Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Grappling tournaments are very serious business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Sprecherscrow posted:

You can also use that control to set up an arm-triangle. And it's possible to force the back take if that's what you want. I was taught to bring my other hand under for a kimura grip (just with the head inside) for increased control, but it was always pointed out that this was mainly for non-striking situations. With strikes, the one handed variation is more useful. Usually see that called the "gift wrap".

The cobra clutch?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
. Wrong thread

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Decades posted:

Yeah those are both fair examples. I guess I don't see either getting to the belt (Palhares' banishment aside) but then number one in the world is probably an unfair bar.

Didn't Weidman start training striking in 2008 and beat Silva in 2013?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Alfalfa posted:

I know it comes in time and most of the blue and purple belt guys I roll with say I will be just fine when I do compete in my division, but I'm worried more about being able to get on top or establish a dominant position in a match and not having any clue where to go from there.

Just arm triangle especially at white belt, it's a strong goon's best friend. It's basically the same setup from side or mount, you'll be able to just shove their arm in there and you'll have the strength to squeeze their head off.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yuns posted:

It's not a fact that we advertise

Other than the time Renzo live tweeted a street beating

https://twitter.com/RenzoGracieBJJ/status/244206983366971392

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Odddzy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm really looking for is what to work or target when working cardio. How long? what intensity?

I do hard 500m/60s rest on the erg. 5-8 reps. Doesn't take long and really helped the gas tank noticeably within 2 weeks. Can do it everyday without getting sore.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Odddzy posted:

What is an erg?

Rowing machine

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Odddzy posted:

Ah ok, thanks a lot, I'll start putting time in it. Will doing that set 2x a week tuesdays and fridays bring a noticeable increase or it's not much?

Yes, if you row hard enough to be a sweaty mess on the floor by the end.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Coupla worthless purple belt thoughts on that match.

1. I hate grip fighting with big guys like that. They can use their weight to break mine easily and I can't move them much. If they do get grips, I need to keep them moving, if they plant I'll get tossed. They're slower on their feet so I try to get an angle and shoot or bait and sprawl, lots of feints. Wrestling style throws where you get to just link your hands together around something feel better.
2. Not sure what you were hanging on to when he took you to your knees but you might've been able to grab/block his right leg/hip with your left arm and do a scrambly flippy thing instead of him getting around to your back. But yeah not a position to hang out in.
3. Losing half guard that easily there was the espn turning point. You were on your side and close to his knees, with both his arms on your far side, it's a good position for deep half or going out the back
4. Ghost escape sucks against big belly + gi. Also needs good control of his far arm tricep. I find it better to double frame against fatties' head/neck and work a knee through the blubber.

Seems like a nightmare with that size difference and a rib injury, good job not dying!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

Ok guys, whats the proper way of dealing with mat burn?

I've tried a bunch of things, including washing with soap and water, disinfecting with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, applying an antibiotic cream, bandaids, and various combinations.

But they often get puss-y and gross, and always take forever to heal. I got one on the bridge of my nose last night and I can't have it turn into an open sore for a few weeks. Suggestions?

I want to hear what strategy got you nose matburn. I usually clean with peroxide, then New Skin in the mornings and wrap with tape to train so they get a chance to heal.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

Triangle question.

We ask know Ryan Hall's method of getting the angle, and doing a leg press instead of squeezing the thighs together. I do this, it works well.

But I often feel like I could get more power. When I press, I'm not really pressing against anything. My other leg, a bit. I can pull uke's trapped arm across his body and brace against that, a bit. But I usually get the finish in a sort of suspended position, almost in the middle of a sweep. I don't like to finish from mount, so I find myself pressing my leg, but not so much it pushes uke over. Doesn't seem optimal.

Any suggestions?

Press against the other leg which needs to be curling in with the same force. I found this lachlan vid pretty helpful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwbdB_6_ys

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I bought it already because I have poor impulse control AMA

46 bucks for 11 hours of Lachlan Giles half guard, that's not even a little bit resistable.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Darce? If so, yes it rules.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I did a mount escape to single x today on a nice but enthusiastic new white belt we've been asking to slow down. He got to his feet and grabbed my inside leg ankle with both hands and pulled it violently up into his nuts.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

willie_dee posted:

He was fine we were both just exhausted he wasn't really hurt. I was joking, I even said so in my post....

He faked an injury to get out of the roll? The mightiest victory of all, you tapped his spirit.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Well I lost my first tournament. But learned a lot, IBBJF rules is not the same as rolling in the gym. Next time I’m going to focus 100% on position and scoring points. And only going for a sub if it’s 100% on. Or if I’m a long way ahead on points.

