Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

shizen posted:

are there any free instructional videos online for basic moves to just learn the sport better? Not really subs but more positioning, guard passes, sweeps ext.

Sweeps and passes are fairly easy to find, but positioning is sort of the meat and potatoes of the sport that can be harder to find information on. You pretty much have to do it to get it. Best way would probably be to watch matches on youtube. Intermediate and advanced nogi and purple and brown gi. I can't really recommend black belt level matches just because gi is so relatively slow and steady it can be hard to figure out why the guys are doing what they're doing. Purples and browns are going to do some crazy stuff but make less mistakes, and they don't game plan as well/ have as much riding on the matches so they're more willing to open up. The Grapplers Quest channel might be a good one to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Marcelo stuff

Just gonna add, the main reason that Marcelo only has 1 fight is because of K-1 jerking him around for an entire year with cancellations. He basically stayed in fight camp with ATT the entire time, and the whole experience left a sour taste in his mouth, so he's just concentrating on grappling and growing his organization now. MGinaction.com is an awesome site, I had an account for a while before I messed up my knee and I learned a ton.

K-1 ruins everything.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

dokomoy posted:

I'm not quite sure about how the rules work regarding sweep to turtle but in the finals of last years Pan Am open class Antonio Braga Neto was up on advantages over Bernardo Faria when Bernardo attempted an omoplota, he didn't get Antonio to roll so he released the arm and came up to top of turtle and got two points and won the match.

That counts as a sweep because Faria started in bottom guard and ended up on top. The issue is that if Neto had passed his turtle by shoving him to side control, it wouldn't actually count as a guard pass, and if Faria had Granby Rolled Neto from bottom turtle to side control, that likewise would not oval office as a sweep. Also, people will "turn turtle" to block a pass, and even if they get taken over it doesn't ount for points, since it's the guard pass that's worth points, not the attaining f side control. Sport BJJ doesn't really know what to make of the turtle. It's one of my favorite positions thanks to Telles' DVD but it is kinda strange.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

OrangeCrush posted:

Tonight I wore my Koral MKM for the first time. Ive always been a guy who said, man gently caress those expensive gi's, my fuji and gameness are just as good.

Wrong, the korals are seriously worth every loving penny.

I guess there's a reason that Korals are so favored by the upper level guys (who aren't getting their stuff custom made by a sponsor). Never gotten to try one myself, but I remember the difference when I moved from my gyms crappy cheap judo gi to an Atama Gold Weave. What would you say is different about the Koral? Fit, feel, durability?

In the vein, what do the people in this thread own? I've got an Atama and a Padilla and Sons Goldweave, and they've both served me pretty well, plus the crap Gladiator gi that I still use.

I'm gonna be so ridiculously happy when I can start grappling again.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

fawker posted:

After watching BJ Penn fight earlier tonight, I noticed how ridiculously flexible his hips were.

Is this something that NORMAL people could eventually acheive or are you pretty much limited by what you're born with.

Kinda both, BJ is naturally flexible but he's said before that he was to work at it and that he stretches every day. There are natural limits to what you can do safety based on the depth and angle of the hip joints though.

quote:

- Weirdest guard game I've seen, Alessandro Roman (came in 4th at no-gi worlds purple belt division, 2nd at the Euros last month as a blue belt). Another guy with really long legs. He would pull half guard and then switch to De La Riva. Instead of attempting a sweep from the DLR however, he would turn his rear end towards his opponent and end up upside down with one leg in between his opponent's legs and the other on the shoulder or the hips somewhere. Eventually, he would take the guy's back and finish with a bow and arrow choke. If the back take failed, he would end up in a 50/50 guard or an upside down 50/50. Really weird guard game; he was catching a bunch of guys with it. Unfortunately, he was disqualified for reaping the knee in his semi-final match.

Do you have any video of this? It sounds kinda like Spiral Guard or Cyborg's Tornado Guard but I'm having trouble visualizing it.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

mobn posted:

My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

If you've got extra long arms you can grab higher and slightly off center, ala Roger vs. Randleman

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
$80 a month for unlimited, but I live in the a fairly small southern town and our gym is kind of ghetto. Just a bathroom and an open space with mats, plus a few pads.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Jiu-Jitsu university has a lot of stuff in it that looks gi specific, but isn't really. Saulo's game is heavily oriented towards gross body movement. Gi grips make those attacks more secure, but as long as it's not a collar choke or a pants driven sweep, it still works.

