Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
wobbly push kick

wobbly push kick

wobbly push kick

Decades fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

interesting to hear the behind the scenes for what eddie and royler were saying in the knee lock

Sorry if I missed something but has this been clarified? Hoping for more pants chat.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
My school is pretty conservative with submissions, starting off with really specific positional stuff (start top mount working only the Americana, bottom guy works escapes, reset as soon as something happens), switching to free submission rolling after only maybe 6 months.

Second class I caught a knee from under cross side and was out with a bruised rib for a month.

Kekekela posted:

all that matters is that you can kick your 30-days-ago-self's rear end.

Well said

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Thirding Kesting/Grapplearts, especially the apps, which practically force me to get better at bjj even when riding the train, where I'm not realistically gonna whip out my full sized copy of JJU. He goes down to the very basics, and I'll be following his more in depth stuff (the submission defense app is brilliant, plus anything with Brandon Mullins) well into blue belt.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Prickly Pete posted:

The apps look great. Any suggestions on which one to hit up first? It looks like they are $20 a pop for Android.
Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get my rear end kicked for the next year.

If the older sweeps, submissions, and submission defense apps are still real cheap, they'd be a nice place to start before moving on to the bigger ones. The defense one I mentioned earlier is my favorite. There's also a newer bjj roadmap out that's free to start, though super basic.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

if you're talking about jiujitsu university, and if you're anything like i was, you couldn't be more wrong.

It's pretty cool how the white belt chapter focuses so much on basic survival positions, basically "here's how to still get mauled but less so"

E: Like, it's got the great step by step instruction, but what feels unique about JJU to me is something about the way it's always drilling in basics like "protect your neck you idiot" that are often shockingly easy to neglect as a beginner

Decades fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 26, 2014

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
A brown belt politely let me set up an arm in guillotine on him then it started feeling pretty deep then I kinda swept him to kind of a quarter guardish type position and it was still pretty deep and I was starting to feel like a pretty cool guy then he kneebarred me with his legs :aaaaa:

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I was on top, and it was weird. I don't mean to get too into the technical details of it as I don't recall them too clearly. I think I basically got figure four'd. More just sharing an anecdote of the beautiful realization that higher belts can tap me in ways I can't even imagine.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Could lockdown put kneebar-style pressure directly on someone's knee? I feel like the lock would have to be inverted somehow. I don't know much about lockdown though. It was probably something silly with obvious exits that I didn't see cause I was thinking about the choke

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

district of thizz posted:

I also don't know much about it but here is what I was sort of referring to: Knee Bar from Reverse Lockdown http://youtu.be/i0vzj73BRnM

Yeah must've been something along these lines, it's just weird cause I still had his head and arm wrapped. Pretty dope move.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
What's the goonsensus on Roy Dean? I'm itching for new bjj phone instructionals and have grown weary of Stephan Kesting's shiny head. Dean's techniques look legit to me based on the previews, and he seems like a really intelligent and detail-oriented teacher, but there are also red flags (he's into Japanese culture and talks up Aikido, seems a bit too enthusiastic about wristlocks, etc.) Particularly interested if anyone's got firsthand experience with his blue belt or no gi apps.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

a weird personality and can look/sound like a creeper quite often

omg chael crash posted:

an excited dude

He sounds right up my alley

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Whiteknighting wristlocking weeaboo or not he knows a lot of side control escapes so I think I'm ready to adopt his ways

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've been feeling good about the prospect of throwing my money at both EBI and Metamoris, but if Ralek's really set on messing things up for everyone then gently caress that. EBI's cooler anyway.

sternly (but hespectfully) worded email sent

Decades fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 24, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Well Ralek tells me that my feedback is very important to him so I trust that this will all be resolved any minute now

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Metamoris' production is a little overdramatic but I still appreciate it for the absence of ads and yelling

I could watch Metamoris mid mushroom trip without getting freaked out but not the UFC or to a lesser extent other grappling, is my point. Also dig the who wants to be a millionaire lighting.

Decades fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 27, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

The portland Sunday open is free on livestream right now -

This is cool. Any idea how close we are to Orchard vs Cummings?

