Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Depends who he was up against, but here's some cool Frank Mir grappling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs

That was some cool skinny Roy Nelson grappling you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I train at a former TLI affiliate. I have never raped or assaulted anyone...

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Mr. Pool posted:

I've been having a hard time actually finishing chokes once getting someones back, but then I learned to just go palm to palm and force their head to turn, and then you can pretty much always sneak a hand under the chin :D

Palm to palm and forcing their head to turn eh.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCpnW546YH4 (don't do this to people you still want to train with in the future and sorry for potato quality)

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
The Pan Am games are coming to my home town this summer and I'm looking at purchasing tickets to judo or wrestling. Are there any grapplers/weight classes in particular that I should be scoping out? I'm a BJJ guy so I don't know poo poo about the Pan Am scene for either sport, but I would sure love to see some high level man hugging.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Who's the guy in the purple spats? He's my new idol.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Posted by a friend that just got back from the Metamoris Challenger Finals:

quote:

The Metamoris studio is a dump on the edge of Compton. They don't even have enough printed contracts for us to sign lol.

Keep it classy Ralek.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Or just stop caring about belt promotions and be the 10-year blue belt you know you were truly meant to be.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Some people just don't handle it well when they realize another man could kill them at will via crotch to face. Remember, real Republicans don't lay under a grown man with their legs spread.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I usually re-watch Firas' armbar finishers whenever I need a refresher or find myself getting stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzO6NEicUw

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I think going slow on the pull or crank once you have something locked in is the right way to go as a beginner, especially if we're talking about drilling here. You don't need to be pulling your punches but don't force the entry. Slow is smooth. and smooth is fast.

Also, without knowing how big you are, please don't go slamming your 130 lb children, just slowly smash them. Think about focusing the pressure rather than exploding.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Wow, that's actually a really tactful response coming out of a gym. Usually you'd see something akin to a badly spelled facebook post.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Who was it in Pride that had devastating knees to the head from north south? GSP had some really nasty knees to the body from top side control as well - imagine if those were allowed to go to the head. It seems that it's the unified rules neutering knees from side control that makes it a less desirable position that top half since all you're left with from a GnP standpoint is short elbows and hammerfists.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks for both videos! That's my poo poo.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
My coach always stresses position before submission includes peeling dangerous grips before passing. Might be worth aborting the pass to strip grips until you figure out what you can get away with. Or just learn through trial and error getting choked in embarrassing positions. That's my favourite way of learning.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
You can use a cup to leverage armbars and stab people in the spine from back control :smuggo:

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I mean temporarily shutting down activities where another dude's sweat regularly drips into your eyeballs doesn't constitute as all of society.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Throwing in my 2 cents here - a big challenge with the striking "defense" I've been taught in a bjj class is that most of your peers don't know the first thing about throwing a good punch (which is why we joined pajama hugging class in the first place). An mma class or dabbling in an actual striking discipline would get you far more bang for your buck from a self defense perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Thought I'd share this interesting video from an old training partner of mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdFeQhVmKk. Don't be fooled by the title - Jeff's hardly an "average" BJJ guy, he has a couple pro MMA fights under his belt including a win by RNC in OneFC - but I thought it was really fun watching him rolling at full speed with some super high level competitors including BOTH Miyao brothers.