Eddie Bravo's books are no gi oriented, but they all exist to pimp his system, and 10th planet, as a system, is kind of gimmicky. Theres a bit of grappling in Karo's book but it mostly focuses on takedowns. Just learn stuff, some of it is applicable, some of it isn't, it'll all increase your knowledge.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

gimpsuitjones posted:

how does one not get guillotined when shooting a double. (I cannot wrestle at all)

Simple set up:
Face your opponent in your staggered stance. Hands up to defend your neck if they grab for it, elbows in to block underhooks, legs bent somewhat and ready to shoot. Right leg forward for a right handed wrestler, since it puts your strong side forward for collar ties and allows you to penetrate better. If your opponent is orthodox, he's doing the same thing. If he's leading left leg, don't try to shoot the double, shoot the single or try something else.

Enter into shooting range. This is roughly equivalent to jabbing range, or a bit shorter. Grab your opponents wrists, one to each hand, and push them down. If he doesn't resist, congratulations, you now have wrist control and can work to establish underhooks or other controls. Most people are going to resist. When you push down, they push up. Give them a little extra push, to keep the hands moving upward, and push your knee to the ground, immediately circling the outside (left) leg around, and burying your head in the side of their ribcage, looking up. Hands go to the backs of the knees, or even link together if you've surprised the guy enough. Lift and turn, coming off your back leg, and land across their body in side control, ie head on the opposite side of their body from your legs. It's practically impossible to be guillotined here if you don't freak out and get flipped. If you do get stuck, drive towards north south and circle around.

Mistakes: Not setting up the shoot with hand motions, which leaves their arms in a position to cross face you or guillotine. Arching the back, which takes away from the power of the shot. Not turning the corner, which leaves you head on and in bad position. Not penetrating deeply enough, or bending at the waist, both kill your power and place your neck in a dangerous position.

Practice you shadow shots to get a feel for it. Don't think about slamming your knee into the ground, think about skimming along it, that's how fast you turn the corner.

4 slightly more advanced setups from gable. Note how these guys have to drive through to take their opponents over. It's usually not that hard in sub wrestling, but it's good to know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_cOf9YhIQ

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

fawker posted:

I've only really started BJJ lessons for like 2 weeks now. I feel that if I was to go to the free rolling sessions, I would only get in the way and nobody would want to roll with the silly noobie. Should I get a better grasp of some basics before showing up to these sessions or should I just show up and be someone's grappling dummy.

You're like a practice dummy that moves. I'm gonna roll with you, and use the oppertunity to practice my leg overs in side control or something like that. Just go, experience is good.

What I used to do was roll, then go home and look up a sub, a position, or a pass I'd had trouble with that day and try to figure out where I was doing it wrong.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I'm really loving Ryan Hall lately, he's come a long way from being the inverted guard guy, aka, "Dr. Ryangle." Much more complete Jiu-jitsu while still retaining that smoothness that made him fun to watch. Rafa is still a freak monster though. Not looking forward to possibly seeing the the finals and semi's being entirely closed out with a handshake.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

fawker posted:

holy poo poo hahahaha

All Pablo's dude's look like real life action figures.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Anybody here have experience coming back from a knee injury? Back into December I tore my right knee up pretty bad off a failed takedown, and then had to delay the surgery till March because of my school schedule. I'm lighter a chunk of my lateral meniscus now and I'll probably deal with some MCL instability, from tearing it in half, the rest of my life. On the bright side what they originally thought was a total ACL tear turned out to be a partial tear and I didn't need a replacement. I'm up to about 80% of strength, relative to the other leg, and overall lower body strength is obviously lower than it was before the accident since I haven't deadlifted or squated in 4 months now. I'm hoping to start going for at least technique and drilling in a couple weeks when I get my strength up better, get a decent hinge brace, and can actually sit on my knees.

What'd you do for bracing? How'd you work back in? Any thing you fund you had to avoid?

1st AD posted:

Did I kill the tendon in my biceps or something? About a month ago I got caught in a nasty armbar and I couldn't tap quickly enough before it felt seriously stretched out. I've been avoiding doing workouts that strain my biceps because there's still a ton of residual soreness any time I flex it.

I started rolling again last week and everything felt great, then yesterday someone slapped on an americana and the second he started torquing it I started to feel a sharp pain.

Could've re injured. Work it gently with very light weights, RICE it, and tap faster I guess. Whether it's a full blown tear or not is a question you'd need to be examined to answer.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 30, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Chexoid posted:

If you really hate me and wanna see me lurch around like a retard then get choked in my first every grappling match then peep this vid.