I will focus the winning white belt strategy for you. Get the takedown, get side control, gently caress around with the guy's far side lapel for 4 minutes but not well enough to have to go for a sub. Say "whew man could barely hold on to you there" when you win every time.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Wangsbig posted:

know that I'm a miniscule bitch, just truly infinitesimally small and I have never turned down a scrap due to size difference. tbh tho in the case of the 13 year old girl she will likely have a tough time getting one of the adults to roll with her, no one wants to do that poo poo. we have the teen girl in our gym and she rolls with the other teens, her dad, and the only known being smaller than i pretty much

I am a giant man and it's a nightmare to be paired with a tiny person because you really don't want to squish them but also don't want to just awkwardly sit out until someone more normal sized frees up. I'll always offer that I'm working on guard retention stuff and I need to work on defending speedy passers, would they like to try passing and reset if they get by. Unless they have PTSD, they agree and I get to lay on my back for 5 minutes which all fat old guys love and they get to do crazy jumpy cartwheely passing which tiny people seem to enjoy.

Knowing that the big people are also apprehensive about rolling with little people, I'd suggest to her to offer up the passing practice option especially against white belts who don't know that you don't actually have to roll to the death every round and partners can just agree to focus on certain positions.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yuns posted:

Ended up teaching advanced problem solving on choke mechanics for the north south choke and the arm triangle.

If I cover another class I will continue with trouble shooting the back triangle and traditional triangle.

An mma guy did the trachea thumb choke on me to defend n/s choke for the first time ever, I felt ashamed after being so recently warned about it

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What's your ham game?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Xguard86 posted:

Someone asked danaher on insta what they should buy and his advice was that anyone interested should get the back attack series because it's good for any person or ruleset and then just pick whatever fits your interest.

I'm interested in the back and front headlock stuff but hoping if I wait it gets a little more affordable.

I really like the back one, gave me a whole new perspective on that position.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there an implicit code of ethics about what to do on a hold when the bell rings?

I was rolling with a dude who kept an armbar on past the bell because I guess he wanted to get the tapout rather than let me be saved by the bell. I asked him in the future if he could not do that, because I usually stop protecting myself once the round is up. But still, I felt kind of pissed because if I had instinctively stopped defending myself when the bell rang I could have been hurt. Like, I don't know if there is any specific code about it, but I feel like "let go at the bell" is kind of implicitly understood.

Let go at the bell is pretty standard but so is just tapping to lunatic white belts who don't really understand the culture yet, hopefully that's what that guy is. No point risking joints to teach them lessons.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I like rolling head tired, you figure out what you've really got engrained. Hate learning new 18 step inverted helicopter butterfly saddle entries when I'm head tired, I just tell my partner I'd rather not waste both our time and rep something similar but simpler on my turn.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

bitch rear end black bears

like bigger more annoying raccoons. porcupines are scarier

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah, one of the advantages of growing up in the woods is knowing which animals are the punks of the animal kingdom

yeah call me when someone takes down a fisher in hand to hand combat

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any tips/strats?

Eat real food. Lift heavy things.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is it about asking a guy how he gets into competition shape that makes people act like Ive never heard of exercise before

I think it's a common trope in weight loss that unsuccessful people are always looking for new strategies and gimmicks while successful people just stick to a simple healthy, clean caloric deficit and grind it out. I wasn't being flippant, that is my mantra when I'm cutting weight.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I ever get paired up with him again I will probably just explain to him that I think he's going too hard and he needs to chill out.

This is the problem right here, going again. Judo is stupid and injury prone. Get a half decent double and single leg, you're way ahead and spend the rest of the time doing fun grappling.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Chewjitsu has a good hip mobility sequence somewhere

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CommonShore posted:

Yeah right now his scalp isn't worth anything. In a few more wins over dudes like Faber that "they beat a little kid" will become "they beat a little kid who has wins over multiple black belts who have been black belts longer than he has been alive," though, and dudes will start accepting matches against him again.

I guess the other route for him is to just keep entering tournaments where dudes can't duck him in the bracket in the same way. Next ADCC is 2020 right?

End of Sept 2019, lots of big names

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/6261091-every-name-invitedqualified-for-adcc-2019-world-championship-updated

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yuns posted:

I don't own any of the Danaher videos because well I have John right there. So I haven't seen them but I would recommend the back attack before the leg locks. Simply because understanding the back position is so important and so many people have weak control and submission from what should be the most controlling position in BJJ. As a side note I would expect John's next videos to focus on fundamentals and in particular passing since that's what we've been working so much on in class.