Twister sighted

Decades fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 5, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Bad news is I missed it good news can rewind

Decades fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Well now you've got me afraid to close the window and check so don't ask me. The match was cool though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

1st AD posted:

got outwrestled by Jon Jones and Rashad Evans

Bit of an understatement here

What a dumb fight. There's no conceivable path to victory for Chael, and he's being awarded a "title shot" for the lamest Metamoris performance since the Abu Schaubi incident.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Gracie Combatives is kind of an attempt at that I guess

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've talked it up before in other threads but I particularly like Kesting's submission defense app. It's really unique in that lots of guys have instructionals showing off their favorite subs and sweeps with maybe some defense mixed in. The sub defense app totally inverts that and so did a lot to round me out as a late white belt / early blue. Usually available quite cheap as well.

One fun thing about the Bigger Opponent series is that different installments feature either Emily Kwok or Brandon Mullins and they often have totally opposite answers to a given problem. It's all good stuff I think but if you start exploring them you'll probably finding yourself gravitating towards one or the other.

Decades fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 27, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've been having a long plateau where there are no new guys in the advanced class and everyone I train with is slightly to significantly better than me and improving at the same rate, so I have no benchmark for progress besides maybe taking slightly longer to tap. I know that's often part of the process and that I'm secretly invisibly improving even if it doesn't feel like it. So I guess I'm just taking a sec to bitch about it. It's not about winning and it's all good, but not gonna lie it'd be nice to style on a scrub every now and again.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

Yeah the bigger issue is just not being able to get enough quality reps for your offense.

I should invest in one of those ridiculous grappling dummies

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Is that the sitting back escape where he kinda slumps down into it to release the hooks? I also found that one a little funny, compared to the usual "two on one, pass arm over your head, get your shoulders on the mat" escape. Fantastic book in any case though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

Also, the "white belt" section is full of defensive positions and not escapes.

True. I also do not have the book handy. In any case to be clear it should go without saying that I trust there's extensive reasoning behind it and would not try and correct Saulo loving Ribeiro.

Why did the blue belts correct you exactly? They were just unfamiliar with the position?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Anybody watching this Berkut thing today? I don't really know what's going on but it seems to be a Metamoris clone from Moscow. Currently Dean Lister is being laid on by a Muhammad Kerimov.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Apparently it's fifteen minutes sub only, then a five minute tiebreaker round with points.

Andre Galvao vs Romulo Barral – no-gi
Arbi Muradov vs Alex Cabanes – no-gi
Felipe Pena vs Yuri Simoes – no-gi
AJ Agazarm vs Augusto ‘Tanquiho’ Mendes – gi
Paulo Miyao vs Samir Chantre – gi
Claudio Calasans vs Lucas Rocha – no-gi
Caio Terra vs Milton Bastos – gi
Joao Miyao vs Osvaldo ‘Queixinho’ Moizino – gi
Dean Lister vs Muhammad Kerimov – no-gi
Jackson Sousa vs Abdurakhman Bilarov – no-gi
Jeff Monson vs Khasan Abubakirov – no-gi
Rafael Navas vs Muhammad Abdulkaridov – no-gi

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Lister blew out his shoulder defending an arm triangle and should seriously retire

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Something like that yeah, his arm was in a sketchy keylockish spot. I don't know, the stream was terrible.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Caught EBI 5. I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Garry Tonan is good at jiu jitsu.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Decades posted:

Caught EBI 5. I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Garry Tonan is good at jiu jitsu.

Apologies Mr Tonon for misspelling your name. Please don't tear my knees apart with your terrifying powers.

So what's the consensus on his move to mma? Will he accomplish anything significant? Will Hall? How bout Kron or Rodolfo or MacKenzie Dern or Buchecha or Gabi Garcia? Will Drysdale or Galvao get anything going this time if they try again?

And will there be anyone left to compete in jiu jitsu in a few years? I feel like it's a pretty safe bet that everyone I just named will get boxed up by nobodies in the near/mid future, and that seems like a waste and bums me out. Hopefully I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Decades fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 14, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Odddzy posted:

I'm not worried about Gabi Garcia because of the size factor but I can't say I'm too hopeful towards the prospects of the others.

I hope the others learn from her example - true mastery of combat is competing in a division that doesn't exist.

If anything I think Dern may have a chance for related reasons, on top of being obscenely good. I'm most worried for Buchecha if only because he seems like such a sweet guy. I half remember an interview from a couple years back when he was asked if he'd ever make the transition, and he just kinda laughed it off because it was so obvious that he didn't have the personality/temperament for it.