Like every white belt ever you need to work on your posture and negating your opponents grips. Cheers, I lost my first grappling match by a double digit point deficit, just come back smarter, and stronger. You've found something you're weak at, make it better.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

nemoulette posted:

I sat down and tried to evaluate my guard game yesterday and realized that I only go for the De La Riva all the time without really thinking about it. What are some good sweeps from it? All I do is try to trip the non-hooked leg or take the back.

http://www.grapplearts.com/De-la-Riva-Guard.html

^Is a good start from the man himself. Sleeve control is really important to sweeping forward. Notice also that you need to be able to flow into a modified half guard or Reverse De La Riva depending on your opponents actions. Rolling inverted for the 50/50 is an option too if that's your thing.

One of my friends just had a seminar with De La Riva in London and I'm looking forward to picking his brain next time he's in the States.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
There's no testing, so a lot of competitors are absolutely on the Bombas. Gi Jiu-jitsu has a pretty high strength v. power requirement, and plenty of guys are looking for any way to get out of the favela. They're going to dose, and probably in unsafe and impure ways. Off the top of my head Alliance and Atos have had some accusations and they're who Caio was mainly talking about, but it's all over the place. If I found out that, say, Pablo Popavitch's whole team was on gear I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
A really basic write up of some standard wrestling takedowns. I obviously know folkstyle shooting stuff better than Greco or Freestyle, if anyone want to add anything be my guest.

Double: A shooting take down in which the offensive wrestler bends his lead leg to hange levels and penetrates under the opponent, capturing both legs at the knee and placing himself under the hips. To finish he will drive on the back leg and turn the opponent around his neck to take him to the mat. Countered with the sprawl.

High Single: A shooting take down either on it own, or off a failed double. The offensive wrestler takes control of the opponents lead leg above the knee and lifts it from the mat to his own chest. From here there are multiple finishes, with the most common being to “hike” the leg and turn to drop the opponent to the mat.

High Crotch: A shooting takedown in which the wrestler penetrates under the opponent to gain control of one leg and the hips. Diverse finishes based on opponent reaction, including switching to the Double and taking the back.

Inside Trip: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler wraps his opponents leg from the inside and drives toward the trapped leg.

Headlock: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler encircles the opponents neck and arm with his own arms, performs and cross step, pivots, and throws the opponent with his hips as a fulcrum.

Twisting Body Lock: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler achieves superior control over the opponents body, locks his hands, and lifts him from the mat and to the side to take him down.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Gonna pimp Drill to Win once again. The whole book is a gold mine of grappling related drills that can work as conditioning for one person, or partners. It doesn't really construct a work out for you, but it's phenomenal for ideas. Andre's trained with a lot of high level people and he's obviously been collecting these for years. Couture's book was mostly just a crappier version of this one with some barbell complexes. It's great to have for yourself, and when I was running the occasional class it was even better.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
RNC: The details

-seatbelt grip is even more important than hooks for back control, hooks without upper body control can be escaped, upper body control makes it easier to keep the position and work. You can even set it entirely without the hooks if you get it in and deep quickly. Seatbelt allows you to trap a wrist as well, and it's reaaaaaally hard to defend the RNC with only one arm.

- best to worst positioning: Belly down flattened, Arm trapped with your leg, side lying with your "top" (over the shoulder)arm to the mat, sitting, side lying with the top arm up.

-When you seatbelt, grab as high as you can on the top forearm, and keep it covered with the underhook arm. This'll make it much harder for them to grab the choking wrist, as a blind grab will only tie up their hands.

-Go straight in. Marcelo uses what he calls the "can opener" to get under tucked chins. Basically, the blade of the forearm goes to the chin, and you keep turning it up and down to force the chin up bit by bit.

-his chin by your elbow, hand on or past your bicep, head tucked, back hand tucked all the way behind the head. If you've got long arms, you might have to go as high as your shoulder to get a good angle.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Something lawful posted:

Why is one better than the other? I am having trouble picturing it.

Top arm up places them in good position for the wrestlers escape, where they break your grip and drag it over the head, putting both arms on the same side of their body. Harder to maintain position or not initiate a scramble than top arm to the mat. Plus if they try it with top arm down they're practically pulling it into a guillotine when they turn over.