Pretty sure gi fundamentals is next. Not sure he would do passing when Gordon Ryan just released his a month ago, probably a lot of overlap? The back dvd is really good, they're so worth it to just have the whole position explained to you in one go instead of patchwork snippets over 10 years.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I was working on that stuff today too. Kept getting the arm trapped nicely but then couldn't finish the under chin rnc even with 2 vs 1, it was like one of those dreams where you have no strength, the white belt just kept grabbing whichever arm and he seemed to have unlimited neck to chest stamina. I know the mandible choke is an option but I really wanted to work on that little transition between when you get the wrist under the chin to the whole arm, I could get the hand under but he could always pull it out just enough to get the chin down.

I should probably jam it through faster as soon as the hand gets under. I think I was letting him crunch up too much, stretching would probably help? It forced me to work that rear triangle/armbar combo, worked fine but it just felt a bit silly to not be able to rnc your average white belt from back with an arm trap. Time to rewatch that bit and buckle it down

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yuns posted:

Have both arms trapped. The top arm with your leg and the bottom arm with your same side hand. Grip at the knuckle line so he can't pull out. Now when getting the choke grip start at the jaw line just behind the ear. Make your fist into what we call a tiger paw and walk it along the jaw line using a ratcheting action to lift the jaw and incrementally walk the hand around the neck.

Thank you for the feedback, that makes sense.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mekchu posted:

Now you have to show us this panning.

This kinda thing x 1000

quote:

Let's face it. He is a weird man. Right now, he is able to get by on his bjj knowledge as an eccentric yoda-like character. But combined with some odd kink stuff he alluded to before, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a tenement with dead hookers he has taxidermied into strange leg lock positions he practices on wearing only a rashguard and nothing else.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Subbed someone in no-gi with a fist choke last night and they complained that it was a "cheap" technique, which made me enormously proud

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We were just talking last night about how good it is that you can't do obnoxious bullshit with belts or jacket tails in sambo, and how it isn't fun to roll against that stuff.

I like how quickly that went full circle

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I was just amazed that a kid I could shoulder press with one arm could choke me out like nothing if he got the hold in. Honestly I even let him do it because I figured "how bad could it be?" One of those things where you appreciate how much technique matters more than strength.

Give the 7 year old choke a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8vF9ktwsqI

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

butros posted:

I am definitely curious, but this line of thought is what has me thinking why bother - I can get hard rolls at my gym if I want them, I get crushed by our purples and up so I know what getting crushed feels like, but I can also hold my own against a growing number of blues and can dominate whites. So I'm getting objectively better but at the same time in the grand scheme of grappling I'll never be anything special so why spend $75 and an entire Saturday to make that official?

Rolls aren't really the same thing at all, you're supposed to be trying new things and failing. Competition means you get to pit your A game against somebody else's while you're both jacked to the tits on adrenaline and if you gently caress up, you're out. That kind of environment really brings out the jiu jitsu that has stuck best in your brain and exposes the things you think you're good at but maybe can't execute as well as you'd like. It's not required but it's certainly a short cut to see what the lowest holes on your bucket are.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am terrified of getting a bunch of dudes who have like 20 years experience with wrestling and sambo and they are just starting bjj

I got to go against Chris Weidman twice at intermediate right after getting my blue belt, he had just started bjj to crosstrain while waiting to try out for olympics wrestling. It was pretty cool

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
There's really only one solution. Wait a few months, sign up for no gi advanced heavyweight and teach him some respect with a good old fashioned slapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Arguably?

spb posted:

Him being a stupid 23 year old isn't a good excuse. He knows what he's doing and he relishes it. He has been systematically trying to provoke a response. Since nobody is telling him to stop, he's going to keep doing it.

The sponsors don't care, they only care if the customers care. Renzo and Jon don't care as long as Gordon is getting eyeballs to watch his fight so they can get a larger cut of the proceeds. The silence from all involved is deafening and disheartening. It's gross and pathetic.

Not only does this poo poo turn people off from ever trying or continuing jus-jitsu, it also sets a bad example to younger guys who think this behavior is ok. Yeah some guy were to say this poo poo during practice, I would call him out on his BS. But this isn't some guy, this isn't some boring UFC fighter (like Colby Covington), this is arguably one of the best BJJ practitioners on the planet. Imagine if Lebron James said this poo poo.

If you really want to get offended, follow his sister's instagram