Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Everyone is different and every school is different so there is no definitive timeline but I got my blue belt relatively fast for my school and it took me exactly 1 year of training 5-6 times per week and I was training pretty seriously. So 6-9 months is unusual at my school unless you have prior grappling experience. That said Gunnar Nelson got his blackbelt at our school after only 4 years of training but Gunnar also got 4th place in ADCC absolute, silver in mundials and gold in both gi and no gi Pan Ams at brown belt level so the blackbelt was well deserved.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Pricing is hard to compare since it really depends on location. $200+ per month is pretty average for Manhattan whereas it would be extraordinarily high in most other areas.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Danny Cadaver posted:

Weirdly enough, the same for me.
So you and Holland Oats are both under Jason.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Holland Oats posted:

Yup. CUBJJ people can PM me and I'll tell you who I am (hint: I'm not very good). I'm surprised that Yuns could figure it out just from the price point.
Not the price point. You guys stated that you train at a university under a Renzo blackbelt. That's only Jason and CUBJJ. I'm not a CUBJJ person; I train at the main Renzo Gracie Academy in Manhattan.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Bohemian Nights posted:

VV Yep! It's pretty rad VV
Are you in NYC permanently Bohemian Nights? I think there are a few of us in the greater NYC metro area: me, CortXbomb, fatherdog (if you include NJ), Holland Oats, Danny Cadaver and perhaps some others. Of course, none of us actually know each other.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

shizen posted:

what are some moves I can do when the guy turtles up? I been rolling with a guy around my level who is little weaker then me and I can get him into that position alot, yet if I try to take his back I just end up on my back eventually and he is in my guard.
Don't listen to CortX yet. First, question is: do you have the basics down on attacking the turtle? Do you know the proper positions for controlling a turtled opponent and the common mistakes? Do you know how to take your opponents back from turtle by pulling him over your shin into a seated position? Do you know how to get top head and arm control and get perpendicular and roll sideways over his head to get his back? Do you know how to pull him into side control? You need those fundamentals first before you start doing other stuff.

If you want I could write up how to do these fundamentals but it's better to ask you instructor to show you.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Cliff Keen F5 Tornado are the earguards I use. I previously used Asics but I prefer the Cliff Keens.

http://www.cliffkeen.com/product/F5-Tornadotrade-Headgear,86,6.htm

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

JayBulworth posted:

On a related note, I was searching YouTube and I saw what seems to be an armless d'arce. I was wondering if anyone been able to successfully implement this into their game, it seems like more of a neck crank than a choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv7emivmP5I
Nope, not really a crank. It's a power guillotine variant. Look where his choking arm shoulder. If he were executing it on a turtle opponent, I'd just call it a power guillotine but his variant is using on an opponent on his side.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Death Bucket posted:

Comprido wrote a letter about it as well.

If anyone knows what the hell he's talking about as far as dragging a dead guy off the mat at the 2000 Mundials, that would be nice. Google is giving me nothing.
From an old Comprido interview:

quote:

2000 ended up being your true consecration. What do you remember from that World Championship, set apart by your wins over Nino Schembri and Margarida?
There was an odd moment, sad, in fact, which was the death of that young fellow during the championship, Jean. I had fought several times, was in the warm-up area and the moment the guy fell down I thought, from afar, it was Erik Wanderley from Belo Horizonte, who I was friends with. I ran over there nervously, say it wasn’t him and helped carry the stretcher out of the Tijuca Tennis Club.

The people there tried an unsuccessful cardiac massage on him and the atmosphere was totally tense; I remember that we asked for the Sportv guy to turn off the camera but he didn’t, and we argued. So, the moment I stepped pack into the gymnasium, I heard those words: “Ring 1, Antonio Schembri and Rodrigo Medeiros!” I went in shaken, but it was a good strategy by the CBJJ, I don’t know if it was Siriema or Andre: put on a fight that will catch the attention of the crowd and erase that tragic image from everybody's head. And, even distracted, it was the best fight I fought in my whole life.
We fought and I realized something had changed with the cheering spectators, one time he was on my back - "OOH, he's gonna get it" -, shortly after I took him down and went after his arm, he reversed and went after mine, I got him back with a kimura… And it ended with a submission.