If ypou're having trouble visualizing it, think of doing a seatbelt with your right arm over the shoulder and your left arm under the armpit. If you and your partner fell to the right, you're in good position, if you fell to the left, you're in worse position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBqw0ZjBKk
Check out marcelo's back taking from about 1:50 on. Takes the seatbelt, works his hooks in, rolls from wrong side to right side, attempts the arm trap then gets it on the other arm, wrist trap, and a combination of upwards and sideways pressure to get under the chin.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

We were doing a lot of seatbelt last week at Marcelo's. I'm taking the liberty of adding your posts to my class notes about it. :3

Ironically everything I know about this position comes from practice, reading the UG, and most importantly, careful scrutiny of MGinAction back when I had an account. I have a man crush on your instructor.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Old but good. Bicep slicers aren't just pain moves folks. http://youtu.be/bYY8tJeoLVY

I used to train with the kid doing the breaking. The other guy was bragging about his pain tolerance before hand. I admit, I'd have been freaking out.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

delljit posted:

Family and friends have no idea what I do in comp. Everything between the handshake at the start and the submission at the end is lost to them. If there was no submission they are even more confused.

I've been congratulated by my family for a match before. I lost by cross collar choke while mounted. They thought I'd won.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I like how the lower belts tend to freak out and the higher belts tend to immediately counter, or at least instantly grab inside grips.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Hall goes up new york to train with Marcel fairly often, and he recently started competing under the Alliance banner. There's some no-gi footage on youtube too.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

TwistedNails posted:

Thanks Xguard86 I might buy a Padilla & Son goldweave, that looks like a steal for the price.

Do it, I've got one, it's fantastic. Everything you could want in cut and quality. There's a guy at my gym with a high quality X Guard gi and the only real difference is in the detailing and cosmetics. Padilla has the absolute best and most secure stitching and reinforcement of any gi I've ever personally handled.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

BlindSite posted:

Why is Ryan hall so regarded? My coach has rollled with him and mentioned him but didn't go into detail about who he is or where he trains etc

I'd rank him as the best home grown american black belt. Very smooth, fluid style, very good at what he does, and competes a lot. When he was at the lower belts he took a lot of people out using a very distinctive inverted guard style and a lot of heel hooks. A large portion of the Ryan Hall legend is also that when he was training under Lloyd Irvin, Irvin pimped the hell out of him using a very effective marketing machine. He broke away a couple of years ago though, and after getting his black belt and competing under Brasa for a while he's now competing with Alliance. The change seems to have something to do with all the time he's been spending in New York training under Marcelo.

As for what's so cool about him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY

He's got some pretty good instructionals out too, I like his teaching style.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're confusing skin with intestines.

Edit: A medical mobn

No he's right actually. The skin has a normal flora just like the intestines that helps keep unusual and unwelcome bacteria from invading. Clear out the normal flora and it may be recolonized with something different. Staph clearing protocol in my hospital involves antibiotic ointment in the nose, as anyone with long term staph aureus colonization has it all up in their nares and if you clean the skin it just comes back.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I had pretty much the same problem of getting my opponent to engage at the last in house tournament we had. I've been trying to work a couple things to counter it, and the most effective ways I've found were single legging when your opponent tries to step inside, what I call the "dickhead sweep" ie, blocking the ankles and shoving his knees, and wrapping the lead leg and using a butterfly sweep type motion on your opponents instep to pop him forward so you can shoot your hips to foot lock (anaconda) guard.

Honestly it's a little wierd because it looks like we're basically playing the same guard game. Butterfly, DLR, and a tendency to go to half guard against the angle. My coach had been Berimbolo crazy for months now, and against my stupid hips he can hit it no gi even against my combat base. I've had more success getting the deep DLR and getting arm drags off it, or letting him break my hook, going to spiral guard and rolling inverted to sweep forward.

I was really hoping for the half guard arm drag from 1:00 of this ryan hall video.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Paul Pot posted:

all i noticed was fatherdog doing the kj noons and i can appreciate that

i'm thinking about joining a traditional wrestling gym (as in not mma wrestling).
1. how likely is it that these people practice in singlets?
2. i should expect to buy wrestling shoes, right?

1. Probably not
2. Most definitely. Big difference in your shooting and ability to drive, plus less likely to turn a toe in the mats.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Just signed up for a Cyborg Abreu seminar this saturday. Woop Woop invert your guard everyday.

My instructors instructor (this guy)came up last friday to teach and that was tons of fun. Plus we're supposed to be getting a seminar with Luiz Palhares, my instructor's intructor's instructor, in May or so. It'd be the first time I've ever even seen a red and black belt in person, so that's awesome. There aren't a lot of school out here, and the nearest black belts we're not directly affiliated with are at least 2 hours away. It's a great chance to get exposed to a new game. I'm excited.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

What's the name of the back take Leo Viera does here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-YjdqAm1iXE#t=88s

I found a couple of variations on youtube, but they don't seem to be exactly the same thing.