Decades fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Up until recently I've been (naively?) pretty open to the idea that a bjj player of sufficiently high level could still make it in mma with a truly submission-based game if he/she approached it the right way. More and more lately I'm thinking that the pendulum has really swung in the direction of elite striking plus capable takedown defense being the primary model of the elite mma fighter. Obviously that's nothing new and the basic model goes back to at least Chuck Liddell. But what I mean is that I think the door may have at last fully closed on anyone attempting to become an mma champion without extremely sharp striking and the decade or so (?) of striking training it takes to get there. In other words bjj aces starting mma training in their mid 20s or later are almost certainly hosed.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah those are both fair examples. I guess I don't see either getting to the belt (Palhares' banishment aside) but then number one in the world is probably an unfair bar.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Ikantski posted:

Didn't Weidman start training striking in 2008 and beat Silva in 2013?

Right, but he did do it by becoming a great striker which is kind of my point. It just happened on an accelerated timescale in his case because Weidman is amazing and learns really fast, same story with his transition from wrestling to sub grappling.

Pocket Billiards posted:

You can go back further than Chuck Liddell to Maurice Smith.

Maurice Smith ruled

david carmichael posted:

in your mind what was the right way they should approach it? even if you took someone who was strong and fast with a good shot, without rudimentary striking and footwork they would likely have a lot of trouble with a lot of fighters in any division

It's not so much a matter of my mind but the impressions I get from guys like Rickson and Kron and Eddie Bravo (lol). In 10th planet's case I guess that means a ridiculously sophisticated guard and the ability and willingness to pull it. In Rickson and Kron's case it'd more about very solid basics and a heavy top game, but still a willingness to pull guard failing that, I'd imagine. Kron had one fight that I haven't seen so I guess we'll see. Then there's the leg lock guys. Maybe if you put all those experts together you get a champion level fighter. But takedowns plus top game aren't enough because you eventually run into a striker with good enough wrestling to fend you off long enough to gently caress you up.

Decades fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 15, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

I'm not sure why this is something you're applying only to BJJ aces when it's equally true of striking aces and wrestling aces.

Yeah don't get me wrong, history has shown that a balanced mix is best. I do feel like advanced striking is starting to take higher priority among top mma fighters, but to some extent I'm just thinking of the current crop of champions. Among the many new champions of the last couple years, more technical striking has seemed to make the difference. It's at least what's impressed me most personally.

I'm picking on jiu jitsu mostly because 1) It's topical as there's a wave of high level bjj people making or preparing for the transition lately and 2) Personal preference because I think submissions are cool. I like seeing sub oriented fighters do well, but none have quite made it to the top with that style yet, and I'm not sure that it's getting any more likely. There's less point in thinking about whether a striker with no sub grappling skills could succeed because it's way less likely.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

And whats with guys who have you in a arm bar and you have your hands clasped to resist and they sit up and slide their forearm through to start cranking backwards to separate your hands but they have their forearm over your bicep instead of over your wrist or forearm so its like a bicep slicer? Like who the gently caress taught them to do that against their training partners.
That leads to some pain the next day (I run a warehouse so whenever I lift anything I can feel it. ugh)

Isn't the flip side of this that you as the person defending should realize that you're in a bicep slicer situation as well and just release the grip? If it's a situation where you're totally free to let go then I don't see an issue with someone using uncomfortable pressure to "encourage" the release. At the end of the day one learns that that's a pretty flawed / limited way to defend arm bars and you need other plans. Curious to hear from more experienced grapplers on that though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

origami posted:

What's with guys that don't tap when they know they're getting injured

They can't hear you over the sound of their muscle tissue slowly tearing apart as they fully commit to using a small vulnerable joint to resist tremendous leverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Well of course I let go when it gets super painful but you need to practice fighting out of it sometimes instead of just tapping instantly every time. Also the person doing the sub needs to get practice at finishing it on a resisting opponent.

Right I mean resisting the pressure for a moment while probing escape routes is a different story from just clamping down and hoping for the best, yeah. This is the moment to Homer Simpson, etc. yourself to safety. So that makes more sense though I still don't really get the gripes regarding what the attacker's doing.

E: Also it's not just about your pain tolerance in the moment but also recognizing the potential for injury apart from pain. Sometimes I get stuck in an ankle lock where I could hang on for a while if I had to, but I know I'd be walking with a limp the next day, so gently caress that.

Decades fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 15, 2016