It is cool to fight against an idol, and it is thanks to Nino that the fight was, without a doubt, the best fight of my career. I think I was always a good fighter, but never a phenomenal one. I got results that count against phenomenal fighters, but I never was a Leozinho, a Nino, a Ricardinho Vieira. I had beautiful fights, but was never a phenomenon. So that year I ended up winning the quarter-final against Nino, who was a god, and in the final Margarida, who was also super-tough, even though I was already familiar with his style.

The guy who died was Jean Mesquita a BTT brown belt.

http://www.fcfighter.com/news0008.htm

quote:

Ricardo Libòrio (Brazilian Top Team) decided not to fight in the Worlds because of the death of his student, Jean Mesquita. One week later, Libòrio won the medium-heavy master category, defeating Flàvio Carneiro (21-0) and in the final Andrè King for a big point advantage

http://translate.google.com/transla...%26prmd%3Divnso

quote:

With the death of Ceará fighter jiu-jitsu Jean Mosque, on July 29 last, came to the fore another dangerous practice among supporters of the "cult of the body: the use of vitamins and steroids for animals, even more dangerous.

Mosque died at three minutes of fighting, during the 5th World Jiu-Jitsu, the Tijuca Tennis Club, (north of Rio de Janeiro). He had a cardiopulmonary arrest due to the use of vitamin complex Potenay, circulatory stimulant for veterinary use. Other substances, including anabolic steroids for sale in Brazil with animals banned by the Ministry of Health, are obtained illegally and ingested the same dose to the animals.

Translated obit:

http://translate.google.com/transla...%26prmd%3Divnso

quote:

RIO - The jiu-jitsu Jean Magellan Mesquita, 24, died Saturday afternoon during the World Championship of the sport, which was held in the Tijuca Tenis Clube, Tijuca in the northern zone of Rio Mosque had a cardiorespiratory arrest lightning while fighting Rogerio Nogueira.

The body of a young man, who was born in Ceara, should be taken today to Fortaleza, where they are buried in the Cemetery of Peace When the match was two minutes, Judge Andre Luiz Candido asked that the two fighters stand up because Minotaur applied a shaved, similar to a creeping coup, the opponent. When standing, Mosque fell asleep. Candide, as well as other witnesses, ensured that the fighter had not received any blow or hit harder.

Medical staff on duty, the River Rescue, went to the mat to meet Mosque, which was submitted to chest massage and mouth to mouth. Another measure taken by the doctors was intubate the fighter for the air come into your lungs. After ten minutes of tension in the gym, the couple came to regain consciousness, but started to faint. Then he was taken to the Andaraí Hospital, also in the west. The medical team boss Lucio Monte Alto, said Mosque died when he was treated at the hospital. High returned to the site of the championship and broke the news to other participants. The competition was halted for 30 minutes and then resumed.

FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP - Mosque came to Rio only to dispute the championship jiu-jitsu, the first of which participated. Brown belt, the young man belonged to the Brazilian Top Team and was a champion of sport in the heavyweight category in the North and Northeast.

About a thousand competitors from all over the world participated in the championship, which began Thursday and ended Saturday.

Although the practitioners of Jujitsu have a reputation for violence, for engaging in fights, there is no previous reported cases of death struggles of the sport, despite the direct physical contact. There traumatic blows, as in boxing.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 13, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Also if other sports can't stop steroids with all the money and attention thrown at the issue, there is no way that a marginal sport like BJJ can afford to do so except in the most rudimentary ways. Steroids are cycled on and off and one can use them for recovery purposes well in advance of a competition and cycle off if the only testing is pre or post match.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Bohemian Nights posted:

Spectator attendance is just $15, but competing was like $120, yeah. The price seems kind of stiff, but it was a very tightly run ship, and it (almost) pretty much ran on time throughout the entire thing, which I've never seen in a tournament before.
IBJJF tournaments are run really well especially compared to every other clownshow out there.

They are however extremely strict. One of my instructors was at Pan Ams one year and got dq'd for weighing in one pound over on the competition scale although the gym in the locker room showed him right at the limit. He was denied a reweigh even though he's a well known and well regarded grappler under the GB lineage and also happens to have the last name Gracie. However, I'd much rather have that strictness than just give him a pass with a wink and nod because of who he is.

