Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Decided to watch this and so far it's pretty cool. I've never really watch any BJJ and known very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was a pretty awesome tournament.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That flip was pure awesome.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I want to start training bjj. I don't know where to even begin or start.

I have no background in anything fighting but I've got really into bjj this year and want to give it a try.

I'm out in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Anyone have a recommendation of some gyms I should check out and see?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

I also live in the Northwest 'Burbs and train at Brazil 021's Arlington Heights location under Andre Terencio. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the beginner classes and would be the good nights to drop in for your first class.

http://brazil021arlingtonheights.com/

That is only about 30-40 minutes from my work or home so I'm good with that.

KildarX posted:

It shouldn't be hard to find a place. Before you go in, look at a couple different places, verify that the people teaching are legit BJJ black belts and are in fact teaching BJJ and not Japanese Jiujitsu or just Jiujitsu. [a quick google search should suffice]. After that call up the gym and say "Hey, I'm interested in trying a class is there a time I could come do that". Try the class, if you like it stay at the place, if you don't try another gym.

That is why I asked here first. I want to be sure I'm going to a legit bjj gym. I hope to stop in at a few places to see what I like or don't like.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

Cool. We also have a place downtown. I hardly get down there, but some people divide there time between the two. If you drop in tonight, I won't be there because I'm running a fever.

I'll probably won't be able to stop by for a week or so but when I do I'll let you know.

I'm geographically challenged and shouldn't of said northwest suburbs. I'm over in Elmwood Park.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
For now just as exercise. Standard gym days are boring and I've slowly stopped going. Need a change. I've always wanted to give bjj a try and get a better understanding of what it is like to practice it. After some time and how I grasp it I would love to test myself in competition one day.

I'll be limited to evenings and weekends

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally got to attend my first class today. Followed Sprecherscrow recommendation and went to Brazil 021.

Everyone was cool and helpful. I loved all of it and I'm addicted I think. I'll be going back for sure.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Saturday was the first time I got do sparring for 5 minutes. And holy poo poo is it fun. I attempted a arm triangle and rnc but couldn't get them. Mind you that was my 7th class going against a blue belt. It was pretty awesome.

On the bad news I might of broke 2 of my toes. One is completely black and blue while the other has no visible difference from the rest but both hurt if I apply pressure. I'm going to blame Sprecherscrow when I did specific training with him but no idea when it happened. My neck and one of knees are also jacked a bit. Even with all of that I'm loving this and still intend to attend classes if only to watch.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

Oh poo poo. Hopefully they're just badly bruised and not broken.

I'm leaning more to the one being badly bruised since its visibly bruised but isn't hurting as much. The other one still hurts with difference from the other toes.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

idontcare posted:

i just started training bjj and all of these stories make me want to immediately stop.

Complete opposite. I need some injuries to be apart of these cool kids and their stories.

After a week off from hurting a few toes, knee and shoulder I'll be going back tomorrow for class and I already miss it so much.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

david carmichael posted:

Almost nothing in bjj is useful for self defense

Someone doesn't know how to do a proper technical stand-up. :smug:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Guess I'll be trying out bicep slicer during sparring tonight.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got some nice bruises around my eyes after Tuesday's class. We were training side control > north south > side control > mount and during that caught some nice elbows and knees to my face.

And with the current topic of mouthgaurds I'll be wearing mine now since I easily could of got hit in my jaw

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well after the fights tonight I hope we start training RNC.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got caught in a RNC last night and as he made me tapped he whispered "Stockon". Highlight of my first 2 months. Laughed for a good few seconds.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I watched EBI 4 was the first jiu-jitsu competition I ever watched and fell in love with it. And having only mma based knowledge it was pretty easy to understand with the commentators being really helpful describing. It is pretty exciting to watch

Honestly EBI 4 & 5 helped push me to go find a bjj school and start training. I haven't done no gi yet (still will be a few months till I can at my school).

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
EBI 6 just started

Go Tonon

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man, this beard is a beast

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Awesome and hilarious

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pretty awesome. Was wanting Tonon to win but oh well.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was an awesome EBI.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just a little over 4 months of training and I finally tapped someone in sparring. Feels good. Used a ezekiel choke as well.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished watching EBI and man that was an awesome competition. Cummings is a monster. Matches ruled. Looking forward to EBI 8. And I also need to start doing no gi one of these days.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
When I compete this weekend for the first time I'll try it in my first match and get back to you.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Competed in my first completion today after 7 months of training (gi). Tapped due to arm bar in the 2nd minute. Best experience so far in jiu jitsu.

Was awesome fun and can't wait to go again at the next one.

Edit: I have so much too work on. Like takedown since I've done all of 5 minutes drilling them.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 14, 2016

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Seltzer posted:

How often a week do you train? I've been at it for about five months three times a week now and wouldn't think of competing in two months, maybe at a year mark. That's not meant as a knock I was just wondering if that was pretty early to compete or not.

I train 3 times a week (7-9 hours total a week). I was ready enough to give it a shot. I really just wanted to get the experience of competing. I've never done anything like this and now for my next one I'll be slightly more prepared now I know some of my major faults (I have zero takedowns or standup skill

Marching Powder posted:

probably true. you're up against some guys that have been doing it for like 2 years, or maybe they invented sambo but started bjj last week and you won't know until you get humiliated in front of your coach and family member of choice

That is one of the reasons my coach warned me about but was still cool with it. In April a classmate (white belt) matched against a guy that turned out to be a black belt w/ 13+ years experience in judo. Guy was throwing my teammate around so many times. It was fairly clear he was outmatched. Things like it happen at white.

Another classmate was a division 1 wrestler in college but our professor wouldn't let him complete till blue belt because of it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was awesome

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
After watching that I'm going to take even more time off due to my already current elbow injury.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow. Dude is insane

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Too tired to watch it all last night so caught up to the last few matches today.

Tonon is an absolute monster. Really great EBI this time as have been the others.

I gotta get my rear end back to class and train one of these days. My 1 month off (due to injury) has now turn to like 2 1/2.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sprecherscrow posted:

I miss you dude.

I actually went back last night for the first time! And you weren't there.

Yea, finally got to my first class in over 2 1/2 months. Was awesome to be back.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
EBI 10 is tonight apparently which is a nice surprise since I thought it was on Sunday as all the others have been.

Here's a countdown video for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPA2YxI3DM

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
drat that was fast

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can't get enough of these fast subs. Just insane the pace they have.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Awesome loving Ezekiel choke.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just awesome.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
GOing to OT

This is some awesome stuff.
Also my legs hurts watching this

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Best EBI they have had I think. That was all around amazing.