arts after becoming a (fat) dad. My plan is to take whatever free trial classes that are offered at the schools that are reasonably close to me and see how I like the vibe. Any pointers as to what I should look for in a good club? I know I want to go somewhere that rolls as much as possible, but what else should I be looking for?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Where do you live?

CT- Simsbury specifically. The 2 schools currently on my radar are this one and this one. I met the owner of the school behind that 2nd link and he seems like a nice dude. Apparently the dude who owns the school behind the first link used to train under him and now there's drama (surprise surprise). I wish there was a Renzo affiliated school nearby, but I'll take what I can get. I really just want to get back at it and not train with a bunch of idiots who injure me all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I missed it but apparently AJ Agazarm livestreamed Metamoris in it's entirety on his facebook page. I guess it's safe to assume that Ralek still hasn't paid him then. Glad to hear Tonon tapped him.