Other stuff that has gotten guys dq'd or threatened with dq include not wearing underwear (Bill Cooper lost in the finals of the Mundials brown belt absolute for this after he got his pants pulled down exposing himself), attacking your opponent after losing a match (Samuel Braga lost a silver medal for this), wrong colored belt (Koral purple belts are too light and so people were forced to change to a darker belt but I don't think anyone was actually dq'd), etc. IBJJF runs a relatively tight ship.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

MycroftXXX posted:

Really? The color of the belt is in question. Not the actual material of the belt, they are knit picking over the shade of the color on the belt. Its silly and its clearly geared to force competitors to spend more money at their tournaments.
It's a little silly but no one was actually spending money because of that. And I am pretty sure that the IBJJF wasn't even selling belts here. Competitors were just borrowing belts.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

McNerd posted:

I was wondering if anyone would mind helping a white belt figure out a D'Arce choke. My impression is that the opponent's own arm (or shoulder?) puts the choking pressure on one side of the neck. If his arm is over his face instead of under his chin, I can create an ineffective half-choke while his arm presses against his face very uncomfortably, but that's all; not even a real neck crank. I doubt it's enough to get a reliable submission.

But I can't figure out how to manipulate his arm or head position to improve the situation. I had some limited success pushing his head up with my non-choking hand, hoping to elevate his chin so his arm would fall into place. But it seems like if I tried to do this live, he'd escape easily because I was fooling around with that hand instead of securing the figure-4. Is that right, or should I be able to prevent his escape for a while using my body weight, and/or am I approaching this all wrong?

Incidentally, I was transitioning into this from a back-control escape (pull his elbow out from around my head and maintain control of it, get his hooks off and move my rear end sideways, then shoot the choke). But I would guess this doesn't much affect the answers to my previous questions.
I always repeat myself that your instructor is always the best person to ask since he can see what you are doing and correct you. It's really tough to advise you from a text description and you don't even know the bona fides of the people giving you advice so take everything online with a grain of salt.

Number one, I'm just not picturing your transition from that back escape to the brabo. Typically the brabo is done from top half guard/side control type positions. Usually your opponent is trying to underhook you and you r choking arm keeps tight control of that arm, However, as you come up onto an opponent after sliding out of back control your body position is usually wrong for the brabo.

Anyway, you do not push your opponents head up, you pull it inwards. As your opponent tries to underhook you or otherwise bring his top arm across his body, drop your shoulder of the arm closer to his legs/the arm he is trying to underhook. This action of dropping the shoulder makes it so you can dig your arm in deeper and drive it under the lower side of his neck and use your hand to cup the back of his head. (You can use your free hand to pull the head slightly up off the mat and inward to make getting the choking arm deep easier but do not push the head away.) Use your other arm and get a gable grip at the back of your opponent's head and us it to torque his head inward so his chin gets closer to his chest. Now slide your other arm in deeper so that your choking hand remains at the back of your opponent's head but slides along your other arms forearm until it is gripping the bicep for the figure 4 and your sliding arm hand is against opponents top lat. Now bring your chin over opponent so that you head is over the back of his neck/head and bring your chest down on his trapped arm. Your legs can be in a number of positions but usually I'll keep my legs closer to his stomach.

Usually his arm position won't be an issue since he will be holding an underhook on you but even if he isn't, you can maintain proper position with chest pressure. If he brings his arm so far up that you can't get effective pressure on that side of his neck he will have his arm in a very vulnerable place above his head where he has limited strength mechanically and you can easily switch to something else.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just one additional tip. Be careful executing that kind of escape. By sinking lower and passing his choking arm to the other side of your head you are inviting the transition to the armbar from back control.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Though brabos are most often used from top half guard, they are really tough to get against experienced bottom half guard players because they've seen it so much. My game is heavily half guard bottom based and I can't remember the last time I got a brabo applied to me successfully or unsuccessfully. Especially in the modern deep half game I think the brabo is tough to use.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Well of course after posting that I can't remember the last time anyone got a brabo/d'arce on me, of course I get tapped by one this morning. Ooh that will teach me to post stuff like that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

You guys are using the term seatbelt completely different from how we use that term in my school. We would never call that a seatbelt so I was pretty confused reading these posts initially. I would call that "back head and arm." Seatbelt to me is an around the waist grip.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