The cambalhota, which just means Somersault in Portuguese. The key is strong underhooks and chest to back pressure to make sure uke gets pulled forward with you.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

Don't be like me!

Or do! Smashing a white belt rubber guard will never cease to be hilarious to me. Too bad my new instructor actually likes the rubber guard and particularly Eddies Half guard game. I've spent years specifically avoiding the lockdown.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

MycroftXXX posted:

A lot of competitions ban slamming people, however if its allowed in the rules you can't really be pissed if someone does it.

Banning slams just means that you can't jump into it. High arcing throws are still explicitly allowed. I've seen massive Harai Goshi and Uchi Mata in BJJ comps and thrown a (bad) twisting suplex myself in a comp. Obviously judging is going to be different for different ruling bodies but the only times I've seem slams called were guys busting triangles rampage style and once or twice when Uki hit the deep double, picked Tori up, and turned the corner on one foot to come down harder.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

district of thizz posted:

I've been taking BJJ classes for about 10 months and it has been pretty fun. I wrestled when I was younger so it is nice to learn something new while being able to use my old skills. One thing I have been consistently having issues with is passing the closed guard of taller opponents (for reference I'm 5' 4 so a lot of people). The one beginning guard pass that works most often for me is the one where you control a sleeve, step into your opponent, and then bring them down while forcing your knee into their guard to create space. I use a lot of muscle for that pass so I was curious if there are more efficient ways for a short guy to pass closed guard.

On a side note a purple belt I was doing guard pass drills with did a knees to feet in my closed guard and then worked from there to pass my guard. Are there passes which use that or was he just messing around?

Grab a sleeve, step into him, and stand up at an angle. Turn your hip and use your other hand to push the knee down and open guard. Seal your forward elbow and forward knee and begin passing from combat base. Obviously this works better in gi but closed guard no gi is slightly different. At least, if I'm not misinterpreting your comments and this isn't what you're already doing. The other pass you're talking about, did he have bicep control? That's my favorite pass for the closed guard in no-gi. Double bicep, stand up, block the hip, and pressure back with the knee in.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
So my instructor's been doing some videos lately for fun and practice, and I think he's managed to make the cutest one ever with one of the kids class girls.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=611909695496071

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Xguard86 posted:

Here is a link to a shared google drive document on the full OP. If you want to contribute, please edit there. I will try to curate and edit to keep it consistent. I can work on this until Saturday, then I am on vacation. So we can post the new thread before I go or we can finish up when I return.

Please post here to let me know if you edit the doc and what section, so I don't miss anything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LsoUx0i1UnlzgqpNQFV2CehzmR0RlK7IaD_4S58mxY8/edit?usp=sharing

link is in in OP too in case we lose this post.

Working on some relevant information for the BJJ section. It's already outsized compared to the rest, so feel free to edit it down. Unless of course someone want to do a write up of notable wrestlers and Judoka.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Xguard86 posted:

the older generation of Gracies have been pretty disappointing recently. Fingers crossed Renzo doesn't get crushed into a country breakfast.

Renzo at least is still active in training current, good grapplers and fighters. I'm Nova Uniao now but I used to be with a Royce affiliate. They ended up leaving the association because Royce is going just as nuts to his affiliates as he is to the general population.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

ICHIBAHN posted:

The lighter the better for me, and I'm not even just talking about summer heat (not done bjj in the summer yet). I just much prefer the speed and fluidity of no gi, so a gi as close to that feeling as possible is the ideal. I went for the Gameness one btw. Cheers.

Sounds like you've already made your decision but I'm partial to the lighter weight KINGZ gis. They're cut with a long torso to arm and leg ratio, and fit me a lot better than most gis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Keg posted:

Has anybody watched Ryan Hall's DVDs? I'm looking at the guard passing one but the price tag is pretty steep.

I own deep half and back attacks, they're some of the best dvds I own, although the rolling back attacks presented are arguably a few years behind the cutting edge of the metagame now. It's not gonna matter if you're not rolling with Rafa Mendes though.

Nierbo posted:

Does anyone ever use an arm triangle from the bottom to sweep or should I just always go for an overhook before I think about sweeping.

IMO the shucking back take is usually the stronger option, with the rollover sweep the back it up as a compliment.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 27, 2016