At Renzo Gracie Academy, we had our annual promotion ceremony this week. The academy promotes throughout the year but many are held until the annual ceremony. Here is a link to a short excerpt of the video from the ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sPnoaLxbQ

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 17, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I posted this in the martial arts thread but also wanted to inform the grappling guys here as well. My friend, Rob Constance, of Renzo Gracie Hoboken is sponsoring a pro 16-man tournament, the Ultimate Absolute NYC to be held on July 30th in NYC featuring some of the best grapplers in the world. It's going to be a spectator event held at the Hotel Pennsylvania across from Penn Station/MSG.

fighters who have committed include:

Gregor Gracie
Joao Assis
Lucas Lepri
Braga Neto
Andre Galvao
Vinny Magalhaes
Lucas Leite
Davi Ramos
Cyborg
Pablo Popovitch
Gerry Rinaldi
Vagner Rocha
Marcelo Mafra
Abmar Barbosa

http://ultimateabsolutenyc.com/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I will check with Rob. It is also being catered so food and drinks as well which I believe are included in the ticket price.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ok, it is mat side seating with food and drink included in the price. There is also a meet and greet with the fighters. First 2 rows are $125. Next 3 rows are $100. Standing room is $75. Rob wants to make this a professional well run tournament. Like a mini Abu Dhabi. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will attend.

Also if you come down, there are tons of places to visit for training. Renzo Gracie Academy, Marcelo's, Alliance NYC, and Shaolin.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Not sure. I think good relationships with the guys and cash prizes. I know it took a long time to build the line up.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Rob Constance of Renzo Gracie Hoboken and Kerberus NYC ran the Ultimate Absolute this weekend. There were some competitor changes (for example Pablo Popovitch couldn't come due to injury).

Final competitor list:

Warren Stout (Renzo Gracie)
Davi Ramos (Atos)
Rustam Chsiev (K-Dojo)
Alexander Ceconi (Rillian Gracie)
Gerry Rinaldi (Renzo Gracie)
J. J. Holmes (Alliance)
Shaheim Gattri (Renzo Gracie)
Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu
Antonio Braga Neto (Gordo BJJ)
Pelino Cruz (Gold Team Fighter)
Nolan Dutcher (Black/Blue)
Andre Galvao (Atos)
Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida (Checkmat)
Vinny "Pesao" Magalhaes (Xtreme Couture)
Abmar Barbosa (Yamasaki)
Daniel Gracie (Renzo Gracie)

Results:
http://www.adcombat.com/news/2011-07-31/andre-galvao-wins-ultimate-absolute-final-complete-results

Galvao took home the trophy.

NHB podcast
http://nhbnews.podomatic.com/entry/2011-07-31T16_42_30-07_00

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

OrangeCrush posted:

did you see cyborg get slammed? I guess he hurt his shoulder and couldnt continue.
No I ended up missing the tournament because I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art where they have the Alexander McQueen exhibition.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

A short video from the Ultimate Absolute NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go6RKh5jmvk

Rob will be running another one in February for the top lightweights (155 and under)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 6, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

dokomoy posted:

I got my purple last night from Jean Jacques Machado.
Congrats!

fatherdog posted:

Congrats. Please enjoy the next few months of every blue belt rolling approximately 50% harder when they go with you.
This is so so true. When I got my purple, blues starting gunning for me like they were going to get their purple by tapping me. There was at least one guy a class who was rolling like it was the finals of the mundials. When I got my brown though, pretty much no one was gunning for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

huh posted:

In this video from the Ultimate Absolute, can anyone tell me the name of the move at 9.30?

It's the one where Rustam has a north/south control when Galvao is turtled. Rustam sort of does a sit out and spins Galvao at the same time.

Also, Galvao looks like 50 cent.
I don't know what the name of the move is but it is one that we learn at our school. Rustam does it out of double overs but I've seen it more out of front headlock. You step out to the same side as the trapped arm. It is a counter to your opponent getting into 4 point stance. You notice Rustam hits it as Galvao start to lift his hips up.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nierbo posted:

Another one for you RR, or someone else.
When an opponent turtles up they expect me to stand over them from behind or try a turnover, but whats to stop me from doing a darce choke? Seems like no one ever expects that. And they can tuck their chin as much as they want, it won't make the choke less effective right?
You mean arm triangle and don't actually mean d'arce do you? The d'arce is a particular arm triangle. I presume you are discussing an arm triangle set up off a front headlock with one arm inside. The thing that keeps you from locking on an arm triangle on a turtled opponent is that in a proper turtle his arms and elbows are in a defensive position that allows him to prevent you form getting a proper grip and once you get the grip your opponent can still sit out or sit back into guard.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Walmart and Target The non-MMA board shorts are way cheaper and also last a long time. Guys at the gym say they last longer than the premium MMA brands.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

mobn posted:

What's everyone else's favorite non-bread-and-butter sub?
I don't use it much but my favorite unconventional sub starts from bottom side control. I get collar grips and roll away from my partner letting him take my back then finish the collar choke while he is back mounted on me.

My second favorite unconventional sub is this armbar which occurs 64 minutes in this Braulio video
http://www.budovideos.com/online/shows/rolledup/rolled-up-epsiode-29-training-the-gray-areas-with-braulio-estima/
I taught myself it from this video and use it once in a while for fun

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 22, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

EDIT:
Also did you compete in the Renzo Gracie Open today at the MMA Expo?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 18, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Your first 3 bullet points were the first things I noticed. It seemed like you were rolling at a training in the gym kind of pace not a competition pace. I felt like you really could have taken advantage of his tendency to disengage and separate when something failed for him but instead you took a more passive tack. Also lingering in that inside collar tie while he has a same side outside collar tie is of course not a great thing as evidenced by that flying triangle attempt.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

CivilDisobedience posted:

Your error was in not posting your leg vs his deep half guard. The sweep and failed d'arce are both results of that mistake.
Holy crap. I don't think you understand the deep half.

quote:

I'm telling you that if you're gonna stay at that distance instead of scooting in to elevate his hips at every available opportunity, feet on hips will give you more control than butterfly hooks, even if he's not constantly driving into you. You're not gonna stop him from backing out either way, that should be clear enough to you by now.
Nor open guard.

fatherdog made plenty of mistakes but you've somehow managed to identify none of them.

quote:

Where do you train again? I'd love to visit sometime, especially after all your poo poo talking.
Holy loving lol! You're threatening to dojo storm. I get it now. Nice trolling.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Conventional de la riva is less common in no gi and reverse de la riva is generally more useful in that context.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

awkward_turtle posted:

I had pretty much the same problem of getting my opponent to engage at the last in house tournament we had. I've been trying to work a couple things to counter it, and the most effective ways I've found were single legging when your opponent tries to step inside, what I call the "dickhead sweep" ie, blocking the ankles and shoving his knees, and wrapping the lead leg and using a butterfly sweep type motion on your opponents instep to pop him forward so you can shoot your hips to foot lock (anaconda) guard.
From my own stylistic perspective, when opponents try to keep out of grip and hook range, I feel that there is absolutely nothing keeping me from standing up and I frequently do so. You don't have to be wed to the bottom game. Frequently in training there is an unwritten gentlemen's agreement that one guy will work bottom and one top until a sweep is hit. But in competition when someone disengages when on top you can try instead to just stand.

Additionally I like to use takedowns or dynamic reversals as opposed to controlled sweeps when opponents give me that kind of distance. Out of butterfly I'll post my hand on the opposite side of his front leg out then S out my legs to the other side and shoot forward on my knees while grabbing the heel of his front leg with my head to the inside of his knee and collect up the back knee for the low double as I circle into him.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I think you should be focusing first on the high single not the low single. Also single legs at least the ones I use don't rely on ankle control. Please describe in a very detailed manner what it is that you are doing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

White belt BJJ question: Anyone have any beginner tips from half guard on the bottom? I have gotten fairly good at catching a leg when people open my guard and pass, but can't seem to do much from there except hold out until I get to tired to stop them from mounting/passing. I'd love to be able to do a sweep from there, but can't find anything.
I've become something of a half guard specialist.

Here are some of my tips for a good basic bottom half guard.

The keys to a good half guard:
* Your legs should be locked above your opponent's knee on the thigh. It should not be locked on his calf. This gives you better control (Much of half guard passing requires your opponent to pull his knee free first.)

* Do NOT get flattened out. Your opponent will generally want to flatten you in order to pass. Most commonly your opponent will do this by using the arm on his free leg side and sliding it under your head to crossface you with his shoulder and by underhooking your outside arm with his trapped leg side arm. Prevent this by bringin your crossface side elbow into you side and using your hand to grip his crossface arm bicep and keep it pushed away. Now get onto your side on your inside hip/cross face side hip.

* Get the underhook on the trapped arm side. Pummel in your arm elbow first (not hand first!) to get under opponent's underhook and turn it into you underhook. Don't get a pathetic shallow underhook. Drive your arm deep in so that your shoulder is under his armpit. You can use 2 common approaches here - 1) reach across opponent's back and get the far hip grip OR 2) turn your hand so that your pinky is pointed toward the ceiling and drive the arm up in the direction of opponent's head to push him forward

* Get the proper leg hook! If opponent has the trapped leg side underhook, you need to have your inside leg hooking over the trapped leg. If you have the trapped leg side underhook instead, then you need to have you outside leg hooked over opponent's trapped leg. If you have the underhook and the outside leg hook then use your outside hook to drag opponent's leg outward aggressively.

* Now slide your bicep post arm back behind you on the mat to prop up your upper body and keep your head in tight to opponent's chest

Now you have proper conventional half guard position. (You can return to full guard from here by keep your outside leg hook and pulling your inside leg knee to your chest and swinging it around opponent to regain full guard)

From this position, usually your opponent will deep overhook/whizzer your underhooking arm. If he does not, there is no reason why you can't simply come to your knees and take his back. If he does whizzer, you can still come to your knees but you will be side by side with your underhook and his overhook in the dogfight position.

To come to your knees simply drive your underhook arm upwards in the direction of opponent's head to drive him forward and pull the outside leg hook outside. Slide your inside leg out from between opponent's legs by pulling the knee to you and keep it on the mat and post the sole of the foot onto the front of opponent's trapped leg knee to block his leg. Post your free hand out and lift your hips up off the mat and swing your inside leg back under you onto its knee. Now pummel your outside hook shin onto the back of opponent's near calf.

You can retain the inside hook if you really want to swing your leg over to completely come onto his back but I prefer to come to my knees first as most people will have the whizzer and you do NOT want to try to take a back when your opponent has a whizzer locked on you.

Defensively, you opponent will start to come off his knee and start leaning onto you with the weight of his whizzer.

One approach here is to race him to a throw. whoever brings bring their near knee across the front of their opponent's knees first will have the advantage in throwing.

An alternative is to use your opponent's weight to do an outside roll. Use your posted hand to grip the outside/hamstring of opponent's near/whizzer side leg then drop your head and leg grip side shoulder onto the mat under opponent's torso and use opponent's own force to roll through and sweep opponent onto his back for an "outside roll."

Instead of coming to your knees you can also do a more traditional roll from the above conventional half guard position, by getting a grip on the far hip across the back with your underhook arm then underhooking opponent's free leg with your free arm. Remember to drag the trapped leg outward with your outside leg. Now bridge to get your opponent's weight forward onto you and roll to the trapped leg side for the inside roll. Expect you opponent to post out his underhooked arm to defend the sweep.

Now this roll and getting to your knees work together. As you sweep your opponent will post out an arm letting go of the whizzer as soon as his hand hits the mat reverse directions and swing out onto your knees to take his back before he can relock the whizzer. Go back and forth from sweep to knees aggressively and repeatedly and you can usually at least come out to you knees without a whizzer on you.

Alternatively, you could go for a single and stand into a single but I usually don't.

One tip for getting that underhook on your opponent, Use your inside leg to hook opponents trapped leg and bring your outside leg knee diagonally across opponent's chest for a "shield" half guard (I think some people call it z guard). Glue your elbow to your knee and kick your leg down and away to create space and allow you to pummel in your elbow.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 17, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Be careful of the shallow Z. If your opponent drops his shoulder onto your top leg and hugs your legs together and sprawls he may be able to pass.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks. I'm trying to get into teaching and coaching. Obviously I'm underqualified to teach at the academy given that every instructor is pretty much world class but I'd like to start assistant teaching if I can ever make any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Although I can't understand Norwegian, it looked like you did a nice job. I can't give you a full critique of your teaching style because of the language barrier but I can give you some tips on teaching.

First prepare before you teach. Decide what you want to teach your students. Try to develop a curriculum so that you are not simply teaching a collection of random techniques.

Second, I use a structure similar to the following (I'm not quite explaining the same move as you but rather a classic hip escape from side control. I use a different move for very strong crossface pressure):

A couple of sentences introducing the move and providing context like:

A common situation you will find yourself in is side control. Usually a knowledgeable opponent will maintain control using his shoulder to maintain a strong cross-face to prevent you from turning into him to reestablish guard. I'm going to show you one of the most fundamental escapes from this position: the hip escape/elbow escape from side control. This is something you're going to have to keep drilling and using until you master it.

Then explain the opponent's position:

Your opponent has established a strong side control position. Perhaps he got here by passing your guard or by taking you down into side control. Your opponent has one arm under your head and is using his shoulder to apply pressure to your face to keep your head turned away. This prevents your from turning your head into him which is a critical component of many escapes from side control. In addition he establishes a far side underhook to keep you from using an underhook to turn onto your side. He also keeps his knee tight to your near hip and keeps his underhooking arm elbow tight against your far side to control your far hip. He keeps his weight over your chest. This position immobilizes your hips, flattens you out and prevents you from turning your head inward toward your opponent.

Now give an overview of your response:

Now you are going to escape by bridging and hip escaping away from your opponent then bringing your knee in to restore guard but to do this your going to have to create a frame to relieve the crossface pressure and to create the space necessary to hip escape

Now explain the critical parts of establishing your initial position:

You are going to have to create a frame with your forearms. One forearm will slide across the front of opponent's hip with the hand cupped against the side of his hip closer to your head. The second forearm will be across the front of his neck with the hand posted on the top of his crossfacing shoulder. To bring this second forearm across slide your hand between you under his chin. Do not try to bring the arm in across his face or you will leave that arm isolated arm vulnerable to attacks such as a simple Americana [AT THIS POINT DO THE WRONG THIS AND HAVE YOUR PARTNER DEMONSTRATE THE AMERICANA] The forearm across the neck will make it possible for you to create upward pressure which is more difficult to resist.

Typically you will have your knee of your leg that is closer to your opponent's legs against his sole with the sole of your foot on top of your other knee in order to block your opponent from mounting. But to escape now you will have to plant both feet on the mat with your knees up. Now you will want your feet posted as close to your butt as possible. [SCOOT YOUR FEET IN TO SHOW YOUR STUDENTS] The strength of your bridge depends on how close you keep your feet to your butt.

Now explain the move in detail providing the critical details:

You'll push upward on your opponents hips and throat with your arms to relieve crossface pressure and and bridge strongly to your near shoulder. You will not be relying on your arm strength but rather your back and legs. After you bridge, hip escape away by dropping your hips away from your opponent in a strong hip escape away but keep your arms extended in the position they were in at the top of your bridge. Maintaining the frame allows space to develop under your opponent. This space will only be there very temporarily so act quickly.

[EMPHASIZE COMMONLY MISSED CRITICAL DETAILS]Lift your leg that is closer to opponent's legs in the air and point the knee downwards into the pocket of his hip. [EXPLAIN WHY] If you just try to bring the knee in sliding it along the mat your opponent's knee will block your as he aggressively tries to close the gap to your near hip. Instead, by lifting the leg and angling the knee downward into the pocket of his hip. You avoid running into his leg and place your knee into a strong position to push him away. Now push your opponent away with your knee and extend your head and torso away from your opponent to bring you back in line with him. At the same time pummel in your hip post hand onto his crossface arm bicep to push it away.

As more space develops, bring that lead leg in either to get a butterfly hook or all the away across to the other side. Now hip escape to the other side to establish the second butterfly hook or lock up full guard.

Show the move again while explaining common mistakes, common reactions by your opponent and how to address the common reactions.

Ask if anyone has any questions

Have students drill while walking the mat and correcting them

Move on to the next technique or if you see too many common errors explain the error and have them repeat the drill

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 18, 2012